Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 20, 2013 10:02 AM

Mar 2013
Slatrix said:
mattbenz99 said:
i thought about this while we were discussing whether or not avatar is an anime. i thought the usual definition that anime is animation made in japan is just so vague and so full of grey areas and loopholes. for example should the marvel anime be considered anime? the story was made in america and for the most part funded by the american companies. also what about if it was the reverse what if a Japanese company used pixar as an animation studio? would that be considered anime?

now keep in mind this is not an avatar debate we already had that. this is a topic about what makes anime anime and where is the line between what is and isn't anime

HOLY FLYING FUCK DONT YOU EVEN LISTEN TO ME?

You need a fucking lecture, a proper one. Because I've told you countless times that your dogshit argument isn't going to change anime's objective definition.

you obviously just dont like reading. in the upcoming years there will be a growing grey area in anime as the outsourcing of animation and as more american and japanese companies companies work together. so at what point does it stop being considered anime
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jul 20, 2013 9:13 PM

Aug 2008
Slatrix said:
anime's objective definition.

Objective? Yet, the original Japanese definition is ignored. Yea... keep pushing that buddy.

By the way, per that "objective definition", the Boondocks Season 2 is anime because it was done by an anime studio -- in Japan mind you.

mattbenz99 said:
you obviously just dont like reading. in the upcoming years there will be a growing grey area in anime as the outsourcing of animation and as more american and japanese companies companies work together. so at what point does it stop being considered anime

When more studios in America start picking up the anime-style more and more. Sure, the makers of Avatar studied anime, during their production.

Forgetfulness said:

I'm amazed you can still say this even when people have brought up examples like champagne. But OH WAIT, you're just going to say "it's a law" so obviously it's now morally acceptable, right?

Champagne is a special example, where champagne is defined by LAW. Consider it as a copyright... in order to prevent others from taking advantage of the name.

If Japan passes a similar law pertaining to anime, even I will be forced to shut up about it. Until then, this discussion continues. This "objective anime definition" isn't law; and it's funny how many treat it as some kind of SACRED DOCTRINE, where questioning it is deemed as heresy.
KyuuALJul 20, 2013 9:19 PM
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Jul 20, 2013 10:04 PM

Aug 2008
Forgetfulness said:
Regardless of whether it's a law, it still completely fits underneath your description of preventing people from making something because of their location/race/etc. So either they're both morally wrong, or neither are morally wrong

When I learned about that aspect of champagne, I thought it was stupid too. However, because of the law, it is pretty much a brand name. Just like Coke, no one else can make Coke, except other companies went ahead and made Coke-like products like Pepsi.

Forgetfulness said:
Also, we use that definition for convenience. If you take it away, "what is anime?" will become less clear and I'm sure a site for ONLY ANIME wouldn't want that, now would we?

Yes, I'm very well aware of that usage. Until 2006, I believed the same exact thing, until I thought about it with just one question: "Can Americans make anime?" And I answered that with: "Yes".

Now, my biggest surprise on this topic was this thread:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1639097

Years ago, it used to be my stomping ground for this very same topic; and yes, the discussion was just as inflamed then, as it is now. And I have to tell you, I felt really damned alone back then. Arguing there was like walking into a hornet's nest. Thankfully, I am seeing others, who are more open to taking on the view of the "extended definition" to anime. By the way, that's how I found out about RWBY. I didn't know about it until last month.

Best of all, profesional writing on the subject:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9829-Can-Americans-Make-Anime
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/07/12/feature-inside-rooster-teeths-rwby

As long as these kinds of productions continue, the dialogue will get more and more chatter. With RWBY, I am counting on it. A failure of this series, however, will be a setback.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Nov 1, 2015 1:30 AM

Dec 2014
Anime elitists' when someone defines anime as a style
MobiusThreeNov 1, 2015 1:42 AM
Nov 1, 2015 1:27 AM
Nov 2010
Anime is Japanese animation or Japanese-style animation. It's as simple as that. There's nothing complicated about it.
Nov 1, 2015 1:38 AM
Oct 2015
anime is like NETFLIX n CHILL
Nov 1, 2015 1:55 AM

May 2015
Anime is animated works made in Japan.

Why can't people settle on this definition?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 1, 2015 2:14 AM
Oct 2015
anime= japanese cartoon
Nov 1, 2015 10:03 AM

Dec 2014
Japanese definition of anime = ALL animation. so, as someone else stated on a different thread:

"Is RWBY an anime? Yes. It's ANIMated. Get over it.

Is RWBY a JAPANESE anime? No, it isn't."
Nov 1, 2015 10:39 AM

Jan 2008
How is this hard? If it was MADE in Japan, it's anime, regardless of where the source material came from. That means Japanese director, script-write, etc. The animation does not HAVE to be made in Japan though. Yes, the marvel anime is anime. No, Avatar is not anime. It's very simple.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» How do people finish anime they consider bad?

Rinrinka - 5 hours ago

28 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you agree that One Piece being the top 1 currently airing anime suggests this Spring is weak? ( 1 2 )

18927 - Jun 6

57 by OmegaMilo »»
20 minutes ago

» Watching the same anime over and over again

otaku2000anime - Yesterday

22 by Hikinekomori »»
22 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 3 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

109 by ryan77999 »»
23 minutes ago

» Why do you dislike historical anime?

perseii - 24 minutes ago

0 by perseii »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.