Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

For those who will be watching the live action in August, are you planning to watch it in the Japanese dub?

New
Jul 10, 2023 8:56 PM

Aug 2019
Someone's probably made a thread on this already, but I wasn't hanging around MAL when the news broke out that the anime cast will be dubbing the live action and can't be bothered to check.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 10, 2023 9:12 PM
Mar 2022
I'll watch it in English dub. Maybe Japanese for a re-watch. I watch the anime in Japanese because that's how it was originally made. Just like that, the live-action was originally made in English.

Translation will always leave out the writer's true intentions behind every dialogue. In this case, that would be English being translated to Japanese.
Jul 10, 2023 9:40 PM
Jan 2014
Watching live-action in dub should be a sin. And not like the fake outrage sub elitists make about anime, but like it's actually so jarring dubbing over real life people. It's a different version with different characters, so having them sound different helps disconnect it and treat is as its own standalone series rather than hearing anime Luffy and not getting anime Luffy so you're disappointed all the time.

I definitely thinks it's cool they're doing it though, so who knows maybe I'll watch one episode dubbed just to see it but I'll probably just end up watching YouTube videos of some highlights.
Jul 10, 2023 9:43 PM
Aug 2022
When you realize this will be the only time when anime fans watch dub.

(This is a joke, dub watchers. I know you exist and I am a part of y’all as well.)
Jul 10, 2023 10:03 PM
Jun 2020
I’ll watch it in English, that’s the language that best suits this version of the story for obvious reasons. Maybe on a rewatch I’ll watch it subbed
Jul 10, 2023 10:14 PM
Oct 2014
onepiece is one of the few animes that I refused to watch the Japanese of cause when I started watching anime I was 14 and didn't watch sub at the time , onepieces dub holds a special place in my heart just like naruto and bleaches dub , rn I'm on ep 669 or 670 aka the dressrosa arc and once I catch up in the dub, then I will go to the sub to catch up , basically the actors worked so hard and they seem so passionate I'm definitely gonna watch the english dub of it
Jul 10, 2023 11:16 PM
Jan 2017
I'm going to try and watch it with my sister, a non anime fan that has watched some anime in spanish dub, so probably we will watch it on spanish
Jul 11, 2023 12:11 AM
Apr 2021
I will watch it in English first, cuz i grew closer to cast members thanks to their wholesome behind the scenes and stuff, and if i like the live action is good, I'll rewatch it in Japanese :>
i doubt there will be an Italian or arabic dub (my mother languages) but if they are, I'll give them a try as well
nonetheless, im looking forward for this live action, mostly out of curiosity
Jul 11, 2023 1:33 AM
Feb 2022
Dub, later on Sub. . .
Jul 11, 2023 1:50 AM
Oct 2022
It depends on who is dubbing it
Jul 11, 2023 2:19 AM
Apr 2020
i’ll try both dub and sub and then i’ll see which i prefer
Jul 11, 2023 2:43 AM
Apr 2022
they have the same jp voices so I'll watch both if I have time. but I will watch the English first then the Japanese dub
Jul 11, 2023 2:44 AM
Apr 2022
atama_ga_okashii said:
It depends on who is dubbing it

the same voices as the anime
Jul 11, 2023 3:30 AM
Jun 2023
If you’re currently watching anime in dub, let me give you some advice.
Watch the sub. Please, just do it!

Of course, it is an hot topic with probably no real, right answer but just think about it.
Watching it in dub means you’ll have to wait much longer for the episodes to come out and it’s just inconvenient and unnecessary.

The real reason as to why you’re watching the dub is because you started watching anime with it from the beginning. The same for sub too. And that’s fine, as long as you’re fine with it. I don’t really care and won’t try to change your mind any longer but please think about it atleast.
Jul 11, 2023 4:32 AM
Jun 2023
bucciest said:
Someone's probably made a thread on this already, but I wasn't hanging around MAL when the news broke out that the anime cast will be dubbing the live action and can't be bothered to check.

I will drop it πŸ—ΏπŸ—Ώ
Jul 11, 2023 4:52 AM
Sep 2021
I will watch it in english dub, but also probably in either japanese sub or german dub (or maybe even both if they are good and I have the time xD).
Jul 11, 2023 4:54 AM

Dec 2021
Only If the English voice actors are good, or go with the Japanese dub cuz it's a classic
Jul 11, 2023 4:55 AM

Jan 2008
English first and if it's good I'll rewatch with the original Japanese cast

Also I got confused thinking people were talking anime as it's not dub or subbed. It's English or Japanese Dub with subtitles
UberBatJul 11, 2023 5:01 AM
Jul 11, 2023 4:57 AM
Jun 2021
If I do watch it I will watch it in English. I don’t like dubs for live action shows I always watch them in their original language with English subtitles
Jul 11, 2023 6:06 AM

Feb 2010
Start with English to get a feel for the intended presentation and then watch Japanese and Spanish later
Jul 11, 2023 6:37 AM
Mar 2023
That’s the stupidest shit I have ever heard
Jul 11, 2023 8:00 AM
Jan 2014
FGRoAGM said:

Of course, it is an hot topic with probably no real, right answer but just think about it.
Watching it in dub means you’ll have to wait much longer for the episodes to come out and it’s just inconvenient and unnecessary.

The real reason as to why you’re watching the dub is because you started watching anime with it from the beginning. The same for sub too. And that’s fine, as long as you’re fine with it. I don’t really care and won’t try to change your mind any longer but please think about it atleast.

πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„
Jul 11, 2023 8:22 AM
Nov 2021
I always watch the content in its original language.
Jul 11, 2023 9:56 AM

Aug 2019
UberBat said:
Also I got confused thinking people were talking anime as it's not dub or subbed. It's English or Japanese Dub with subtitles

It's a sign of where the anime fan is from and/or what language they speak, so they use these terms centering around their own experience generally as if it applies to everyone when it doesn't. At this point, I understand that they mean "Japanese dub" when they say sub and "English dub" when they say dub, but it is inane.
Jul 11, 2023 9:57 AM
Oct 2015
for me I'll try japanese first and maybe rewatch it again with eng
Jul 11, 2023 10:55 AM
Dec 2020
English because they're speaking it πŸ—Ώ
Jul 11, 2023 11:17 AM

Jun 2016
I doubt I'll be watching but if I do it will be in English. I don't like dubs and live action dubs add an extra level of uncanny. And yes I know that most live action productions feature tons of ADR due to the way single camera setups work.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jul 11, 2023 12:57 PM
Mar 2019
FGRoAGM said:

in my opinion having to read everything they say completely ruins the experience. plus the dub will be caught up in about a year if they keep their current pace
Jul 11, 2023 1:16 PM

Jan 2013
RyoushiMorino said:
FGRoAGM said:

in my opinion having to read everything they say completely ruins the experience. plus the dub will be caught up in about a year if they keep their current pace
That's just something you have to get over, it becomes normal if you watch enough subs.

Of course, I don't care if you watch dub, the real point is that many shows never get a dub.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 11, 2023 2:06 PM
Oct 2022
English. The entire point of me watching sub for anime is it’s the original language and how it’s intended to be watched. If the LA version of OP is intended to be English, watching it in another language just doesn’t make sense to me.
Jul 11, 2023 2:07 PM
Oct 2022
RandomPerson9348 said:
I'll watch it in English dub. Maybe Japanese for a re-watch. I watch the anime in Japanese because that's how it was originally made. Just like that, the live-action was originally made in English.

Translation will always leave out the writer's true intentions behind every dialogue. In this case, that would be English being translated to Japanese.

Exactly, if it’s meant to be English I’ll be watching it in English.
Jul 11, 2023 2:57 PM
Mar 2019
LostSpectre said:
RyoushiMorino said:

That's just something you have to get over, it becomes normal if you watch enough subs.

Of course, I don't care if you watch dub, the real point is that many shows never get a dub.

or only half way dubbed πŸ˜”
Jul 11, 2023 3:01 PM

May 2014
Nah with live action stuff I tend to stick with the original language.
Jul 11, 2023 3:05 PM

Jan 2013
RyoushiMorino said:
LostSpectre said:

or only half way dubbed πŸ˜”
Yeah, I still haven't gotten around to watching the rest of Mushishi after discovering they only dubbed the first season. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 11, 2023 3:36 PM

Aug 2019
RandomPerson9348 said:

Not sure that that really applies in this case unless you understand more than one language. Netflix usually has English subtitles that's just an exact transcription of what's being said in English, so for someone who doesn't understand Japanese, they could put on the Japanese dub while reading the captions from the original English script. Slightly different experience, but you'd be getting the same meaning.
Jul 11, 2023 3:48 PM
Dec 2022
Nothing wrong against the Japanese dub and VAs but listening to dub on a live action throws me off lol
Jul 11, 2023 7:26 PM
Apr 2022
I think the jap dub version would be better but ima just watch the original
Jul 11, 2023 7:36 PM
Jan 2014
GoCrayzee said:
English. The entire point of me watching sub for anime is it’s the original language and how it’s intended to be watched. If the LA version of OP is intended to be English, watching it in another language just doesn’t make sense to me.

I never understood the "intended to be watched" argument. You act like the companies actually care about how you watch the show and think the original voice actors are the only valid ones. They're just making a show in their language... it's just a show. It's the same show. The only "intended" way to watch a show is one that gives them money πŸ™ƒ They don't care what language you watch it in. That goes for all companies. You really think Disney cares if people pay them money to watch Spider-Man in Japanese theaters? No.

And just go look at how excited the Netflix cast is that the original anime VAs are dubbing over them, they just want you to appreciate their hard work no matter how you view it.

If you like to watch the original just say that.
Jul 11, 2023 8:10 PM
Oct 2022
Black60Dragon said:
GoCrayzee said:

I never understood the "intended to be watched" argument. You act like the companies actually care about how you watch the show and think the original voice actors are the only valid ones. They're just making a show in their language... it's just a show. It's the same show. The only "intended" way to watch a show is one that gives them money πŸ™ƒ They don't care what language you watch it in. That goes for all companies. You really think Disney cares if people pay them money to watch Spider-Man in Japanese theaters? No.

And just go look at how excited the Netflix cast is that the original anime VAs are dubbing over them, they just want you to appreciate their hard work no matter how you view it.

How it was intended has no correlation to the studio wanting money. Yes, dubs are made so more people will watch, therefore the studio makes tons more cash, but just because other dubs exist doesn’t mean the original language isn’t the intended way to be viewed.

Hollywood primarily makes movies and shows for Americans, hence why they typically only count revenue from the domestic box office. English is still the intended way to view Spider-Man, being available in other languages doesn’t invalidate the project’s intended audience or language.
Jul 11, 2023 8:14 PM
Jan 2014
GoCrayzee said:
Black60Dragon said:

How it was intended has no correlation to the studio wanting money. Yes, dubs are made so more people will watch, therefore the studio makes tons more cash, but just because other dubs exist doesn’t mean the original language isn’t the intended way to be viewed.

Hollywood primarily makes movies and shows for Americans, hence why they typically only count revenue from the domestic box office. English is still the intended way to view Spider-Man, being available in other languages doesn’t invalidate the project’s intended audience or language.

Considering the "intended" release of Spider-Man was worldwide, uh no. Secondly it does actually. If the studios only wanted you to watch one version and actually cared which version you watched, then they would have only made one version. Also trying to use Spider-Man as an example when Disney released multiple different versions in the US to promote rewatching and the multiverse is hilarious.

Just own up to your opinion. If you personally prefer to watch the original, then just say that. You don't need to make excuses.
Jul 11, 2023 8:25 PM

Apr 2021
definitely in english, this is just me personally if you prefer to watch it in japanese dub, its fine. For me i feel its like borderline disrespectful to watch it in dub, like you wouldnt be seeing the actors acting, all their efforts for naught. Plus the anime is one way the story is told, the live action would be another way. If i wanted to see it with the japanese dub i would just stick with the anime, and if i didnt want to see the acting i wouldnt watch the live action. 
Jul 11, 2023 8:30 PM
Mar 2022
bucciest said:
RandomPerson9348 said:

Not sure that that really applies in this case unless you understand more than one language. Netflix usually has English subtitles that's just an exact transcription of what's being said in English, so for someone who doesn't understand Japanese, they could put on the Japanese dub while reading the captions from the original English script. Slightly different experience, but you'd be getting the same meaning.

I don't have Netflix, so I don't know how it works. But in Crunchyroll, the English subtitles are different depending on what audio language you are using. Japanese and English versions get vastly different subtitles. However, as I said, I don't know much about Netflix. Maybe they use the same subs.

But in my opinion, it will still be better to watch it in English because there are more nuances than just dialogue. Seeing an actor speak what they were supposed to gives a much better gauge of their acting skills, compared to a dub.

At the end of the day, it's just a preference. What matters if this will be any good to warrant discussion beyond two days in the first place πŸ’€.
Jul 11, 2023 8:39 PM
Mar 2022
Black60Dragon said:
GoCrayzee said:

And I never understood the "companies don't care" argument. Yes, the large companies don't even care about the audience. They want the money. But they are the ones producing it, not making it.

There's a writer who spent months writing dialogues and changing them to make sure they are perfect for the situation. There's a director who has changed scenes over and over to make sure that they work with the tone and delivery of the dialogue. There are actors who have spent large parts of their years reading their dialogues, tweaking them and learning them to give their best possible performance. These people are not just doing it for the money. They do it out of passion. And all that time and effort was spent while shooting the show in English.

So, yes, the show was intended to be watched in English. Not by the producers wanting the money, but by the people who made it and gave their best. The actors being excited does not have anything to do with this. They're fans of the anime. Of course they're excited to have the original cast dub them.
Jul 11, 2023 9:31 PM
Jan 2014
RandomPerson9348 said:
Black60Dragon said:

And I never understood the "companies don't care" argument. Yes, the large companies don't even care about the audience. They want the money. But they are the ones producing it, not making it.

There's a writer who spent months writing dialogues and changing them to make sure they are perfect for the situation. There's a director who has changed scenes over and over to make sure that they work with the tone and delivery of the dialogue. There are actors who have spent large parts of their years reading their dialogues, tweaking them and learning them to give their best possible performance. These people are not just doing it for the money. They do it out of passion. And all that time and effort was spent while shooting the show in English.

So, yes, the show was intended to be watched in English. Not by the producers wanting the money, but by the people who made it and gave their best. The actors being excited does not have anything to do with this. They're fans of the anime. Of course they're excited to have the original cast dub them.

If the director/writer, who FYI is also a massive fan, didn't want people watching it however they want then he wouldn't have pushed so hard for this to happen. All they care about is that you watch it, the how doesn't matter it never has. It's just a poor excuse people use to feel special. Just own up to your opinion, quit pretending to be holier than thou.
Jul 12, 2023 12:21 AM
Nov 2020
Jul 12, 2023 2:44 AM
Sep 2021
FGRoAGM said:

Why do you care how other people watch anime?

Jul 12, 2023 5:32 AM
Aug 2021
watching one piece starting some 400 ep in rng dub is something that i always regret
it will come in handy now as I will not feel weird from eng dub
Jul 12, 2023 10:24 AM
Aug 2020
I want to watch it as the creators envisioned, wether it sucks or not. The show is meant to be a more western adaption and was written around these actor’s voices so I think that’s how it should be judged
Jul 12, 2023 10:27 AM

Feb 2017
I'll watch it in english, usually dubs over live-action things are too distracting because the lip-sync being off is more noticeable
Jul 13, 2023 12:42 AM
Aug 2022
I'm afraid that the Japanese dub is going to look goofy because of the mouth movements, so I'd rather watch it in English.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1008 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Jan 29, 2022

90 by Cuntover »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 999 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Nov 13, 2021

90 by Cuntover »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 594 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Wind_Sr - May 4, 2013

88 by TheAquilaSamurai »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 203 Discussion

VARIAchan - Jan 4, 2010

38 by Titanfan93 »»
4 hours ago

» The most attractive person in the show? ( 1 2 )

tommygunn34 - Sep 17

85 by NoMoreWallMaria »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.