Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 11, 2022 3:21 PM
Apr 2022
Just curious, would you consider Angel beats an isekai?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 11, 2022 3:33 PM
Feb 2022
I guess, it kind of is like other isekais - you die and spawn in another world.
Oct 11, 2022 3:33 PM
Jan 2022
Ahhhh no.

Because the world is same but in Afterlife
Check Out My Profile

MAL Profile
Oct 11, 2022 3:37 PM
May 2022
PachiDD said:

Uh not really bc it’s not another world. More just reincarnation.
Feb 2021
isekai: another world. it takes place in another world, separate from the origin world. angel beats is an isekai by dictionary definition.
Dec 2021
yamai_natsugami said:
isekai: another world. it takes place in another world, separate from the origin world. angel beats is an isekai by dictionary definition.

True but it don’t feel like one 😭
Oct 11, 2022 3:51 PM
Sep 2022
Weeeeeell, I think you could say its "isekai" but an unusual one. Just, when you think of isekai the first thing that comes to your mind is some fantasy medival-like world and thats probably why some people wouldnt consider it as one
Oct 11, 2022 3:51 PM

May 2021
that is Not an isekai.
Oct 11, 2022 4:10 PM
Nov 2012
FlyingBacon365 said:
yamai_natsugami said:

that's because it released before there were solidified isekai tropes from shows like SAO
Oct 11, 2022 4:28 PM
Oct 2021
PachiDD said:

yeah, but nothing like the normal definition of isekai. I'm not saying this is better than normal Isekai or the other way around, this is just not like a normal isekai.
Oct 11, 2022 4:34 PM

Apr 2021
Technically yes, but then again so are the Sonic Movies, the Mario movie, Pokémon Legends: Arceus, etc. Isekai is a very loose term. Basically it just means another world, so by technical definition it is, but people wouldn’t consider it an isekai. Funnily enough though, it’s one of the worst not isekai’s with an ending.
Oct 11, 2022 5:23 PM
Jul 2018
Detective_Lupin said:
FlyingBacon365 said:

that's because it released before there were solidified isekai tropes from shows like SAO

there were already a good amount before that like Digimon, The Familiar of Zero: Knight of the Twin Moons, etc...
Oct 11, 2022 6:23 PM
Nov 2021
Its an isekai, just not your stereotypical fantasy harem isekai. Yet at the same time you are supposed to move on to the afterlife... so ig its more like a stage to death? Limbo? imma just continue to call it an isekai.
Oct 11, 2022 6:28 PM
Nov 2012
Refined_Otaku_ said:
Detective_Lupin said:

there were already a good amount before that like Digimon, The Familiar of Zero: Knight of the Twin Moons, etc...

Yeah but those apply to my point just the same. Isekai wasn't as much a genre and more just a descriptor until the tropes developed from isekai that gained massive popularity.
Oct 11, 2022 6:43 PM
Dec 2018
Yes. And this is one of the best isekai anime I've ever seen.
Oct 11, 2022 6:44 PM
Aug 2020
FlyingBacon365 said:
yamai_natsugami said:

bcos the concept of the world bfore and after dying is generally the same
Oct 11, 2022 6:45 PM
Oct 2020
PachiDD said:

The story takes place in a different world. However, the two worlds don’t have very big differences, I would even say that they are almost the same.

The lack of differences between worlds may be confusing, but they are still two separate worlds.

In conclusion yes, I think it is an isekai, it’s just very different from other ones.
Oct 11, 2022 7:04 PM
Mar 2021
PachiDD said:

well no, as it's life the afterworld so it ain't some isekai
Oct 11, 2022 7:06 PM
Dec 2021
Detective_Lupin said:
FlyingBacon365 said:

Lmao yeah it came before the age of isekai. 27 new isekais per season with 500 character long titles.
Oct 11, 2022 7:41 PM

Mar 2013
Yes and No. If you know what happened in the end. lmao
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Oct 11, 2022 7:46 PM
Dec 2017
yep i would see it as one and hells can also be seen as one too as in a sense its an another world where characters are adjusting to living a life there

Oct 11, 2022 7:51 PM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Detective_Lupin said:
FlyingBacon365 said:

Incorrect. You ask any veteran of anime what are some of the oldest isekais and you'd get Escaflowne, Magical Knight Rayearth, Inuyasha, Now and Then Here and There, Fushigi, YuYu Hakusho, etc.

All these were isekais well before SAO and were known as such. SAO only made isekai popular and known to newbies and casual viewers. The .Hack series was also here before SAO.
Oct 11, 2022 7:53 PM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
And no, I wouldn't consider this an isekai when talking about that genre.
Oct 11, 2022 7:55 PM
Oct 2014
kinda?..
loosely at best,
after all they're all dead and it's a kind of limbo world.
Oct 11, 2022 8:28 PM
Apr 2022
PachiDD said:

just have it as A F T E R L I F E
Oct 11, 2022 10:59 PM
Jun 2022
isn't afterlife considered as another world?
Oct 11, 2022 11:06 PM
Dec 2019
PachiDD said:

Isekai needs to meet these three criteria
-reincarnation
-transference
-summoning
Time travel, portals to a different world, or anything that doesn’t involve characters dying and going to a nee world, being summoned to a nee world or being transported to a new world, ITS NOT A ISEKAI!!!!!!!!!!!, angel beats takes place in the afterlife so it doesn’t meet the criteria
Oct 11, 2022 11:10 PM
Dec 2019
yamai_natsugami said:

Uhhhh no, dude died and now is stuck in the afterlife until he’s accepted reality for what it is and can move on appropriately , thats not a different world, its a different plane of existence,
Also criteria for isekai: reincarnation, transference, and summoning aren’t met so that doubles down on that
Oct 11, 2022 11:12 PM
Dec 2019
Triggerfish124 said:
Its an isekai, just not your stereotypical fantasy harem isekai. Yet at the same time you are supposed to move on to the afterlife... so ig its more like a stage to death? Limbo? imma just continue to call it an isekai.

You’d be wrong but, you cant force someone not to do something, so you do you dude
Oct 11, 2022 11:14 PM

Apr 2021
it's kind of an isekai i guess
Oct 11, 2022 11:17 PM
Dec 2019
Angel beats is not an isekai, you can’t fix ignorance, it is what it is, but just so y’all know a different world and different plane of existence do differ, there are aforementioned criteria for isekai plus if this was an isekai, the person who made this thread wouldn’t ask of you consider it to be one.
Oct 11, 2022 11:23 PM
Nov 2020
(15 Character limit)
YozarouOct 11, 2022 11:28 PM
Oct 11, 2022 11:23 PM

Aug 2017
Yes but also no.

They all died and went to the afterlife.
Post death.

Typical isekai would be transported to a fantasy world. So Angel Beats does not follow common troupes.

Oct 11, 2022 11:51 PM
Nov 2021
RequiemLo64 said:
Triggerfish124 said:

You’d be wrong but, you cant force someone not to do something, so you do you dude

Good thing idc what your opinion is on what I think of anime
Oct 11, 2022 11:53 PM
Dec 2019
Triggerfish124 said:
RequiemLo64 said:

Yet you replied? Sound like you do care bud, best part? everyone else can see that you care cause you can’t delete quotes, better luck next time, go touch grass
Oct 12, 2022 12:02 AM
Nov 2021
RequiemLo64 said:
Triggerfish124 said:

Yet you replied? Sound like you do care bud, best part? everyone else can see that you care cause you can’t delete quotes, better luck next time, go touch grass

You seriously have nothing better to do than try to start fights, apparently. Your first comment to me was completely unnecessary. Whether I care about your opinion or not is a different matter than it annoys me when individuals like you comment on every single person's opinion that doesn't align with yours. I do wish I hadn't responded because extra drama like this is not worth the trouble. Wasn't mature of me, but I don't claim to be mature. Instead of touching grass, I'll be going to bed. Good night sir.
Oct 12, 2022 12:12 AM
Dec 2019
Message deleted (15 characters)
Oct 12, 2022 12:15 AM
Dec 2019
Triggerfish124 said:
RequiemLo64 said:

You seriously have nothing better to do than try to start fights, apparently. Your first comment to me was completely unnecessary. Whether I care about your opinion or not is a different matter than it annoys me when individuals like you comment on every single person's opinion that doesn't align with yours. I do wish I hadn't responded because extra drama like this is not worth the trouble. Wasn't mature of me, but I don't claim to be mature. Instead of touching grass, I'll be going to bed. Good night sir.

I actually have a lot of better things i can be doing but what i do on my days off is really none fo your concern bud, you got pressed, i just replied like I'm doing now, if that annoys you, you must really hate the freedom of speech, freedom of backlash, and freedom of opinion on the regular right & next time think before you act, no use wasting a wish someone else could use right about now let when you wake up go touch grass, goodnight
Oct 12, 2022 12:24 AM

Mar 2018
If your definition of isekai is "protagonist gets transported from the real world into another", then angel beats would be an isekai.

I find that definition to be utterly useless for discussing anime though. since quite a few shows fulfill this premise, despite most people not considering them as isekai. (Angel beats is a wonderful example here)

An isekai needs to fulfill these two conditions in my definition:

1st) An Isekai has one or more characters that got transported from one world into another. Wether that be through reincarnation, summoning or something similar.

2nd) The parallel world is of a fantasy setting, losely based on videogames (mostly JRPGs).
Oct 12, 2022 1:00 AM
Dec 2019
Khalnayak2002 said:
Ahhhh no.

the afterlife is another world otherwise what would be the point of having an afterlife
Oct 12, 2022 3:34 AM
Aug 2020
the point of an isekai its the different povs of people from different worlds
in Angel Beats everyone is from earth, the people are the same you find in earth, the school is earthlike and the weapons are normal guns
Oct 12, 2022 5:15 AM
Jan 2022
Mucan said:
Khalnayak2002 said:
Ahhhh no.

the afterlife is another world otherwise what would be the point of having an afterlife

^ this guy above my reply explained it
Check Out My Profile

MAL Profile
Oct 12, 2022 6:52 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
I think the responses you got are interesting as most seem to say no in that angel beats is different to the isekai stereotype.

I'd say yes it is an isekai but that's never really the focus - They all accept it's some form of after life waiting room with no way back, rather than some fantasy land.

However none of that means it isn't isekai just becuase its not got demon lords or harem building.
But the current view of isekai is new - Digimon, Dunbine, Magic Knight ReyEarth or Western stories like Narneia, Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland - Really Zero no Tsukima is the first mainstream isekai to use modern troops - There are plenty that don't - And the genre wasn't founded in those troops either.

Angel Beats is an interesting isekai, one that deviates massively from a pattern/trend that didn't really exist so prominently yet - So while yes it probably wasn't intended as one - We can look at it retroactively as a fun alternative to your standard modern isekai story😄😉👍
Oct 12, 2022 6:58 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
RequiemLo64 said:
PachiDD said:

-reincarnation
-transference
-summoning
Time travel, portals to a different world, or anything that doesn’t involve characters dying and going to a nee world, being summoned to a nee world or being transported to a new world, ITS NOT A ISEKAI!!!!!!!!!!!, angel beats takes place in the afterlife so it doesn’t meet the criteria

Where did you get those criteria?😅

The genre starts for anime all the way back in the 80's when a young lad drives his motorbike to another world (Dunbine)

Magic Knight ReyEarth of the 90's has the characters simply moved by a flash of light.

Narnia they just step through a wardrobe, Wizard of Oz it's a tornado/dream.

And define 'Plane' as aversed to 'World' - Generally people use world rather losely, not as a technical term.

Not here to be rude or anything but would love to know where you sourced tour critiera from😅
Oct 12, 2022 9:10 AM
Dec 2019
momentie said:
RequiemLo64 said:

-reincarnation
-transference
-summoning

Where did you get those criteria?😅

The genre starts for anime all the way back in the 80's when a young lad drives his motorbike to another world (Dunbine)

Magic Knight ReyEarth of the 90's has the characters simply moved by a flash of light.

Narnia they just step through a wardrobe, Wizard of Oz it's a tornado/dream.

And define 'Plane' as aversed to 'World' - Generally people use world rather losely, not as a technical term.

Not here to be rude or anything but would love to know where you sourced tour critiera from😅

Well if you know anything about YouTube and it’s fair-use rules, theres nothing fair about them, so my source isn’t exactly there anymore, cause anything anime gotta go apparently to youtube, but to give you sort of a brief paraphrase of my source off the top of my head,

Basically isekai wasn’t as popular as it is today (anime specifically idky you’re mentioning narnia as me personally I’m keeping it anime exclusive ) but eventually the genre got an insurgence in the in the early to mid 2010’s, by “dictionary definition” there were plenty of anime that can be “considered” isekai beforehand but some were debatable or just had caveats that kept said anime from qualifying,
Exs:
Inuyasha: takes place in a different world with demons and priestesses with magic, different from what kagome’s used to, is it isekai? no it’s just kagome traveled back in time.

Angel beats: takes place in a different plane of of existence known as the afterlife, or if you really want to delve into semantics and call it a different world, it takes place in the same word albeit the afterlife is a world that exists in a higher dimension living beings can’t reach until the end of their lives, is it isekai? No! Same world, different plane of existence

Sword art online: takes place in a different world known as the virtual world for 80% of the anime, however that world exist within the same world, no death, no going to a different plane of existence, is it isekai? No, its just kirito playing a game in virtual reality.

Sidenote: i like how you used narnia and 80’s anime i didn’t account for those if they don’t have caveats then yeah I’d say they’re isekai.

Isekai, is the the unwritten rule of genres because it just became an official genre, before we’d call to fantasy or use some other existing genre as a placeholder but because we got popular anime that gave the isekai name what it is today, the rise in anime+manga in the west, and a pattern, the isekai genre now exists, again isekai has been around for a while but not in name and speaking of patterns, notice how when people think of isekai they think of anime where our MC died and had the option to, or was forced to go to a completely new world with 98% of the time it being a fantasy related world, oh and we cant forget our MC’s that just get screwed over and got a ticket to a new world with no guarantee of retuning home, all the while, not having to have died,

Exs: (including but not limited to reincarnation, transference, and summoning)

That time i got reincarnated as a slime: our MC was stabbed to death and woke up in a fantasy world as a slime.

Digimon: 7 kids get sent/ transferred to a digital world in order to save it from an evil digimon, unlike SAO, there’s no login or logout button for them, unlike angel beats, completely different world altogether, and unlike inuyasha, no guarantee to return home after being forced to become heroes.

Rising of the shield hero: Our completely alive MC reads a book and is summoned against his will to become the famous shield hero in a fantasy world

TL;DR
See the pattern? When people think of the isekai genre, they aren’t thinking of some 80’s anime or some anime that can be considered an isekai, or in your case a show/movie that can be considered to be isekai, but rather anime like mushoku tensei: jobless reincarnation, konosuba,smartphone isekai, or even the latest reincarnated as a sword, i know that wasn’t exactly brief but some anime can’t be isekai cause at the end of the day you didn’t make it so your opinion isn’t valid on any plane of existence, the creators behind said anime didn’t intend for their anime to be isekai but went the fantasy element route, and without the use of reincarnation, transference, or summoning then most people should learn the difference between the fantasy genre and the isekai genre.
Oct 12, 2022 9:18 AM

Jan 2017
RequiemLo64 said:
See the pattern?

Isekai is a subgenre of fantasy , but Isekai itself also have many subgenres. (Naroukei , Saibakukei , sekaikei...)
The criterias you listed are just cliches from a Naroukei story.
It doesn't mean that if a story doesn't have those , they are not part of the Isekai genre.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Oct 12, 2022 9:20 AM
Dec 2019
Alexioos95 said:
RequiemLo64 said:
See the pattern?

Isekai is a subgenre of fantasy , but Isekai itself also have many subgenres. (Naroukei , Saibakukei , sekaikei...)
The criterias you listed are just cliches from a Naroukei story.
It doesn't mean that if a story doesn't have those , they are not part of the Isekai genre.

Well someone did his homework (sarcasm)
Angel beats doesnt have any of the aforementioned criteria, so its not an isekai
Oct 12, 2022 9:26 AM
Nov 2021
RequiemLo64 said:
Triggerfish124 said:

I actually have a lot of better things i can be doing but what i do on my days off is really none fo your concern bud, you got pressed, i just replied like I'm doing now, if that annoys you, you must really hate the freedom of speech, freedom of backlash, and freedom of opinion on the regular right & next time think before you act, no use wasting a wish someone else could use right about now let when you wake up go touch grass, goodnight

You do realize we would never have had this argument if you hadn't commented on my post undermining my answer, right? I didn't send a comment on yours saying you're wrong. I could've sent you an essay on how although isekai do generally include death and summoning, not all 3 are required to make it an isekai. Some examples of popular isekai that do this are Overlord, which is an isekai but not once has it answered how he got there, No Game No Life, where the god of the world literally grabbed the main characters from a game and dragged them to his world, Mushoku Tensei, where the main character died but was reborn as a baby, Tanya the Evil, who died and was reborn as a baby, Tensei Shitara Slime, who was reborn as a slime in a fantasy world, My Next Life as a Villainess: All routes Lead to Doom, where she is reborn into a world that follows the rules of a romance game, and Konosuba, where the mc died and the gods - or specifically, goddess - let him reincarnate into another world. I'm not sure what you mean by transference but in some cases of this the only thing the main characters brought with them is their soul. Isekai Ojisan is a currently airing anime where the main character literally calls his trip to another world an isekai, and he didn't die, was just in a coma until apparently he defeated the demon king and came back. Most of these are given the isekai tag, so unless you disagree with the tag as a whole, then your entire opinion of what makes an isekai an isekai is different than what anime considers to be an isekai. There is nothing wrong with that, but at the same time it doesn't seem right to me for you to comment on several people's comments on why they're wrong. In either way, I don't base my opinions on things just on what anime tags things. The otome game one apparently isn't listed as one, but I still consider it one, because my definition of an isekai is where the main character is transported to another world and has no logical means of getting back.

But I digress. You're painting me out to he someone who hates freedom of speech. Am I not allowed to state my opinion? Idk what you mean by backlash, this is between you and me. Maybe you're the one going through backlash, since you replied to so many different people, but I'm only arguing with you so I don't see backlash of the majority on my part. If you truly didn't want an argument, you could have worded yourself quite differently. For example, "I disagree with you but I'm glad you see the possibility that it really isn't an isekai." Instead every single message of yours has been rude, so you're obviously not against fighting over something trivial. I won't say I haven't been rude either, but let's just come to a mutual understanding mate. I read your first message as passive aggressive and I didn't like how you specifically called me out for being wrong when I included the information that would make people not consider it an isekai, my comment if anything was as non aggressive as it could've been. If you think Angel Beats isn't an isekai, that's fine. All that matters with anime is whether you like it or not and even then people shouldn't tell you you're wrong for disliking it.
Oct 12, 2022 9:35 AM

Jan 2017
RequiemLo64 said:
Well someone did his homework (sarcasm)

I'm not the one who wrote a whole essay trying to explain that an Isekai isn't actually one tho. (Copy/pasted from Youtube at that... 0/20)
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Oct 12, 2022 9:48 AM
Dec 2019
Triggerfish124 said:
RequiemLo64 said:

You do realize we would never have had this argument if you hadn't commented on my post undermining my answer, right? I didn't send a comment on yours saying you're wrong. I could've sent you an essay on how although isekai do generally include death and summoning, not all 3 are required to make it an isekai. Some examples of popular isekai that do this are Overlord, which is an isekai but not once has it answered how he got there, No Game No Life, where the god of the world literally grabbed the main characters from a game and dragged them to his world, Mushoku Tensei, where the main character died but was reborn as a baby, Tanya the Evil, who died and was reborn as a baby, Tensei Shitara Slime, who was reborn as a slime in a fantasy world, My Next Life as a Villainess: All routes Lead to Doom, where she is reborn into a world that follows the rules of a romance game, and Konosuba, where the mc died and the gods - or specifically, goddess - let him reincarnate into another world. I'm not sure what you mean by transference but in some cases of this the only thing the main characters brought with them is their soul. Isekai Ojisan is a currently airing anime where the main character literally calls his trip to another world an isekai, and he didn't die, was just in a coma until apparently he defeated the demon king and came back. Most of these are given the isekai tag, so unless you disagree with the tag as a whole, then your entire opinion of what makes an isekai an isekai is different than what anime considers to be an isekai. There is nothing wrong with that, but at the same time it doesn't seem right to me for you to comment on several people's comments on why they're wrong. In either way, I don't base my opinions on things just on what anime tags things. The otome game one apparently isn't listed as one, but I still consider it one, because my definition of an isekai is where the main character is transported to another world and has no logical means of getting back.

But I digress. You're painting me out to he someone who hates freedom of speech. Am I not allowed to state my opinion? Idk what you mean by backlash, this is between you and me. Maybe you're the one going through backlash, since you replied to so many different people, but I'm only arguing with you so I don't see backlash of the majority on my part. If you truly didn't want an argument, you could have worded yourself quite differently. For example, "I disagree with you but I'm glad you see the possibility that it really isn't an isekai." Instead every single message of yours has been rude, so you're obviously not against fighting over something trivial. I won't say I haven't been rude either, but let's just come to a mutual understanding mate. I read your first message as passive aggressive and I didn't like how you specifically called me out for being wrong when I included the information that would make people not consider it an isekai, my comment if anything was as non aggressive as it could've been. If you think Angel Beats isn't an isekai, that's fine. All that matters with anime is whether you like it or not and even then people shouldn't tell you you're wrong for disliking it.

Yeah I don’t see myself turning on the child filters for you or anyone, keeping it 💯, isn’t rude just don’t be sensitive but i mean you got a point, this isn’t a MW3 lobby, however .com I don’t see how i was being all that rude, im still watching overlord but that would fall under transference, given ainz is sent from his video game to a fantasy world based on his game, i see nothing wrong with replying to specific, handpicked quotes that just aren’t it chief, if you do that sounds like a U problem besides its a forum, aren’t discussions, debates, and arguments that are informative the point of a forum? Or are you concerned you were picked specifically for a quote I found not it chief? Cause im not gonna lie, yours wasn’t and I decided to leave my opinion you didn’t ask for, also the point of a forum, i don’t mind having civil discussions or arguments about anime, its what I’m passionate about, and how i get my message across the board isn’t rude, again, thats a U problem, i didn’t exactly say the most grotesque things or insult you like we’re playing call of duty, i was just straight to the point and you somehow have a problem with that. But if i must I’ll speak in layman’s terms
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Explanation

Vapor_AU - Apr 27

17 by Saimatsu_Fan »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1752 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 23, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

565 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 21, 2010

388 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.