Forum Settings
Forums

Do you read anime reviews and how much do you trust the information in them in general?

New
11 hours ago

Apr 2012
Do you read any anime reviews, users or professional, from famous bloggers and journalists? And how much do you trust such sources of information about animanga in general? Especially if you've watched the show yourself and may or not agree with the author's opinion. For example, as for me, I always try to rely primarily on my own opinion, formed by what I myself have seen. Although I can often admit some kind of opinion different from mine, even at least the possibility of it, if I am well acquainted with the author and have some trust in them. I mean, I don’t want to blindly believe in authorities, especially in controversial and non-obvious things, but I also don’t want to close myself off and wishful thinking no less.
11 hours ago

Feb 2020
Somewhat often (mostly MAL reviews), but I don't usually trust them too much.
11 hours ago

Oct 2024
I don't read reviews, not even synopsis. I go into an anime knowing only the title and cover photo here on MAL (or Anilist).
𝔰𝔒𝔱 π”Ÿπ”Ά β„Œπ”’π”―π”―π”°π” π”₯𝔒𝔯𝔦𝔫                                  
11 hours ago

Jul 2021
no, I dont feel the need to. Anime episode is 20 minutes so I can just give something a try and I dont need a review after I finish a series.
11 hours ago

Nov 2016
Depends on the score usually. If it's <= 7 then I'll usually read a couple of reviews first
11 hours ago

Oct 2013
I don't care how famous they are, there's always going to be some amount of bias in someones review, so I'm not going to just blindly believe them. The only time I pay them any real attention to reviews is if they contain actually useful information or at the very least info that's relevant to me. Like how I was already iffy about the new Joker because of my bias against musicals and then I saw more and more about how many musical numbers there actually were in it. And, yeah, that swayed me waaay more than any number score alone or some random internet guy just ranting about how shit it was could have.
FanofAction11 hours ago
11 hours ago

Sep 2018
I like forming my own opinions on anime myself rather than pushing mal reviews and scores as my gospel. I generally have more faith though in reviews by people with similar views with me like ecchi fans
10 hours ago

Sep 2016
Rarely, most reviews are boring and therefore not worth reading, I only like funny reviews.
10 hours ago

Nov 2011
I just watch the Opening, PV and maybe the synopsis. if it looks fun, i'll watch it regardless of rating.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
10 hours ago
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Reviews are pointless since entertainment is mostly subjective shit.
10 hours ago

Sep 2007
I rarely read reviews, but cane sometimes be insightful when do researching to see if its something I'll like or enjoy before picking up something new to watch.
9 hours ago

Sep 2018
No point reading reviews before watching, since everyone's taste is different.

I do like reading reviews after watching, to reinforce my opinion. Positive reviews are usually boring, whereas negative reviews can be interesting when I want to see an anime I hated getting bashed. Or when they're about an anime I did like but less than expected, and I want to know the opinions of those who had issues with it.
9 hours ago

Oct 2022
I write reviews. Episode reviews I've done the most of; and some Completion reviews.
I also read a lot of reviews; and listen to reviews on YT (down to just 1 creator tho)
I don't use other's opinions to decide anything; I just like criticism and criticizing things is part of critical thinking; and if something worked out well I'm just as happy to tell people why. What other reviewers notice always seems to differ from what I notice, so I have some motivation to point out glaringly obvious things. The purpose of the review isn't for me to sway someone's viewing decision, it's to point out things about the show and explain why it's good or not based on those things. If they never noticed it before, they might discuss it, or go back and rewatch an episode.
Most of us who write them just like to write. And try our way at humor or sarcasm or to vent an explosive rage (as I did with Frieren) about an anime.
It's a lot more fun than talking about fuckin politics....
9 hours ago

Jul 2013
I don't even pay attention to anime reviews. They are totally irrelevant. For obvious reasons. Why would you care about someone else's opinion on a totally subjective matter?
8 hours ago
Feb 2022
I don't read them. Everyone have different taste.
8 hours ago

Jul 2024
Yes , I do .
Normally I take their opinions with a grain of salt and as a suggestion.
What you see is what you get , Sorry my English is not the best .
8 hours ago
May 2016
I read reviews. When I like something, cartoon, movie, series, I read the positive reviews and when I don't like something I read the negative reviews.
7 hours ago

Nov 2015
Sometimes I'll skim through reviews just to get a gist of what is expected. Even negative reviews don't deter as I would like to see it for myself.
7 hours ago

Feb 2024
Before I add a show to my plans, I read the description, look at the rating and read the reviews, usually 1 positive, 1 mixed, 1 negative

I think this is the right approach, a picture is formed in my head of what this show will be about and whether it is worth my attention.

The only time I look only at the rating is hentai. If the score is crap, then hentai will most likely be crap.
6 hours ago

Feb 2021
Sometimes I read them, they help me to choose what anime to watch in difficult situations.
5 hours ago

May 2018
I like reading them after I've finished a series... mostly from here on MAL or on YouTube in video essay format. I couldn't say whether or not I "trust" them, precisely because I don't bother to put much weight on them. They're just opinions, and sometimes it's fun to read those opinions.
can't yuck my yum

4 hours ago
Jul 2024
THEM have always been pretty reliable, but can be quite slow with new stuff. They wait until a show is complete, which is actually a solid policy. I had done a couple on Crunchy, but we all KNOW the fate of the Reviews over there. <Sigh>
3 hours ago

Jul 2021
I read MAL reviews. I don't follow any user in particular, though.

I don't read/watch "professional" reviews, but that's mainly because I just haven't found one whose style and tastes I like. Not that I'm that interested in looking for one.

It's just interesting to see what people think, in each of the Recommended/Mixed/Not-recommended categories. And there are rare cases where I enjoy the writing or the humor.

I don't "trust" them, per se, but I guess I do trust that the review is what the reviewer's actually experienced and felt. I treat them as something to keep in mind.

They can be useful in cases where it's hard to get a sense of what this thing really is. I can sometimes find out about the subject matter, any red flags, some context and discourse surrounding the anime, what other anime it's very similar to, etc.
3 hours ago

Jun 2024
I'd read and watch reviews for fun or when I'm bored, but that's about it.
3 hours ago

Mar 2021
No I don't really care what reviews say. It's not like it costs anything to watch a show and then just drop it if I don't want to watch any more. Descriptions are more than enough.
β˜…γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»β˜…
If you wish to treat this incident as our nation’s scheme, that is fine by me. History is written by the victors. All of your false accusations will soon be erased.
β˜…γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»β˜…

2 hours ago
Jul 2022
I follow a couple people on Instagram that post anime content so if it's not already on my list I'll add it. I use mal reviews only when I'm trying to decide on a score for an anime and I'm stuck between two scores since it helps me reflect and see if I agree on certain points. Besides that I usually just add an anime to my list if one of my friends watched/suggest it and eventually I might get to it.
2 hours ago

May 2024
I do read reviews but I make strong efforts to ensure I do not give into bias.
A person who leaves a review after finishing a whole show has more credibility than someone who pulled out at the 3rd or 4th episode.

I am an active reviewer myself (mostly manga) and it always makes more sense to leave an opinion after reading a fair amount of material
I'm new!
1 hour ago

Jul 2024
I Like Trusting my own instincts and diving in without prior reviews keeps the experience fresh and surprising. Plus, this approach lets me form my own opinions without being influenced by others' perspectives.
With me It’s all about enjoying the journey and discovering those hidden gems on my own.. This goes for Asian dramas, tv shows and Hollywood movies, mystery novels as well.
1 hour ago

Jul 2024
Reply to Aoi_hana
I don't read reviews, not even synopsis. I go into an anime knowing only the title and cover photo here on MAL (or Anilist).
@Aoi_hana that's following the same policy as I do. Glad to see there're anime fans just like me.
1 hour ago

Aug 2020
Reply to Aoi_hana
@Aoi_hana Sometimes I glance at reviews but this is exactly what I like to do too.

More topics from this board

» Anime that age well

Kirika_Madeleine - Oct 15

32 by StewedBeefHaunch »»
52 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7450 by Hikinekomori »»
54 minutes ago

» Do you miss your old waifu?

Zakatsuki_ - 6 hours ago

14 by SushiSuperLover »»
54 minutes ago

Poll: » Anime Hair Vents

WaffleMaster89 - Today

16 by RainyEvenings »»
1 hour ago

» Do you think Male targeted romance/manga are good.

Lol1268 - Oct 11

20 by SgtBateMan »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.