Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Aug 28, 2017 3:35 AM
Dec 2014
Kittens-kun said:
VladimirNabokov said:
What do you guys expect from MyAnimeList ratings? Lmao
All that matters here is how large the fanbase for a particular franchise is/how many fanbois/-girls it has that will rate the respective Anime with 8/10 or higher for no real reason.

You just can't accept the possibility that the "fanboys" ratings might just be legitimate?

Well if someone really thinks Gintama is the best of 40 years of anime good for them. These are just popularity lists, like more people watched Hungergames than Apocalypse now but we all know which one is a classic.
Aug 28, 2017 3:39 AM
Dec 2014
Strawberrycake48 said:
I just think it's because the way people consume anime is different now than it used to be. Fans of any medium have to be adaptable as does the medium itself, and with so much anime coming out each season people hype over an anime or two for a few months (or a few years if we push the boat out) and when the next fresh thing comes out, that'll probably make it into the top 10 for a while.
Rinse and repeat. Consumerism.

The audience is fickle and the anime is shorter (for the most part).

It's pretty rare that any of these newer series "stick" like the older ones and that's reflective in MAL's "top anime" rankings. Soon enough, at least 5 of that top 20 will likely be different anime- probably ones that air in the coming seasons/years.

If Haikyuu doesn't get a season 4 soon, I can see it dropping lower because the hype will slowly die- it's been a while and people are quick to get disenchanted (all it takes is removing it from your favorites and editing the score after a second thought or some new competition). I'd also expect another Gintama season infiltrating the top 10 bc of its new season fast approaching.

Stuff like HxH, LOGH, Clannad & FMAB aren't going far though I'd say XD

Anyway, whilst the list itself probably isn't reflective of the best or even the most popular anime, I'd say it's definitely reflective of the fans' habits.

Insightful and exactly what I was trying to say.
Aug 28, 2017 5:21 AM
Jun 2017
As long as MAL let's people rate shows whenever and however they want, the ratings are stay wacky.

There's to many people that rate a show based off 1 episode or even before the first episode (as seen with Violet Evergarden). Look at Owarimonogatari SS, it's got 7 episodes and was number 1 by the time the first subs where airing. The fact that a brand new series can jump-up on the charts that fast is insane.
Aug 28, 2017 5:25 AM

Feb 2013
Kuraokani said:
As long as MAL let's people rate shows whenever and however they want, the ratings are stay wacky.

There's to many people that rate a show based off 1 episode or even before the first episode (as seen with Violet Evergarden). Look at Owarimonogatari SS, it's got 7 episodes and was number 1 by the time the first subs where airing. The fact that a brand new series can jump-up on the charts that fast is insane.
yes.. we need a secret service to shadowban people who misuse ratings
Aug 28, 2017 5:34 AM
Jun 2017
romagia said:
Kuraokani said:

yes.. we need a secret service to shadowban people who misuse ratings
That's fairly excessive. I would say that placing restrictions on the rating system is a better path to having a more accurate list.

Though, if MALs secret service is anything like their mods, this site would quickly become a cartoon rating site rather than a anime one. I wouldn't mind that though, Avatar should be in the top 100 for sure.
Aug 28, 2017 5:47 AM
Jan 2017
So,why is Kimi no Na wa that overrated?
I watched 30 minutes of it(unfortunately) and I can say that I've never felt as bored as I felt while watching Kimi no Na wa...why is anyone hyped of it ?
Then,I told myself that I'll never "listen" to the top of MAL.I am watching anime of 2 years,I think...it's not much.
Referring to what some said above,yes,new people who watches anime could be influenced by the top 10/20 and this is a bad thing.
KarimEdwardAug 28, 2017 5:53 AM
Sep 2, 2017 6:11 PM

Nov 2016
With FAB ranked #1 now, I feel sad.

You said:
Of course they are a joke. Plebes with shit taste are everywhere afterall. Madoka should be #1

Madoka is ranked at #107 with ~8.50
Can we explain this catastrophe of human taste scientifically?
Sep 2, 2017 6:30 PM

Jul 2013
"Lately" lol

Anything under 200 is likely to be trash
Sep 2, 2017 6:33 PM

Nov 2012
OP did you not give Koe no Katachi a 10 yourself?
I partly agree with you tho, Kimi no Na wa is good but just not deep enough, seriously thinking people are going a just a bit to much with the hype considering this work. On the other hand i understand why people are so positive about it, very very nice art for example and maybe it is just that kind of anime that falls in taste these generation. Same goes for Haikyuu and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, not special enough to earn this place imo.
Owarimonogatari 2nd S is certainly not deserverd, also not bad but it is just there becouse of the final to the series.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Can I have the losing girl?

BerriesSan - Sep 19

16 by deg »»
12 minutes ago

» How I started a fight. By saying let's fight Naruto is Goat!

Ken__Kaneki__Kun - Sep 19

10 by deg »»
15 minutes ago

» What seasonal anime had disappointed you over time this season?

Zakatsuki_ - 2 hours ago

29 by kutuya »»
16 minutes ago

» 🌸Anime Spring 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 5

186 by perseii »»
20 minutes ago

» Did Shikanoko save comedy anime?

Catalano - Yesterday

30 by deltahalo241 »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.