Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 26, 2011 6:09 PM

Nov 2009
Any suggestions? I've spent the past 5 years or so watching anime, thinking manga was boring. But now that I can read manga on my phone, for some reason I am really getting into it. Read Ao no Exorcist and Deadman Wonderland to the most recent chapters.

Any recs?
Jun 26, 2011 6:20 PM

Sep 2009
Mirai Nikki, it's kinda reminds me of Deadman Wonderland.

Mahou Tsukai Kurohime is another good one.
“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence...”
Jun 26, 2011 6:23 PM

Dec 2010
I took a look at your list... and am baffled at your taste. I'll try anyways.
Let's try some action, as you seem to prefer that.

Hoshi no Samidere - Awesome shonen-like seinen. Battles, people die when they are killed, character development, it's all here. The main characters are both antiheroes, as they plan on killing their allies after saving the world, because they plan on blowing it up themselves.

Trigun Maximum - Action shots EVERYWHERE. There is a plot, a good one at that, but you're reading this for the amazing art and designs. You've already watched the show. That's like 1/8 of the story.

Beelzebub - A delinquent battle comedy with demons. It makes fun of shonen tropes while itself being a good, funny shonen. The main character isn't a chivalrous moral-spouting goody-goody, and the parodies are everywhere.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - You know how lots of animanga have bullshit powerups and resolve boosts out of nowhere? There's pretty much none of that shit here. Just about every fight is won by outsmarting, out-predicting, and better utilization of the environment. It starts off like Fist of the North Star, but it becomes more and more of its own thing. You might take a while to get used to its FABULOUSness, though.

Hellsing - So we have motherfucking Dracula as our "protagonist", and he's not your sissy vampire. Nope, he's a snarky monster and he has no qualms murdering the shit out of anybody. BADASS fighting everywhere, and Nazi Vampires Eating Babies. Yeah.
Jun 26, 2011 8:04 PM

Jun 2011
You gave 10 for Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, Fullmetal Alchemist, Tsubasa Chronicle... you can see these mangas too. Katekyo Hitman Reborn! and D.Gray Man are still a continuous manga.
Others:
Gamaran
The Breaker + New Waves or Veritas or maybe Sun Ken Rock
Berserk or Claymore or Shingeki no Kyojin
Highschool of the Dead or Cage of Eden or Gantz
Jun 26, 2011 9:08 PM

Oct 2007
Seconding Hellsing, definitely.

I strongly suggest checking out some manga by Osamu Tezuka. He's the "god of manga" after all and he made amazing stuff. A lot of his works are short as well, so they're quick reads. I'd suggest reading Apollo's Song, it's short, really great, and a good starting example of his work.

I'd also suggest strongly Dogs.

Jun 27, 2011 5:13 AM

Jun 2008
Battle Royale
Claymore
Berserk
Gantz
Hellsing
Jun 27, 2011 5:15 AM

Apr 2009
I'll second Tsubasa Chronicle- the anime maybe covers half the story. And while you're at it, read the crossover xxxHolic.

Liar Game- made by the same mangaka that did One Outs

Karneval - along the lines of anime that you like. Definitely give it a shot!
Jun 27, 2011 4:44 PM
Feb 2011
Wow dude thats a lot of 10s..

Seconding Trigun Maximum. You should probably read Trigun (first 3 volumes) first though. Those 3 were the launching platform for the anime, but its still different enough to not be boring.

also..

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind <--- Epic. Pacifism like with Trigun, only a different take. art is great
Cross Game <-- Romance sports. in that order. between "Touch" and this, i choose this.
Touch <-- Sports romance. in that order.
Maison Ikkoku <-- imo the best rom-com out there. for me this one unseated Clannad for the title.
Jun 27, 2011 10:01 PM

Jun 2011
Def try berserk
Jun 27, 2011 10:20 PM
Apr 2011
LOL... you cant' possibly give Bio - Brolly a 10.. that movie was AWFUL. LOL. I just want to let you know that you may want to try and revise your scoring for most of the animes listed. Try and think of 10 as PERFECT like it's supposed to be. You can't give everything a 10 man. I've only dished out 1 or 2 10's and most of the time its either 7's or 8's because not everything can be to your loving...

It helps people out give you better recommendations anyway.
Jun 27, 2011 10:51 PM

May 2009
WinJudasPriest said:
LOL... you cant' possibly give Bio - Brolly a 10.. that movie was AWFUL. LOL. I just want to let you know that you may want to try and revise your scoring for most of the animes listed. Try and think of 10 as PERFECT like it's supposed to be. You can't give everything a 10 man. I've only dished out 1 or 2 10's and most of the time its either 7's or 8's because not everything can be to your loving...

It helps people out give you better recommendations anyway.

He can do anything he likes with his list actually.
Jun 27, 2011 10:59 PM
Apr 2011
bergil said:

He can do anything he likes with his list actually.

Yea, that's true. You can also go fuck yourself.

See what I did there? Wasn't that really annoying of me?
Jun 27, 2011 10:59 PM

Dec 2010
Whoa there, let's calm down

More topics from this board

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

34 by JoeChip »»
57 minutes ago

» Looking for an Anime like the game "Rival Schools".

reigningslash - Apr 22

3 by JoeChip »»
1 hour ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Apr 18

9 by JoeChip »»
1 hour ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Apr 25

5 by JoeChip »»
1 hour ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

10 by JoeChip »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.