Forum Settings
Forums

what would win dual wielding swords vs a spear

New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 4, 2013 10:14 AM

Apr 2010
Spear has a large advantage due to range and the impracticability of dual wielding any weapon. I think realistically you would both kill yourselves if you tried to do anything with an actual weapon so I guess option C.
Jun 4, 2013 11:54 AM
Feb 2013
Dual swords were originally used by Ninja. One blade would be their combat blade and the other would be sacrificial. The one to be left behind was often used as a tool for climbing ect....
Jun 4, 2013 12:50 PM

Apr 2008
RandomChampion said:
apatch3 said:
RandomChampion said:
dankickyou said:
DatDanimexican said:
There's a reason people didn't dual wield weapons in real life.

Yeah lol. Too many people believe that anime fighting is real life. Swords are either used by cavalry who utilized them to deadly affects like Cuiraisiers , sword and shieldmen like Spanish Rodeleros, or two handed sword style (often paired with a good suit of armor) for massive shock like German Dopplesodners.

i agree spears/pikes are damn good in military combat

however, this is just a 1vs1 fight

It doesn't matter, the spear still wins - it's all about range, the swordsman isn't going to be able to get close enough to a skilled spear user. The spear user will always dictate the fight because he can adjust his range. While the swordsman constantly needs to get in range. If he get's close enough he can just be kicked away or off balance.

If the swordsman had a shield though he would stand a good chance.

Sword + Shield = much more effective than sword + sword.

i agree that a spear has more potential than a sword, and that a spear master can beat sword master

however, if both have equal skill, the sword user can literally throw the sword (maybe a machete or something) and charge for the kill (with other sword being a real dueling sword, preferably some kind of curved sword)

a lot of spear dueling techniques also employ the use of overhead strikes (so it's used like a staff too kind of). can block this with arm and maybe sword and go for the kill. the spear will get more hits, but the sword is deadlier in many more ways (since spear's deadliest motion is a only thrust)

Lmao fuck you we're going into matrix mode here. Also the point about overhead techniques is absolutely baseless, yes overhead techniques exist, but when you're taught a technique you are also instantly taught it's weaknesses,you would not use an overhead swinging technique when faced with somebody who is trying to get into close range

^It's easy to imagine a spear master doing so though, because the overhead technique is almost always the finisher in a typical video game combo XD

But yeah - with the spear here you would strafe around your enemy and keep him behind the point of your spear while making very small stabs from time to time. Moving backwards and strafing again if he tries to close.

AshranQ said:
Guys, go read the Ishun vs Musashi fight. Everything about spear vs sword / dual sword.

In this situation - If I had the spear I would literally kick the sword user - see there's a perfect opening, I'd swivel on my front foot and plant a heavy kick on his ass - sending him to the ground.

I would then stab him in the upper spine, while he was on the ground.
apatch3Jun 4, 2013 1:00 PM
Jun 4, 2013 12:55 PM

Feb 2011
apatch3 said:
In this situation - If I had the spear I would literally kick the sword user - see there's a perfect opening, I'd swivel on my front foot and plant a heavy kick on his ass - sending him to the ground.

I would then stab him in the upper spine, while he was on the ground.

Good luck with that.
Jun 4, 2013 1:01 PM

Jan 2013
One would have to be highly ambidextrous to dual wield swords. Not also that, but very fucking strong because putting strength into both swords is not an easy task. It leaves openings when you slice too, nobody can dodge a spear forever though.

However, it would be a whole different story if it was knives.
Dipp-Fish said:
Dual swords were originally used by Ninja. One blade would be their combat blade and the other would be sacrificial. The one to be left behind was often used as a tool for climbing ect....
One sword and a knife for climbing you mean...
apatch3 said:
you would not use an overhead swinging technique when faced with somebody who is trying to get into close range

^It's easy to imagine a spear master doing so though, because the overhead technique is almost always the finisher in a typical video game combo XD

But yeah - with the spear here you would strafe around your enemy and keep him behind the point of your spear while making very small stabs from time to time. Moving backwards and strafing again if he tries to close.
I agree here.

Good luck with that.

RandomChampion said:

spears are good for formations, but remember - when the phalanx or legion formation broke, they threw their spears away and pulled out their gladius', or were wiped oout
They pulled out their gladius's because shields. You can't wield a spear with a shield very efficiently compared to a sword.
Mkayyy said:
One bad thrust from the person wielding the spear could grant the duel wielder the victory, so i'd say the duel wielder would win. It all depends on skill level though.
No, because the spear wielder can just back up and thrust again while the dual sword wielder would have to move forward, risking being open along with it.
PeenusWeenusCaimJun 4, 2013 1:14 PM
Jun 4, 2013 1:56 PM

Jan 2011
The dual wielding swordsman calls upon the powers of friendship and love and wins by default.
Jun 4, 2013 8:41 PM

Oct 2009
JonyJC said:
The dual wielding swordsman calls upon the powers of friendship and love and wins by default.

The spear user would call upon the mighty power of the drill and wins by piercing the heavens with spirits of youth.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Jun 4, 2013 10:27 PM

May 2013
Depends on the skill of the fighter, but I would think that the spear would have the advantage.
Jun 4, 2013 10:34 PM

Oct 2010
spears was a poor mans weapon

easy to use
easy to make

effective in lines n such

swords were mainly used aganst un armor people
and as a backup weapon

2h sword was a hard counter to a spear
its soul purpose was to counter the spear

a bastard sword is a mid ground wich is light enough to use with 1 hand and long enough to use 2

axes were the main weapon to counter plate armor and mail

---

if it was a 1vs1 fight

and the spear person did not have a shield

hands down the numb nuts useing 2 swords like a dickshit

most the time for spears to be good, you have to be behind the line
or have a shield

once the gap is closed a spear loses its edge fast

if the person had 2 bastards swords and just throw one down
he would have an insane edge over the spear

now if the person with the spear was not a low class person that poked people from behind the shield people
and knew how to fight in the open in 1vs1 he would have a chance

if the spear person used a shield he would probly lose hardcore

then it actualy goes into what type of swords the person was dual wielding

if he used the correct form of swords an offensive sword and a parry sword
and is trained he would have a huge edge

if both were in plate mail + chainmail + leather
the man who had a dagger or axe would win
but in that fight the sword sill has the edge

---

now for the spear

if the spear was in the correct armor and used a spear made for 1v1 and knew what he was doing

it would be fair game aganst a dual wielding sword

but

if the sword user was also trained in 1v1 and used only 1 sword and had the correct gear he would have the edge

but

if the spear user was useing a spear made for mass battles and lines and was in a 1v1 fight with a dual wielding sword user the sword user would win
(spear users normaly didnt have any armor in mass battles and gives the sword user a huge advantage)

it basicly boils down to
does the person have the gear for 1v1
(money is a huge factor in this)
does the person have the training for 1v1

--

it also was not as un common for people to dual wield as people may think
its fairly effective in small battles

the fighting styles for mass and small are completely differnt so are the gear

swords are amazing weapons in 1v1 wich is why alot of duels people used swords
Lord_JoshuaJun 4, 2013 11:02 PM
dont ask questions, just do answers
Jun 4, 2013 10:52 PM

Jan 2013
Lord_Joshua said:

Prove this.

How the hell can you parry a spear thrust? One can just pull his spear back after a thrust and thrust again.
Jun 4, 2013 10:56 PM
Mar 2011
yet again it depands on the skill of the user
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 4, 2013 11:03 PM

Aug 2009
Hate spears, but I'll have to go with spears. The idea of using a two-handed weapon with two hands sounds better than using two one-handed in each hand. The spear user would have more wrist control and in turn react faster than the person that's dual wielding two swords.

But then again, if the swords are fairly light... Oh goddammit. I'm over thinking this.

Jun 4, 2013 11:04 PM

Oct 2010
TonyTin said:
Lord_Joshua said:

Prove this.

How the hell can you parry a spear thrust? One can just pull his spear back after a thrust and thrust again.

the germans made a 2h called something with a Z
it was made to cut a spear in 1/2 and keep out of the spears danger range
its a zoneing thing

you can parry a spear
a trust you use your parry sword to ride aganst the spear so you can close the gap
its also fairly predictable to know where the trust is going to be and how to dodge it
and once the gap is closed the spear loses almost all of its power
and the parry sword since its shorter than a normal sword gains a advantage in close range combat

you are also better useing some swings with a spear than just nothing but thrusts

of the melee weapons
a spear is a mid range its goal is to stay out of close melee
a sword
it matters on the sword
it can be a mid range or it can be a close range
most are close range wich is where they will want to be

a spear is also made to stay mid range wich is hard to do in 1v1
if you have a thrusting spear you will be at a disavantage
a spear that is made so you can also use slashing blows can deal with melee users easyer

the ranges in melee is baiscly
dagger = you kill anyone if you get close enough (the problem is getting close enough)
axe/hammer/sword = not as close as a dagger but still close enough
spear = has a decent range between you and works well in tightly packed fights
lance= more range than a spear but less moability and less accuracy it requires you to be behind people
Lord_JoshuaJun 4, 2013 11:16 PM
Jun 4, 2013 11:13 PM
Jul 2018
The length of a spear can keep the sword user at bay, and the use of two swords means that the swordman doesn't have enough room to do a lethal cut.

For example, it's far easier to get between a spear's reach with an axe than a sword. Say you dodge someone trying to stab you with a spear while using an axe. You're past the tip and in his personal space now. Since you aren't using a sword that requires more space to swing it, you can freely run right up to his face and swing your axe which doesn't require nearly as much room.

Now imagine that with two swords, and add the fact that they don't have enough power as one sword because less muscles control each sword. (Tired at the moment, but I think you know what I mean.)
I think the only way to get the spearman would be to trip him and then stab him.
removed-userJun 4, 2013 11:16 PM
Jun 4, 2013 11:20 PM

Oct 2010
a sword user can also always go to attack the spear route
which was a legit strategy

steel vs wood

steel wins
Jun 4, 2013 11:21 PM

Nov 2011
Lord_Joshua said:
spears was a poor mans weapon

easy to use
easy to make

effective in lines n such

swords were mainly used aganst un armor people
and as a backup weapon

a bastard sword is a mid ground wich is light enough to use with 1 hand and long enough to use 2

axes were the main weapon to counter plate armor and mail

---

if it was a 1vs1 fight

and the spear person did not have a shield

hands down the numb nuts useing 2 swords like a dickshit

most the time for spears to be good, you have to be behind the line
or have a shield

once the gap is closed a spear loses its edge fast

if the person had 2 bastards swords and just throw one down
he would have an insane edge over the spear

now if the person with the spear was not a low class person that poked people from behind the shield people
and knew how to fight in the open in 1vs1 he would have a chance

if the spear person used a shield he would probly lose hardcore

then it actualy goes into what type of swords the person was dual wielding

if both were in plate mail + chainmail + leather
the man who had a dagger or axe would win
but in that fight the sword sill has the edge

---

now for the spear

if the spear was in the correct armor and used a spear made for 1v1 and knew what he was doing

it would be fair game aganst a dual wielding sword

but

if the sword user was also trained in 1v1 and used only 1 sword and had the correct gear he would have the edge

but

if the spear user was useing a spear made for mass battles and lines and was in a 1v1 fight with a dual wielding sword user the sword user would win
(spear users normaly didnt have any armor in mass battles and gives the sword user a huge advantage)

it basicly boils down to
does the person have the gear for 1v1
(money is a huge factor in this)
does the person have the training for 1v1

--

it also was not as un common for people to dual wield as people may think
its fairly effective in small battles

the fighting styles for mass and small are completely differnt so are the gear

swords are amazing weapons in 1v1 wich is why alot of duels people used swords

Swords were not just used against unarmored foes. They were used against a wide variety of foes. Cavalry especially used swords to deadly effect.

2 handed swords, youre talking about the Zweihander I assume was used to killed shit. Its ability to counter pikemen was known but it was a result of it being used to kill shit not its sole purpose.

Axes were not the main weapon to counter plate armor. The best weapons against armor for the infantrymen were halberds and poleaxes.

Wrong. we have evidence of spears being used against swords in dueling effectively.

Wrong. Spears have been used out of formation multiple times.

No he wont have insane edge over the spear and throwing swords are for idiots.

Wrong and wrong again. Many modern weapon martial artist have spoken on the difficulty of fighting a decent spearman. Evidenced from their numerous sparring.

Why the hell would he have chain and leather if he was wearing plate? That made no sense. And if they were wearing plate the swordsman can win using half swording techniques. It is difficult to kill a man with plate, not impossible.

Since when did spearmen did not have armor? O_o If he could have afforded it, he would definitely be decked, If he was a professional soldier he would definitely have a somewhat decent kit. Maille or munitions grade armor or whatever depending on the period.
The Art of Eight
Jun 4, 2013 11:33 PM

Oct 2010
i fount that video funny
Jun 5, 2013 2:01 AM

Jan 2013
Lord_Joshua said:
you can parry a spear
a trust you use your parry sword to ride aganst the spear so you can close the gap
its also fairly predictable to know where the trust is going to be and how to dodge it
and once the gap is closed the spear loses almost all of its power
and the parry sword since its shorter than a normal sword gains a advantage in close range combat
Wrong. A spear user can thrust anywhere quickly and efficiently. He can hit the toe, the hands, the head, anywhere. And it's far more easy to predict a sword swing because when you swing a sword you have to
1. Reverse your arms and shoulders.
2. Position arms, hands, and sword as to where to swing (WHICH IS DAMN EASY TO PREDICT)
3. Forward the motion of your shoulders and arms. Your hips too if you put lots of strength.
Now you're left open and you either have to
1. Recover your stance or
2. Get fucked

A spear requires 2 steps.
1. Ready stance, spear in position.
2. Thrust
3. Pull spear and ready again.
you are also better useing some swings with a spear than just nothing but thrusts
Swinging a spear is pointless against swords, it'll only make leave you majorly open since it requires a lot of strength to swing. So it'll take a longer time. And landing a hit with the tip of the sharpened spear is difficult and nearly impossible if the opponent steps in a different direction. Sticking to thrusts is the way to go.
Jun 5, 2013 2:36 AM

Nov 2011
Lord_Joshua said:

the ranges in melee is baiscly
dagger = you .kill anyone if you get close enough (the problem is getting close enough)
axe/hammer/sword = not as close as a dagger but still close enough
spear = has a decent range between you and works well in tightly packed fights
lance= more range than a spear but less moability and less accuracy it requires you to be behind people

Dagger=a tool as much as a weapon. Really only effective when grappling
axe/hammer/sword= mid range stuff.
spear= long range nelee weapon. Oldest weapon ever yet is still active thousands upon thousands of years after its creation
lance= No, the lance is the weapon of the cavalryman used to deliver tremendous shock in the charge. It isnt used in infantry formations at all. :/
The Art of Eight
Jun 5, 2013 2:46 AM
Oct 2011
What about dual spear-wielding vs one sword?
Jun 5, 2013 2:46 AM

Apr 2011
Common sense would tell me a spear. :D
Jun 5, 2013 4:06 AM

Apr 2008
I had a feeling somebody would mention this whole steel vs wood thing - which is what might have happened if this had been a cartoon fight.

Trust me spears aren't weak enough to be sliced through by a single swing of a 1 handed sword.
Jun 5, 2013 4:10 AM

May 2013
Unlike anime and videogames parrying/blocking a spear is nearly impossible in real life, without armour and/or a shield.
Jun 5, 2013 8:53 AM

Jan 2013
Depends on whos using it really. Historical accounts with the older weapons like these it all depends on who was using it.
Jun 5, 2013 8:56 AM

Sep 2011
Spear (duh).
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Jun 5, 2013 8:58 AM

Mar 2011
Surely it would somewhat depend on both the spear and the swords used? It's not as if there's only one type of spear or one type of sword.
Jun 5, 2013 9:03 AM

Nov 2011
RedArmyShogun said:
Depends on whos using it really. Historical accounts with the older weapons like these it all depends on who was using it.

We have to assume both are equally skilled in this hypothetical battle if we want to uncover which weapon has the advantage or else it will a more skilled fighter defeats a less skilled fighter kinda fight instead of a weapon comparison.

InfiniteRufus said:
Surely it would somewhat depend on both the spear and the swords used? It's not as if there's only one type of spear or one type of sword.

That is actually a good point that we have ignored in favour of arguing. So OP, which weapons in particular do you mean and are they armored?

PS Gotta love OPs that dont take part in their own threads.
The Art of Eight
Jun 5, 2013 9:06 AM

Mar 2011
Question; how long is the perfect length of a spear if you want to counter a sword? Too short and you lose the range advantage, too long and your thrusts will be slower and you'll be fucked if the opponent comes inside your range.
Jun 5, 2013 9:08 AM

Nov 2011
InfiniteRufus said:
Question; how long is the perfect length of a spear if you want to counter a sword? Too short and you lose the range advantage, too long and your thrusts will be slower and you'll be fucked if the opponent comes inside your range.

In a mano a mano fight, around 9 feet is ideal according to a few 15th and 16th century martial artists.
The Art of Eight
Jun 5, 2013 9:10 AM

Oct 2009
InfiniteRufus said:

I mentioned this before.

Even if we assume that 2 swords are not efficient in general when used in conventoinal way, one of those swords can easily be a machete, which makes a very capable throwing weapon. If the other sword is a real dueling weapon like some kind of curved sword + sheath (sheath can be used to deflect/block) or something, then the spear guy doesnt really have much of a chance.

If anything, the sword can be thworn not for the actual kill, but just even to create an opening to get behind or on the side of the spearhead and go for the kill.
Jun 5, 2013 9:14 AM

Oct 2009
dankickyou said:
InfiniteRufus said:

In a mano a mano fight, around 9 feet is ideal according to a few 15th and 16th century martial artists.

i'd guess that the best spear techniques are the ones used in chinese martial arts
Jun 5, 2013 9:16 AM

Nov 2011
RandomChampion said:
dankickyou said:
InfiniteRufus said:

i'd guess that the best spear techniques are the ones used in chinese martial arts

No such thing as best techniques. They all evolved to optimally face their respective threats. :/
The Art of Eight
Jun 5, 2013 9:16 AM

Aug 2012
It is not the weapon, but the one who wields it.
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Jun 5, 2013 9:20 AM

Oct 2009
dankickyou said:
RandomChampion said:
dankickyou said:
InfiniteRufus said:

No such thing as best techniques. They all evolved to optimally face their respective threats. :/

well, some martial arts are still more effective than others lol. tae kwon is pretty much eclipsed by wushu.

but what i meant was that chinese use of the weapon are probably far more developed than the european spear dueling techniques (this is just a guess, again)
Jun 5, 2013 9:27 AM

Nov 2011
RandomChampion said:
dankickyou said:
RandomChampion said:
dankickyou said:
InfiniteRufus said:

well, some martial arts are still more effective than others lol. tae kwon is pretty much eclipsed by wushu.

but what i meant was that chinese use of the weapon are probably far more developed than the european spear dueling techniques (this is just a guess, again)

Not true. Europe like China had many advanced techniques, treatises, manuals on spear use and many different kinds of spears and has produced many different kinds of warriors that used the spear (or variation thereof) to great effect. There is no reason to believe that China's spear use is inherently superior compared to Europe, which happens to be one of the most war torn places in history.
The Art of Eight
Jun 5, 2013 9:36 AM

Oct 2009
dankickyou said:
RandomChampion said:
dankickyou said:
RandomChampion said:
dankickyou said:
InfiniteRufus said:

Not true. Europe like China had many advanced techniques, treatises, manuals on spear use and many different kinds of spears and has produced many different kinds of warriors that used the spear (or variation thereof) to great effect. There is no reason to believe that China's spear use is inherently superior compared to Europe, which happens to be one of the most war torn places in history.

yea i'm sure there are various solid spear european spear techniques. however, like you mentioned - Europe was war-torn, indicating military ation. For 1 vs 1, i'd put my money on the spear user using a chinese technique. one of them should be superiour than the other for dueling, as it's highly unlikely that they are exactly equal.
Jun 5, 2013 10:12 AM

Nov 2008
Most likely the spear would win, because spears have longer reach. But if the swordsman can get close enough(it's pretty unlikely), then the spearman would be the one at a disadvantage.
HigurashiJun 5, 2013 10:16 AM
Jun 5, 2013 1:57 PM

Oct 2009
Depends on distance and how talented the spear wielder is with his spear. I'm pretty good with my spear, if ya know what I mean.

Jun 5, 2013 4:22 PM

Jan 2013
dankickyou said:
RedArmyShogun said:

We have to assume both are equally skilled in this hypothetical battle if we want to uncover which weapon has the advantage or else it will a more skilled fighter defeats a less skilled fighter kinda fight instead of a weapon comparison.

InfiniteRufus said:

That is actually a good point that we have ignored in favour of arguing. So OP, which weapons in particular do you mean and are they armored?

PS Gotta love OPs that dont take part in their own threads.

Hmm in that case its not so clearcut. There are tactics for both weapons designed to counter both. I would say it depends on who moves first. As in they likely will lose. Or it turns into a drawn out affair where who screws up first goes down. The Spearman has the reach, but spears were orginally made to counter calvary than to fight infantry.

Though it also depends on the weapons used. Technically pole blades fall under the term spear. And I would not want to use a galdius against someone armed with a Naginata. But I'll go with a literal meaning of the typical wood spear vs a typical broadsword.
Jun 5, 2013 4:44 PM

Dec 2012
Let's send this thread to Deadliest Warrior and see how they interpret it.
Jun 5, 2013 4:47 PM

May 2013
They'll screw it up like they did in the Napoleon versus Washington episode, I mean seriously how could Washington win against Napoleon in that episode?
Jun 5, 2013 5:17 PM

Jan 2013
DatDanimexican said:
They'll screw it up like they did in the Napoleon versus Washington episode, I mean seriously how could Washington win against Napoleon in that episode?
Take Paris. France surrenders. Game over. (History Joke)
Jun 5, 2013 5:21 PM

Jan 2013
Just throwing this out there, dual wielding anything is stupid.

A guy with one sword would be more effective in a duel than a guy with two swords.
Jun 5, 2013 5:23 PM

May 2013
TonyTin said:
DatDanimexican said:
Take Paris. France surrenders. Game over. (History Joke)

He he thankfully you are only joking.

And in case someone doesn't know France has a pretty badass history.

Here's a list of French military victories and defeats.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/battles/french_military_victories.asp

Solvite said:
Just throwing this out there, dual wielding anything is stupid.

A guy with one sword would be more effective in a duel than a guy with two swords.

Exactly.
Jun 5, 2013 5:39 PM

Aug 2012
Disgaea logic.
Swords.
Jun 5, 2013 7:35 PM

Oct 2012
Spears>swords
Swords>axes
Axes>spears
Jun 5, 2013 7:39 PM

Jul 2010
I'd go spear. I mean, dat range.

And wouldn't dual-wielding swords be incredibly unwieldy? I think you may be slowed down by the swords, greatly affecting your chance of victory. But if you happened to get in close - you'd probably win. But the question is, how would manage to get close with the spear in your way?
Jun 5, 2013 9:57 PM

Nov 2011
Danielcook said:
Spears>swords
Swords>axes
Axes>spears

No. Thats way too general and why does an axe have an advantage over spears?
The Art of Eight
Jun 5, 2013 9:58 PM

Dec 2012
only if u go kiritoapeshitkilla with 2 swords
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Celeb crush ( 1 2 )

literally_boba - Jul 6, 2021

54 by Rhae »»
35 minutes ago

» which users do you really hate the most

iwasaloneforever - 1 hour ago

1 by KayKimii »»
1 hour ago

» Why aren't Americans rioting over the fact that McDonalds is now a Luxury Item?

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

24 by GrimAtrament »»
1 hour ago

» Why don't you have a cat/dog?

tsukareru - 3 hours ago

5 by LoveYourSmile »»
1 hour ago

» Are you good with relationships?

Text101 - Jun 25, 2023

18 by RyuRabbit »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.