Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Sep 3 - 9

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 16, 2012 1:07 AM

Oct 2007
Yeah, I know. I'm just unable to comprehend how is it possible for so many people to like it this much that they are even willing to buy BDs. This show has nothing exceptional. Okay, there is Sawa, but as soon as anime finally concentrated on her (after many episodes of idiot Konatsu and bitchy... Minchi-clone, oh, Wakana was her name), they threw her in some cheap streak of escalating drama. And, it just so happened that they went this path the exact moment Wakana stopped being irritating. Goddamnit, stupid PA Works. They always have to fuck up badly and it's especially annoying when one clearly sees they should have the ability to do much better (absolutely perfect beginning of Hanasaku Iroha, kinda great ending, wonderful Ohana; Sawa's character before ep6, Wakana's character after ep6...)
Buying it for art is kinda redundant as it's basically Hanasaku Iroha clone. Another was at least amusingly bad at parts but TT is just boring/irritating.
Sep 16, 2012 3:35 AM
Sep 2012
Progeusz said:

AKB 4k... I thought it would sell a little bit better. Still pretty nice. Anyone knows what Japanese fans thought about it >in general<?

nobody buys it but fans of AKB(the idol group). fans are strapped for cash because the real group just released an album and a single a couple of weeks ago. as for the rest they just watch it on tv.
Sep 16, 2012 8:06 AM

Feb 2012
Progeusz said:
Yeah, I know. I'm just unable to comprehend how is it possible for so many people to like it this much that they are even willing to buy BDs. This show has nothing exceptional. Okay, there is Sawa, but as soon as anime finally concentrated on her (after many episodes of idiot Konatsu and bitchy... Minchi-clone, oh, Wakana was her name), they threw her in some cheap streak of escalating drama. And, it just so happened that they went this path the exact moment Wakana stopped being irritating. Goddamnit, stupid PA Works. They always have to fuck up badly and it's especially annoying when one clearly sees they should have the ability to do much better (absolutely perfect beginning of Hanasaku Iroha, kinda great ending, wonderful Ohana; Sawa's character before ep6, Wakana's character after ep6...)
Buying it for art is kinda redundant as it's basically Hanasaku Iroha clone. Another was at least amusingly bad at parts but TT is just boring/irritating.
Translation: Why do people like what I hate?! I don't understand it omfg! Stop buying what I don't like Japan!
Sep 16, 2012 8:09 AM

Jan 2011
Some people considered Tari Tari the best of this season, I don't see a problem with it selling well.
Sep 21, 2012 8:27 PM

Sep 2012
Bumping a week-old thread....

Progeusz said:

Precisely as jmal said, what you think of boring, many find engaging; what you think as irritating, many find understandable and sympathetic; what you find stupid, many find it thoughtful. If you cannot empathize with the characters then most likely you won't enjoy the anime (the same can be said of any anime - especially often there is a culture barrier in terms of interpreting behavior shown in anime)
Just a few things that I gathered from reading Japanese fan comments:
- The big boost to popularity of Tari Tari happened after ep.5-6 which you just put down as "Minchi-cone" although I have never seen any comparison of Wakana to Minchi in any Japanese site or forum. That arc of Wakana is broadly praised among fans in Japan of smartly directed, carefully and sensitively written and realistically acted. By comparison, Sawa's arc looks a lot more forced and the feedback from fans is not as enthusiastic.
- Why people would buy the BDs? Many factors can contribute: Characters, the artstyle, the animation, the music, the screenplay, the directing, the setting... Tari Tari is especially strong, according to comments I read, on character design, the art and the animation. It also pulls in fans from both genders because it has characters that girls can identify with and guys who are the usual distorted types featured so often in light novels and moe anime. Many fans also give high praise for the active inclusion of many adults who may not be always positive as well as affirmative portrayal of the bonding within a family, a community and close knit group of friends.
- As for Hanasaku Iroha, actually quite a number of the fans in Japan think Tari Tari has more realistic characters than Iroha. And EVEN if it is a clone in terms of art, some may find a story with high school and a music setting more appealing than one with a ryokan at a remote place, so I don't see why it is necessarily redundant.

jmal said:
bippo said:
nobody buys it but fans of AKB(the idol group). fans are strapped for cash because the real group just released an album and a single a couple of weeks ago. as for the rest they just watch it on tv.

I don't think a hardcore AKB fan would be rendered broke by just "an album and a single"... being an AKB fan requires more dedication than that. It's more likely that the show just didn't click with AKB fans and didn't find a whole lot of new fans either.

I am a AKB fan so I would like to comment (which is the main reason why I bumped up the thread). The cash-strapped comment is indeed a reason often mentioned by AKB fans in Japan, but it is for the No Name CD (that has AKB0048 OP and ED), not the anime. Late July and the whole August was full of releases from various groups of Group48 - sub-units from AKB48, AKB48 itself, NMB48, Nogizaka46 and solo singles. Fans need to prioritize their spending. After the release of the "election single" back in June, which resulted in many fans buying multiple copies of the single in order to vote for their favorite members, shortage of resource was indeed getting real. Then it followed around one month of recuperation time, but the packed schedule from late July onwards strained fans resource, and it resulted in a clear drop of sales in all the singles released during that period. No Name is the most obscure release among the horde of singles released then. It did not even get much push in AKB shows or other media (except for a few sporadic performances). So at the end it did not sell much more than Watanabe Mayu's solo single (Mayu is also a member of No Name, who are all from Group48 and voice act in AKB0048) but compared to other anime songs, its sales is squarely in the top tier (although still far from what Mizuki Nana can sell).

As for the anime, the "nobody buys it but fans of AKB" is not really correct. I have seen blogs in Japan written by non-AKB fans who are quite positive about the anime. In terms of sales, if we forget about the AKB involvement, its sales is actually really respectable. So far it is around the 5th best-selling title for its season. The problem with AKB0048, in terms of catching its fans, is:

1. Anime fans and idol (AKB) fans do not always overlap. Many idol fans are not interested in anime at all. And among the girls who participated in the anime, only Mayu is very well known to a casual fan. Unless the fans are very dedicated to a certain girl, they may not like the idea of only listening to her voice if they do not really like watching anime. Among AKB fans who watch the anime, the feedback has been very positive, but those people are not the usual people who usually buy anime BD -- such things are usually done by dedicated anime fans, and for those people....

2. On the other hand, there are a lot of vocal AKB haters among anime fans in Japan. The trashing of the anime started right from the announcement that a AKB anime would be made. Too many fans just refused to even watch one episode but kept on mocking and dissing the anime whenever the topic was raised. One result is the anime was not brought up as often in dedicated anime forum sites compared to other anime in the same season.

3. Its broadcast region is very odd and unfavorable: It not only started 3 weeks after the start of the season, but even after the delay it did not broadcast to the biggest population centers in the country: No Tokyo, no Osaka, no Nagoya, no Fukuoka. It was only after another month passed that it finally started to broadcast to Tokyo and satellite.

4. Some might expect AKB would organize events to boost sales, just like many other anime did. But very surprisingly, not a single event, be it concert or AKB's (in)famous handshaking events, was organized.

With this heavily stunted exposure (and hostile territory in the anime fandom), I would say that the sales could have been worse. The risk of it sinking into oblivion is quite real too. Fortunately the solid efforts from the screenplay by Okada and directing by Kawamori prevented that.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» 'Yami Shibai' Gets 13th Season in Summer 2024

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

10 by Gardevoir7 »»
2 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Jun 6

18 by CocoaGalaxy »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Hazure Skill "Kinomi Master"' Gets TV Anime

Hyperion_PS - Jun 6

7 by CocoaGalaxy »»
2 hours ago

» 'Tsue to Tsurugi no Wistoria' Reveals More Cast, Theme Songs, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Jun 6

2 by CocoaGalaxy »»
2 hours ago

» 'Shoushimin Series' Unveils Additional Staff, Theme Songs, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

2 by RobertBobert »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.