Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 9, 2014 1:26 PM

May 2012
Narmy said:
I'm the one who said that, I dunno how you managed to screw that quote up. I suppose I should have said 'natural selection' instead; I wasn't talking about survival in the literal sense, but the process by which species evolve.

Sorry I got confused with the quoting because both of you were saying similar things.

But you cannot strip survival from human evolution. Natural selection is based off of death. Human evolution is based off of natural selection and is therefore, based off of death as well. This is simple logic.

Natural selection and human evolution can therefore not occur without the principle of death. Just because it seems like many weak people are thriving today, doesn't mean they will not all die off soon in the vastness that is time and space.
Apr 9, 2014 9:19 PM

Dec 2012
a theory is what the evidence points toward

you have a hypothesis, not a theory
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Apr 9, 2014 10:24 PM

Mar 2014
Evolution occurs when something needs to adapt to it's environment to make survival easier, so to speak...

And that's where evolution stops. There is nothing further and we do not evolve beyond our means. But good hypothesis!
Apr 9, 2014 10:46 PM
Nov 2010
But Goku already did it.
Apr 10, 2014 2:21 AM
Jan 2014
Nonyflah said:
cabacc2 said:
even if we assume that survival of the fittest doesnt apply to humans anymore, this still doesnt mean that we dont evolve anymore.

Survival of the fittest still applies. It's just that the environment that we're attempting to fit into is different from the one our ancestors lived in thousands of years ago.

I know. I never claimed otherwise.
Apr 10, 2014 4:05 AM

Nov 2013
I agree but close minded people such as those in this thread won't get it.
SCARY MONSTER
Apr 10, 2014 9:13 AM

Sep 2012
cabacc2 said:
Nonyflah said:
cabacc2 said:
even if we assume that survival of the fittest doesnt apply to humans anymore, this still doesnt mean that we dont evolve anymore.

Survival of the fittest still applies. It's just that the environment that we're attempting to fit into is different from the one our ancestors lived in thousands of years ago.

I know. I never claimed otherwise.

My apologies, there. I guess I misread your intentions.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Apr 11, 2014 4:48 PM
Jan 2008
JReitan said:
Narmy said:
I'm the one who said that, I dunno how you managed to screw that quote up. I suppose I should have said 'natural selection' instead; I wasn't talking about survival in the literal sense, but the process by which species evolve.

Sorry I got confused with the quoting because both of you were saying similar things.

But you cannot strip survival from human evolution. Natural selection is based off of death. Human evolution is based off of natural selection and is therefore, based off of death as well. This is simple logic.

Natural selection and human evolution can therefore not occur without the principle of death. Just because it seems like many weak people are thriving today, doesn't mean they will not all die off soon in the vastness that is time and space.

Natural selection: Those who cannot adopt to the environment die off, leaving only those who can to pass on their genes

Medicine (e.g. vaccines): Allows those who cannot adopt to the environment to do so, allowing them to pass on their genes as well as those who are able to adapt to the environment in the first place. Therefore, for humans, natural selection does not apply as exactly to them as to other animals.

"Weak people" dying off soon doesn't matter if they die off at the same time "strong people" die off, because nothing is being "naturally selected" in this case.

What you are talking about has nothing to do with natural selection, but just death in general. What do you think natural selection means?
Apr 11, 2014 4:53 PM

Jun 2008
Soren333 said:
Life is about survival
Survival is part of evolution
Evolution is the process of the survival of the fittest and to pass on the "strong" genes
Which eventually leads to evolved forms of primitive life
Ultimately, evolution is the process of evolving species into the ultimate being
Which is god
We are in the process of becoming god

Just a funny, little theory and is probably untrue.

Indeed it is untrue because evolution doesn't try to improve an organism. It just changes an organism based on conditions and environment.
Apr 11, 2014 5:25 PM

Jul 2013
Monad said:
Soren333 said:
Life is about survival
Survival is part of evolution
Evolution is the process of the survival of the fittest and to pass on the "strong" genes
Which eventually leads to evolved forms of primitive life
Ultimately, evolution is the process of evolving species into the ultimate being
Which is god
We are in the process of becoming god

Just a funny, little theory and is probably untrue.

Indeed it is untrue because evolution doesn't try to improve an organism. It just changes an organism based on conditions and environment.

Indeed sir.
Apr 12, 2014 1:40 PM

May 2012
Corsair198 said:
Natural selection: Those who cannot adopt to the environment die off, leaving only those who can to pass on their genes

Medicine (e.g. vaccines): Allows those who cannot adopt to the environment to do so, allowing them to pass on their genes as well as those who are able to adapt to the environment in the first place. Therefore, for humans, natural selection does not apply as exactly to them as to other animals.

Natural selection applies equally to both humans and animals. Humans are still animals, so the same principles of evolution and natural selection applies to humans. Medicine does not change this. For example, medicine in many cases requires money to obtain. Therefore, those who are able to obtain money and then medicine are the ones who will most likely survive. The principles of natural selection and death have in no way changed.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» My concerns about the future of Japan.

9765 - Yesterday

13 by LenRea »»
36 minutes ago

» Do you like to judge people?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

14 by LenRea »»
39 minutes ago

» Is y2k vintage now?

coolyfruity - Yesterday

4 by LenRea »»
41 minutes ago

» The very random (and possibly useless) knowledge thread

DigiCat - May 22

42 by Rndmguypassingby »»
42 minutes ago

» Should we drop medicine on the North Sentinel Islands?

vasipi4946 - 1 hour ago

1 by LenRea »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.