Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 26, 2022 6:06 AM

Feb 2015
I've heard and read this series for such a long time now, and admittedly I don't really watch a lot of shounen titles and I have been really out of the loop on the new titles outside the old shounen titles like One Piece, Naruto etc. At first glance they seem to be very similar with shounen action stories but I'm wondering if this series has something different to offer because many people are saying this is like the best etc. From what I remember people voted this as anime of the decade even.

I'm asking this because my first impressions of this series is kinda meh, just curious why would this series be considered one of the best.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 26, 2022 6:09 AM

Jan 2017
Joms said:
I'm wondering if this series has something different to offer

Ufotable.
There is also the cool characters designs , but it's not as good as Bleach , in my opinion.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Feb 26, 2022 6:13 AM

Jan 2021
No, its bad even as a shounen.
There are hundreds if not thousands of shows that are written a lot better than Demon Slayer. But animation wise? Yeah, its one of the best.
Feb 26, 2022 6:20 AM
Mar 2021
Watch it for cool animation. It’s disappointing in basically every other aspect.
Feb 26, 2022 6:21 AM
May 2020
Majority of the people like this series because of its animation
Feb 26, 2022 6:23 AM

Jun 2021
based on your list i think you would hate this show haha. highly recommend trying attack on titan
Feb 26, 2022 6:25 AM
Jan 2021
Joms said:
I've heard and read this series for such a long time now, and admittedly I don't really watch a lot of shounen titles and I have been really out of the loop on the new titles outside the old shounen titles like One Piece, Naruto etc. At first glance they seem to be very similar with shounen action stories but I'm wondering if this series has something different to offer because many people are saying this is like the best etc. From what I remember people voted this as anime of the decade even.

I'm asking this because my first impressions of this series is kinda meh, just curious why would this series be considered one of the best.

If you’re looking for something that brings something new to the table… then this isn’t for you. This takes many shonen tropes and amps them up to the max. Kinda like Haikyuu. Also the fights and animation are amazing. So if you just wanna chill and watch something with fun characters and kickass fights, I’d recommend it.
Feb 26, 2022 6:29 AM

Jul 2015
It's a simple show. Arguably THE best gateway anime yet.
It's completely self aware in what it is supposed to be and it does it very well.

Feb 26, 2022 6:29 AM
Apr 2020
Because Ufotable and nothing more. I like the characters but they are not so good as the animation
Feb 26, 2022 6:34 AM

May 2021
beats me,Its your call
Feb 26, 2022 6:36 AM

Dec 2020
The anime is better than the manga in every aspect except one. The comedy in the anime and a certain character are unbearable in the anime. For that alone, I like the manga better than the anime.
Sep 2021
Joms said:

The only different thing this anime does is to have got tier animation combined with an equally good soundtrack
In terms of story it’s dead average even for a shounen. There are moments where it becomes really good but for the most part it’s just average.
If you want, you should just watch it. As for the manga well artwork is really decent but it’s not worth to read it unless you want to know more about the story before it gets adapted
Jul 2021
instead of watching this, watch fate series and Kara no kyoukai. it's good in story as well as animation
Feb 26, 2022 6:37 AM

Dec 2020
And, I don't think this is even in the top 50 shounen of all time. Popularity =/= Quality.
Feb 26, 2022 6:37 AM

Jun 2021
Joms said:

The last, point you've got that part wrong. No,overall it isn't one of the best at all. Let me get this straight,if you want really good plot and all you're gonna be disappointed. The plot armour and ass pulls in every arc are just bullcrap. Now,why should u watch/read this? You won't see better animated fights than this other than in Fate (well that's also from Ufotable). And the power system is like...what should I say, vivid may be the right word??? The breathing techniques are a eye feast under Ufotable's animation. But expect plot armour and ass pulls in fights. Plot is nothing special, probably absolutely nothing compared to the old gen shonens you mentioned. Now coming to characters,most of the antagonists have a well written backstory other then the main antagonist himself, he's just a pussy. I can't exactly give you any reason to read it,coz artwork is really lower than the average...for most part of the manga the artwork is 5-5.5/10, it gets 6.5/10 in the last arc,or more precisely the last two big fights. Summing it up, it's one of the most overhyped shows ever,if some other studio would've adapted this I don't see half of the current hype happening (exception MAPPA probably).
Here's my ratings:
Story: 5.5/19
Characters: 7/10
Animation: 10/10 no debate on this part
Manga artwork: 6/10
Fights: After reading the manga, Not less than 7.5/10 for sure. I can guarantee you the fights of the final arc will be fire when they get adapted.
roxy_kouhaiFeb 26, 2022 6:40 AM
Feb 26, 2022 6:41 AM
May 2021
the only reason to watch it is animation as well as the future of the series is bright, next seasons are gonna be peak 🤩
Feb 26, 2022 6:46 AM

Feb 2020
Joms said:

There's no point us saying you should continue because of this and that. If you didn't liked it, don't bother.
CyroseFeb 26, 2022 8:21 AM

Feb 26, 2022 6:53 AM
Nov 2020
dont ( 15 character limit)
Jul 2021
Animation go brrrr. In all seriousness there isn't anything special about KnY, it's mostly just mindless fun and phenomenonal production quality. I really enjoy it, but cuz I never had any high expectations for it. If you wanna watch it then I recommend going into it with low or zero expectations so you can enjoy it.
Jul 2018
Either because it interests you or not? Whether or not you like the series is dependent on your own interest in it. I personally found the concept of Demon Slayer interesting with the storyline around demons and Tanjiro's desire to save his sister. I also like the different sword techniques the Demon Slayer Corps possesses.
Feb 26, 2022 6:54 AM
May 2021
You can watch because of the animation if you want. Story wise it's actually pretty bad and characters are cool I guess.
Feb 26, 2022 6:55 AM
Aug 2021
You should watch it, the story is simple but the animation and fights are amazing, you will really like the characters even if you don't like shounen that much like myself you will not regret watching it
Feb 26, 2022 7:03 AM

Feb 2015
yeah, thanks for letting me know it's ufotable, The only ufotable I remember is kara no kyoukai series and I didn't like any of that, guess I'll just pass on this one if the animation is the only thing I should look out. I'm more into cheesy 80s-90s animation more than modern ones
Feb 26, 2022 7:31 AM
Oct 2019
It's a really fun watch. The setting being in old Japan is really nice aesthetically. The animation is what sends it over the edge. It hits the typical shounen notes and the plot isn't anything crazy. Personally wasn't the biggest fan of season 1 but it was enjoyable to watch. I wouldn't really put it in the same realm as the Big 3 since those are long running anime. but if you never really cared about the shounen titles, you should probably just give it the 3 episode test and move on if you don't care after that. Season 2 has been incredible for shounen fans tho.
Feb 26, 2022 7:43 AM
Apr 2021
Forget about reading the Manga, IMHO what carries Demon Slayer are animation, VAs and ost, so watching the anime is the way to go
Feb 26, 2022 7:50 AM
Jan 2022
I personally like the story, it's nice very rare though. The animation is amazing. Give it a try, if you like it then continue if you don't then drop.
Feb 26, 2022 7:53 AM

Aug 2017
this is fairy tail level generic shounen just with good animation. if you like good animation and have nothing against generic shounen watch it. if you don’t like generic shounen and good animation then dont watch it.
Feb 26, 2022 7:58 AM
Nov 2021
Joms said:

This show is unapologetically shounen. It’s has a simple story and it knows it does best when it comes to the action because that is what you’ll see most people talk about when they say they like Demon Slayer. I don’t know what polls you’re looking at but I seriously doubt many people(even fans of the series) are genuinely voting for Demon Slayer as one of the best of the decade.

However, Demon Slayer is genuinely one of my favorite shows right now. That’s because the action is great, animation is genuinely untouchable(some of the best you’ll ever see, Ufotable 🐐) and the characters are fun.

If you’re simply looking for some fun shounen action, Demon Slayer is easily a top choice.

If you’re not, then you’re most likely not going to enjoy the series.
Feb 26, 2022 8:04 AM

Feb 2015
MunkeeMan said:
Joms said:

This show is unapologetically shounen. It’s has a simple story and it knows it does best when it comes to the action because that is what you’ll see most people talk about when they say they like Demon Slayer. I don’t know what polls you’re looking at but I seriously doubt many people(even fans of the series) are genuinely voting for Demon Slayer as one of the best of the decade.

However, Demon Slayer is genuinely one of my favorite shows right now. That’s because the action is great, animation is genuinely untouchable(some of the best you’ll ever see, Ufotable 🐐) and the characters are fun.

If you’re simply looking for some fun shounen action, Demon Slayer is easily a top choice.

If you’re not, then you’re most likely not going to enjoy the series.

Thanks, if it's straight-up shonen then I'll understand why it appeals to people. I should've known already because my brother loves this anime and from what I remember he only watched shounen shows. I think it was Funimation which awarded this show as the anime of the decade way back 2019.
Feb 26, 2022 8:06 AM

Mar 2011
No one should have to convince you to watch a show that's rated this high and has this many positive reviews. There are plenty of resources already that can inform you of this series' quality. You don't need a dozen more people that bother replying to this thread to tell you that it's good. You just want attention.
Feb 26, 2022 8:10 AM

Feb 2015
ickoriss said:
No one should have to convince you to watch a show that's rated this high and has this many positive reviews. There are plenty of resources already that can inform you of this series' quality. You don't need a dozen more people that bother replying to this thread to tell you that it's good. You just want attention.

Yes.

(15 char limit)
Feb 26, 2022 8:16 AM
Jan 2021
Fuck Demon slayer. Read Berserk
Feb 26, 2022 8:16 AM
Jan 2021
Fuck Demon slayer. Read Berserk
Feb 26, 2022 8:32 AM

Mar 2021
because ufotable is animating it. if you want to watch breathtaking action scenes and amazing choreography, this is one of the best anime to watch. I won't defend the plot since i agree it is very bad in many aspects. But the animation is second to no other studio animes
Feb 26, 2022 8:49 AM
Feb 2022
Those people that say this anime is loved because of its animation are talking trash, I can guarantee you that. It's my favorite anime and manga of all time. You can say the plot is bad all you want, but it won't change my opinion. And some people will say One Piece is better than Demon Slayer. I've watched One Piece and I don't really like it.

It depends on your taste if you like it or not. Give it a try and see for yourself.
Feb 26, 2022 8:50 AM

Sep 2020
Reason(s) why you should watch Demon Slayer:

1.) The fighting scenes... thas it

It's fine for modern animation but that's not saying much anyway, the constant use of the cgi environments mixed with the traditional 2-D style characters makes it look like the characters are on top of the world rather than IN the world. So just keep in mind that the only redeeming quality isn't even that good to look at.
Feb 26, 2022 8:51 AM
Aug 2021
For having fun and experiencing good character designs. Actually not much reasons. I love demon slayer. I watched and read it but i can admit it is not that good when it comes to story development. One of the reasons i love this series is the art style. Both in manga and anime i loved the art and designs. Also i love the first season and how it shows the demons once were humans like our main protagonist. I love how it shows demons can be good too. Yeah the first season was really fun and emotional but i know after this point it will only get bad. The storytelling got worse as series continued. There's so many unexplained situations. Towards the end (in manga) they just kept jumping through one topic to another without good story development and i am really sad about it. I love the series because it had a really good potential in first season. It was incredible but I know other seasons will not be that good. Its sad they really destroyed the potential
Feb 26, 2022 8:58 AM

Mar 2011
Joms said:
ickoriss said:

Yes.

(15 char limit)

Fair enough then lol.
Feb 26, 2022 9:17 AM

Oct 2014
Joms said:
but I'm wondering if this series has something different to offer because many people are saying this is like the best etc.

Nah. The average anime fan already loves uninspired and badly written shounens, and if you give one to Ufotable then this is what happens apparently.
Feb 26, 2022 9:24 AM
May 2016
U may watch just for top-notch visual quality, outstanding drawing
Feb 26, 2022 9:29 AM
Jan 2022
Joms said:

I mean, this is a bad series, full of cliches with horrible characters, but, thanks to ufotable, the graphics is very cool so, if you’re looking for an anime just for brainless fun, watch it, but if you’re searching a good series, demon slayer is not what you’re looking for
Feb 26, 2022 9:29 AM
Jul 2020
Joms said:

I personally think its a great anime. The animation is good, character development is plentiful, and the plot is OK. As someone who hasnt watched “as much” anime, this definitely is at least a 7/10 for me.

Id saw watch some of it, if you decide its not for you just drop it.

Feb 26, 2022 9:41 AM
Aug 2021
If you don’t like it much now it honestly doesn’t get much better imo. I’m like you and found it ok but not great. I gave it a shot up to the mugen train arc then dropped it after that. Apparently the new season is supposed to be great though so maybe give it a shot.
Feb 26, 2022 10:43 AM
Dec 2021
This series will bigger till the Swordsman Village Arc which is getting animated, trust me, you don't know what you're missing
Feb 26, 2022 10:50 AM

Sep 2009
I thought it was pretty great. I dig the animation and characters
Feb 26, 2022 10:54 AM

Jan 2021
Well its all up to you but I can tell you a few things about why I like this.

The first episode was pretty good and made me hooked.
There is a clear cut goal and objective of the main character, and the story progresses towards it.
Characters are pretty great. Some are kind, some are funny, some are honest, some are respectable, some are strong etc.
The objective to kill the demons is clear but I like how the main character still feels sympathy for killing them because they were once humans who were forced to become a demon.
There are small yet memorable moments here and there that I feel like are being neglected by many people just because of animation.
The fights are great and almost everyone gets a time to shine.
The power system (breathing techniques) are simple and well executed.
I also like the ranking system of Hashiras and the 12 demons (especially the upper six).
The later fights are epic.
And ofcourse the animation and Ost are brilliant.

I am only mentioning a few things that I like about the show. I dont want this to become a very long paragraph (it already has become though) so lets keep it till here.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Feb 26, 2022 12:00 PM
Jul 2018
Ufotable…… ya that’s basically why. Just go full monkey brain mode while watching
Feb 26, 2022 12:26 PM
Feb 2021
this is nothing special. there’s better shows out there.
Feb 26, 2022 1:47 PM
May 2014
Do you like swords? Do you like watching monsters getting chopped up by katanas? Because that’s the entirety of the show. It works for me because I’m a simple man who likes action, and the action in Demon Slayer really delivers. But if you’re not fan of action, monsters, and swords then skip it because that’s all the show is.
Feb 26, 2022 1:57 PM

Feb 2022
It’s a back to basics series, very simple, but in my experience refreshingly so.
More than just nice animations, the pacing and narrative structure are a masterclass for screenwriting nerds.

In many ways it’s like buying a pair of very well made leather shoes. The sign of their quality is that you barely notice them on your feet.
Artworks of very high quality don’t leave seams. And can be mistaken for being mediocre by the philistines of avant-garde (who need to feel initiated into the impenetrable mysteries of the ever changing new).
But if you like old stories, and want to see a series that gets the basics right. Then definitely give Demon Slayer a go.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Bad animation? ( 1 2 )

Leon888 - May 11

61 by Kyubey89 »»
Jun 10, 2:40 PM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2019

200 by satyrelfheim »»
Jun 8, 1:48 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 13, 2019

198 by satyrelfheim »»
Jun 8, 1:20 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 11, 2019

235 by Restault »»
Jun 6, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2019

274 by Restault »»
Jun 6, 6:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.