Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 13, 2021 11:45 AM
Nov 2020
Fate is a very popular and big franchise. But I couldn't get into it bcoz there were so many and I didn't know where to start. I heard Fate/Zero was the best one and had won many awards so I started watching it and it was soooo...good. A new concept about reviving old heroes/worriers and start a Battle Royale among them. Premise was simple and a goal was set from the start. But the Character Developments, Interactions (especially between Alexander♥️ and the boy), God Level animation, Fights and Backstories made it what it is today. It is very close to a Masterpiece IMO if not for the unexplained Ending (Ending didn't left me satisfied).
Immediately started watching UBW but it was not good apart from Sound and Animations. They borrowed everything from Zero and tried to make a RomCom Drama?!! Zero had a bunch of diverse characters and we got to see everyone's POVs and ideologies. UBW had only two or three and they were not even likable. They even resurrected same Saber for Waifu material!? WTF!! It was good for most people but not for me and I ended up dropping it.
So I think HF would be more or less the same as it has the same characters from UBW but I really wanted to see it for the Animation. I have heard it is the best produced Animation till date.
So drop your opinions and please don't get offended🙃 these are just my opinions, I know there are many super hardcore Fate fans.
Jul 13, 2021 11:53 AM
Jan 2021
No, complete the series first then watch the movies
Jul 13, 2021 11:56 AM
Mar 2021
Sandro8604 said:
Fate is a very popular and big franchise. But I couldn't get into it bcoz there were so many and I didn't know where to start. I heard Fate/Zero was the best one and had won many awards so I started watching it and it was soooo...good. A new concept about reviving old heroes/worriers and start a Battle Royale among them. Premise was simple and a goal was set from the start. But the Character Developments, Interactions (especially between Alexander♥️ and the boy), God Level animation, Fights and Backstories made it what it is today. It is very close to a Masterpiece IMO if not for the unexplained Ending (Ending didn't left me satisfied).
Immediately started watching UBW but it was not good apart from Sound and Animations. They borrowed everything from Zero and tried to make a RomCom Drama?!! Zero had a bunch of diverse characters and we got to see everyone's POVs and ideologies. UBW had only two or three and they were not even likable. They even resurrected same Saber for Waifu material!? WTF!! It was good for most people but not for me and I ended up dropping it.
So I think HF would be more or less the same as it has the same characters from UBW but I really wanted to see it for the Animation. I have heard it is the best produced Animation till date.
So drop your opinions and please don't get offended🙃 these are just my opinions, I know there are many super hardcore Fate fans.
Watch Ubw Than Watch The Movies
One Piece Gintama Jojos Bizzare Adventure Are My Favorite Anime
Jul 13, 2021 11:58 AM

Jul 2017
If you watched first few episodes of ubw then it's fine (the movie expects you to have watched it) thou recommend watching it full as fate stay night is original series and fate zero is prequel made after afterwards
Thou In opinion I liked ubw more just the archer vs Shiro idealogy battle beats anything in fate zero with only thing coming close is ending of Fate zero
Jul 13, 2021 12:00 PM
Oct 2020
Like others have said watch Unlimited Blade Works then the movies.

The movies have the same “start” as UBW before branching the story. So in the first movie they skip a HUGEEEE part of the beginning because they assume you’ve seen it already in Unlimited Blade Works. So skipping Unlimited Blade Works means you would be very confused.

Personally I think UBW is better than Fate/Zero. I personally rank them Heaven’s Feel > Unlimited Blade Works > Zero.

Regardless, Zero is a prequel to Unlimited Blade Works so that’s why Saber is the same, etc.
Jul 13, 2021 12:01 PM

Jul 2020
Thats stupid. Ubw didnt borrow anything. The source material for Stay night was released way before the one for zero. Before you talk do at least search it. Plus the first season of ubw is the Worst part of the ufotable anime, I think the second season is peak fiction
Jul 13, 2021 12:02 PM
Nov 2019
Sandro8604 said:
Fate is a very popular and big franchise. (...)

Short answer: You won't understand most of the events in Heaven's Feel without UBW.

Well, the thing is, Fate/stay night actually predates Fate/Zero. The original VN came out in 2004, while the LNs for Zero came out in 2006. Fate/stay night follows Shirou Emiya, and his participation in the 5th Holy Grail War. There are 3 routes in the VN, Fate (Saber's route, has no adaptation), UBW (Rin's route) and Heaven's Feel (Sakura's route). Even if they might seem like separate stories on the surface, they all serve to develop the characters and shed new light on others, and you would miss that if you watched Heaven's Feel first.

If you just want to watch more of Waver, I recommend checking out El Melloi's Case Files.
Jul 13, 2021 12:10 PM
Nov 2020
Tudor899 said:
Thats stupid. Ubw didnt borrow anything. The source material for Stay night was released way before the one for zero. Before you talk do at least search it. Plus the first season of ubw is the Worst part of the ufotable anime, I think the second season is peak fiction
I knew that Zero was prequel to UBW but never thought it was written after UBW.
Jul 13, 2021 12:11 PM

Mar 2020
No. You need to watch UBW for context around the characters. Heavens feel focuses on the characters ignored in Fate and UBW while expecting you to know who the main characters from those routes are so it glosses over them like with
none of who have their true names revealed during the route.

Jul 13, 2021 12:15 PM
Nov 2020
Loxem said:
Sandro8604 said:

Short answer: You won't understand most of the events in Heaven's Feel without UBW.

Well, the thing is, Fate/stay night actually predates Fate/Zero. The original VN came out in 2004, while the LNs for Zero came out in 2006. Fate/stay night follows Shirou Emiya, and his participation in the 5th Holy Grail War. There are 3 routes in the VN, Fate (Saber's route, has no adaptation), UBW (Rin's route) and Heaven's Feel (Sakura's route). Even if they might seem like separate stories on the surface, they all serve to develop the characters and shed new light on others, and you would miss that if you watched Heaven's Feel first.

If you just want to watch more of Waver, I recommend checking out El Melloi's Case Files.
thanks for explaining🤞.
Jul 13, 2021 12:17 PM

Aug 2020
I'd reccomend watching the movies after uve watched both fate zero and ubw
Jul 13, 2021 12:19 PM
Jun 2020
UBW first and then heaven's feel. Heaven's feel and ubw have first few episodes common, that's why study decided not to include them in movie. Instead they did a short recap of those episodes in movie's opening. So yeah in short,yes you have to watch em.
Jul 13, 2021 12:19 PM

Jun 2016
Nope you are gonna watch the entire thing.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jul 13, 2021 12:41 PM
Dec 2020
No watch ubw or the start won’t make any sense
Jul 13, 2021 12:41 PM
Dec 2020
No watch ubw or the start won’t make any sense
Jul 13, 2021 4:54 PM

May 2018
Bro ubw came out before zero. The anime adaptation of ubw came after zero but the fate stay night vn released before the fate zero light novels meaning ubw came first.

But yeah I agree ubw sucks and zero is better
⚠ This user has received numerous reports of abuse and harassment. Please report any guideline violations to MAL staff.
Jul 13, 2021 5:32 PM

Oct 2020
Sandro8604 said:
u can watch the MOVIES and UBW 1st before Zero but i didn't like UBW tbh really,, Heaven's Feel is great and Zero is better than UBW so start from the worst,, watch

UBW, thrn HF then ZERO
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Jul 13, 2021 6:18 PM
Nov 2020
Yes, you should definitely watch this after Fate/Stay Night and Fate/SN UBW. I think it definitely skips over some details that those two anime go into more so I would be important to watch all three
Jul 13, 2021 6:56 PM

May 2021
How could UBW borrow form Zero when the source material for UBW came out first? If anything it's Zero which came out later and used the same concepts as F/SN as a whole.

Anyway, it's true that F/Z is a better anime than UBW. I'd say it's alright to watch HF movies without watching UBW if you aren't too interested in what goes on in the franchise as a whole and just want to see it for the animation and fights.
Jul 14, 2021 4:00 AM

Mar 2020
Sandro8604 said:
Fate/Stay Night literally came out before Fate/Zero, Fate/Zero is a prequel about Saber in the past grail war and how she fell to the level of self-hatred she has in the Fate route. The reason that they do not focus on all the character's ideologies is because:
A: Not everyone has one in real life or in the grail war. Even Zero has characters with no ideologies (Rin's father, Kariya, even Waver all have no real ideology and fight for personal reasons like finding the root, saving Sakura or to earn people's respect)
B: Its based off a VN with 3 different routes, different characters are explored in different routes.

Also, UBW is literally about the conflict between Shirou and Archer's ideologies, don't pretend its all just random fights with no ideological throughline just because Kojiro never explains his stance on abortion or some shit.

PS - How is Zero's ending unexpected and unsatisfying. from the start we know that the 4th grail war ended in tragedy, that Sakura is never saved, Gilgamesh and Kirei win and Saber begins to believe she never should have become king at all. The point of Zero is seeing what lead up all that.

Jul 14, 2021 4:11 AM
Jun 2021
Loxem said:
Sandro8604 said:

Uhmmmmm. Saber’s route does have an adaptation........ Fate/Stay Nigjt (2004)
Jul 14, 2021 4:13 AM
Jun 2021
epicpunnyname said:
Sandro8604 said:
Fate/Stay Night literally came out before Fate/Zero, Fate/Zero is a prequel about Saber in the past grail war and how she fell to the level of self-hatred she has in the Fate route. The reason that they do not focus on all the character's ideologies is because:
A: Not everyone has one in real life or in the grail war. Even Zero has characters with no ideologies (Rin's father, Kariya, even Waver all have no real ideology and fight for personal reasons like finding the root, saving Sakura or to earn people's respect)
B: Its based off a VN with 3 different routes, different characters are explored in different routes.

Also, UBW is literally about the conflict between Shirou and Archer's ideologies, don't pretend its all just random fights with no ideological throughline just because Kojiro never explains his stance on abortion or some shit.

PS - How is Zero's ending unexpected and unsatisfying. from the start we know that the 4th grail war ended in tragedy, that Sakura is never saved, Gilgamesh and Kirei win and Saber begins to believe she never should have become king at all. The point of Zero is seeing what lead up all that.

Rin’s father does have an idealogie........
Jul 14, 2021 4:15 AM

Mar 2020
goldenONX said:
epicpunnyname said:

What? Its not finding the route, that's an academic thing for mages. If you say its the Tohsaka crest of "Always Elegant" then by definition Rin has it too.

Jul 14, 2021 4:17 AM
Jun 2021
epicpunnyname said:
goldenONX said:

What? Its not finding the route, that's an academic thing for mages. If you say its the Tohsaka crest of "Always Elegant" then by definition Rin has it too.

He wants to summon “the carrot”. (That’s how it got translated on my subtitles). It gets summoned when all servants die in the war, so his initial plan was to win with Gilgamesh and make him commit suicide with a command spell
Jul 14, 2021 4:19 AM

Mar 2020
goldenONX said:
epicpunnyname said:

He wants to summon “the carrot”. (That’s how it got translated on my subtitles). It gets summoned when all servants die in the war, so his initial plan was to win with Gilgamesh and make him commit suicide with a command spell
You mean to access the root, which as I said is not an ideology, its an academic thing for mages. They want to see the root of all magical energy in the world to understand magic better.

Jul 14, 2021 4:20 AM
Jun 2021
epicpunnyname said:
goldenONX said:

You mean to access the root, which as I said is not an ideology, its an academic thing for mages. They want to see the root of all magic in the world, almost every mage wants to.

Well it is what he wants to do so it’s prett my much his ideology
Jul 14, 2021 4:21 AM

Mar 2020
goldenONX said:
epicpunnyname said:
You mean to access the root, which as I said is not an ideology, its an academic thing for mages. They want to see the root of all magic in the world, almost every mage wants to.

Then every character in Fate/Stay Night has an ideology because they all have motivations

Jul 14, 2021 4:23 AM
Jun 2021
epicpunnyname said:
goldenONX said:

Then every character in Fate/Stay Night has an ideology because they all have motivations

Sakura was forced into the war and doesn’t have one. Shirou entered the war by “coincidence” and only wanted to end it when he heard that the 4th war was the cause of the tragedy 10 years ago.
Jul 14, 2021 4:42 AM

Mar 2020
goldenONX said:
epicpunnyname said:

Sakura was forced into the war and doesn’t have one. Shirou entered the war by “coincidence” and only wanted to end it when he heard that the 4th war was the cause of the tragedy 10 years ago.

Shirou - To be a hero of justice (Fate),
(UBW), Protect
(HF)
Sakura -

Rin - To do her duty as the Tohsaka heir and win the grail
Shinji - To prove that he is better than everyone else and that

Illya -

Kirei - To find out why he is the way he is
Zouken -

Caster's master
- To make Caster happy
Caster
-

Lancer Cu Cuchailan - To have a valiant fight to the death
Saber
-

Archer
- kill Shirou Emiya
, prove Shirou's ideals wrong
Assasin Kojiro - I'll give you this one, he just kind of was just put there because there needed to be an assassin this grail war

Rider
- To protect
no matter the cost
Berserker Hercules - Too crazy to remember it

Every Fate character has something they want - which by your logic is an ideology

Sorry if I seem like an ass about this
EpiccgaymerJul 14, 2021 7:54 AM

Jul 14, 2021 10:45 AM
Jul 2021
Bro wait if you watched anyone (Fate/stay Night or Fate/stay Night Unlimited Blade works) so you can easily understand the storyline of Fate/stay Night Heaven feels
But there are different ending in each Fate series
Jul 14, 2021 8:13 PM
Nov 2020
watch em whenever you want you just need to have watched fate/zero first you can watch ubw honestly i recommend you do before watching the movies just for some stuff that heavens feel spoils for ubw but up to you
Jul 24, 2021 4:02 PM

Apr 2020
Sandro8604 said:

Your opinions are stupid. UBW has some of the most in depth philosophy ever explored. FSN Archer alone has more depth than any character in Fate/Zero. Fate/Zero had some of the most shallow characters. The motivations were not explored at all. FSN UBW explored Archer's motivations in depth. It was fantastic. His plot twist identity, the red herrings and clues were all built up well. Fate Zero had some of the blandest plot twists, most boring build up, no tension, the fights and world building were horrible.

More topics from this board

» Is it even rape?

SwagsOnB - Sep 1, 2023

33 by Bolona07 »»
Yesterday, 10:22 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Movie: Heaven's Feel - I. Presage Flower Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

sirhcnil - Oct 14, 2017

500 by TheFelipex »»
Apr 16, 4:43 PM

» Just casual discussion

Animo_san - Oct 4, 2023

10 by Rezete_01 »»
Oct 7, 2023 6:52 AM

» Can I start with this

Homura24 - Jun 25, 2022

46 by Epiccgaymer »»
Jun 28, 2022 2:39 AM

» Is it ok to watch Fate/Zero and then this trilogy? ( 1 2 )

nbnt - May 22, 2022

86 by pepre »»
May 24, 2022 4:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.