Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Light is...
Apr 25, 2023 9:08 PM
Feb 2019
Do you consider Light evil? Or is he right? Or is he wrong but still not evil?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 25, 2023 9:28 PM
Sep 2022
Enri_eu said:

The opposite, he is right, but also evil.
Apr 25, 2023 9:44 PM
May 2022
ofcourse his doing is evil but personal preference i think he is right
Apr 25, 2023 9:47 PM

Dec 2019
He spittin facts but also an evil selfish mf
Apr 25, 2023 9:50 PM

Jul 2015
He had noble intentions despite methods, but eventually his God complex kicked in and he was doing it just for his own self gratification, because it felt like it.

Apr 25, 2023 9:54 PM

Aug 2021
he’s both right and evil to a degree. he’s right in his idea of banishing crime but his approach of killing all criminals is obviously evil
Apr 25, 2023 10:14 PM
Aug 2017
Enri_eu said:

I wouldnt say hes “evil” cause he has good intentions. Psychotic? Yes. Delusional even? Definitely. But Evil? No no
Apr 25, 2023 10:36 PM
Chompers
Apr 2023
Of course he was evil no normal human with a good attentions can do what he did is it better to have one evil man than many roaming the Earth to kill a monster you have to become a monster he knew this and he accepted that responsibility.
ChowdersApr 25, 2023 10:43 PM
Apr 25, 2023 10:51 PM
Dec 2022
He is just pure evil
Apr 25, 2023 10:59 PM
Aug 2021
Light himself believes what he is doing is evil but feels the evil is necessary to achieve a world free of criminals and useless people to society
Apr 25, 2023 10:59 PM

Aug 2021
light doesn't take into account that it's socioeconomic status and a whole lot of different societal problems that put people in situations where they commit crime

so basically, he just decided to murder victims of violence, poor people, and those who struggle with mental health

and that's evil and fascistic

and if u think that he was right... bruh just think again for at least a second

what if u fell into drug addiction and eventually drug dealing because of being a depressed incel who spends all their time on mal
and then u get kicked out of the house cuz u're a loser and u have no job and u must steal in order to stay alive

complete lack of understanding of how the world works, light has such a simplistic worldview, and if u agree with him, so do u

hope u never get into irl politics, maybe just stay on mal
Apr 25, 2023 11:06 PM

Dec 2021
Some of what he says is true ,but he also says a lot of stupid sh. His ways were of evil justice so I would most likely say yeah he is evil
Have a wonderful day!
Apr 25, 2023 11:17 PM

Aug 2018
Of course he's evil! He's more evil than most shounen villains!

When he only killed criminals? I was still rooting for him. Criminals are a danger to society and killing them can be considered a morally Grey act. So, no Light isn't evil for simply killing criminals

When he started Killing innocents? Yeah now that's evil. There is no justification for killing innocent people. Not even if it's to save your own skin.

When he killed innocents, sadistically mocked them before they died and laughed his ass off after they died? Yeah that's just pure evil. He gloated as he killed Naomi Misora and Ray Penber. Those two did nothing wrong.

When he killed his allies once they outlived their usefulness? Light crossed every line there is to cross. He even enjoyed burning Kiyomi Takada to crisps. After everything she did for him, he just disposes Kiyomi by just burning her to death and he literally snickers as he's doing it!
Spoonmaster12Apr 25, 2023 11:22 PM
Maloween 2020 candies

Main candies:

Apr 25, 2023 11:21 PM
Jun 2022
Evil might be the wrong term to use.
A combination of Psychotic, obsessive, narcissist , God complex (I don't know singular term lol) might be more accurate.
The core idea to eliminate crime is good but his approach is questionable.
It's all very grey anyway. To some it might be perfect to some no, all based on personal experiences and pov. That is why it is so good.
Apr 25, 2023 11:31 PM

Jul 2015
elgatosaika said:
light doesn't take into account that it's socioeconomic status and a whole lot of different societal problems that put people in situations where they commit crime

so basically, he just decided to murder victims of violence, poor people, and those who struggle with mental health

what if u fell into drug addiction and eventually drug dealing because of being a depressed incel who spends all their time on mal
and then u get kicked out of the house cuz u're a loser and u have no job and u must steal in order to stay alive

complete lack of understanding of how the world works, light has such a simplistic worldview, and if u agree with him, so do u

What the actual fuck did I just read... :0
I don't think this is the place to shoehorn your policical ideology.

Apr 25, 2023 11:38 PM

Aug 2021
Piromysl said:
elgatosaika said:

how is this political? this is literally how crime happens, right now to me u might as well be a flatearther if u disagree
so u think that some simply have crime in their DNA? lol
Apr 25, 2023 11:41 PM
Nov 2021
For those voting he's not evil(becausehe only kills criminals)...he made an innocent woman commit suicide (the detectives girlfriend or fiance).For that alone I consider him evil. It's been very long since I've watched it, dunno how many more innocent people he killed.
Apr 25, 2023 11:44 PM

Jul 2015
elgatosaika said:
Piromysl said:

how is this political? this is literally how crime happens, right now to me u might as well be a flatearther if u disagree

If you are seriously going to tell me that somehow poverty causes crime, then you are completely wrong, because in fact, crime causes poverty.
If you have the rule of law, protections for private property and people can invest money into business and potentially make a profit, then we have a free market system and people will willingly provide goods and services to all kinds of people and neighborhoods as long as they know, that their only risk is associated with going into business. However, if you allow criminality to run rampant, then nothing about the investment can be secure. Insurance rates go up, potential profits are gobbled up by theft, less people will be willing to work, government is clearly not on your side, because they are not prosecuting, so there is no deterrent effect and there is physical danger for you and your employees to work in certain areas, you'll going to see those businesses flee.
This is exactly what happened to Walmart in Chicago recently. After 17 years of losing money there, they were forced to flee and as a result local community lost local source of basic, affordable goods and they will suffer as a result.
So, "poverty causes crime" is a complete myth.
Also, giving sympathy to unapologetic, opportunistic scum is not a hill to die on. I don't think that rapists, murderers and Yakuza portrayed in this show are victim of circumstances.
PiromyslApr 26, 2023 12:06 AM

Apr 25, 2023 11:54 PM
Nov 2021
Is he really evil?

It will depend on your personal view on how justice should work.

Is he righteous?

Hell no.
Apr 26, 2023 12:03 AM

Jul 2015
AlienX97 said:
For those voting he's not evil(becausehe only kills criminals)...he made an innocent woman commit suicide (the detectives girlfriend or fiance).For that alone I consider him evil. It's been very long since I've watched it, dunno how many more innocent people he killed.

He killed Lind L Taylor in episode 2, whom he unironically thought to be a cop doing his job.
That was the moment when his downfall started. Slowly, but surely. L exposed him pretty well.
PiromyslApr 26, 2023 12:07 AM

Apr 26, 2023 12:24 AM
Apr 2022
He is rightly evil.
Apr 26, 2023 12:25 AM
Jan 2023
He has good intentions in the start but later he becomes evil and kills many innocent people
and he even used his father's death for his own benefit
Apr 26, 2023 12:43 AM

Aug 2022
He wanted to do good things but his way of doing things was evil 🗿

Apr 26, 2023 1:00 AM

Jan 2009
he was fighting greater evil at first then as the saying goes when fighting monsters be careful becoming a monster too and welp he became the very thing he swore to destroy
Apr 26, 2023 1:00 AM
Jul 2021
He is just a guy who had noble intentions but the special power which he was gifted with, corrupted him from inside and as a result, he went off the tracks. Oh yeah and ntm his God complex also played its role in shaping up his character.

He starts off as a good person but becomes the opposite in the end. Despised criminals and wanted justice to prevail, yet he himself becomes the same.
dk107_Apr 26, 2023 1:12 AM
Apr 26, 2023 1:10 AM
Oct 2022
Light Yagami is not evil but the personality Kira is evil
Apr 26, 2023 1:27 AM
Apr 2023
Light Yagami wasn't evil at all at the start of the series. He just tends to lose control in the second half and then he turns evil without even knowing himself.
Apr 26, 2023 1:35 AM
Nov 2022
Hes more efficient then the gorvement at being the law. He caused alot of deaths but it ultimately saved more people as well, if it wasn’t for him being so selfish (like that one time he considered killing lazy people) as well as it being morally wrong. Then hes actually techniqually a GOD
Apr 26, 2023 1:38 AM
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
how does wanting to eradicate evil makes you evil ? smh
Apr 26, 2023 1:42 AM
Apr 2022
It really depends on point of view. He is serial killer, but for cost of better world.
Apr 26, 2023 2:04 AM
Dec 2020
Piromysl said:
elgatosaika said:

If you are seriously going to tell me that somehow poverty causes crime, then you are completely wrong, because in fact, crime causes poverty.
If you have the rule of law, protections for private property and people can invest money into business and potentially make a profit, then we have a free market system and people will willingly provide goods and services to all kinds of people and neighborhoods as long as they know, that their only risk is associated with going into business. However, if you allow criminality to run rampant, then nothing about the investment can be secure. Insurance rates go up, potential profits are gobbled up by theft, less people will be willing to work, government is clearly not on your side, because they are not prosecuting, so there is no deterrent effect and there is physical danger for you and your employees to work in certain areas, you'll going to see those businesses flee.
This is exactly what happened to Walmart in Chicago recently. After 17 years of losing money there, they were forced to flee and as a result local community lost local source of basic, affordable goods and they will suffer as a result.
So, "poverty causes crime" is a complete myth.
Also, giving sympathy to unapologetic, opportunistic scum is not a hill to die on. I don't think that rapists, murderers and Yakuza portrayed in this show are victim of circumstances.

Very well layed out. Really this whole question is a similar take on the trolley car problem, both of which show how modern conventional morality ends up handicapping its own interests when taken to its logical conclusion. "Murder is bad so killing murderers makes you as bad as them..." etc. when in reality any society in the not so distant past payed no thought to such bourgeois concerns so disconnected from nature/reality. Light understood this well, and while he enjoyed the role he played he also recognized he was assuming the burden few others could ever be willing/able to bear. Nietzsche sums this up pretty nicely imo:

"Being able to suffer is the least thing: weak women and even slaves often attain mastery in that. But not to perish of inner distress and uncertainty when one inflicts great suffering, and hears the cry of this suffering —that is great, that belongs to greatness."
Apr 26, 2023 2:11 AM
Apr 2023
Enri_eu said:

Light Yagami is not evil. He recognized that it is the death note that makes him like this. And this is shown when he renounces the death note.
Apr 26, 2023 2:24 AM
Feb 2019
kxlel02 said:
he’s both right and evil to a degree. he’s right in his idea of banishing crime but his approach of killing all criminals is obviously evil

Nope i think that is really based and we need that in real life
Apr 26, 2023 2:27 AM
Jul 2021
KaloEagle said:
Enri_eu said:

The opposite, he is right, but also evil.

exactly how i would put it, he’s right but still
evil
Apr 26, 2023 2:29 AM
Aug 2021
what he did was bad but he was good
Apr 26, 2023 3:24 AM
Nov 2021
He started with good intentions.... but later turned into absolute evil
Apr 26, 2023 5:35 AM
Oct 2022
From the start it feels nit evil but when you realise what is he doing to others then you will say its pure evil.
Apr 26, 2023 5:38 AM
Aug 2022
certainly, his actions take him as a villain, but also the protagonist of the story
Apr 26, 2023 5:50 AM
Apr 2023
He is an anti-villain, if you don't know what it is look it up.

Also, lol at that coping wall of inane bullshit and the claim of  "poverty causes crime" is a complete myth" when it's very much real as proven by statistics and examples that can be easily fouınd on the net.
LockleaeApr 26, 2023 5:57 AM
Apr 26, 2023 6:20 AM
Mar 2022
Nahhh... He is just corrupted, that what makes him human. unlike L people don't always cling to justice now a days. Now the anime had 2 separate bases, the righteous thought we have been hearing in our lives, L follows those ideals and Light got deviated from the path of Brutal Justice to becoming Justice. Im on Light's side👍🏼
Apr 26, 2023 7:21 AM
May 2022
It's a bit complicated to answer this, this is one thing that i like about deathnote that it plays with your morality. The whole battle between Light and L is a moral opposition, even though L has no interest in determining what is truly justice and he mainly does it for the mouse and cat game that intrigues him, it's clear that the show depicts this battle between them as a battle of morality regardless of L's disinterest regarding morality and justice. Light is a consequentialist L is depicted in the show as being a deontologist (those are 2 ethical theories, search them up if you want know the meaning behind them) morality isn't a concept that can be well defined, it's mainly about perspective, a consequentialist would not call Light evil but a deontologist would...personally my wheel tends to rotate more towards deontology but i'm still not so sure of my own moral sense, currently i would say it is at balance between consequentialism and deontology. We could say that Light's actions had a relatively good effect upon the world but the thing about committing the same deeds as criminals is that while killing them you ultimately kill something within yourself, and that's exactly what happened to Light while constantly advocating for this consequentialist ideology regarding the killing of criminals, he slowly transformed into a monster that was ready to sacrifice even innocent lives in order to achieve his goals (which he did). I think that Light is evil, the real question is if his deed is worth it and if it's ultimately moral...we must also take in consideration the number of false allegations that may have been put onto some criminals that Light killed, who knows how many unguilty people Light might have killed? We must also highlight the possibility that many of his victims could've possibly changed their ways and become a better person...but if we were to abandon those thoughts and go with the assumption that Light's killings we're against total monsters we still can't settle wether what he did is morally good or not, a deontologist would say that the action of killing is evil no matter who you do it against, a consequentialist would say that it is ultimately good because he believes that the end justifies the means. As i said it's mainly all about perspective, this show is a nice depiction of the complexity of morality and that no matter how hard we try, we can never reach an objective conclusion.
Apr 26, 2023 7:22 AM
Feb 2023
In my opinion, He stands between justice and evil, a righteous soul corrupted by the power that is beyond his capability to handle as an imperfect human being.

on the other hand, his character was built just perfect, especially his ego, emotions, thoughts, and all of his flaws as an individual who is trying to hold onto his strong beliefs and justify his actions.
MauzhrApr 26, 2023 8:26 AM
Apr 26, 2023 7:39 AM
Apr 2021
I've seen people say that he wants to improve the world in his own way, but tbh that's just at the start. He grows more and more twisted as the shows continues. He kills objectively good people in the name of creating a better world, but his better world is a world in which he is basically the god that controls everything. Still a fun character to watch though, eventhough I see him as firmly on the evil side.
Apr 26, 2023 7:44 AM
Mar 2022
off course he isn't evil
Apr 26, 2023 8:06 AM
Nov 2021
Enri_eu said:

He's evil, but thats what makes Death Note interesting.
Apr 26, 2023 8:34 AM

Apr 2016
He obviously is.
Aside from his ideals, he killed innocent people because they were a burden to him, and he laught when he kill them.

There is no way he can be considered not evil.
Apr 26, 2023 8:48 AM
Dec 2020
he is evil, but he does it for the good of the nation or whatever… he means it in a good way, that’s what i like abt him >>
Apr 26, 2023 8:50 AM
Apr 2023
"Was  L really good" would be a much more interesting thread than this and more original.
LockleaeApr 26, 2023 8:57 AM
Apr 26, 2023 9:14 AM
Feb 2022
This question is suppose to a joke right I mean come on 🗿.
Apr 26, 2023 9:51 AM
Dec 2022
Piromysl said:
He had noble intentions despite methods, but eventually his God complex kicked in and he was doing it just for his own self gratification, because it felt like it.

The perfect explanation
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Opinions on Donald Trump's cameo?

Kafzeth - May 28

32 by tweetoot »»
Yesterday, 6:43 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Boursk - Jun 27, 2007

923 by Tooder »»
Jun 2, 3:21 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

queenofautumn - Aug 24, 2007

89 by Albino-52 »»
Jun 2, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

398 by VanVeleca »»
Jun 1, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stars4evr09 - Jun 26, 2008

214 by LyraKeaton »»
Jun 1, 11:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.