Oct 2008
Aug 18, 2009 6:01 AM

Oct 2008
Crazyloop said:
Everyone knows he is Hiroshi Gamō.
Sep 26, 2009 8:17 AM
Jan 2009
1. More male than female characters in DN & B
2. Azuki's behaviour when Mashiro was ill (if autor was girl It'd go in different way)

Author is obviously male.
Oct 31, 2009 9:50 AM

Sep 2008
Hiroshi Gamō. ... yeah
Dec 11, 2009 12:28 AM

Sep 2008
Definitely a male. In Death Note, women didn't have a big role in the anime, they were seen as either an obstacle or a tool.
Merrie- Although useful at first, she later became nothing more than an obstacle.
Takada- Smart, but she was nothing more than a tool for Light.
Sayu- Light's sister was shown as nothing more but an annoying obstacle in Light's eyes. He really didn't care if she lived or died.
Sachiko- Light's mom was only seen as a nausance.
Misa- First a huge obstacle pretending to be Kira, then a useful tool for Light.
Pember's Fiancee- She was a clever obstacle, but in the end she faced her death.
Rem- Although in the beginning she seemed threatening and somebody that Light couldn't mess with, in the end she became the tool that killed L.

Portraying women this way, I highly doubt that Tsugumi is a female. Not to mention that in Bakuman, the two main characters are male and so are most of their competition. This shows that he Tsugumi feels more comfortable writing about male characters because he feels more connected to them, and can predict how male teenagers will act in specific situations.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2010 12:56 PM

Mar 2009
i agree about in both DN&bakuman women dont have big roles+those mangas somewhat looks sexist!(btw i dont know about Hiroshi Gamō thing) but..

.."Hobby: Collecting teacups." man!! is that a joke or s/he is a female that doesnt undestand about females at all?XD
Dec 16, 2010 8:30 PM

Mar 2009
i think he is a male pretending to be a female. it's a common thing in japan anyway. :)

Nov 19, 2012 2:40 PM

Jul 2011
Basing your arguments on the role of the females in their works is out of place. The same happens on hundreds of mangas, no mather if they are males or females. And that thing about being sexist? C'mon, the whole Japanese society is sexist. What is more sexist than a shoujo in which the only dream of the girl is to be a wife and the first thing she do for the boy we likes is make him a bento? Furthermore, you have to take in count that is a shounen, is made for boys. You have dozens of shounens made by females in which happens the same: Ranma 1/2, Ao No Exorcist, Fullmetal Alchemist, Magico...

A friend of mine bought recently the Bakuman character guide, and it came with an interview to both. First question to Obata: What was what called your attention the first time you met Ohba? Answer: His/her slim figure. First question to Ohba: What was what called your attention the first time you met Obata? Answer: He was too thin. Also, there was a draw of Ohba made by Obata, and although it was backwards, it was the figure of a girl.
Jan 11, 2013 5:04 PM

Dec 2011
As someone who read Ohba's stories ( yes, dn and bakuman ), you should think not twice but little more about it when answering, i voted here, and i'll just leave with this,
what if genius as, Ohba is, is with his/her stories and as you said, characters, and ways of doing and thinking - pointing at Sztormcia's reply - just want readers to think that it's male behind all of that, mislead, wrong sign - Perfect Crime ^^
Dec 28, 2015 1:01 AM

Nov 2015
I think he is male. And yes, he is Hiroshi Gamo.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.