Do rankings matter to you?
Yes
27.6%
No
72.4%
891 votes
Aug 24, 2021 6:39 PM
Aug 2021
Please be honest and refrain from arguing about scoring so that this discussion does not get removed.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 24, 2021 6:43 PM

Jan 2020
no. It might be nice every now and then seeing a series you like be high but there's other things on earth that are more important.

Aug 24, 2021 6:51 PM
Mar 2021
ManWild said:
no. It might be nice every now and then seeing a series you like be high but there's other things on earth that are more important.

This right here is the perfect answer
Aug 24, 2021 6:51 PM

Jan 2021
It doesn't effect how i rate the series it just makes me expect the best from it if its one of the highest rated animes
Aug 24, 2021 6:52 PM
Oct 2020
No it doesn't but the unnecessary threads people have been making does you know who I'm talking about
Aug 24, 2021 6:56 PM
Dec 2018
The most I take from rankings are when I'm looking for shows within a genre and will look at high ranking ones that interest me
Aug 24, 2021 7:00 PM

Jan 2021
I think they should be removed because there are a lot of underrated anime that has a lower score and there are a lot of people that only watch the best ranked anime
"Human potential for evolution is limitless. Steel Ball Run is not peak fiction it's beyond fiction and possibly even the pinnacle of human literature, an amalgamation of all the masterpieces "
-The Ruler of this universe
Aug 24, 2021 7:07 PM
May 2021
Honestly rankings doesn’t matter to me after all it is the enjoyment of the anime and what I like about it. That is why rankings doesn’t affect me it is your own opinion!!
Aug 24, 2021 7:10 PM
Nov 2020
Aug 24, 2021 7:14 PM

Aug 2021
Doesn't matter to me as long as FMAB is 1st.
Imagine how boring this world would have been without Japan
Aug 24, 2021 7:19 PM

May 2021
Rankings don't matter to me at all because I'm not a child
Avatar: The Last Airbender is an anime
Aug 24, 2021 7:23 PM

Aug 2020
Everyone would want their favorite animes to get more recognition and appreciation but if people are going to childishly try to manipulate score then I wouldn't bother caring
Aug 24, 2021 7:25 PM
Nov 2016
The rankings of an anime are subjective so I don't trust it one bit so no, it doesn't matter to me, I have watched plenty of animes with a ranking of 7/10 which is better than FMAB.

The thing I dislike though is seeing a high rank on an anime I consider to be garbage like FMAB, seeing this crap in #1 really boosted my expectations on it and once I finished it and saw how bad and overrated this garbage is then I realized I can no longer trust the ratings in MAL, that's ok though, not everyone will like the same things you do.
Aug 24, 2021 7:31 PM

Feb 2021
It doesn't matter to me as long as FMAB is still in #1. Except for the other best ones to come like Oyasumi Punpun and Steel Ball Run or any of my other favourites, unlike Gintama, AOT, Fruits Basket etc
Aug 24, 2021 7:32 PM

May 2015
No, I only ever see the ranking when I start or finish watching something and maybe occasionally later on. Why should it have any lasting impact at all? What matters are the overall emotions and impressions that stay with you, which are personal. Statistics is something that can be interesting but it's just a representation of other people's opinions and only a small group's at that. You know, life doesn't revolve around this site only or any other sites where scores can be drastically different from here. To obsess over something like that... well, some people probably have lots of time on their hands.
Aug 24, 2021 7:34 PM
Mar 2021
Honestly I couldn’t care less ab the rankings, there’s more to MAL than rankings
Aug 24, 2021 7:41 PM

Aug 2019
Fuck no, if that was the case I wouldn't even be here.
The rankings are awful, they've always been.

It's just fanboys spamming 10s for the most popular shows while the lesser known shows never get a chance to shine.
Aug 24, 2021 7:51 PM

Oct 2018
"Do rankings matter to you?"

Mal users: No...
Other MAL users and fanboys: No. As long as FMAB is still #1.

Yeah. You made yourself a clown🤡

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Aug 24, 2021 7:58 PM
Jan 2021
If something is ranked real bad then I might not watch it, but I don't care where things actually are, that's just for starting them.
And even for starting a show I don't care about the rank. As long as it doesn't have like below 6 average
Aug 24, 2021 8:02 PM
Feb 2021
Not really.I watch anime for the fun of it.Some,my friends recommend.Others,I discover on my own.I critique and enjoy it in my own way.I don't have to make it other's problem.In the end,it's just media content that we choose to watch and consume enthusiastically
Aug 24, 2021 8:04 PM
Jan 2021
Kinda no kinda yes , i really wanna see my favourite anime on top but if it's not then idc there are shit tonne of other things to do in life too
Aug 24, 2021 8:19 PM
Mar 2021
AiNoMukidashi said:
Fuck no, if that was the case I wouldn't even be here.
The rankings are awful, they've always been.

It's just fanboys spamming 10s for the most popular shows while the lesser known shows never get a chance to shine.

How true is this! You're damn right.
Aug 24, 2021 8:27 PM
Jul 2018
Hey everyone look,

As long as it's popular you have to listen to the Majority Opinion

You can't be like Talibans go around saying you're not a Real Muslim
In this case here Elitists say you're not a True Anime Fan
Aug 24, 2021 8:39 PM
May 2021
xZabuzax said:
The rankings of an anime are subjective so I don't trust it one bit so no, it doesn't matter to me, I have watched plenty of animes with a ranking of 7/10 which is better than FMAB.

The thing I dislike though is seeing a high rank on an anime I consider to be garbage like FMAB, seeing this crap in #1 really boosted my expectations on it and once I finished it and saw how bad and overrated this garbage is then I realized I can no longer trust the ratings in MAL, that's ok though, not everyone will like the same things you do.
same people who flip there shit calling fmab fans toxic everyone.
Aug 24, 2021 8:45 PM

Jan 2021
Not really. I'll still watch it even if it ranks below 7 or 6.
Aug 24, 2021 8:49 PM
Jul 2021
no, i just check to see if the anime has some good reviews or nice stuff written about it
Aug 24, 2021 9:02 PM
Jun 2021
No. I don't usually agree with anime ranking as there are a lot of underrated animes. Although there are some animes which deserve to have high ranking such as fmab, aot, monogatari etc. But still I think there are many animes which have high rankings but are not good
Aug 24, 2021 9:06 PM
Apr 2019
Yes. Imagine best manga ever berserk or best tv series ever breaking bad had ratings of lets say 6 or 7/10 not that many would be willing to read/watch it and personally i too wouldn't be interested in these so yes ratings does matter its a reason why these both series are no.1
Aug 24, 2021 9:29 PM

May 2020
Yes, for me personally, it does matter.

Let's consider a scenario, someone recommended you three anime, you can only watch one, so what will you do? most likely you will go to some review websites like MAL or Anilist and read the reviews or see the ratings, and you will most definitely be more inclined towards the higher-rated one.

It's true that there are some really good anime with lower-ranking and some not so good with higher ranking, but I'm not gonna say that the whole ranking system sucks because of that. Just because I think that a certain anime is ranked higher than it should doesn't mean that everyone else feels the same way. There are many people who liked it and that's why it's rated higher. And the majority of the people rate an anime based on its enjoyability and their preference, if someone thinks that let's say Demon slayer is a masterpiece, then I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it's their opinion.

The problem is not with the ranking system, it's with some people who just cannot accept the fact that everyone has different tastes
Mayora_oji13Aug 24, 2021 9:36 PM

"I'd rather my heart stopped than lose what's most important to me.
Even when I'm old and my spine is bent...my soul's got to be straight." - Gintoki

Aug 24, 2021 9:47 PM

Jun 2020
Rankings don't matter to me but I love the entertainment that comes with all the score threads.
HUNTER X HUNTER HAS RETURNED!!!!!!!
Aug 24, 2021 10:44 PM

Jan 2021
the only time it bothers me is when I might miss out on something really good because it got buried due to bad scores. That's it.
Aug 24, 2021 11:03 PM
Jun 2021
Absolutely not. Especially not in MAL, since most of the ratings are based on opinions and preferences and not actual facts. And moreover there's a huge amount of series here that are either overrated or underrated. Not saying that a certain series only deserves a certain amount of love and respect, but looking at it from a different perspective makes it seem like it can't be taken seriously.
For example:-
Overrated- Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen
Underrated- Naruto and Naruto Shippuden
Aug 25, 2021 12:03 AM
Jul 2021
Yes and no. I want to make sure I won't waste my time so I'll avoid anything lower than 7.5. But I don't care much if a show is ranked high, like FMA:B. It's a great show, but it's only #1 because of gatekeeping fanboys.
Aug 25, 2021 12:06 AM
Jun 2021
Nope. Mal rankings are bs anyways so idrc care about rankings. Anime likings are strictly based on personal preferences. So yeah that my point of view
Aug 25, 2021 12:59 AM

Jul 2019
I like rankings

I hate score manipulation and fake rankings
Aug 25, 2021 3:49 AM
May 2019
Nope, cuz MAL's community is shit, unfortunately...
Aug 25, 2021 3:51 AM

Oct 2017
Nobody was arguing on the first few days Gintama was in #1, and I never saw forum posts as extreme as it were with anything else, and in fact, I think that those scores are actually okay. The only issue I see is with sequels counting towards the ranking. IMO Gintama: The Final should keep its score, but its ranked score should be its overall score with the entire series included, excluding things like 5-min specials, spin-offs or remakes. It bloats a lot of the top 25 with almost half of it being Gintama, so it'd still fare with a connected score.
Aug 25, 2021 3:52 AM
Aug 2020
Yes, because if a series is really good, I want to find out about it. I might’ve never watched the likes of Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju or Legend of the Galactic Heroes if they weren’t ranked so highly.
Aug 25, 2021 4:07 AM
Jan 2021
As much as I like FMA and Gintama and think that movie deserves that spot, honestly, the ranking isn’t what matters. It’s what the series truly means to you on you own list. But if we end up talking about ratings. I don’t think this would deserve #1. Still top 10 but after the fanbase (immature side) has review bombed many series that overcame that greatness with its own. Does it really deserve that spot? Either way, it won’t change the fact I love both shows.
Aug 25, 2021 4:26 AM

Aug 2020
If the answer is yes, it's time to go outside...

Aug 25, 2021 5:30 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
Paja03 said:
I think they should be removed because there are a lot of underrated anime that has a lower score and there are a lot of people that only watch the best ranked anime

I get what you mean but equally that's the value of ranking, if you watch something unheard of and love it, your personal high rank let's other people know you think it's worth giving a try😎👍. That's the benefit as I see it atleast.

Bababazooka69 said:
Yes. Imagine best manga ever berserk or best tv series ever breaking bad had ratings of lets say 6 or 7/10 not that many would be willing to read/watch it and personally i too wouldn't be interested in these so yes ratings does matter its a reason why these both series are no.1
Solace546 said:
If something is ranked real bad then I might not watch it, but I don't care where things actually are, that's just for starting them.
And even for starting a show I don't care about the rank. As long as it doesn't have like below 6 average
HakeemP said:
Rankings don't matter to me at all because I'm not a child
Naggario said:
It doesn't effect how i rate the series it just makes me expect the best from it if its one of the highest rated animes
xZabuzax said:

The issue as I personally see it with Mal rankings is the way people take then so seriously, anime is more fun when your willing to try anything that interests you but equally you should never judge a show because of hype or the popular opinion. Take each show on its own merits and try not to worry about ranks so much. They should be used as a tool sure but a subjective one ruled by popular opinion, not something to slave over👍.
Aug 25, 2021 6:55 AM
Dec 2017
If you say yes then its time to go touch some grass and dirt.

Aug 25, 2021 7:13 AM
Mar 2021
I watched FMAB specifically because it was number 1 and I don’t think I’d have seen it otherwise, so in a way rankings matter, but if it wasn’t number 1 I would have enjoyed it more because I wouldn’t have had such high expectations.
Aug 25, 2021 7:26 AM
Jun 2021
No.I don't really care about ratings if it's below 4 or 5 if it's above,I just click play.
Aug 25, 2021 8:20 AM

May 2021
Aerosmith224 said:
Hey everyone look,

Dude your account is literally the most elitist shit I've ever seen. You tried to use bots to get a guy's account permabanned because he said Attack on Titan was a better manga than Berserk
HakeemPAug 25, 2021 11:26 AM
Aug 25, 2021 8:23 AM
Jul 2018
HakeemP said:
Aerosmith224 said:
Hey everyone look,

Dude your account is literally the most elitist shit I've ever seen you tried to use bots to get a guy's account permabanned because he said Attack on Titan was a better manga than Berserk

Nope I am just angry against both of them
I am just doing this in self defence because imagine a Tiger getting challenged by a Small dog

Secondly, Ratings do matter the Top 20 Anime are always better than those in Top 50
Aug 25, 2021 8:25 AM

May 2021
Aerosmith224 said:
HakeemP said:
Dude your account is literally the most elitist shit I've ever seen you tried to use bots to get a guy's account permabanned because he said Attack on Titan was a better manga than Berserk

I am just doing this in self defence because imagine a Tiger getting challenged by a Small dog

Secondly, Ratings do matter the Top 20 Anime are always better than those in Top 50
"doing it in self defense" do you have any idea how fucking stupid you sound
Aug 25, 2021 8:28 AM
Jul 2018
HakeemP said:
Aerosmith224 said:

Imagine being a Dragon then some Lizard challenges you to a Fight

How would you react?
Aug 25, 2021 8:30 AM

May 2021
Aerosmith224 said:
HakeemP said:

Imagine being a Dragon then some Lizard challenges you to a Fight

How would you react?
WOW you are totally unaware of how fucking stupid you sound
Aug 25, 2021 8:51 AM
Apr 2019
I like rankings especially when people argue about them

Rankings kinda matter because when you watch an anime that scored a six, i would drop it or give it a low score (at least for me)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

978 by balzaa »»
Jun 11, 5:45 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 56 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DeviantKaos - May 9, 2010

208 by Ronin_4011 »»
Jun 2, 11:58 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DeviantKaos - May 2, 2010

232 by Ronin_4011 »»
Jun 2, 11:33 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 45 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 21, 2010

178 by DryAmeer »»
Jun 2, 5:24 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 46 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Feb 28, 2010

216 by Ronin_4011 »»
Jun 2, 3:07 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.