Forum Settings
Forums
Ajin: Demi-Human
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 4, 9:24 AM
May 2016
Why do I never see this manga in discussions of being one of the greatest? It has one of the best villains of all time, has an amazing action progression and realistic battles. Very witty thinking and no dumb protagonist for once. The fights are so thrilling and the story itself is really well done and doesn’t feel rushed. The ending is satisfying and characters/side characters are likable. I just don’t understand why this isn’t rated as highly or respected as much as the top tier manga on this site. Maybe coz the anime adaptation wasn’t a huge success, I guess?
Jan 4, 11:43 AM
Jul 2019
Manga had issues towards the end and was generally not very well written depth wise but still pretty good. And pretty good isn’t enough to be included in discussions about peak stuff
Jan 4, 12:19 PM
May 2016
WalterBlack59 said:
Manga had issues towards the end and was generally not very well written depth wise but still pretty good. And pretty good isn’t enough to be included in discussions about peak stuff

Imo, the end was still just as good as the rest of the series. Never a dull moment to me and it was exciting to read from top to bottom with really distinct art style. I guess it’s a personal thing that doesn’t resonate with the majority
Jan 4, 12:29 PM
Jul 2019
Bartolomeo_ said:
WalterBlack59 said:

Imo, the end was still just as good as the rest of the series. Never a dull moment to me and it was exciting to read from top to bottom with really distinct art style. I guess it’s a personal thing that doesn’t resonate with the majority

There was just something missing about the whole situation and characters it kinda ended with unanswered stuff. Ajin does nothing wrong or bad it’s just lacking in some aspects that’s why many people forget to talk about it
Jan 4, 1:37 PM

Jun 2023
I recently finished Ajin less than 2 months ago, after being on hold for over a year and half. Reading past Volume 2 definitely made me enjoy and get really engaged with the story and the combat a lot, to the point I binged the rest of like 70 chapters in less than 24 hours, and it's not weekly so it's around ~35 pages each.

It was a really fun and enjoyable ride, the thing that stood out the most was how the author presented these concepts of 1 man vs a lot of heavily armed/OP men battles, whilst not feeling unrealistic or too over the top (although that's up for debate I suppose).

However after finishing I realized the overall plot points or character development weren't "rich". It was really straight forward without any thought-provoking ideas as it felt to me. If I were to sum the whole manga up in a comparison, it's like Chainsaw Man meets Tokyo Ghoul/Parasyte esque vibe.

Overall I really really enjoyed reading it and I'm sure I'll have as good an experience rereading it in the future if not better than the initial read!

"To the boy who once sought freedom, goodbye." 🕊️
Jan 4, 3:08 PM
Feb 2018
WalterBlack59 said:

I feel like it can get deep if you stop to ponder some of the points it makes more subtly. I wish it had gone on longer because I feel like it had a lot left to say, but I think maybe the mangaka lost steam to keep working on it. And Satou's a really hard enemy to write a satisfying end for, too, so though it probably could have ended better, I think it did alright.

Speaking of the writing, though, I'm always impressed how the mangaka managed to wrap up most of the story threads at the end without completely dropping the setup the original writer came up with in volume 1.
Jan 4, 8:00 PM
Mar 2021
somewhat generic, which isn’t bad. It’s good, and that’s about it
Jan 4, 8:43 PM
Oct 2022
origami10 said:
WalterBlack59 said:

I feel like it can get deep if you stop to ponder some of the points it makes more subtly. I wish it had gone on longer because I feel like it had a lot left to say, but I think maybe the mangaka lost steam to keep working on it. And Satou's a really hard enemy to write a satisfying end for, too, so though it probably could have ended better, I think it did alright.

Speaking of the writing, though, I'm always impressed how the mangaka managed to wrap up most of the story threads at the end without completely dropping the setup the original writer came up with in volume 1.

there was 2 writers? also something that made me super surprised was the only thing this dude made before was loli hentai one-shot stuff. how could someone who only did that, make this??
Jan 4, 10:25 PM
Dec 2023
Fairly broad, which isn't negative. It's positive, and that's essentially the extent of it.
Jan 5, 6:12 AM
May 2016
oogaboogascary said:
origami10 said:

there was 2 writers? also something that made me super surprised was the only thing this dude made before was loli hentai one-shot stuff. how could someone who only did that, make this??

There was an original writer who gave up after volume 1 and then Gamon the artist took over and completed the story all on his own which is very impressive. He’s set to start a new manga called The Pool next month
Jan 5, 9:21 AM
Oct 2022
Bartolomeo_ said:
oogaboogascary said:

There was an original writer who gave up after volume 1 and then Gamon the artist took over and completed the story all on his own which is very impressive. He’s set to start a new manga called The Pool next month

ohh thanks for informing me :)
Jan 7, 3:16 AM
Sep 2022
I read it a few months back and it kinda sucked tbh
Jan 7, 4:28 AM
May 2016
Chufal said:

Yikes, I definitely disagree but to each their own
Jan 7, 4:33 AM
Sep 2022
Bartolomeo_ said:
Chufal said:

Yikes, I definitely disagree but to each their own

yeah I get why people enjoy it and I still enjoyed it enough to finish it! just a lot of the plot was solved in deus ex machina ways and the writing was kinda weak imo so it didn't really stick for me
Jan 8, 6:10 PM
Dec 2023
Bartolomeo_ said:
Why do I never see this manga in discussions of being one of the greatest? It has one of the best villains of all time, has an amazing action progression and realistic battles. Very witty thinking and no dumb protagonist for once. The fights are so thrilling and the story itself is really well done and doesn’t feel rushed. The ending is satisfying and characters/side characters are likable. I just don’t understand why this isn’t rated as highly or respected as much as the top tier manga on this site. Maybe coz the anime adaptation wasn’t a huge success, I guess?

The manga left behind many things that could've helped the story to be way more interesting. The ajins, the protagonists (as the title itself says) aren't that important to the story since it circles around the protagonist, the deuteragonist, the antagonist and his helper, and even if that is enough for you it was just a civil war caused by people with overnatural powers.

I couldn't understand why the ending was so plain and why it felt so empty. The truck made no sense. And i disliked the fact that the powers ajin originally had were left behind. Imagine how useful the screech could have been.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ajin Chapter 86 Discussion

G_Spark233 - Feb 4, 2021

35 by Major_Gilbert »»
Feb 21, 9:35 PM

Poll: » Ajin Chapter 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2014

10 by DomLucon »»
Feb 16, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Ajin Chapter 18 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2014

8 by DomLucon »»
Feb 16, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Ajin Chapter 42 Discussion

G_Spark233 - Aug 6, 2016

16 by GavrocheN7 »»
Jan 16, 6:59 AM

Poll: » Ajin Chapter 27 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2015

14 by GavrocheN7 »»
Jan 15, 7:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.