Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
BECK
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 16, 2015 1:36 PM

Jun 2009
I decided to finally start watching this show since I love music and, naturally, I love music related anime. I keep reading how the Eng dub version is better than the Jab sub version but I'm not really seeing how yet. It was interesting to watch the scene with the American thugs first in English and then in Japanese.
From what I've seen for far, that Japanese version seems better.

Most of the complaints are centered around the English (or Engrish) being really bad, but that's pretty fucking par for the course when all the characters are Japanese. I really don't understand why this series is "better viewed" in English but...nonetheless, I'll stick with the English version to see why.

As usual, Greg Ayres sounds like every other character he's ever played.
loghneckbeardSep 16, 2015 1:49 PM
Apr 1, 2016 6:41 AM

Nov 2008
What an awesome anime, this is going to be a fantastic ride.
Oct 12, 2016 11:04 PM
Oct 2015
"What the fuck you bastard!" Lmfao that was great. This episode was fun as hell, I've been putting this one off forever. Glad I finally picked it up, cool show. :D
May 16, 2017 7:22 AM

Oct 2012
I was made to hit in America!
Wow OP is so catchy, too catchy xD

It's not even Engrish..
It's an actual English
Double shocku!
"Signature removed"
Apr 30, 2019 12:47 PM

Aug 2017
This was a decent first episode. We met Koyuki, his creepy photographer friend and his childhood crush; Izumi. Koyuki really caught me off guard when he protected Maho from those American gangster like that. The story was a bit all over the place sometimes. I am curious how this story will unfold in the next couple of episodes. The music scenes were animated pretty well though. Can't wait for the next episode!
Mar 26, 2021 9:13 PM
Jul 2018
pretty decent first episode, really liking the vibe and world so far and mc seems alright too. characters looking good and hope to find out more about them and see their developments as well. also, the english in this had me dying the whole time.
Feb 2, 2022 2:22 PM
Aug 2020
I love this already, reminds me of paradise kiss a lil
Apr 27, 2022 5:01 PM

Jun 2010
Nice to see some subtletey in the direction: Koyuki's sense of ennui and stagnation in the video arcade was conveyed well with few words spoken, and the way his conversation with Izumi died out into awkward silence (I guess idol pop isn't cool) the only time they're alone together implies the sexual frustration that becomes more prominent a little later when she's clearly into the older band guy instead of him.

Koyuki's mediocre friends looks like he's in his 40s which is pretty odd.

Ryuusuke really asked for that beating with the fake gun trick.
May 29, 2022 11:34 AM

Nov 2018
Animation is average, but voices don't seem to fit to characters tbh...
I hate everyone equally
Dec 2, 2022 11:04 PM
Nov 2022
muy buen primer capitulo buenisimo ya en el primer capitulo te das cuenta de que el prota es un mogolico ya le robaron a la novia en dos segundos igualmente vamos a ver como sigue
Dec 4, 2022 4:22 AM

Dec 2020
Fan of the vibe and atmosphere. Very grunge like. Excited to see whats more to come
Dec 8, 2022 2:43 PM

Jun 2021
The part about the Americans made me laugh, it looks like an adult swim anime parody.
I really liked the rock of the 90's-2000's and this series seems to be very influenced by those things so I started it, it looks like it's going to be very cool.
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Mar 29, 2023 9:52 PM
Jul 2021
I have just started watching BECK , In episode 1 ,the scene that they hang out at Mitchan's bar There is a background song along with the scene that Ryusuke asked his girlfriend to break up. 
Apr 27, 2023 10:45 PM
May 2017
Just a great episode wich introduce us so many interesting characters, i cant wait to see how they will be developed.
Jun 16, 2023 3:29 PM

Jun 2021
The gun was fake, obviously. This show couldn't have become that dark already at episode 1. Animation and art look cheap but i won't care too hard if the story is cool. The italian MTV channel already aired it in late 2006 but for me it was still a little too early to enjoy a show focused on rock music even if i was aware of its existence and of its presence of top tier list italian voice actors.
Jun 30, 2023 6:20 PM

Jan 2021
what an intro I can tell this is going to be a treat
Jul 25, 2023 9:24 PM

Nov 2017
Holy crap, I've always wanted to watch this, but back in the day, you could never track this down on DVD. This whole streaming thing really only got perfected maybe 5+ years ago, so now I got the chance to finally sit down and watch it.

And holy crap! This aged beautifully and poorly. I can already tell we're going to get a love triangle, and this must be from the 90's. Yep, last of the wild days, pure analog going into digital, right before the shit hit the fan, when arcades were still around and there wasn't the Playstation as it came to be known.

All I ever wanted was to live in this world, and it got fucking taken away because of the internet. Everything is so lame now, frickin' technology!

Ironic, no? Watchin' this fricking show I never had access to (back in the day, even if a store had this on DVD, they would've charged you $30-40 for just a few episodes, it was brutal) on the internet of all places. Whinin' 'bout the government fragile laid off and sitting here with beaucoup technology. I mean, what am I, five? Ah, but I wanted it, the wild band life on a Harley dying out on roadway 8. It's a frickin' tragedy.

Ah man, this series is bringing all those feelings back, surging, I can barely stand it! This is some sweet stuff. Before the house got brought down and it all went defunct and controlled and corporate.
Jan 11, 8:10 AM
Jun 2016
sets the stage for an interesting story with likeable characters.
Mar 7, 11:25 PM

Dec 2022
This guy's face looks like it was just photoshopped onto his head, lol.

Some of the English voice acting isn't actually too bad here, surprisingly. The foreigner hooligans at least sounded somewhat fluid in the language. Can't say the same for Ryuusuke, but it makes sense for him, since he's a Japanese native.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Beck Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Aug 18, 2008

139 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 9, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Beck Episode 23 Discussion

aero - Aug 18, 2008

42 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 9, 4:44 PM

Poll: » Beck Episode 22 Discussion

aero - Aug 18, 2008

47 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 9, 3:09 PM

Poll: » Beck Episode 21 Discussion

aero - Aug 18, 2008

40 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 9, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Beck Episode 20 Discussion

aero - Aug 18, 2008

45 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 9, 3:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.