Forum Settings
Forums

Userscripts for displaying Japanese/English titles

New
Mar 4, 2013 7:55 PM

Apr 2011
EDIT:

See my profile ("Userscripts for MAL" section) for all my userscripts.

----------------------
Original Post Below
----------------------

Japanese Titles for MAL

Before:

After:

Check out the link above for more information on the script.

By the way, I've considered the possibility of making a similar script for displaying (licensed) English title instead of main title. But the fact that the (licensed) English title can be any of the synonyms (e.g. Angel Tales) makes it difficult to correctly extract the (licensed) English title.
zanetuApr 10, 2014 1:56 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 4, 2013 11:27 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Very nice script.

As for an anime's English title, it should be in the English field of the anime entry. Entries that do not have it there need to be edited and corrected.

English Title:
Only one of the following official titles, listed by precedence where all three titles exist:
- English distribution title (can also be/contain pieces of the romanized title);
- English streaming title (e.g. Crunchyroll title);
- English version of the title, as it appears in the official logo or on the official Japanese website (urls don't count).
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 5, 2013 4:10 AM

Apr 2011
Naruleach said:
Very nice script.

As for an anime's English title, it should be in the English field of the anime entry. Entries that do not have it there need to be edited and corrected.

English Title:
Only one of the following official titles, listed by precedence where all three titles exist:
- English distribution title (can also be/contain pieces of the romanized title);
- English streaming title (e.g. Crunchyroll title);
- English version of the title, as it appears in the official logo or on the official Japanese website (urls don't count).

(Non-romaji) English Titles for MAL
Hope it helps.
It takes around 10 seconds to load a 1000-entry list on my laptop by the way.
Mar 5, 2013 4:42 AM
Dec 2011
Love it. Thanks a lot.^__^
Mar 5, 2013 7:35 AM
Jan 2011
Thanks for this.

Although, for me, the English non-cache version works fine, but I can't seem to get the English dropbox version to work. I can still access dropbox directly though; any idea what might be going on?
SilatricaMar 5, 2013 8:18 AM
Mar 5, 2013 2:04 PM

Dec 2009
So... the English title one just replaces the titles of the links, doesn't it? Same thing as FoxReplace? It doesn't re-alphabetize one's anime list by the English titles or change the titles on the series information pages?
Mar 5, 2013 2:09 PM

Aug 2010
The normal, cache version of Japanese titles does not work properly for me. Non-cache works.

I can access dropbox properly.

You might want to know that the link to the no-cache version from your main script's page seems to go an admin page. I found the no-cache version by changing the URL to script ID 160832 manually.

Thanks for this script!
ζ*'ヮ')ζ<うぅうー!
Mar 6, 2013 11:23 PM

Apr 2011
Articalys said:
Thanks for this.

Although, for me, the English non-cache version works fine, but I can't seem to get the English dropbox version to work. I can still access dropbox directly though; any idea what might be going on?

Try installing the dropbox script again. I believe I've fixed that. All scripts should work with Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey/ViolentMonkey now.
Mar 6, 2013 11:41 PM

Apr 2011
XTApocalypse said:
So... the English title one just replaces the titles of the links, doesn't it? Same thing as FoxReplace? It doesn't re-alphabetize one's anime list by the English titles or change the titles on the series information pages?

I do not use FoxReplace but I guess it requires the user to establish substitution list manually, doesn't it? With my script you do not need to input any text manually.

Well, here is the re-alphabetize version of the script. Since it performs (CPU-intensive) sorting only after all entries have been retrieved, you have to wait for a longer time for the display to change, esp. when it comes to long lists with a lot of cache misses. (Lists on second visit might be loaded remarkably faster though.) As for the titles on the series information pages, I don't feel it necessary to replace anything as the English title,if present, is displayed on the same web page as the romaji one. Implementing such a replacement would not be difficult, though. (i.e. swapping two text strings on the same page)
zanetuMar 7, 2013 11:27 AM
Mar 7, 2013 4:20 PM

Nov 2011
The English title replacement script is really nice! I love how you can alphabetise it, too! This is probably asking too much, but is there any way to use the alphabetised version for the default list (which is sorted by name), but the non-alphabetised version for the list sorted any other way (such as by score)? Otherwise, it will sort my titles in alphabetical order no matter what. If it can't be done, it's no big deal - I'll definitely still use the script!
Mar 7, 2013 7:12 PM

Apr 2011
TotalPotato said:
The English title replacement script is really nice! I love how you can alphabetise it, too! This is probably asking too much, but is there any way to use the alphabetised version for the default list (which is sorted by name), but the non-alphabetised version for the list sorted any other way (such as by score)? Otherwise, it will sort my titles in alphabetical order no matter what. If it can't be done, it's no big deal - I'll definitely still use the script!

Makes sense. Implemented. Please try installing the script once again.
Mar 8, 2013 3:42 AM

Nov 2011
zanetu said:
TotalPotato said:

Makes sense. Implemented. Please try installing the script once again.

Thank you!
Mar 8, 2013 5:08 AM

Dec 2010
Cool, thanks!

Now how about an option to have the default title in brackets behind the replacement? :)
Mar 8, 2013 10:58 AM

Apr 2011
nznz said:
Cool, thanks!

Now how about an option to have the default title in brackets behind the replacement? :)

Sorry but I don't consider it a good idea. Firstly, the "Sorted English Titles" script is intended to facilitate reading English words for users who dislike romaji titles. Appending romaji text would probably defeat the original intention. Secondly, displaying two titles at once would, in all likelihood, result in two lines for each entry and considerably lengthen the web page.
Mar 8, 2013 6:37 PM

May 2009
Quite useful.

Can I request? MAL does the hover on title that says 'Anime Info'. Can you use the English title instead in the info bubble? It'd help a lot of users who have trouble remembering titles in Japanese when they're used to the English titles.

Thanks a whole bunch.
Mar 8, 2013 11:46 PM

Oct 2009
wait... all this time on MAL I never know they allowed script O.O
This is great!
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Mar 9, 2013 12:57 AM
Mar 2013
Very nice script.
Mar 9, 2013 6:09 PM

Apr 2011
TsukikageRan said:
Quite useful.

Can I request? MAL does the hover on title that says 'Anime Info'. Can you use the English title instead in the info bubble? It'd help a lot of users who have trouble remembering titles in Japanese when they're used to the English titles.

Thanks a whole bunch.

Done. Hovering English Titles for MAL
I don't think it would be very useful, though.
Mar 9, 2013 9:10 PM

May 2009
Sorry, zanetu. I'm feeling stupid here. I guess I wasn't that clear in my request.

In a user's personal list, if you hover over the title, it will say "Anime Information.'

Instead of 'Anime Information' can you substitute the English/Official title instead?
'Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon' - when you hover, it becomes 'Sailor Moon'.
'Tsumiki no Ie' on hover will reveal 'La Maison en Petits Cubes.'

Thanks, thanks, thanks!
Mar 10, 2013 5:16 AM

Feb 2011
TsukikageRan said:
Sorry, zanetu. I'm feeling stupid here. I guess I wasn't that clear in my request.

In a user's personal list, if you hover over the title, it will say "Anime Information.'

Instead of 'Anime Information' can you substitute the English/Official title instead?

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Tsukikage means to replace the title attribute of anime name anchor tags on user lists, if he wasn't clear enough.
Mar 11, 2013 6:19 AM

Apr 2011
TsukikageRan said:

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Updated. Install the script again.

Mar 11, 2013 6:23 AM

Apr 2011
dperolio said:
TsukikageRan said:

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Tsukikage means to replace the title attribute of anime name anchor tags on user lists, if he wasn't clear enough.

After thinking for a while I decided to implement something more useful. See the updated script page.
Mar 11, 2013 7:47 AM

Feb 2011
zanetu said:
dperolio said:
TsukikageRan said:

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

After thinking for a while I decided to implement something more useful. See the updated script page.

Don't look at me, I don't use userscripts or styles. :p Just helping to translate what he meant for you. Keep up the good work though.
Mar 11, 2013 9:54 AM

May 2009
Ahh. That helps a lot.

One happy bunny here.

Cheers!
Mar 12, 2013 4:55 AM
Jan 2011
Didn't have a chance to check back to this thread again for a while; all the new scripts work great! Thanks!
SilatricaMar 12, 2013 5:02 AM
Mar 13, 2013 1:24 AM

Apr 2011
Another Japanese script:
Japanese Links for MAL
Basically it's a combination of Japanese Titles for MAL" and Hovering English Titles for MAL.
zanetuMar 13, 2013 1:28 AM
Mar 16, 2013 1:44 PM

Nov 2011
Some English titles on MAL have recently been changed, but my list still has the old English titles. How can I fix this? (Removing and re-installing doesn't work)
Mar 16, 2013 8:13 PM

Apr 2011
TotalPotato said:
Some English titles on MAL have recently been changed, but my list still has the old English titles. How can I fix this? (Removing and re-installing doesn't work)

Which script are you referring to?
Please be aware that out-dated English titles can't be fixed when it comes to scripts that use dropbox as cache. For those who want up-to-date titles please consider using the (much slower) non-cache version rather than the dropbox one. (There are scripts that don't have non-cache counterparts but I would write one upon request.)
Mar 17, 2013 3:23 AM

Nov 2007
I like the look of the list in your first post very much.

Unrelated, but lol @ one of my posts being used as an example of Hovering English Titles for MAL.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 17, 2013 4:22 AM

Nov 2011
zanetu said:
TotalPotato said:

Please be aware that out-dated English titles can't be fixed when it comes to scripts that use dropbox as cache. For those who want up-to-date titles please consider using the (much slower) non-cache version rather than the dropbox one. (There are scripts that don't have non-cache counterparts but I would write one upon request.)

Oh, I see. In that case, could you please write a non-cache version of the alphabetised English title sorter?
Mar 17, 2013 1:03 PM

Apr 2011
tsubasalover said:
I like the look of the list in your first post very much.

Unrelated, but lol @ one of my posts being used as an example of Hovering English Titles for MAL.

lol
I only chose from threads I frequent, i.e. modification request threads. And your post happened to contain an English title that spans more than one line, which is a good example showing my script does not truncate any English title.
zanetuMar 17, 2013 5:49 PM
Mar 17, 2013 1:06 PM

Apr 2011
TotalPotato said:
zanetu said:
TotalPotato said:

Oh, I see. In that case, could you please write a non-cache version of the alphabetised English title sorter?

Done. Sorted English Titles for MAL (No Cache).
Mar 18, 2013 3:02 PM

Nov 2011
zanetu said:
TotalPotato said:
zanetu said:
TotalPotato said:

Done. Sorted English Titles for MAL (No Cache).

Thanks a lot! There is one teeny tiny issue with this script - titles with commas in them don't seem to have a space after the comma where there should be one (so I have Love,Chunibyo & Other Delusions on my list without a space between the comma and Chunibyo). This only affects two titles on my list, though.
Mar 18, 2013 7:20 PM

Apr 2011
TotalPotato said:

Thanks a lot! There is one teeny tiny issue with this script - titles with commas in them don't seem to have a space after the comma where there should be one (so I have Love,Chunibyo & Other Delusions on my list without a space between the comma and Chunibyo). This only affects two titles on my list, though.

It seems mal-api.com treats comma as a separator for different names. Anyway I believe it's fixed now. Try installing the script again.
Mar 20, 2013 5:54 PM

Nov 2011
zanetu said:
TotalPotato said:

It seems mal-api.com treats comma as a separator for different names. Anyway I believe it's fixed now. Try installing the script again.

Yep, it's fixed! Thanks again!
Mar 20, 2013 6:37 PM

Jan 2008
Did anyone else misread the thread title as 'Japanese titties'?
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 21, 2013 3:36 AM

May 2009
Beatnik said:
Did anyone else misread the thread title as 'Japanese titties'?

Hahaha. And that's why you dropped by - nice.
Mar 28, 2013 7:28 PM
Jan 2011
Hmm, the sorted English titles script (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/161255) isn't working for me any more, but the non-sorted one (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/160951) is fine. Any idea what might be going wrong?
Mar 28, 2013 10:00 PM

Apr 2011
Articalys said:
Hmm, the sorted English titles script (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/161255) isn't working for me any more, but the non-sorted one (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/160951) is fine. Any idea what might be going wrong?

It seems mal-api.com has been malfunctioning for a short period of time. It should be up and working now. What's more, I just modified the scripts a bit so that erroneous conditions of mal-api.com be ignored. Try installing the scripts again.
Mar 29, 2013 3:20 PM
Jan 2011
zanetu said:
It seems mal-api.com has been malfunctioning for a short period of time. It should be up and working now. What's more, I just modified the scripts a bit so that erroneous conditions of mal-api.com be ignored. Try installing the scripts again.

Working great now. Thanks!
Apr 3, 2013 1:11 PM

Jul 2011
zanetu said:
Another Japanese script:
Japanese Links for MAL

I want to install Japanese Links for MAL but Google Chrome doesn't let me, because of security stuff. Is there a way to bypass the security so that I can have Japanese on MAL?

btw, I am using Chrome because 1. I don't use Safari. 2. MAL freezes Firefox. 3. Firefox is slow in general on my computer.
and btw, I am using a macintosh, if this info helps at all.
minfremiApr 3, 2013 1:29 PM
*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・゜Σ(´∀`;)βακα..._φ(゚∀゚ )アヒャ・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

Apr 3, 2013 1:33 PM
Dec 2011
minfremi said:
zanetu said:
Another Japanese script:
Japanese Links for MAL

I want to install Japanese Links for MAL but Google Chrome doesn't let me, because of security stuff. Is there a way to bypass the security so that I can have Japanese on MAL?

btw, I am using Chrome because 1. I don't use Safari. 2. MAL freezes Firefox. 3. Firefox is slow in general on my computer.
and btw, I am using a macintosh, if this info helps at all.

Download Tampermonkey in the Chrome Web Store. It works for me.
Apr 3, 2013 2:13 PM

Jul 2011
jojovonjo said:

It's a bit slow, but thanks man!
minfremiApr 3, 2013 2:18 PM

Apr 3, 2013 2:17 PM

Jul 2011
jojovonjo said:

wait a minute.... would this work if I just copy and paste the script onto Stylish, because I already have it?

Apr 3, 2013 3:02 PM
Dec 2011
minfremi said:
jojovonjo said:

wait a minute.... would this work if I just copy and paste the script onto Stylish, because I already have it?

Don't know. never used it. Can't hurt to try. As for it being slow, it is a little bit slow anyway. It needs to load your list first, then translate.
Apr 3, 2013 3:12 PM

Apr 2011
minfremi said:
jojovonjo said:

No. Stylish uses CSS, not JavaScript.
Apr 17, 2013 4:26 PM

Nov 2011
I'm using the Sorted English Titles for MAL (No Cache) script, but Aku no Hana keeps its Japanese name in my list, even though it has an English title in its database entry. Any idea why?
Apr 17, 2013 7:59 PM

Apr 2011
TotalPotato said:
I'm using the Sorted English Titles for MAL (No Cache) script, but Aku no Hana keeps its Japanese name in my list, even though it has an English title in its database entry. Any idea why?

That's because that English title was just added. Mal-api.com does not work in a real-time fashion. Try the script 24 hours later and let me know if the issue persists.
Apr 18, 2013 6:42 PM

Nov 2011
Whaddya know, it shows up as Flowers of Evil now. Strange - I could have sworn the English title had been up for a few days. Oh well.
Aug 27, 2013 1:34 PM

Apr 2010
Right now, Cowboy Bebop, which is #20 on my non-sorted list, gets listed as a blank spot and sorted at the top. That means no link to CB's anime page whatsoever, though everything else, such as the episodes and tags, etc. all show up fine. I believe this is happening because it doesn't have an English title listed...just thought I'd let you know in case you need to tweak it.

EDIT: I suppose I should also note that Getter Robo Armageddon gets changed to "Change!! True Getter Robo - The Final Days of the World", because for some inexplicable reason someone put that down as an English title, even though Getter Robo Armageddon IS the official English title...Not sure if you can do anything about that, though, since that's a problem on MAL's end.

...In fact, I've noticed a few shows having "synonyms" despite those being the official licensed english titles. I'll be contacting the staff about those, though.
mickeymac92Aug 27, 2013 2:01 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» @imports Pictures not loading correctly. Stopped working recently

ColFrogfoot - Yesterday

0 by ColFrogfoot »»
Yesterday, 10:27 AM

» Anime quiz website 2.0

Khoi369 - Jun 2

2 by FruitPunchBaka »»
Yesterday, 2:09 AM

Poll: » Do you think we will have robots with consciousness first or will we meet aliens first?

Absurdo_N - Jun 2

2 by zaako »»
Yesterday, 1:36 AM

» Hello creators! why don't you post your channels here?

mufarari - May 27

2 by _HaSSaaN_ »»
Jun 2, 1:17 AM

» share your amv! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Animetwins - May 5, 2015

1013 by _HaSSaaN_ »»
Jun 2, 1:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.