Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 18, 8:48 PM
Oct 2020
Looking for a good GL series to watch! Looking for stuff without over the top fanservice or iffy subjects (like non-con)
Yesterday, 8:05 AM

Jan 2023
Some of my favorite gl anime:
Whispered Words
Sakura Trick
Yuru Yuri (it is mainly a comedy, but there are several girls with genuine feelings for other girls in the main cast, and some cute moments)
Whisper Me a Love Song (the last two episodes have not aired yet)

I'll add some series who do not have the 'girls love' tag but still have decent yuri moments and characters (it's just that it is not necessarily the main focus of the show, but it's there):
If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die
The Demon Girl Next Door
Soul Eater NOT!
Asteroid in Love
Ms. Vampire who lives in my neighborhood.
Yesterday, 8:07 AM

Feb 2024
Bloom into You?

Or maybe Liz and the Blue Bird, but it's a bit too mild for real GL, yet good...
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Yesterday, 10:50 AM
Oct 2020
Reply to LoveYourSmile
Bloom into You?

Or maybe Liz and the Blue Bird, but it's a bit too mild for real GL, yet good...
@LoveYourSmile Ooh thank you! I forgot about Bloom Into You, I wanted to check it out a while ago!
Yesterday, 10:52 AM
Oct 2020
Reply to MeguSae38
Some of my favorite gl anime:
Whispered Words
Sakura Trick
Yuru Yuri (it is mainly a comedy, but there are several girls with genuine feelings for other girls in the main cast, and some cute moments)
Whisper Me a Love Song (the last two episodes have not aired yet)

I'll add some series who do not have the 'girls love' tag but still have decent yuri moments and characters (it's just that it is not necessarily the main focus of the show, but it's there):
If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die
The Demon Girl Next Door
Soul Eater NOT!
Asteroid in Love
Ms. Vampire who lives in my neighborhood.
@MeguSae38 Thank you sm!!
Yesterday, 2:14 PM

Jan 2022
Adachi and Shimamura

Sakura Trick

Kase-san and Morning Glories

Whisper Me a Love Song

Aoi Hana

Citrus

Fragtime

Maria Watches Over Us

Liz and the Blue Bird

Maria Holic

Yuru Yuri
Yesterday, 2:22 PM

Oct 2014
Maria-sama ga Miteru -- Quite platonic but the relationships are emotionally deep. Four seasons* which is a rarity (lots of yuri manga get 1 season adaptation and then you're left reading the manga for more). Four seasons just means if it's something you end up liking a lot then it's awesome to get three more installments of it. Full disclosure: this is my fav anime (all anime, not just yuri). Fyi the names and titles of the student council officers is confusing for a few episodes, this chart helps with that.

*Actually three seasons with a set of five, 1-hour-long OVA's between S2 and S4 that for all intents and purpose makes it S3.

+1 Liz to Aoi Tori though I'd recommend watching S1 and S2 of the parent show first. There's even some yuri baiting (overblown IMO) in the main show so you might as well do it "in order". Sure it's possible to watch Liz standalone but the two mc's have a bit of a history from S2 of Hibike! so you'd be going in without that (they do try to explain with flashbacks in Liz but, whatever...)

+1 Oniisama e -- This is an epic show (which I rated 9) but best be warned it's not for the faint of heart -- there's some serious drama with bullying, drugs, suicide, obsession/possessiveness, self-starvation and more). Don't know if that's what you'd include in your "iffy" criteria so thought I'd at least fire off a warning flare.

Shoujo Kakumei Utena -- Although this doesn't have the GL tag it was probably discussed when they were assigning tags (it's more of a protective relationship). That said it has a couple things like physical abuse and incest which I'll mention since Utena would've been suggested by other posters (probably). Besides, Utena's been called the Evangelion for shoujo so it's one of those that should be on everyone's anime bucket list (even if you end up NOT being blown over by it, just like Evangelion).

+1 Asagao to Kase-san -- Probably my vote for best 1st yuri: short & well made. Not too platonic (Mari-sama ga Miteru) and not overt lip mashing (Sakura Trick) but a nice in-between. Also nice emotional finish.

+1 Aoi Hana -- Along with Kase-san one of the more realistic ones. Also one season only, though :(

+1 Sasameki Koto (Whispered Words) -- Good comedy. Also unrequited yuri example. Another single season one :(

Strawberry Panic -- A staple yuri. Definitely has its nice moments and also more than one couple.

Blue Drop: Tenshi-tachi no Gikyoku -- Complicated relationship that is nicely handled. Also some cool sci-fi elements. Ending was a downer, though :(

Simoun -- Sci-fi again (although closer to magic than actual tech). Huge cast with lots of relationships to figure out. Also downer of an ending (I thought).

Mai-MiME -- More for the action/magic-monster-summoning crowd but still more than watchable IMO. Fyi there is a spin-off series called Mai-Otome also 26 episodes long that uses the same character designs but with different names, roles and setting (fantasy). If you like the first then the spin-off is similar fare (I scored Otome a 6 and MiME a 7).

El Cazador de la Bruja -- Not tagged GL but again maybe only by a hair. Interesting setting (Mexico) and mystery element.

8oomerYesterday, 2:55 PM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Yesterday, 3:15 PM

Feb 2024
@8oomer With such, um, brave suggestions as Utena and Dear Brother for GL, I can't stand the temptation and suggest Nana - it's not GL ofc, but my personal fav wannabe-GL.
Yesterday, 4:05 PM

Oct 2014
Reply to LoveYourSmile
@8oomer With such, um, brave suggestions as Utena and Dear Brother for GL, I can't stand the temptation and suggest Nana - it's not GL ofc, but my personal fav wannabe-GL.
@LoveYourSmile

Oh Jeez I thought the same thing when watching Nana the two Nana's would've made for a perfect yuri couple. I mean, aside from Yasu I think the guys in the show were jerks anyway.

Yuri or yuri-wannabe aside, Nana is another bucket list anime anyway ('cause Ai Yazawa's character designs and costuming is friggin' gorgeous). Plus the music like you mentioned. And if Nana's a bit long for some then just go for Paradise Kiss also by Yazawa (though no yuri, even hinted, in that one).
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

12 hours ago

Feb 2024
8oomer said:
I mean, aside from Yasu I think the guys in the show were jerks anyway.

The only guy I like there was Shin.

More topics from this board

» What anime would watch, when you're blazed af

dannyfrogg - Yesterday

4 by Jackof-allspades »»
1 hour ago

» Recommend me an anime similar to Nagi no Asukara,please

Mione48 - Jul 10

10 by SomeNewGuy »»
4 hours ago

» I am looking for some great adventure anime

Charuwin - Jul 18

5 by SomeNewGuy »»
4 hours ago

» LN recommendation

nishant0 - Jul 17

6 by SomeNewGuy »»
4 hours ago

» What would you recommend to a non-anime/manga fan?

emryuu - Yesterday

9 by mo_lave »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.