Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 18, 2013 6:12 PM

Mar 2008
Please post anime and manga that deals positively with LGBT issues and characters here. Thanks ^.^
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 19, 2013 4:58 AM
Mar 2012
Off the top of my head:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/6164/Aoi_Hana

http://myanimelist.net/anime/6203/Sasameki_Koto

Both slice of life anime with lesbian Main Characters, some drama, some comedy.

I see Wandering Son (hourou musuko) has already been added.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/18465/Genshiken_Nidaime

Second season of Genshiken, features a cross-dressing, maybe transgender Character. It's complicated.....
Dec 28, 2013 11:44 AM

Mar 2008
Thanks! I've added them all to our anime and manga associations.
Dec 29, 2013 5:22 AM
Mar 2012
Great :)
Jan 22, 2014 10:53 AM

Mar 2012
Neon Genesis Evangelion has an arguably gay supporting character (Kaworu), who flirts with the protagonist (Shinji).
Mar 10, 2014 1:36 PM
Mar 2012
I've added some more anime to the list and I'm wondering; should we add the comedy and ecchi stuff?
Mar 10, 2014 8:54 PM

Mar 2008
Speaking of Evangelion, I heard that someone asked the creator of that series about Shinji's sexuality and apparently he's bi. I would say don't add it though. His sexuality isn't a big part of the series and doesn't serve to raise awareness of the issues concerning LGBT people. That's just my opinion though ^.^

I don't know about the comedy and ecchi stuff. I say it's okay as long as they aren't making fun of LGBT people.
Mar 10, 2014 9:49 PM

Mar 2014
I just finished watching Hourou Musuko.
that makes me forget about my hormonal therapy that is messing up with my head ;-;

that was just... so inocent. made me remember my childhood ._.
*cries*
Mar 11, 2014 7:16 AM
Mar 2012
Gotcha, Clara ;)

Mimichan: Wandering son truly is one of the best LGBT-anime ever! :)
how did you like it?
Mar 12, 2014 5:50 PM

Mar 2014
very deep question XD
I'd love to answer.

I'll do that once I get home @_@ (at college right now)
Mar 13, 2014 1:34 PM
Mar 2012
Sure :)
Mar 17, 2014 10:36 PM

Mar 2014
@Kaalings

It took me a week to answer; (Okay, I admit. I forgot it XD)

About Hourou Musuko:
I started crosdressing at 7 years, without even understanding what I was doing. It was extremely innocent, by just looking at the mirror and having dificulties to spot who I was. In this point, Wandering Son was one of the animes I most identified.

The soft-emotional plot was perfect for me. Despite the perfect soundtrack/animation with soft colors.

The realistic way to approach the subject was my criteria to put it on my favourite list.

And you?
Mar 18, 2014 1:07 AM

May 2009
...I couldn't think of an anime/manga to recommend off the top of my head but... I found the Thai movie Beautiful Boxer pretty inspiring. It is about a mtf ladyboy.
Mar 18, 2014 7:06 AM
Mar 2012
That's okay, Milena :P

I think it's one of the most realistic lgbt anime, even though it's very innocent, it still manages to convey the struggles and the more dramatic stuff. It's really a sweet story and, as Clara said, it's nice that it's more upbeat and not so dark and depressing.

I haven't really come across another anime quite like wandering son, so i think it's really special :)
Mar 18, 2014 7:19 AM
Mar 2012
@Caeca:

I love that movie!! it's so beautifully made and well acted AND it's a true story :)

very inspiring indeed and one of my favorites! :)
Mar 21, 2014 6:57 AM

Mar 2014
@Caeca/kaalings: I'll watch it on this weekend. I'll tell my opinion later.

I'm up for some drama (anime/manga). Can anyone indicate me some?
Mar 29, 2014 4:14 PM
Nov 2013
The only one i can provide that hasn't been mentioned is Sekaiichi Hatsukoi

http://myanimelist.net/anime/9926/Sekaiichi_Hatsukoi

@mimichan: hmm as for drama though i think i would recommend Clannad and Clannad:after story (Clannad mostly focuses on comedy but After Story is where the real drama is) and Anohana. I literally cried so much at After Story and Anohana that i had to keep a box of tissue next to me. In my opinion Clannad:After Story had the happiest ending i have ever seen.
Mar 31, 2014 7:23 PM
Jan 2014
i dunno if anybody has already posted mirai nikki, but it has two openly gay characters, and them being gay isnt their defining trait. they arent completely useless side characters, and actually play a major role in the plot quite often! nobody ever acts like them being into the same sex is weird, either. i highly recommend it! im gonna warn you though, theres a lot of blood and gore, so if you arent into that, you should stay away from mirai nikki completely.
Apr 1, 2014 12:57 PM

Mar 2008
I've heard a lot of praise for Mirai Nikki but haven't seen it yet. Now that you mention this though, I'll have to move it up my list. I'll plan to start it tonight. Thanks ^.^
Apr 6, 2014 10:23 PM

Mar 2014
OMG, I've already watched Clannad - after story. That was the definition of SADNESS, lol.

Since I got rejected last week, I will pass the drama stuff for a few days. ;-;
Apr 7, 2014 5:40 AM
Mar 2012
I haven't finished "after story" yet, but i was stupid enough to watch the Clannad movie way before i even started watching the anime, so i guess i have a feeling of what's gonna happen :(
Apr 11, 2014 7:04 PM
Nov 2013
I watched Clannad like a couple of months ago and I still cry when I see the sad scenes
Sep 7, 2014 9:05 PM

May 2009
Family Compo has the overarching moral that love should transcend gender. It's about a guy who moves in with a family, and while he's there, he tries to find out which sex his cousin is. The gender roles of the uncle and aunt are flipped, too.
Sep 8, 2014 12:11 PM

Mar 2008
I loooove F.Comp!! But I don't know if I agree that his aunt and uncle's "gender roles" are flipped. They're both trans and their roles are in line with their gender. If their gender roles were flipped, then his aunt would act "manly" and his uncle would act "feminine", but that isn't the case. His cousin is definitely genderfluid though.
Sep 8, 2014 12:22 PM

May 2009
Good point. I was going by sex rather than gender - perhaps I'm too used to the policies of my club (since it's sometimes hard to be sure if a character is trans, I just went by sex instead).
Sep 17, 2014 1:48 PM
Nov 2013
Bokura no Hentai has gotten really trans friendly and I think it's better than Hourou Musuko now.

http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=41973
Sep 17, 2014 10:52 PM

Mar 2008
Oooh, that actually looks really good! I hope it gets translated in English some day!
Oct 6, 2014 2:58 AM
Nov 2013
http://myanimelist.net/manga/43415/Himegoto:_Juukyuusai_no_Seifuku

Heres another Manga that deals with Gender Identity
Nov 6, 2014 2:51 PM

Aug 2010
The main character is transmale. There is also a gay cop character.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/41709/Yuureitou
Feb 9, 2015 11:34 PM
Jan 2015
I think Fake is a pretty good OVA. It's about two cops who find themselves in a "murder mystery" situation. I think it actually has real romance in the Yaoi, not just waiting around for a sex scene.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/365/Fake

And I think Simoun is a great great sci-fi fantasy (something) yuri anime. I think it does a great job on incorporating themes of religion, military rule/ war, love, politics, gender roles (sorta kinda), and I am probably forgetting something.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/879/Simoun

OH and Blue drop (Anime) is nice and kinda sad....
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2964/Blue_Drop:_Tenshi-tachi_no_Gikyoku
NaviMidnaPhiFeb 9, 2015 11:41 PM
May 12, 2015 6:32 AM

May 2014
While Eden: It's an Endless World! doesn't focus on LGBT issues, but it does have homosexual (and also possibly coded trans) characters who're just as fleshed-out as any other characters in the series. I'm not exactly sure if I want to call it "friendly," as the representation may just be a product of realism, and the story is quite brutal to... well... almost everyone, and some characters do use slurs (at least, in the translation I read). It acknowledges that differences exist, and that different people can still be sympathetic characters and/or jerks. I'd recommend it if you have a strong stomach for violence and sex scenes. It doesn't focus on LGBT issues, but it raises awareness and it actually bothers to care.
Jun 29, 2015 11:58 AM

Feb 2014
One Piece anyone?

Bon-chan's development is amazing.
Jul 20, 2015 4:18 PM

Apr 2014
abreugus said:
One Piece anyone?

Bon-chan's development is amazing.

If One Piece qualifies for this then so does Gintama.

Though as a shounen comedy series it doesn't specifically focus on LGBTQ issues, the overarching theme is to accept yourself and everyone for who they are. There are a few episodes/arcs that focus on trans characters like Saigo (a warrior and owner of a transvestite/gay bar).

Kyubei, despite being called female pronouns in this bio, has been canonized as non-binary and has two arcs devoted to their character. The second one was a genderbend arc that aired in episodes 10-11 of the latest season.

This hasn't been confirmed yet, but IMO Katsura's character development is pretty interesting since he starts out as very dismissive of Saigo but learns to respect her and later shows up more and more often in drag.

A word of warning before you start this series: as much as I love and recommend it, the mangaka is a cishet male therefore certain issues are handled clumsily. It is not for those who are easily offended.
"Listen up, I don’t care what you punks do around the universe. But with this, my sword … anywhere it can reach, is part of my country! Asses who blunder in and violate my things … whether it be a Shogun, whether it be space pirates, whether it be a meteorite, I’ll destroy them!"
- Sakata Gintoki (Gintama)
Sep 9, 2015 11:24 AM

May 2014
Hmmm... Ok, well, I guess I'll ask here. It's the thread for whether a series is safe or not, so I guess this is valid... I'm currently getting emotionally torn up regarding how much pressure there is to read Wandering Son.
Both by how much praise it seems to get and how few manga deal with transgender issues.

But, well, I've also heard about some fairly offensive stuff sprinkled throughout the series, beyond the issues with pronouns and the ending. More specifically;

Now, I can only find a sprinkling of criticisms that touch on the issue, and I haven't read it personally so I have no way of verifying if any of these criticisms are valid. For all I know it was exaggerated and the character isn't supposed to be in the right. But I'm terrified that I'll get 2/3 of the way through this series only to get stabbed in the back, so I kinda need to hear the opinion of someone who's read through it. I kinda have thin skin when it comes to media, and I'm always terrified of making a wrong move.

EDIT: Nevermind, sorry, I'll just read it myself and find out. I was having a kinda rough moment about that when I posted. Now I just need to find time...
XanxiaSep 14, 2015 7:49 AM
Sep 28, 2015 7:24 PM

Apr 2014
I'm back lol

Nise x Koi Boyfriend is a really cute yaoi about a guy who thinks he's dating a girl but the girl is actually a crossdressing/nonbinary dmab "cool kid" from school. And they think the guy knows they're the same person when he actually doesn't so it leads to drama.

"Listen up, I don’t care what you punks do around the universe. But with this, my sword … anywhere it can reach, is part of my country! Asses who blunder in and violate my things … whether it be a Shogun, whether it be space pirates, whether it be a meteorite, I’ll destroy them!"
- Sakata Gintoki (Gintama)
Oct 11, 2015 7:31 AM
Jan 2011
No mention of No. 6? I found it quite substantial in both the sci-fi and relationship aspect. Doesn't involve sex, but has two male leads definitely in love with one another.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/10161/No.6
Oct 12, 2015 12:02 PM
Mar 2012
It's already in the anime relations ;)
Oct 27, 2015 1:31 PM

May 2013
NaviMidnaPhi said:
I think Fake is a pretty good OVA. It's about two cops who find themselves in a "murder mystery" situation. I think it actually has real romance in the Yaoi, not just waiting around for a sex scene.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/365/Fake

Ah, I recently bought the first couple volumes of FAKE in hardcopy. It's a pretty good manga, imo. As far as sexuality goes, it (or at least the official North American translation) is pretty good, identitywise. One of the leads is openly, explicitly bisexual - by explicit I mean he says, verbally, that he is bi, using the word bi. And the other lead grapples with his sexuality in a way that, you know, dubious romance aside, isn't terribly unrealistic - he's never really thought about being attracted to guys before, but he's not like Super Het Dude apart from that, and he's attracted to his partner, and he doesn't really want to think about it, and he's just confused. And he goes about his life.

There's a lot of typical yaoi noncon kissing and unwelcome pursuit and a lot of talk about how the questioning lead isn't safe around the bi lead (because he might seduce or assault him, without much of a line drawn between the two) and how gay sex would be like, a loss of purity, or a suffering for him somehow. Like there's a RISK of it.

The characters and storylines are quite fun to read, imo, and the relationship is engaging. It's a good buddy cop romance story. There are definitely problems, but it's a manga that I and a number of other queer people I know found very, God, you know that feeling when you just connect with something as a queer person, even if you don't really know yourself or what's going on yet? When something is just relevant or important or interesting to you and you don't really understand why but you pay a lot of attention anyway? I talk about that feeling a lot because I don't feel like I have the proper vocabulary to describe it and I hope talking about it will help me puzzle it out. Well, anyway, FAKE is definitely an experience to read, that's what I've got to say.

If you liked FAKE, you might like Pet Shop of Horrors. They're not a ton alike, and Pet Shop of Horrors isn't really yaoi, but they both have a white cop and an Asian guy and take place in America and there's a kid, and peril, and complicated relationships.
Oct 28, 2015 7:49 PM
Jan 2015
I totally forgot about that post lol
So the manga is good? Cool!

Third paragraph yeah I know the feeling. It's strange

I will look into this pet shop horror stuff
Jan 5, 2016 1:50 AM

Aug 2013
tbh i'm not sure if it qualifies to be in the anime relations, but samurai flamenco had lesbian/bisexual magical girl crime fighters plus

http://myanimelist.net/anime/19365/Samurai_Flamenco
Apr 25, 2016 5:24 PM
Feb 2016
Well then.

There's not a whole lot of trans Anime, aside from Wandering Son, which has garnered quite a lot of praise.

There's also Shishunki Bitter Change, in which two Japanese kids have to grow up with their bodies switched, demonstrating an analogous situation to many real-life trans people.

If you're looking for others, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Sailor Moon, No. 6 should fit the bill.

Dec 27, 2016 5:05 AM

Oct 2009
Manga;
Otouto no Otto
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Anime;
Yuri on Ice, Yuri kuma Arashi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, .hack//Sign
Dec 27, 2016 10:09 PM
Dec 2016
I recced this manga in another post lol but I really like Shimanami Tasogare so far!!

The author is actually non-binary, or better said xgender. They seem really knowledgable and the story so far is written nicely and the characters are relatable and hold their own. Most of the characters are lgbt and they're different ages too.

For anime, I second teaknight. Especially yuri on ice.
Apr 24, 2017 4:57 AM
Mar 2012

Shimanami Tasogare seems interesting, is it really dark and psychological or more plain drama? not really a fan of the dark stuff :(
Nov 24, 2017 3:41 PM

Mar 2016
Mnemosyne's main character is bisexual and her partner is lesbian/bi(?).

The anime is purposefully very adult, and by that I mean not just violence/gore-wise but also sex-wise (not hentai though! Think R-rated cable television level). Each episode is like a mini-movie and it doesn't focus specifically on LGB topics but it's an all right sci-fi crime drama, although I'm only 4 1/2 episodes in so I can't tell you if it ends up tanking by the end. :P

https://myanimelist.net/anime/3342/Mnemosyne__Mnemosyne_no_Musume-tachi

artist | doofus | joiner (but not finisher) of challenges
Nov 30, 2017 11:23 AM
Jul 2014
I think Princess Jellyfish would be great for this list,

Especially since it explores the ideas of the continuum of gender identity, and tackles concepts with gender roles

Similarly people acclaim that Ouran Host Club is also very good at this.

Not specifically LGBT orientated, but they explore issues associated with the LGBT community.
Jan 30, 2018 3:22 AM

Dec 2015
One of the first manga to address transgender issues is Claudine by Riyoko Ikeda. The mangaka and singer is also part of a group of pioneers back in the day who brought changes and explored themes like homosexuality and transsexuality in their works.

xx0:44 ─🔘────────────── 04:44x
xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Feb 15, 2018 11:19 PM

Mar 2009
I see a few people have talked about some shounen here, and my favourite in that category is Hunter x Hunter.... Idk I think the series strongly implies Killua has feelings for Gon (and I've noticed fansubbers try to cut out/don't fully translate some of the more implicitly gay lines). Plus Alluka is one of the best trans characters I've seen in a shounen/mainstream anime. She's minor and just in the last arc, but she's plot important... and a very popular anime character's sister, who he supports.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What really attracts you?

Frezlaj - Sep 23, 2015

12 by removed-user »»
Aug 29, 2022 4:17 PM

» Who would you cosplay as (same sex couple)?

Voki - Apr 18, 2015

14 by removed-user »»
Aug 29, 2022 4:13 PM

Poll: » Are you in a relationship?

Voki - Mar 14, 2015

29 by seasidepeach »»
Aug 5, 2022 8:04 PM

» Anime with trans/tgnb themes?

DyedRed - Jul 12, 2022

3 by seasidepeach »»
Aug 5, 2022 8:02 PM

» Trans Anime and Manga Recommendations

satanminaj - Mar 6, 2016

6 by JKKH »»
Jul 21, 2022 7:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.