Forum Settings
Forums

Characters that you never understood the hype around them

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Sep 15, 2021 4:46 PM
Aug 2021
Makise Kurisu (Steins;Gate) - <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Suzuha
Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist) - I really don't think he's a good MC, he looks cool, but he's annoying af
Eren Jaeger (Attack On Titan)
Oshino Shinobu and Koyomi Araragi (Monogatari Series) - Like them, but common: <<<<<<<<<<<<<< Kaiki and Ononoki
Emilia (Re:Zero)
Asuka (Evangelion) - I hate her, Misato best girl
Nami (One Piece)
Sep 15, 2021 5:03 PM

Aug 2014
Oh boy! There are a good bunch of them, i will take a look at the top favorite characters to remember. Hmm I will go for 10 picks.

1) Levi (Attack on Titan)
Generic badass Overpowered guy, i understand that he looks cool af with his spinning swords and stylish combat, but making overpowered characters shouldnt auto put you top 10 characters of all time.
2) Edward Elric (FMA)
Another Generic shounen hero, i mean ok his character arc and growth is good, but he never strikes me as someone who is very impressive, he is the typical shounen hero character, who starts a bit weak but with determination and growth and practices reaches his goals and becomes strong, also the jokes about his height are cringe and a bad spot on the anime itself.
3) To keep things short, most of the big popular shounen heroes..e.g (Naruto, Ichigo, Goku)
All the generic shounen heroes. for same reason above.
4) Mikasa (Attack on Titan)
I see no good reason for her to be this high, she is an obsessed girl with Eren, does good spinning moves and is strong because childhood reasons and blood related genes and talent but i dont find anything interesting about her, she looks cool i guess, lol.
5) Ken Kaneki (Tokyo Ghoul)
This guy, lmao. One of the most annoying characters i have ever watched, the usual edgelord screaming pussy hidden op character that has almost zero redeeming features to make me care about him, put him on miserable situation so he can suffer and by the power of plot armor and hidden op special one tricks he comes back to slay, by becoming the edge/cringe lord. No thanks.
6) Rem (Re:Zero)
Oh my god it feels like 90% of MAL list is actually overrated af lol.
Rem is a waifu bait in the Isekai Re:Zero, awful show, her looks are awful, her character is boring, she cares about this loser just 1 day after they met, her voice cringe, she is also special one hidden op for some reason, i mean as usual duh. Yeah nothing about this character is interesting, waifu baits only, the usual trick works on the Anime Fandom sadly.
7) Kazuto/Kirito (Sword Art Online)
Gary Stu FTW, this guy is the best online gamer it seems, he gets everything, very skilled and gets all the waifus, no trouble will ever stop him, he can overcome anything by his determination and hidden magical talents, the most impressive talent he has is being able to get all the waifus despite being very skilled at games, and a loser irl. Weird. Escapism fantasy generic character, i mean im joking a bit yeah? but still this character has nothing going for him to deserve such huge popularity.
8)Hitagi Senjougahra (Bakemonogateri)
I made spelling mistakes here, fuck that long ass name who cares.
Ok so this girl is kinda hot actually, i mean she looks cool, but what else is there? i never found anything else, her personality is boring, her development felt very shallow and she has nothing unique going for her, she looks good, thats it. xD
9) To keep things for being repetitive I'll add 2 that dont belong directly after those.
9) Dio (JOJO)
I find this villain to be so obnoxious, so annoying and so tryhard it actually stains the series, all other JOJO villains were more interesting and better, this guy is bad because he likes being bad, his jokes became boring quickly and i hated everything about him and his fans are as bad as him, perhaps he succeeded at making me hate him but that is not what i consider a good villain.
10) I can say a lot of other characters here, like Sora from NGNL, or Saber, or Asuna or pretty much any of the generic characters who got popular because the series was popular or for their looks.
But i will go for something controversial and say Johan Liebert (Monster)
I think the aura of mystery around this villain is interesting and the way he was made and his background certainly do justify how his characterization is built, but man fuck that he is damn overrated af, this guy is often mentioned to be the best villain in all anime and i honestly do see how it is, after all he is good character but i dont consider him that well made as a villain. He barely talks or does anything other than act pretentious and weird, his voice is laughable, most of his actions leave a lot of questions and he looks very bland, his way of doing his psychic power or something is stupid. I dont know how he is highly regarded, just because of his mysterious aura and he makes people do bad stuff but they dont explain or show much about it, this villain i mean is ok but not that good.

Ofcourse he is not top 10 overrated or bad characters, i just included him for more spicy post, i dont want to simply talk about the usual popular ones, has to add something spicy and new here.
Sep 15, 2021 5:39 PM
Sep 2021
Gojo satoru, till this day i still don't understand why people hyped him up so much.
Sep 15, 2021 5:53 PM

Feb 2019
Literally more than half of AoT's cast are lazily-written, shallow, 1-dimensional characters that remained the same character throughout the entire series, Mikasa being the worst of them. And Eren's character arc is probably the messiest and most retardedly-written character arcs I've ever seen.
. It's beyond me how people genuinely think these characters are "complex".

Also amusing how often L and Light gets regarded as "smart, high-intellectuals, geniuses" without people realizing that the adults on the show are just lazily-written to be so unbelievably stupid that it makes them infinite times smarter in comparison. Their "mindgames" are reasoned with typical bullshit battle shonen logic without the actual battle. Not to mention Light is too unnecessarily a highschool edgelord, while L is just bland.
Shaw_ said:

3. Mikey
Like seriously people love this guy? This guy is cringe as hell, his fight just awfull. Mikey is just Levi rip off version Made in china.

As someone who finished/caught up to both manga, I can tell you that Mikey has 10× more depth and personality than Levi ever had. Still the same fujoshi-bait, generic op character, but the depth's there. Nothing too special though.
TheRailTracerMALSep 15, 2021 5:57 PM
Sep 15, 2021 6:27 PM

Dec 2015
Most characters honestly. And knowing how repetitive both shows and fan's overreaction are, there are some type of characters that I already say I don't see the appeal, like "empty badass" (Gojo, Levi), Waifus (specially the ones that have 100% unrealistic personalities), "Weird but special" (like the Hashira on KNY) and chilsidh.
Sep 17, 2021 2:01 PM

Jan 2021
Asskelad from Vinland Saga. He has no redeeming qualities and I hated everything about him.
Sep 17, 2021 2:06 PM

Sep 2020
Gojo
I know it's cliché to say that he's just a poor mans Kakashi... but he really is just a poor mans Kakashi.
Sep 19, 2021 7:01 PM

Apr 2018
Yuno Gasai.

Never understood the appeal behind her (or any yandere broadly speaking).
Sep 19, 2021 7:55 PM

Jul 2019
Katsuki Bakugo from My Hero Academia, for me he is just a brat who thinks the world revolves around him.
English is not my main language
Sep 19, 2021 8:22 PM
May 2021
Characters from AOT, Jujutsu and Demon Slayer. Lets see, Rem of Re:Zero. Mai of Bunny Girl, for me she wasn't that special there's tons of female MC that deserves more attention.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» Could you survive in the world of your favorite anime?

Spunkert - Jun 15

42 by Coaghim »»
6 minutes ago

» Are there any CONFIDENT flat/small chested anime girls?

Throwawayy1234 - 4 hours ago

23 by FanofAction »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list, why? ( 1 2 )

melodyily - Jun 15

88 by Thereisnoonehere »»
13 minutes ago

» Which is the correct anime consumption posture?

SgtBateMan - Jun 14

38 by DesuMaiden »»
21 minutes ago

» Summer 2024 Season

OldLoser - 5 hours ago

20 by DesuMaiden »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.