New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 29, 2013 12:47 AM
Jul 2013
HalfMetalJacket said:
yuquall said:
ibrahim-almulhim said:
I voted for 2#

but rather something like this: I like them , but nothing justifies their crimes and they should be punished

Depends on which side is going to win too. If their side won the war, they would be considered heroes.

Yup, remember Armin's words. Good and bad is subjective. I can do something good for you, but that might be bad for someone else.

Yeah.. too bad Armin isn't the main character or the one being abducted. haha
Oct 17, 2013 7:02 AM

Oct 2013
I just read all 6 pages of this thread in one sitting....and I still have no compassion for B/R/A.

Before you write me off as someone who has a black and white and no gray mentality...

Look, I understand there may have been extenuating circumstances. Matter of fact, most of my Criminology classes this semester are focused on neutralization techniques i.e. the ways people go about rationalizing their criminal acts in order to assuage their guilt before and after they commit them and I must say, it is absolutely socially fascinating the number of those points/techniques that have appeared in this topic (I'm pretty sure all the techniques are represented here) and others that haven't. Things like
"Denial of responsibility"(there were external pressures that forced them to do it so it's not their fault) and
"Denial of victim"(admitting that they hurt a lot of ppl but they(those in the wall) deserved it) and
"Condemning the condemner"(ppl who say that Eren was no different from BRA b'cos he also killed humans and titans who may or may not be formerly humans) and
"Appealing to higher loyalties"(the one about how BRA killed so many ppl for a higher/greater purpose.)
There's more but this is all I can remember off the top of my head.

My point is that, all these rationalizations and justifications are good and all, especially considering we don't know much about BRA's original goal, purpose and history. However, no matter how it is sliced, they are mass murderers. There's no such thing as mass murder for a good cause. If there was, Hitler would be a saint and it wouldn't be called mass murder.

I can also understand liking BRA so much that you can overlook their actions. This is fictional, after all, and I would hope it'd be a different case in reality. However, even if it turns out that they had awfully good reasons for what they did, I can understand that despite having no compassion for them because reasons are just rationalizations and justifications, meant to explain certain actions and hope they will be excused. I feel like ppl are not getting the real scope of what kicking the walls in really did. Someone(earlier in one post, I can't remember who) talked about Itachi's situation in Naruto. Well, I'm not one of those ppl who forgave/excused him after knowing his reasons. I mean, someone rightly said that it's pointless to hate fictional characters. So I don't hate Itachi. I understand(since I can't really empathize) his choices and I can see how he would take the actions he did. But I find it unforgivable. He does too or he would have asked for forgiveness wayyyy before he died.

In the same vein, if BRA's motivation for their action is how so many ppl have already surmised, then all I can do is see where they are coming from and how that influenced the type of radical action they took. I can't, however, feel any kind of sympathy or compassion for them (unless they die while atoning because they would have lived a very tragic life) because this is a lot of innocent, or otherwise, people who aren't coming back as a direct or indirect consequence of their actions. If this makes me insensitive or close-minded, well then so be it.

Wow, I wrote a lot more than I thought I would. I set up an account just to say this cos its really been bothering me for a while. Anyway, thanks for reading :)
Oct 17, 2013 2:20 PM
Sep 2013
millie10468 said:
snip

I find your opinion extreme, especially the idea that nothing terrible is ever justified. It's very easy to judge from the comfort of an armchair when you've never been forced to choose between some lives and others, or your own life and someone else's. In a world like Attack on Titan's, the sheer difficulty of having to repeatedly make such decisions is why people like Erwin and Pixis are held in such high esteem.

Hitler is a poor comparison to draw, but even Nazi Germany is not a morally unambiguous case study. For one, Hitler's rise to power was made possible by strong public approval in Germany. Many Germans wanted their country to rise out of the destitution it was left in after World War I, and were willing to tolerate some of Hitler's more questionable policies to that end. It may not have been honorable, but can you blame them for swimming with such a strong current? Can you say with certainty that you are an exceptional person and would not have done the same?

As Annie notes, it takes extraordinary willpower to swim the other way. To paraphrase Armin's words, "no one can be good to everyone." That's why, as Levi says, "the only thing you can do is make the choice you'll regret least." This holds doubly in a world where the threat of extinction always looms. There is neither good or bad, but thinking, or rather interests, make it so. As a reader, your interests have been aligned with those of the population behind the walls. You feel sympathy for them, and thereby lack sympathy for RBA. If the story had focused on the dilemmas facing Hometown instead, you might feel differently.

I could write an essay in opposition, but I'm pressed for time right now, so I'll leave you with a few questions. These are drawn from Attack on Titan and Naruto, but I could provide any number of real-life or historical analogues.

(1) In the Shingeki-verse, the government ordered a death-march after Wall Maria fell because it wasn't able to provide welfare to all the refugees.

Was that decision unforgivable as well?

Should the government instead have tried to take care of everyone, failed, and endured the riots along with other forms of civil unrest sure to follow, which would have put the survival of the human race at stake?

(2) In the Naruto-verse, Itachi killed his clan and averted a World War. As an exceptionally talented Uchiha and a double agent, he was uniquely positioned to do so.

If you find his actions unforgivable, do you think that he should have allowed a World War, which would have resulted in incomparably more deaths, to happen?

Are you blaming him for receiving only two choices from the powers that be? Are you blaming him for being the only person capable of making a great personal sacrifice to prevent a much greater loss of life? Not even Sasuke blames him after understanding his situation.

(3) Suppose that the very existence of the population behind the walls is an imminent threat to RBAs homeland, so the only way for them to save it is to purge the rest of humanity. If said purge is unforgivable, should they spare humanity and allow their homeland to perish?

For that matter, why is it reasonable and even admirable that Erwin and Pixis can, for a higher cause, bear the responsibility and often stigma for innocent lives lost, but unreasonable for RBA to do the same?

Again, which genocide would you have them choose? Or are you blaming them for even having to make the choice?

TL;DR - Sometimes terrible choices must be made by those with the power to make them, and unrelated people will be caught in the aftermath. Without the full story, it is not for us to judge such choices.
dxiaOct 17, 2013 4:00 PM
Oct 17, 2013 3:04 PM

Aug 2010
Too much is clouded in mystery for my feelings on the matter to be clear. What I can say is that it appears that they hate what they are doing, but know that they must.

The Tyke Bomb trope seems to be in play for these guys and their current state of mind. They were most likely raised for their mission and taught to resent the world so they would not feel guilt over their actions. As we have noticed, that didn't go exactly as planned thanks to the attachment they grew for the humans they were supposed to reject. These two aspects collided and the end result became... messy.

Honestly, I feel sorry for them. Their feelings for their comrades are genuine and they regret their actions, but are aware that they have no way to apologize. Their actions are irredeemable, and that drives them far off the edge. They are going through quite some tough shit.

That is, of course if it's case here. However, the way things are going, this seems to be the most likely scenario.
Oct 17, 2013 5:05 PM

Oct 2013
dxia said:
millie10468 said:
snip

snip

First, thanks for such a detailed reply. It made me think about things that were a bit uncomfortable to think about but you replied in a logical manner so I'll try to follow suit.

From what I understand of your reply, you're trying to say that everything is justified in this world. I concede that. There's a reason for everything, as they say. And yes, I may not have "moved from the comfort of an armchair when I've never been forced to choose between some lives and others, or my own life and someone else's" but... have you? I think it's also very easy to rebut an argument or opinion by slamming the "sitting in the comfort of your chair/living room" argument." The Attack on Titan world is such that no one can claim to know exactly how characters were feeling when they made certain decisions ... unless like you said, you've really been in some variation of that situation. Of course if you've been in this position before, well, all I can say is sorry you had to make such tough decisions.

The whole point of my post was to say that I could understand why certain actions were taken and that I found those actions unforgivable. It feels like you're confusing "understanding"those actions and "forgiving" those actions. I can understand and not forgive. It's like, when people tell you to forgive and forget. Some people forgive and never forget and some people forget without forgiving at all. Those two concepts are not mutually exclusive. Like do you HAVE to forget if you forgive? You might forgive the person who did something bad to you but you might keep a distance or treat other people carefully so it never happens to you again, and that's not forgetting, is it? Well, in this case, I might be able to understand RBA's reasons for kicking in the wall, and they might have good reasons but what then? Can they bring back the lives they stole? It might be an extreme opinion on forgiveness, but it was an extreme form of violence too.

What I was looking at is the tendency of a lot of people to assume that RBA's actions would be forgiven based on these reasons that have yet to be laid out and while I can understand that for something so extreme, there had to be an equally extreme reason, I find it a bit presumptuous.

Your thoughts on Nazi Germany are the reasons why no educated person will ever go around saying all Germans should be killed for Hitler's transgressions. People understand that there were reasons, some good reasons, why Hitler's fascist rhetoric were able to influence so many people but you don't hear too many people say they feel "sorry" for Hitler for taking the decision to kill millions of people or that they "forgive" him for killing all those people. I am not an "exceptional" person who would not have done the same as Hitler but I wouldn't expect anyone to feel sorry for me or forgive me for having to make that decision.

Yes, my interests have been aligned with the walled population, as a reader, but you know what? I would still find RBA's actions unforgivable even if the story had focused on the dilemmas facing Hometown instead. Like I said before, there's no prettying up mass murder regardless of which side you're on. It might be labeled something different, something that makes people feel better about themselves, but it's still the taking of lives.

You left some questions that I'll try to answer:
1. Yes, the government's decision to order a death-march was unforgivable. It was an unforgivable act that saved the rest of humanity. And herein lies the crux of my point: just because something is justified does not mean it's forgivable. Therefore, I can find the reasons behind that death-march sound but still feel angry and resentful toward the government.

2. This would be a case of blame vs forgiveness for me. I don't blame Itachi for making the choices he made. After all, it's not like I'm offering any viable alternatives, am I? However, am I not allowed to feel angry or resentful towards him? You mentioned Sasuke. He understands Itachi's actions (who wouldn't?) but actually forgiving might be a whole different ball game. I mean, its not like there's been enough time for them to just sit around singing Kumbayas for us to know how their relationship would be after that.

3. Again, it might be understandable but not forgivable. Plus, I never said anything about Erwin and Pixis being admirable in their use of human lives but I do find their actions unforgivable too (wow, there's a lot of unforgiveness going on here)

You said something like "Without the full story, it is not for us to judge such a choice". However, just like I'm prepared to find the act of genocide unforgivable regardless of reasons, aren't a lot of people also ready to forgive RBA as soon as they find out those reasons?
OpalMidgeOct 17, 2013 6:57 PM
Oct 17, 2013 8:46 PM

Sep 2013
millie10468 said:
dxia said:
millie10468 said:
snip

snip

snip combo #3

that's hypocrisy, I'm not offending you but saying stuff like "its understandable but not forgivable" is contradiction.

Well maybe not but... its obvious that you are judging them based on emotions and not logic, even if you say that you "moved from the comfortable armchair"
you still haven't fully understand that ideals are luxury, specially when something is threating your existence.

Instead of Hitler I'll make a better example...the bombing of hiroshima and Nagasaki, if the USA haven't done that the war would've continued for much longer resulting in far more casualties for both sides, yes there was a lot of civilians who died in the process but they were the civilians of an enemy country, and the choice between allies lives and enemy lives is no choice at all.

RBA are like the pilots who dropped the bomb, they killed several hundred thousand of people but did anyone in the USA at that time dare to call them mass-murders?

no because the people there were relieved that the war ended and the fear of losing their way of life was lifted.

Years later people can come and speak of morality and ideals why? because they no longer feel endangered or threatened and the luxury of not worrying about their existence returned, that is called being a hypocrite.

Point is sometimes many people can live comfortably because of the few people who decided to dirty their hands.

now assuming you read the theory that redeems RBA (my whole defending stance came from that) can you honestly offer a better solution?
its easy to say that what they did is wrong without offering a better alternative.

that is way "Special individuals" with strong mind are required to make such decisions, hard decisions for the greater good even if people resent them for it,
i find that kind of people "admirable".

Again forgive me if sound disrespectful.
Oct 17, 2013 10:52 PM

Oct 2013
annie_leonheart said:
millie10468 said:
dxia said:
millie10468 said:
snip

snip

snip combo #3

Snip

On the contrary, you don't sound disrespectful at all. Don't worry about that.

I'm not sure if I'm the one who's not explaining myself too well but I really don't see how being understanding of circumstances but not being forgiving is a contradiction. Do you have to forgive every criminal who commits a crime because you see where they're coming from? Do we not, as a society, punish criminals even when we understand why they did what they did? Maybe I'm relying more on my emotions than logic, as you said, because I don't see how I am required to forgive certain actions just because I understand. I actually find it a lot more emotional to not be able to see how understanding does not equal forgiveness.

The example you used of Hiroshima and Nagasaki seems a bit narrow in its focus. From the view of American citizens, of course it was a necessary evil, like you said. But what about the view of the Japanese? Can you assume that they've forgiven the US for the deaths of all those people? I can't assume that they haven't either so do you see how it might be possible that while they might also logically understand that the lives that were lost saved the the lives of more people, they might have never forgiven the US?

Your point about how years later people come out and speak of morals and ideals just underscores what I believe. Just because you call it one name in times of war and call it by another in times of peace does not mean murder isn't murder. People like to say, it's a war so murder is justified. Sure, its justified but no one has the right to take away other people's lives. That's what I'm trying to say: RBA might be justified but it doesn't erase their actions. Unless you're trying to say that once we know why they kicked in the walls, the slate has been wiped clean and it's like they never killed anyone at all? I can't make assumptions about how the characters are going to feel when they find out the whole truth. Whether or not those characters will excuse RBA for their actions is up to how Isayama spins it. All I know is that I won't be able to stop thinking of them as mass murderers.

We can assume they had really good reasons for their actions but we can't pretend like they didn't take those actions, can we?
Oct 18, 2013 5:48 PM
Sep 2013
There is no cruelty where self-preservation is concerned. The instinct to survive is more primal and more ancient than any code of morals or ethics; it precedes our very species. A cornered animal will kill to live; a hungry animal will kill to eat. If I were a starving Neanderthal who happened upon another in his cave with a piece of meat, I would kill him and eat the meat. If he knew of my presence and intentions, he would try to kill me first.

At our core, stripped of community and upbringing, we are just animals.

Morals and ethics are not something inherent to humans; we did not evolve into them, and we did not inherit them at birth. They are necessitated by individual weakness, which necessitates interdependence, which in turn drives the formation of communities (ironically enough, if Homo Sapiens had evolved as a natural apex predator, we might never have formed communities or advanced to our current state). The key concept here is cooperation. A group of humans can do more than the disjoint sum of its individuals through specialization. In order to realize this benefit, a basic code of conduct is necessary. Two men cannot cooperate if each is always trying to kill or steal from the other, or impregnate the other's wife, so they agree not to. This arrangement suffices for basic cooperative efforts, such as hunting. As basic needs become stably met, communities develop into more complex organizations and eventually civilizations, which require more complex codes of conduct such as social hierarchies and laws. Eventually, these codes are so deeply ingrained into the community psyche that they are often assumed to be natural principles, but they are not. They are simply an artificial Nash Equilibrium that facilitates human cooperation.

The sanctity of human life is an artificial principle ubiquitous only to human codes of conduct. Nature does not acknowledge the right to life because it operates by a simple, Darwinian mechanism; a weak gazelle cannot complain when a lion needs to eat. Human lives are not more significant to the scheme of the Universe than gazelle lives, even if we would like to think of ourselves as somehow special or sacred. The very notion of a human right to life is a quintessential hypocrisy, especially when we impose it on the rest of nature. We exploit other forms of life in countless ways, but if one of our own is injured by another species, we see the injurious party as evil and take severe measures to put it down. Why do humans have the right to life, if we deny it to other species? It is because we are the dominant species. Humans may wax eloquent about souls and higher consciousness and even God, but these are just ways to reconcile our position at the top of a Darwinian hierarchy with a desire to believe in our inherent goodness. The truth is that if the gap between the strong and weak is large enough, we no longer acknowledge the same balance of justice between the two. This basic law holds not only when the balance of power is in our favor; many religions depict a God or gods that are at times angry, vengeful, and destructive, yet consider it blasphemous to retaliate against, blame, or even resent their respective deities. At the same time, "deified authority" has been used to justify political agendas and actions that would otherwise be difficult to reconcile with acceptable notions of "right."

Even if humans realize that cooperation is necessary, we (and especially males) are inherently and deeply competitive creatures. Competition is at once a catalyst for innovation and a force that drives our more violent urges; these manifestations are inseparable. Violence, however, takes lives, and lives, while not sacred, can still be expensive, especially when their loss begets further violence (often because they carry the illusion of sanctity). It is for this reason that athletes have replaced gladiators, and commerce has replaced conquest. However, sometimes the pitting of life against life is unavoidable. In this most extreme crucible of competition, sometimes one party appears innocent; sometimes there is provocation; sometimes there is instigation by both sides. There is no absolute morality here (or anywhere), only interests. Whatever the circumstances may be, an animal that believes itself cornered will lash out. Most legal systems acknowledge this basic instinct with self-defense clauses.

War is the ultimate form of competitive expression. To declare war is to declare a retrogression towards the State of Nature. War in its purest form, like Nature, does not acknowledge the right to life; instead it acknowledges the right to fight for life. Like Nature, it is free of artificial constructs like morals. Indeed, the superimposition of morals and ethics often blunts combat effectiveness. International laws and Rules of Engagement penned by politicians (in armchairs) can impede and even damage a war effort as much as any opposing force. That two world powers were mired for years in Afghanistan (and one of them in Vietnam as well) is evidence enough. The misguided idea that mandating aspects of a peacetime code of conduct during war will make war more humane generally results in longer and more expensive wars with a higher body count. Operation Red Wings is a perfect example of this. Because a SEAL team spared a young goatherd who later alerted the local Taliban, all but one of the team members, and around a hundred Taliban, ended up dying.

Collateral cannot be avoided in war. Trying too hard to uphold the "sanctity of human life" may not only have the opposite effect, but compromise objectives. Giving peacetime value to lives in a war zone would make every veteran an unforgivable monster. To even think that way, to take people we need and who do a job that most of us would not, and forget or even stigmatize them after the fact, is a disgusting hypocrisy.

Morals and ethics are community-wide facilitators of cooperation. Needless to say, war is not cooperative. Upholding certain artificial rights, including the one to life, may be interest-serving, and therefore rational in peacetime, but an abject contradiction during war. The dropping of atomic bombs on Japan is an excellent example. If either President Truman had not ordered the drops, or the pilots had not done their duty, the Japanese may have kept true to their Samurai spirit and defended their Emperor to the bitter end, resulting in far more casualties on both sides and far more damage to their country.

Despite all this, one could still ask: is it not possible, and even natural, to resent those who attack your home or otherwise injure you even after knowing their reasons? It is possible, and even natural, but if the intentions of the attacker were not outright malicious, it may not be rational. To be emotional instead of rational is to choose wants over needs. In the case of Japan at the end of World War II, surrendering met their needs far better than attrition. Japan was able to attain a peace that saved many Japanese lives, spared the country from further damage, and eventually led to a strong alliance with the United States. There may have been some resentment, but feeding it would only have weakened their relationship with the United States at a time when Japan desperately needed help rebuilding, and the United States was offering that help. Personal feelings and public and international relations must be kept separate. Moreover, given how quickly General MacArthur became an icon in Japan, it is clear that any lingering resentment swiftly evaporated.

Third-person resentment for injuries from another generation, or that have no personal effect, are even less rational. There is no benefit to be attained from it, and much benefit to keeping an open, dispassionate mind. It is said that understanding and reconciliation between the United States and the Middle East will not come from wars and democracy, but from the generation "raised on Google." Information and free, rational thought is the natural antibody for extremism.

Finally, it is irrational to blame someone for having no choice, or having to make the less difficult of two extreme choices (a situation often encountered in war). Assigning blame or resentment thus is tantamount to blaming someone for death and taxes; it is hating the player for the faults of the game. Anyone inclined to think otherwise should learn that they have injured others all their life just by existing. On the other hand, the advent of thermonuclear weapons has actually diminished the likelihood of war, which in turn can be called the mother of creation. Like the old adage says, there are two sides to every story.
dxiaOct 18, 2013 6:02 PM
Oct 18, 2013 8:02 PM

Oct 2013
dxia said:
Snip

I understand everything you're trying to say and yes, there really is no morality in trying to survive. However,you seem to think that extenuating circumstances mean there's no need to acknowledge those actions taken to survive while I think that those actions need to be acknowledged regardless of the circumstances. I'm not saying that we shouldn't do everything we can in order to survive even if it means mass murder. I'm just saying that we should accept the reality of what we did. Unlike animals, we humans are able to rationalize and look beyond our instincts. Yes, we wanted to survive so we killed or will kill this many people. Is it wrong to kill people in general? Yes, unless you don't think everyone has a right to their life, which you seem to do by talking about how humans take away the lives of other species. You seem to believe humans have no right to take away the lives of any species regardless of any rationalization. I can't answer the questions you raised regarding this. How and why people believe humans treat other species is up to them. However, just as you whittled those reasons to the lowest denominator (i.e. only the strongest survive), I have also whittled down RBA's actions to its simplest form (they are mass murders because they killed a lot of people). Is it wrong to kill people in order to survive? As you said, self-preservation precedes our species.

I'm not trying to say RBA didn't have a reason to commit mass murder. They may have been trying to survive, like people have theorized. What I'm trying to understand is why people are making it seem like the slate will be wiped clean for RBA once we see how they might have been trying to survive. The people who died will never come back, even if they died for the "greater good." RBA might be able to get away, legally, with mass murder but they won't ever forget the blood on their hands and that is mostly why I won't/don't feel sympathy for them. People who think no one should find their actions unforgivable should also explain why RBA seem to have feelings of guilt if they themselves didn't find their actions hard to forgive.

Calling it hypocrisy to feel this way also feels hypocritical in the sense that you might say you value life and then condone it being treated like a disposable dishrag. You talk about emotions vs rationality like it's the easiest thing to do to be rational rather than emotional in a situation that affects you personally. Aren't you the one who talked about judging from the comfort of your armchair? How is that different from differentiating between "malicious" intentions and "non malicious" intentions that result in the same actions because you have the luxury of being removed from the situation?

Your point about veterans reminds me of labeling theory where the labels we give to people influence how we feel about same actions they take. In this case, wouldn't it be a bigger hypocrisy to condone what veterans do in war while condemning the same actions of people who aren't veterans. Because, just as U.S citizens would indeed prefer not to stigmatize veterans for the actions they took during war, the citizens of other countries who have been directly affected by these actions would be prepared to call them murderers and monsters. Talking about veterans only from the point of view of the country they serve seems a bit unfair.

About Japan, I don't think you can make assumptions about their lingering feelings of resentment towards the U.S being nonexistent based on how quickly MacArthur became famous. Like you pointed out, they desperately needed U.S help so they probably couldn't be publicly resentful. Of course, that also means I can't assume that they still have any lingering feelings of resentment either. However, I will bet anything that the families of people who died in and as result of the bombing feel anything but happiness towards the U.S.

Finally, like I keep saying, I don't (or won't, once we find out) blame RBA for their choices. Whether or not they had no choice or mass murder was the less difficult of two extreme choices is completely irrelevant. Whether or not I understand (or will understand) the reasons for their actions is irrelevant as well to the fact that they ended the lives of a lot of people. Are you then saying we shouldn't resent the death of people? That is is very logical and enlightened of you, if that's true. Personally, I hate when people close to me die and I resent that they had to die. Maybe that's too emotional of me. In my emotional state, I also find that I can resent both the player and the game. And anyone who has been injured by my existence is free to resent me and find my existence unforgivable. As long they understand that I didn't have a choice in being born (see how that relates to RBA?)

P.S: Do I sound contentious? I didn't mean to, if I did :heh:
OpalMidgeOct 18, 2013 8:35 PM
Oct 18, 2013 8:33 PM

Oct 2011
Right now I only really dislike Reiner and Bertholdt for what they have done. I think we don't really know yet what else Annie did yet. I mean beside trying to capture Eren (and killing Levi's squad :() and fighting in the city (which wasn't really her intention) so I can't say if she is bad or not all that bad until we know more about her background or the reason why she wanted Eren that much
Oct 18, 2013 9:05 PM
Sep 2013
@millie10468
Edit: I don't mind when people sound contentious. I don't think people should have to step on eggshells to seem politically correct. I'm missing a few of your points here but I'll address them after I get back from seeing some friends.

Let me TL;DR some of what I wrote because I think that you're misinterpreting some of what I meant.

(1) In the beginning there was Nature. There were and are no morals inherent to Nature, including any "right to life."

(2) We are not born with morals, ethics, or rights of any kind. These are just a necessary construct that allow us to cooperate; we cooperate because specialization is efficient. Eventually they become ingrained into the community psyche and are assumed to be natural even though they are artificial. Note: I am saying that there is NO "right" to life. We just made it up because it's convenient for US when cooperating.

(3) Humans are the only animals that believe that they have a sacred right to live. Note: I am not saying that humans have no right to take away the lives of other species. What is hypocritical is to pretend that we are somehow morally "good" for believing so, because the only reason we even have the right to do so is because we are dominant.

millie10468 said:
You seem to believe humans have no right to take away the lives of any species regardless of any rationalization.

I straight up did not say this.
As a species, we pretend to be morally upright but still treat every other species by a "might is right" standard, which we also demonize regularly. To avoid being hypocritical, we should just admit "it is what it is."

(4) We still have competitive urges. We try to stay away from life-threatening ones but sometimes we can't. Often this isn't anyone's "fault", persay, but just a matter of interests.

millie10468 said:
Calling it hypocrisy to feel this way also feels hypocritical in the sense that you might say you value life and then condone it being treated like a disposable dishrag.

War is NOT COOPERATIVE. Therefore the same morals and ethics that serve us in peace DO NOT serve us in war, including the right to life. So YES, I am saying that human life is not as sacred as you make it out to be. That's what I've been saying the whole time. One cannot take the hard decisions that must be made in war and judge them by the same standards as one would in peacetime.

Shingeki's story is set in a perpetual state of war.

millie10468 said:
You talk about emotions vs rationality like it's the easiest thing to do to be rational rather than emotional in a situation that affects you personally. Aren't you the one who talked about judging from the comfort of your armchair? How is that different from differentiating between "malicious" intentions and "non malicious" intentions that result in the same actions because you have the luxury of being removed from the situation?

It isn't easy. I did say that it may be natural to feel resentment. But over the long run, it may also be necessary to let it go after knowing the reasons, especially in wartime. Being dispassionate in a story like Shingeki's is often crucial, which is why people like Erwin and Armin are so important.

(5) "Resenting" someone for having no choice is illogical. If the powers that be determine that someone must die, then yes, we should not harbor resentment. If it's someone close, I'd feel sad and i'd miss them, but I wouldn't resent to no purpose; I'd just hope they found their life fulfilling.

millie10468 said:

However, just as you whittled those reasons to the lowest denominator (i.e. only the strongest survive), I have also whittled down RBA's actions to its simplest form (they are mass murders because they killed a lot of people).

My whole disagreement with you is that you automatically consider this wrong. Note: I never said I'd automatically consider it right. I don't think there is ANY right or wrong here, only interests. I think that should be easy to see from a 3RD person perspective.

Let's suppose that the Ape was the big bad here. RBA convinces Hometown to ally with the rest of humanity against the Ape, comes back, offers the alliance, and asks for forgiveness in return. Humanity should definitely take the damn offer if it means averting destruction. RBA could save more lives than they took.

Let's look at the case of Scar in FMA. If anyone had a reason to hate Amestris, it'd be him. But he realized over the course of the story that most Amestrians aren't really evil, and by the end, he'd accepted their help in rebuilding Ishval. I don't think he'd have done that if he hadn't forgiven them.
dxiaOct 18, 2013 9:27 PM
Oct 18, 2013 10:00 PM

Oct 2013
dxia said:
@millie10468
Snip

I'll correct any misunderstandings before addressing your points.

1. I concur. The "right to life" is indeed a social construction.

2. Again, the concept of "right to life" was constructed by society, as almost all philosophers will attest. Depending on whether you believe humans are inherently evil or inherently good, this concept was constructed in order to prevent people from going around killing each other with impunity.

3. I did understand it how you meant but what I meant to point out was that regardless of the reasons with which we treat other species, we have very strict rules about how to treat each other, within our own species. And that is that "life is sacred".

4. I don't think it's as simple as that, that humans believe life is sacred only in times of peace. I believe we do believe it all the time. It's just that we want to survive, in war times, a lot more than we want to uphold that belief. That doesn't mean we won't or can't go back to upholding that belief after the war and acknowledge that what we did was wrong. What I am finding hard to understand is that people are very willing to overlook the very act of taking lives.

5. I do think its pointless to resent someone for having no choice. After all, it's not like their actions can be taken back. However, does that mean you won't resent them anyway, despite knowing their reasons? The head may be logical but the heart is a lot emotional. I do see where we disagree a lot clearly now: you think of things as being defined by their context while I think of them as being imbued with one universal definition. From a 3rd person perspective, I should also be able to see the finality of death as death regardless of interests. Your perspective is also a lot more utilitarian than mine: I don't see how saving more lives then they took can erase the lives they did take. Utilitarianism always seemed a bit cold to me, like playing the numbers game with human lives.

I don't pretend to have ever been in a position of having to forgive someone who had killed people close to me but you're forgetting that Scar's realization also came at the cost of human lives. He realized that he wasn't in a position to keep blaming the people of Amestria when he was also perpetuating the cycle of revenge and violence by killing people.
Oct 18, 2013 11:43 PM

Dec 2012
For me, it boils down to one thing - was it necessary for creatures like the human-titans to break the Walls, one after another, in order to infiltrate and find what they are looking for. Because, I don't fucking find anything pointing to their disadvantage, given their abilities, and, seriously, breaking into a bait-city could have been enough for whatever purpose the shifters came - hatred or reason.
Then they also breached the Inner Gate of Wall Maria, spent 3 years in Wall Rose among humans, before destroying Rose, too. So no - something is way off here, when you are a shifter and your opponent is an idea worse than a sheep in a barn. None of us, the readers, is obliged to take the human side, but for myself, I'd prefer taking the side of the weaker. No one deserves to die, because another has an agenda of their own, especially if the former lacks any means to fend for themselves. It's was a slaughter and resulted in genocide. It's not like I don't understand the RBA dilemmas, but it is still the wrong thing to do and, perhaps, not the smartest.

On another note, this thing with the monstrosity of Erwin and co, goes off the track, too. Erwin didn't throw the lives of innocent people, but those of seasoned soldiers, which is what they all do, being in the Scouting Legion and all.
Oct 19, 2013 1:45 AM
Sep 2013
Humanitarianism is admirable when lives are not at stake.

A situation in which they are, however, necessitates a more utilitarian approach. Ironically, utilitarianism can be the most humane option.

There are soldiers who hesitate to kill because they believe that taking innocent lives is wrong, or feel guilty about doing so. Such hesitation can be more dangerous than compassion when it risks compromising objectives. Again, Operation Red Wings is a great example. Sparing one "innocent" turned a simple, low-key reconnaissance and sniping mission into both a failure and a massacre.

Rather than comparing lives to lives, it is generally more important to weigh objectives against lives. Just as there are soldiers who hesitate to take lives, there are those who willingly offer their lives for an objective because they consider the latter more valuable in the long run.

From a commander's point of view, sacrificing lives to achieve a key objective may be cruel, and it may breed resentment. There may even be people who will never forgive him. However, when compromising the objective will not only result in far more lives lost, but also set back the war effort, the most humane thing that he can do is make the utilitarian decision. Sacrificing lives can be difficult to accept, but the alternative may be unacceptable. When compassion leads to emotional indecision, which in turn leads to failure, possibly resulting in more pain and ruin for both sides, the most humane thing to do is excise that compassion. The very same applies for anger and recklessness, since both lead to a lose-lose situation. If that seems calculating and equation-like, that's because it is.

Most people cannot calculate dispassionately under such pressure, and the characters in Shingeki are no exception. That's why characters like Erwin and Pixis are so valuable, why soldiers will die for them, and why many readers admire them after seeing the composure they have to maintain. While there are families that hate Erwin, they've also never bothered to put his mission in perspective. It's similar to how many soldiers in Trost were considering open rebellion before Pixis asked them, "Would you rather face terror and die here, or watch helplessly as your family and everyone around you is devoured, both by titans and by each other?" Translation: "Which would you resent more; the pain and fear you will endure here, or the fate your families will endure otherwise?"

What some of the theories about RBA are speculating is that they found themselves in a position close to those of Erwin and Pixis (only at a much younger age), where genocide may have been both their most utilitarian option and their most humane one. They are compassionate towards their fellow humans; they feel guilty for their actions and understand if they are hated for them. Nonetheless, they were and are prepared to follow through because they believe their actions to be the "least wrong", and by extension the "most right" thing to do. That perspective will probably never be understood or accepted by anyone inside the walls until (like with Pixis) they are smacked in the face with it.

EDIT:
The parts of the theory in question that relate to RBA are abbreviated as follows:
- The Ape is the Big Bad and the greatest enemy of Hometown.
- The Ape can make and control (mostly) mindless titans.
- The Ape may be in league with the nobility and upper echelons of government.
- When "the time comes", the Ape will "harvest" the humans inside the walls by making them into titans. When he does, he will have the numbers to crush Hometown (RBA have trouble with mobs. Now imagine an army, following orders).
- Hometown, being aware of this plan and the possibility of a coordinate, dispatches RBA with two objectives.
(1) If possible, locate and extract the coordinate to counter the Ape's ability
(2) If not, purge the walled population, both to prevent its "inevitable fate" and to protect Hometown.
Out of compassion and guilt, RBA would much rather take the first option than the second, which is why they hesitate between attacking each of the walls (note that they broke the walls, but never personally joined the invasion), and also why they tell Eren that if he comes with them, "they will never touch the walls again."

EDIT:
zellami said:
On another note, this thing with the monstrosity of Erwin and co, goes off the track, too. Erwin didn't throw the lives of innocent people, but those of seasoned soldiers, which is what they all do, being in the Scouting Legion and all.

Erwin planned an emergency operation in Stohess fully aware of the collateral it might cause. We can assume that the military higher-ups (that is, including Pixis and Erwin) planned the "death march" of 200,000 "militia." Pixis openly admitted that he "bears that sin."

Also, let's not forget that the Wall Cult holds a secret they will protect even if it means extinction. The idea of there being a higher cause than the human race is not exclusive to RBA.
dxiaOct 19, 2013 2:49 AM
Oct 19, 2013 8:59 AM

Oct 2013
Hi to everybody! I congratulate for this really interesting thred. And thanks to millie10468 for posting me the link to this forum. English is not my first language, I hope I won't make too many errors!

I'll try to explain my point of view about RBA.

I neither like nor dislike them, I see them as victims of their own people. Or perhaps victims of the war between their village and the King. I don't know how old they are, if they really are teenagers or if they are quite older, as Ymir. If they're just guys fifteen - sixteen years old, they were trained, transformed in titan shifter and sent to destroy Wall Maria when still really young. They were trained to be mass murderer; they have been told that people inside the walls were dangerous, evil, that they had to destroy them in order to let their village survive. And this makes them less morally guilty.
They seem to know that killing is bad, that they have taken away the lives of innocent people and they seem to suffer for this.
Annie is the character with the coldes blood, she's the one which seems to have less regrets.
Bernard doesn't speak a lot, but he always has a frightened looks.
Reiner is the character whom the autor has given the opportunity to explain his thoughts. He looks quite unbalanced, sometimes he seems to regrets his actions, sometimes he seems to be fiercely willing to destroy the people within the walls.
He' s a tragic hero who has to sacrifice himself to save his village.

Are they mass murderer? Yes, they are, just as the guys who drop the bombs on Hiroshima or other people that had to do similiar thing in war time. And they seems to be conscious of it. Life is never disposable without becoming a murderer.

However sometimes we have to choose between die or kill. To slaughter or be slaughtered.
Many centuries ago Machiavelli said "the ends justify the means". It's not always true, you cannot kill somebody just to steal his wallet. However when we speak about survival, that becomes true. If they did it in order to save their country they did the right thing.

There is no contradiction in calling them murdere and saying that they do the right thing.

If I kill a man who'is going to kill me, and I have no other way to survive than killing him, well, I'm a murderer but I do the right thing.
Many countries don't punish a person who kill to defence himself or herself. I don't know the right english word for legal self defence, just call it "legitimate defence". In my own country "legitimate defence" requires that you must be in actual, real danger of life or of personal wounds and your actions must be proportional to the harm your trying to avoid. Of course authorities dont'allow preventive self-defence because people have to rely on police or army for their protection.

RBA's village cannot call for police or army to be protected. They're alone against the whole population behind the walls. They did a kind of preventive self defence.

RBA are mass murderer.
RBA did the right thing if it was the only way to save their people.
RBA will be condemned as murderer if the king will win.
RBA will be honored as hero if they win.

It's sad but this is how world is. Both fictional and real world

That's my opinion about RBA, I'm waiting for the next mangas to see what's behind this strange war between humans and titans, or better between humas and humans.
Oct 19, 2013 9:17 AM

Dec 2012
Re: dxia

Of course he is fully aware that collateral might occur, but it is not like he planted them there. On the contrary, he did his best to ferret them out of the Walls and fight them with armed forces - twice. His initial intention wasn't to fight Annie, but to capture her, as well as her accomplices, so manga-wise, the events of Stohess are to knock some sense into the citizens of Sina, who still believe that titans won't pay them visit. But then again, those titans are the same titans, connected to the breached Walls, right?

We don't know the details behind Wall Maria's recovery. What we know comes mostly from the anime, and it says that the Central Government ordered the offensive with the clear mind that throwing back the refugees behind Wall Rose would alleviate the sudden food shortage and would put the groups of Wall Maria under control.

It's unclear what exactly stances people like Erwin and Pixis took at the time or if they were in position to "devise" plans. I don't think either of them was a Commander then, but this is irrelevant - as soldiers, they followed the orders of the Government. The differences is that the Scouting Legion also followed and got wasted with the refugees out there. This is also a sign being prepared to lose everything. Literally.

Erwin dislikes losing his soldiers, too. The 'monster' side of him is visible after Levi reported that the rear-guard had been obliterated by Annie. He didn't react by breaking into tears, but shot all the damn cannons at her and ordered her joints to get bombed. If you are fighting a monster, you are to be as merciless as powerful the monster is. I think this was the major point.

The other, a bit earlier, was Eren and Jean's doubt on how the FT mission is handled. I don't think I should repeat any of this, because you know as much as I do - this is the thin line, where defense flips to offense and it's not a hunting for potatoes :)

You know, I do believe that Annie cried because she couldn't justify the killing of humans. She failed as "a warrior" as a consequence, and she took it upon herself. In that, she e far better human than the stupid merchant at the inner gate of Wall Rose, plugged the gate with his selfish arrogance. But there's always difference - it's one thing to kill your own dog, and another if someone just finds your dog unnecessary.

The way I see it, the Beast titan poses threat for everyone - the humans, and, likely, the human-titans, although we don't know that yet either. Even if he is to harvest humans, there are so many titans out there the Walls, who could endanger a small number of human-titans, that ... it's just ... seriously. Mom-eater titan was a titan before the Beast appeared and his creations were not immortal than any other of the usual class. So, in my book, humanity still has a chance. But if you rob them from the little they have for your own purposes ..., ... meh, it's like knifing a dead dog.
Oct 19, 2013 11:52 AM

Aug 2013
I'm not going to sympathize with a side when we don't even know what it is yet.
Oct 19, 2013 2:10 PM
Sep 2013
ryoko74 said:

(1) If they did it in order to save their country they did the right thing.

There is no contradiction in calling them murdere and saying that they do the right thing.

(2) RBA will be condemned as murderer if the king will win.
RBA will be honored as hero if they win.

(1) I agree. Murder is what has been committed. What I've been arguing in this thread is that it isn't necessarily wrong.

(2) Other posters have made this observation earlier in the thread, and again, I agree. We operate by the same "might is right" philosophy that we tend to demonize much more than we let on. As much as everyone says they'd take the side of the weak and disadvantaged, we wouldn't join their ranks given the choice; we still admire and aspire to the most successful. I believe that we should admit this instead of trying to be (hypocritically) politically correct.

If hypothetically, Hitler had conquered the world, history books published a hundred years later might call him "a visionary who made some necessary sacrifices."

There's no need to isolate any specific case. There were plenty of mass murderers in history glorified as conquerors or revolutionaries (as well as mass murders not perpetrated by any particular individual). The lives they take go unexposed or ignored, outshone by grandeur, or because no one from the injured party was prominent enough in exposing the other side of the story. Power makes history. Things like justice and recognition are simply perspectives, and whether they favor the disadvantaged is very much hit and miss.

From the perspective of "biological justice", it's actually fitting that the humans in Shingeki are experiencing life as a non-apex species.
Oct 19, 2013 3:48 PM

Sep 2013
ErenxMikasa said:
Given what we know right now, no, plus Annie killed Petra.

This. If Annie hadnt've been such a ruthless bitch in her Titan form, I'd feel for them but Annie was and thus I have to assume that all "Home" Shifters are merciless bastards.

That said... I get the feeling Eren and Ymir are going to need to team up with them to bring down Ape Titan who seems to be the true antagonist.
Old_RavenOct 19, 2013 3:52 PM
Oct 20, 2013 7:14 AM

Oct 2013
millie10468 said:

Matter of fact, most of my Criminology classes this semester are focused on neutralization techniques i.e. the ways people go about rationalizing their criminal acts in order to assuage their guilt before and after they commit them and I must say, it is absolutely socially fascinating the number of those points/techniques that have appeared in this topic (I'm pretty sure all the techniques are represented here) and others that haven't. Things like
"Denial of responsibility"(there were external pressures that forced them to do it so it's not their fault) and
"Denial of victim"(admitting that they hurt a lot of ppl but they(those in the wall) deserved it) and
"Condemning the condemner"(ppl who say that Eren was no different from BRA b'cos he also killed humans and titans who may or may not be formerly humans) and
"Appealing to higher loyalties"(the one about how BRA killed so many ppl for a higher/greater purpose.)

Old_Raven said:
ErenxMikasa said:

This. If Annie hadnt've been such a ruthless bitch in her Titan form, I'd feel for them but Annie was and thus I have to assume that all "Home" Shifters are merciless bastards.

I think, as I already wrote, that Annie, Berthold and Reiner have different tempers and different reactions to their crimes.

Annie sees to have no regrets at all. I dont'belive that she cried for regrets, in my opinion she was crying because she had lost, she had failed her mission.
In ten years of work as lawyer I have seen very few criminals feeling regrets for what they had done. All monsters, people without humanity? No, just men and women which didn't think that what they had done was bad. "I sold drugs, shouldn't I?", "I smashed the face of my wife's lover, shouldn't I?", "i stole a bike because I was boring, shouldn't I? " They had no sense of guilty but they were very sad about their punishment!

Berthold and Reiner are a mix of the "Denial of victim" and "Appealing to higher loyalties" theories that millie 10468 described. It's a fact that they were good friends for the other 104th squad traineers, while Annie liked to stay alone.
It's still a mystery for me why she teached Eren how to fiight...
Oct 20, 2013 8:44 AM
Sep 2013
@ryoko

I'm not sure how Annie feels, to be honest. There are different scenes and interpretations that suggest different things.

What seems clear is that Annie considers most people "hopeless idiots", as Eren observed. She has little respect for them and even enjoys murdering scouts as the Female Titan, if we are to believe Levi's instincts. At the same time, she will go out of her way to help or spare people she respects, like Eren and Armin.

She respects Eren because Eren has the guts to follow his chosen path and stand for what he believes, no matter the obstacles. She respects Armin because he has the courage to find his place in the scouts, even if his physical strength is substandard. Along with her waxing philosophical in Stohess, her relationships suggest that at some point in her life, she "broke" and gave in to the pressure of her world. She respects people who have the mental fortitude to fight against the flow, which is why she teaches Eren to fight.

Your observations as a lawyer on most criminals' sense of right and wrong, as well as consequence, are quite interesting. I don't have the same experience that you do, but I would guess that the criminals you describe are shocked by the notion that they will be punished for something they do not consider wrong. Their moral and emotional compasses do not align with the law. Of course, there are many questionable laws (which are unfortunate and should be amended, but nonetheless must be upheld for the integrity of the system), but I don't think their disagreement with said or other laws is in the rational or ideological sense, but more of an impulse or instinct. Studies have shown that most criminals do not have the highest of IQs.

Criminals who do have the brains to to take exception with the law on philosophical grounds, as well as the necessary skills and connections, are in some sense the more dangerous ones, but in some sense also less dangerous, because they are more rational and try not to injure anyone that doesn't "need injuring." They have a chance at becoming the "lords" or "godfathers" of the criminal world.

Bertholdt and Reiner are an example of two "criminals" (at least, to the people inside the walls) who obviously feel guilty for their "crime." I don't think they are "denying the victim" though; rather they are "denying responsibility."

On another note; as a lawyer, how do you see Levi's case? He seems to have been a notorious criminal in the past who has a propensity for "condemning the condemner (government)", because he genuinely hates some of the government's more selfish policies. On the other hand, he is now a war hero and an irreplaceable soldier, which in the world of Shingeki means that he is "too valuable to punish", and can therefore insult who he likes with near-impunity. Similarly, the value of Eren's titan form makes him untouchable now. Even if he were to accidentally kill a few civilians, what would normally be a crime would likely be written off in his case.

Are they criminals? Should they be punished? Or do the special circumstances of war warrant significant exceptions? If they do, then what do you think of the three from Hometown, if it turns out there are extenuating circumstances? Do you think that the "winner takes all" nature of war is a matter of right or wrong, or in a more nihilistic way; that notions of right or wrong are no longer significant?
Oct 20, 2013 5:29 PM

Sep 2013
ryoko74 said:
millie10468 said:

Matter of fact, most of my Criminology classes this semester are focused on neutralization techniques i.e. the ways people go about rationalizing their criminal acts in order to assuage their guilt before and after they commit them and I must say, it is absolutely socially fascinating the number of those points/techniques that have appeared in this topic (I'm pretty sure all the techniques are represented here) and others that haven't. Things like

Old_Raven said:
ErenxMikasa said:

I think, as I already wrote, that Annie, Berthold and Reiner have different tempers and different reactions to their crimes.

Annie sees to have no regrets at all. I dont'belive that she cried for regrets, in my opinion she was crying because she had lost, she had failed her mission.
In ten years of work as lawyer I have seen very few criminals feeling regrets for what they had done. All monsters, people without humanity? No, just men and women which didn't think that what they had done was bad. "I sold drugs, shouldn't I?", "I smashed the face of my wife's lover, shouldn't I?", "i stole a bike because I was boring, shouldn't I? " They had no sense of guilty but they were very sad about their punishment!

Berthold and Reiner are a mix of the "Denial of victim" and "Appealing to higher loyalties" theories that millie 10468 described. It's a fact that they were good friends for the other 104th squad traineers, while Annie liked to stay alone.
It's still a mystery for me why she teached Eren how to fiight...

I see what youre saying but I can only think that Annie has only been able to be seen as so much crueler because of 2 things.

1) She never forgot who she was like Ryner and she didnt have an introvert personality like Bert who rarely speaks.
2) Shes the only one whos had a chance thus far to fight against her former human comrades specifically.

Hell, shes probably the "nicest" of the 3 because she specifically spared Jean and Armin whereas Ryner in the last few chapters has been trying to kill everything but Eren.

And I think Annie was crying more because, when she revealed herself, she lost a life she was happy in, and then when she realized she couldnt beat Eren, she lost her only other life which was with her father. Annie may not have been the open-feelings type but she definitely did/does have them and she must have hated herself for being an enemy of Eren's group specifically.

As for why they taught Eren to fight... why not? They didnt know he was a Shifter, let alone the Coordinate. Hell, they all even ranked above him when they graduated so he wasnt exactly a threat.
Old_RavenOct 20, 2013 5:55 PM
Oct 21, 2013 6:50 AM

Oct 2013
dxia said:
@ryoko
On another note; as a lawyer, how do you see Levi's case? He seems to have been a notorious criminal in the past who has a propensity for "condemning the condemner (government)", because he genuinely hates some of the government's more selfish policies.

There are no evidences about it, no facts, no witnesses! My client must be discharged of every complain about this! I ask for Mr Levi a nont guilty verdict!
:-) ok, I'm kidding
Speaking seriously, Levi is surely a quite intelligent, cold blooded man. His harsh sense of humour and lack of respect for authorities makes him a kind of outcast in his hierarchical society. I don't know if he really was a criminal before joining the scouting legion, if so, he probably was a kind of terrorist. I can't imagine Levi pickpoking old ladies's bags.

On the other hand, he is now a war hero and an irreplaceable soldier, which in the world of Shingeki means that he is "too valuable to punish", and can therefore insult who he likes with near-impunity.

As terrorist he probably got some interesting and exchangeable informations to obtain both his freedom and his role in the scouting legion. I real life very few states adimit to negotiate with opponents, terrorist or mafia chiefs but I won't be too surprised to discover that secret services frequently do it.
And criminals who cooperate with justice, helping police to get some important achievment, usually get some extenuations

Are they criminals? Should they be punished? Or do the special circumstances of war warrant significant exceptions? If they do, then what do you think of the three from Hometown, if it turns out there are extenuating circumstances? Do you think that the "winner takes all" nature of war is a matter of right or wrong, or in a more nihilistic way; that notions of right or wrong are no longer significant?

I think that in war the notions of right or wrong have little meanings. It would be easy for me to declare that even war must have rules and fair play. It would be easy because I don't live in a country destroyed by war or civil war; I go to work I don't fear that somebody could bomb my hometown and I' m sure that no lord of war is waiting for me near my office. What if my life would really be at risk? Wouldn't I struggle with all my force to survive?
Oct 21, 2013 5:46 PM

Jul 2013
The irony in your comment. "They are humans with emotions and reasons." Hehe.

Seriously though, I also think the RBA are the most interesting characters. I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again.

RBA= EMA
Eren and Reiner are the powerhouses and charisma of their respective trios.
Mikasa and Annie are the silent fem fatales, the best fighters of their trios.
Armin and Bertholdt are the wimps who begin to evolve as people, albeit in different directions (Armin less human, Bert more human).
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Oct 23, 2013 3:45 AM

Sep 2013
You make them sound like a one dimensional characters, they're a lot more complex than that.

HalfMetalJacket said:

Seriously though, I also think the RBA are the most interesting characters. I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again.

RBA= EMA
Eren and Reiner are the powerhouses and charisma of their respective trios.
Mikasa and Annie are the silent fem fatales, the best fighters of their trios.
Armin and Bertholdt are the wimps who begin to evolve as people, albeit in different directions (Armin less human, Bert more human).

lol I agree, each person have his/her counterpart.
the guy who made this pic also agrees.
IshtaRinOct 23, 2013 4:12 AM
Oct 23, 2013 4:36 AM

Jul 2013
annie_leonheart said:

Isayama better tell us who won that fight. Seriously.
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Oct 23, 2013 5:50 PM

Jan 2013
If they give me a reason to be sympathetic towards them, then I probably will. But as of right now, I despise them.
Oct 23, 2013 6:12 PM

Aug 2013
Throttlee said:
BdaaN said:
On a personal level i really don't find RBA to be that interesting at all. They're just child soldiers. One with daddy issues, One with identity issues, and one who's a complete coward. Thats how i think of them at the moment, my opinion could change but i have a feeling there isn't not going to be much depth to them. Hopefully i'm suprised.

finally someone gave a reason to not like them instead of just babbling that they killed people. as if eren have never done that.

This is actually the first time I see someone giving a reason for disliking the trio on the basis of their characterizations and not just on whether or not they're good or evil. But I disagree with the assertion that they don't have much depth to them. They're not the most developed, but that's only because they haven't gotten the bulk of the spotlight yet. Characters like RBA are gold mines when it comes to intriguing storytelling, since there are so many avenues you can take with them. If you pay very close attention, you will notice that their characterizations are juxtapositions of seemingly contradictory aspects.

Reiner is guilt-ridden and suffers a mental breakdown, but to say that is the entirety of his characterization is silly. He genuinely cares for his former teammates, as evidenced by the numerous times he throws himself in harm's way to protect the others. That strength of heart juxtaposed with his almost cowardly way of dissociating himself from his actions to cope with his guilt is just so fascinating to watch. You admire his dedication and his commitment to the task at hand, and yet you absolutely loathe his attempts to deflect his complicity in enacting genocide on the human race.

Annie is the character with arguably the most depth in the story. She clearly revels in battle and enjoys it, as deduced by Eren. Just see her amusing herself by inventing creative ways to kill those poor Scouting Legion saps. Yet she's also torn by guilt and self-loathing, as evidenced when she cries over a corpse at Trost and tells Marlo that she's a shitty human being. Just that aspect alone would be intriguing enough: the seemingly contradictory juxtaposition of the sadistic and bloodthirsty young woman with the guilt-ridden little girl who loves her father. But you can also see that she's an intelligent girl who recognizes and admires the spirit and the guts that guys like Eren and Armin possess, those same qualities that she knows she lacks. An introspective villain like that is rare, and quite refreshing to see.

What's great is how subtle her characterization is. One of Isayama's weaknesses as a writer is that he can sometimes come off as heavy-handed, sometimes having other characters spell out the traits of another. But you never have that happen with Annie; you never have another character point out her traits for the reader. You can deduce them merely by paying attention, and it's done so subtly that it never feels ham-fisted.

The Colossal Titan is supposed to be this overwhelming, fear-inspiring force, a complete juggernaut of a titan unlike any other previously seen. He's big, he's bad, and he kicks down walls for shits and giggles. Which is why it's so brilliant that you would never expect that the man behind all of that destruction is a self-loathing, timid, and nervous wreck. He may be somewhat shielded from direct interaction with his victims due to his gigantic titan, but he's still tortured by what he has to do and his guilt is genuine. Admittedly he isn't as fleshed out as the others, but that should change as he gets more panel time.
Oct 23, 2013 9:13 PM
Sep 2013
Jotaro_Kujo said:
snip

Thanks for a very interesting post.

RBA have the potential to become some of the most complex characters in this series. They have a perspective unlike that of any other character we've been introduced to, since they've experienced life inside and outside the walls. They come from a place that presumably has many of the answers that people inside the walls are seeking; they have an idea of what lies ahead for humanity; they think and act based on that wider perspective.

I predict that over the next big arc, we will see Reiner and Bertholdt return to Hometown and report their failure to obtain the coordinate. In the process, the reader will get to see what Hometown knows and the situation there, and be able to evaluate RBAs actions from a bird's eye view.

I agree with your description of Annie. We haven't seen that much of her, but she is already a very complex character, and one of the most interesting ones I've come across. I hope Isayama brings her back, as she has great potential.

My in-depth analysis of Annie:

Annie's father tells her to treat the whole world as her enemy, that he is the only one that will always be there for her, and that she must return to him. He also begs her forgiveness.

She obviously loves her father and takes his words to heart, despite whatever suffering he inflicted on her in the past. At the same time, she maintains a veneer of pretense, acting as if she doesn't care as much for her filial bonds as she does. We see this pretense when she tells Eren that her hand-to-hand technique is just a pointless hobby. Actually, it is one of the only things that makes her feel truly alive and one of the only things she takes pride in, in no small part (I believe) because it was taught to her by her father.

Annie's developed such a jaded outlook on the world; she sees rottenness and corruption all around her. She sees most people as hopeless idiots; she has no qualms about and even revels in killing said idiots if it serves her goals. At the same time, she still wants to feel accepted by the world, no matter how rotten or corrupt. Her whole speech to Marlo reflects this desire; when she asks for "normal people" who can only swim with the current to be accepted, she is speaking for herself and calling herself weak. In other words, she sees herself as no better than the people she judges to be hopeless idiots. By judging them, she is indirectly judging herself. Even if it means solitude, however, Annie refuses to live a lie. Unlike the other top ten trainees, she joins the MP without hesitation. By making that choice she silently distances and judges herself; she sees the MP (who represent the corrupt status quo) as befitting of her and would consider it hypocritical for her to join the scouts (who represent radical idealism). Even if she finds herself despicable, she retains a strong sense of identity which, unlike those of the other trainees, is unchanged by Eren's fiery conviction, despite their mutual respect. In her silent, subtle, distant way, she believes in her jaded outlook as much as Eren believes in his idealistic one; she may hate herself for it, but is honest and unapologetic to herself.

Annie respects Eren and Armin because they do have the mental fortitude to struggle against the current. From a practical standpoint, such struggle makes them even bigger idiots than "normal people." Nonetheless, she respects and even admires their fortitude so deeply that they are the only two people she hesitates to fight seriously. She may once have been like them, but the same experiences that led to her jaded outlook (likely including those that her father wants to be forgiven for) also crushed her spirit. Even if she sees their struggles as futile, part of her wishes she still had their naive zeal and inner strength. For this reason, she finds herself oddly drawn to them even as she keeps her distance from the other trainees.

At the same time, the other part of her accepts who she is and believes that her duty is worth carrying out and sacrificing for (even if it means succumbing to the flow). She doesn't even seem to like Reiner or Bertholdt, but finds their cause a necessary one, and takes her "failure as a warrior" very seriously. As much as she wants to feel accepted by the world she's in, she wants to feel accepted by her other world (the one she grew up in) even more. In particular, she still wants to feel loved by her father; carrying out her mission is almost like carrying out her filial duty. The memory of her father is the force that keeps her steady; like Bertholdt, and unlike Reiner, she doesn't allow any feelings of guilt or self-deprecation to influence her priorities.

In an ironic, roundabout way, everything Annie sees as weak and stupid is reflected in herself; what she admires happens to be the opposite of who she is. She hates herself for it, but copes with her self-hatred by projecting it onto the world around her. In doing so, she subconsciously maintains her self-esteem by reminding herself that everything around her (the world) is as worthless as she believes herself to be. She goes as far as to call the techniques that her father taught her "pointless."

She doesn't lie to herself, and, as Eren notes, is terrible at lying to others. She is brutally honest and unapologetic in her opinions both of the world and of herself, and isn't as swayed by her desire for acceptance as Reiner and Bertholdt are; she even distances herself as if to say, "I am not like the rest of you. Even if I wish I could believe in the same things as you, I can't, and I won't pretend that I can." In this sense she is the strongest and most determined of her trio. Her outlook may be bleak; her father's techniques may be "pointless", but they make her who she is and she takes a grim yet fierce pride in them.

No matter how she feels, she knows who she is and what she must do. When all is said and done, she just wants her home and father back.

Edit: Writing this makes me realize how skillfully Isayama communicates Annie's personality...
dxiaOct 23, 2013 11:57 PM
Oct 24, 2013 12:47 AM

Aug 2013
Throttlee said:
BdaaN said:
On a personal level i really don't find RBA to be that interesting at all. They're just child soldiers. One with daddy issues, One with identity issues, and one who's a complete coward. Thats how i think of them at the moment, my opinion could change but i have a feeling there isn't not going to be much depth to them. Hopefully i'm suprised.

finally someone gave a reason to not like them instead of just babbling that they killed people. as if eren have never done that.

annie_leonheart said:

lol that's cute

At least we know why Eren's killed, we still don't know what RBA's objective is. They don't deserve to be cut any slack until we do.
Oct 24, 2013 12:25 PM
Sep 2012
Reiner and Annie i can consider forgiving. but seriously Bert can go f himself. i hate him especially because he said "i felt pity" when eren asked him what he felt towards him after technically leading to the killing of his mother.
Oct 24, 2013 3:36 PM

Jul 2013
Throttlee said:
ErenxMikasa said:

At least we know why Eren's killed, we still don't know what RBA's objective is. They don't deserve to be cut any slack until we do.

Sorry I won't waste my time answering this.

Agreed with Jotaro_Kujo and dxia, that's how I feel about them too.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Oct 24, 2013 7:06 PM

Sep 2013
xtremexx said:
Reiner and Annie i can consider forgiving. but seriously Bert can go f himself. i hate him especially because he said "i felt pity" when eren asked him what he felt towards him after technically leading to the killing of his mother.

I thought about it and honestly what do you expect him to do... get on his knees and beg for forgiveness? that will only end up with enraging eren even more.
he's obviously awkward and he already accepted that what he did is unforgivable so he doesn't seek forgiveness because he still thinks that what they did was necessary (when he said "someone has to do it, someone must stain their hands with blood").
i still think that it would've been better if he just kept silent when eren asked him that but like i said... he's awkward.
Oct 25, 2013 11:40 AM

Aug 2013
HalfMetalJacket said:
Throttlee said:
ErenxMikasa said:

It doesn't matter how much you want to humanize RBA, the bottom line is reasons matter.They currently lack one.

They did terrible things. They may have good reasons. Yet people are willing to go out of their way to defend them or forgive them.
Oct 25, 2013 3:47 PM

Jul 2013
ErenxMikasa said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
Throttlee said:
ErenxMikasa said:

It doesn't matter how much you want to humanize RBA, the bottom line is reasons matter.They currently lack one.

They did terrible things. They may have good reasons. Yet people are willing to go out of their way to defend them or forgive them.

I never said I'd forgive them yet. I just love how mentally wrecked they are! As villains, they are intriguing to say the least. In terms of their crimes, yeah they going find forgiveness incredibly difficult to find.
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Oct 25, 2013 9:14 PM

Aug 2013
HalfMetalJacket said:
ErenxMikasa said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
Throttlee said:
ErenxMikasa said:

I never said I'd forgive them yet. I just love how mentally wrecked they are! As villains, they are intriguing to say the least. In terms of their crimes, yeah they going find forgiveness incredibly difficult to find.

I'm glad you see it that way, I'm just saying that a lot of people in this thread are.
Oct 26, 2013 12:59 AM

Sep 2013
ErenxMikasa said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
Throttlee said:
ErenxMikasa said:

Look... Snk strong point is the setting and the mystery, but there is many hints thrown around specially concerning RBA motives.

Hints like:
1- why didn't they break wall Maria again after plugging it with a boulder using eren Titan, they could've easily done that if their motive was simply exterminating all humans, but they didn't because they found another (better) way to accomplish their goal with eren power.

2- Ymir went back and helped them even though she could've went with the scouting legion and her beloved christa, she probably know why they broke the walls and she wouldn't go back if she thought they were just murders with no good reason.

3- the fact that they continue to do what they do even though they are obviously burdened with guilt and heavy conscious like its necessary implying that its for the greater good.

4- the fact the ape Titan is not working with RBA suggest the possibility of a 3rd faction and a war going on between hometown and the ape faction. And ape transforming people inside the walls to titans like if he was recruiting them for war.

I can go on and on but it was all covered up with the theory that redeems RBA (you should read it, I know me and dxia keep telling people to read the theory but its really good).

Point is if you take RBA at face value ofc your going to hate them but if you try to look at all the hints around you might change your mind.

Tl;dr: there is many hints that suggest that RBA have a very good reason.
Oct 26, 2013 2:16 AM

Aug 2013
annie_leonheart said:
ErenxMikasa said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
Throttlee said:
ErenxMikasa said:

Look... Snk strong point is the setting and the mystery, but there is many hints thrown around specially concerning RBA motives.

Hints like:
1- why didn't they break wall Maria again after plugging it with a boulder using eren Titan, they could've easily done that if their motive was simply exterminating all humans, but they didn't because they found another (better) way to accomplish their goal with eren power.

2- Ymir went back and helped them even though she could've went with the scouting legion and her beloved christa, she probably know why they broke the walls and she wouldn't go back if she thought they were just murders with no good reason.

3- the fact that they continue to do what they do even though they are obviously burdened with guilt and heavy conscious like its necessary implying that its for the greater good.

4- the fact the ape Titan is not working with RBA suggest the possibility of a 3rd faction and a war going on between hometown and the ape faction. And ape transforming people inside the walls to titans like if he was recruiting them for war.

I can go on and on but it was all covered up with the theory that redeems RBA (you should read it, I know me and dxia keep telling people to read the theory but its really good).

Point is if you take RBA at face value ofc your going to hate them but if you try to look at all the hints around you might change your mind.

Tl;dr: there is many hints that suggest that RBA have a very good reason.

Those aren't hints, it's pure speculation based on your interpretation of their character. While I think it's likely they have a decent reason, we don't actually know.
Oct 26, 2013 3:33 PM

Sep 2013
ErenxMikasa said:

Those aren't hints, it's pure speculation based on your interpretation of their character. While I think it's likely they have a decent reason, we don't actually know.

How is it a pure speculation? almost all people in this thread think they had a good reason after watching the latest chapters, you said it yourself that they "likely" have a decent reason... how did you come with such conclusion if not for all the hints provided in the manga so far?
Even eren was asking himself "for what great cause did you bring yourself to kill people" when he was fighting annie.

The speculations about their motive came out later for the people who said that there is no way to forgive them even after knowing their reasons, we just provided the thread with a number of situations that cannot be solved without resorting to a difficult decision.

yes we don't know their reasons yet but I'm pretty sure it wasn't for the kicks.
Oct 26, 2013 6:01 PM

Aug 2013
annie_leonheart said:
ErenxMikasa said:

How is it a pure speculation? almost all people in this thread think they had a good reason after watching the latest chapters, you said it yourself that they "likely" have a decent reason... how did you come with such conclusion if not for all the hints provided in the manga so far?
Even eren was asking himself "for what great cause did you bring yourself to kill people" when he was fighting annie.

The speculations about their motive came out later for the people who said that there is no way to forgive them even after knowing their reasons, we just provided the thread with a number of situations that cannot be solved without resorting to a difficult decision.

yes we don't know their reasons yet but I'm pretty sure it wasn't for the kicks.

I said likely because I doubt Isayame would give them a bad reason, but it's not necessarily true.

But to forgive someone on the chance that they have a good reason without knowing is dumb.
Oct 27, 2013 7:02 AM

Sep 2013
Nobody said they gonna forgive them without knowing what their motive is, the real question was will you still forgive them if they had a good reason. Examples for a good reason have been mentioned before in the thread that "could" change people opinion about them and reduce the hostility that they are receiving right now.

I don't want to sound redundant so I'll stop here.

IshtaRinOct 27, 2013 7:10 AM
Oct 27, 2013 11:11 AM

Aug 2013
annie_leonheart said:
Nobody said they gonna forgive them without knowing what their motive is, the real question was will you still forgive them if they had a good reason. Examples for a good reason have been mentioned before in the thread that "could" change people opinion about them and reduce the hostility that they are receiving right now.

I don't want to sound redundant so I'll stop here.

Maybe. But people keep talking as if they know there's a good reason when they don't.
Oct 28, 2013 7:15 AM

Oct 2013
Throttlee said:
I love Eren, but does he even think? (Not gonna procceed on this since Eren is not the topic.)

I agree with you but I didn't dare to post it for first.
We should create a topic about Eren's lack of reasoning skill!
Oct 28, 2013 10:22 AM

Aug 2013
Where did we see RBA "think" again?
Oct 28, 2013 5:00 PM
Oct 2013
Im sorry but there is no justification for killing hundreds of people..for everything they have done to mankind,

Sure they must "have their reasons.." there is something happening with them in the background obviously... but sorry, they are nothing but cold blodded killers to me. Lots of people died because of this trio., Annie massacred everybody on that forest, and she havnt showed not a single little remorse.. all she did when she was
discovered is put that psycho bitch face and transform.

hell, EVERYBODY that had died on this manga since chapter 1 is thanks to them... so no.. no sympathy

still have to see whats going on with them in the future.
Oct 28, 2013 5:01 PM

Jul 2013
edseiya said:
Im sorry but there is no justification for killing hundreds of people..for everything they have done to mankind,

Sure they must "have their reasons.." obviously... but sorry, they are nothing but cold blodded killers. Lots of people died because of this trio., Annie massacred everybody on that forest, and she havnt showed not a single little remorse.. all she did when she was

hell, EVERYBODY that had died on this manga since chapter 1 is thanks to them... so no.. no sympathy

still have to see whats going on with them in the future.

They seem a tad passionate to be cold blooded...
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Oct 28, 2013 7:45 PM

Apr 2012
MikasaxEren said:
There is never a good enough reason to kill 250,000 people without trying other options first.

This.
Kim: Uh, motherfucker tryna rape me? I don't wanna give him skin rash! I wanna shut that nigga down!

Abernathy: How about a knife at least?

Kim: Yeah, you know what happens to motherfuckers carry knives? They get shot! Look, if I ever become a famous actress, I wont carry a gun. I'll hire me a do-dirt nigga, and he'll carry the gun. And when shit goes down, I'll sit back and laugh, but until that day, it's Wild West motherfucker!
Oct 28, 2013 11:03 PM

Sep 2013
edseiya said:
Annie massacred everybody on that forest, and she havnt showed not a single little remorse.. all she did when she was discovered is put that psycho bitch face and transform.

About this if you observe carefully you will see that she only killed the soldiers coming at her or the ones who got on the way of her objective. When the FT first appeared she ran past the two scouting legion members ignoring them till they decided to attack her...every other death caused by the FT followed the same pattern, I don't blame the scouting legions for attacking a Titan but in the same time FT didn't kill indiscriminately.

Edit:
ErenxMikasa said:

Hizu said:
MikasaxEren said:
There is never a good enough reason to kill 250,000 people without trying other options first.

This.

Well they changed their initial objective when they discovered eren power, you can consider that both "thinking" and "trying other options".
IshtaRinOct 28, 2013 11:28 PM
Oct 29, 2013 12:50 AM

Aug 2013
annie_leonheart said:
edseiya said:
Annie massacred everybody on that forest, and she havnt showed not a single little remorse.. all she did when she was discovered is put that psycho bitch face and transform.

About this if you observe carefully you will see that she only killed the soldiers coming at her or the ones who got on the way of her objective. When the FT first appeared she ran past the two scouting legion members ignoring them till they decided to attack her...every other death caused by the FT followed the same pattern, I don't blame the scouting legions for attacking a Titan but in the same time FT didn't kill indiscriminately.

Edit:
ErenxMikasa said:

Hizu said:
MikasaxEren said:

This.

Well they changed their initial objective when they discovered eren power, you can consider that both "thinking" and "trying other options".

That's not any more "thinking" than Eren does.
Oct 30, 2013 12:45 AM

Oct 2013
I'm willing to hear their side of the story.

I don't think anything can really justifying being the cause of the death of lots of innocent people when they breached the wall, but they don't seem like cold hearted killers. They do seem traumatized by what they've done, but only did what they did out of necessity for their goal.

IIRC they were little kids when they first breached the wall. I doubt they thought of that themselves. Obviously they are not the ones pulling the strings. I think there are much bigger threats and they have probably been manipulated somehow. Who knows it might turn out they are the good guys and humanity is the bad guys.

Overall I don't hate them until we see their side of the story. I think they are interesting characters. I wasn't really attached to anybody that was killed for their cause so I have no personal grudge either.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Attack on Titan Author upset about Pro Genocide criticism

deg - Apr 6, 2022

29 by Berry-Vodka »»
Jun 1, 8:50 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 81 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

keragamming - May 5, 2016

114 by CutieAnshin »»
Jun 1, 12:49 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 139 / Ending Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

NextUniverse - Apr 7, 2021

1871 by Berry-Vodka »»
May 29, 2:10 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 80 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

G_Spark233 - Apr 6, 2016

110 by CutieAnshin »»
May 25, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 79 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

keragamming - Mar 5, 2016

103 by CutieAnshin »»
May 24, 8:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.