Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 22, 2022 11:12 AM

Jul 2019
I've already read the whole manga and also watched 2 movies, and it's the golden age again and again and so on, definitely not gonna watch 2016 anime
y'all should watch haibane renmei
Oct 22, 2022 11:16 AM

Feb 2019
quiuzus said:
I've already read the whole manga and also watched 2 movies, and it's the golden age again and again and so on, definitely not gonna watch 2016 anime

I’d say keep watching
Oct 22, 2022 11:21 AM
May 2022
im in the same boat, am caught up to the manga and am only hate watching this to see the new content we’ve been promised. i will continue watching for a little bit longer but i wouldn’t blame anyone for stopping
Oct 22, 2022 12:32 PM
Jun 2021
anime watcher here, ngl this looks good to me besides the cgi I like how story goes. but I'm surprised this show is not included in r/anime karma ranking
Oct 22, 2022 2:09 PM
Jul 2021
I am only watching it as a up to date manga reader because I heard the more support for this the more likely we are to get a full adaptation not sure how true that is.
Oct 22, 2022 5:01 PM

Feb 2014
quiuzus said:

I'd say you shouldn't. They just took the movies and made them worse by cutting details, making everything way more rushed than it alredy was in the movies. I'm simply continuing to watch due to sheer curiosity of knowing how bad it'll get.
Oct 22, 2022 5:14 PM

Jul 2012
theMario3721 said:
quiuzus said:

I'd say you shouldn't. They just took the movies and made them worse by cutting details, making everything way more rushed than it alredy was in the movies. I'm simply continuing to watch due to sheer curiosity of knowing how bad it'll get.

That's just not true. While they are shortening some few scenes (still giving all background on them in one way or another), nothing of value is missing other than maybe a little body language nuance with Charlotte in episode 3 (a little saving grace for her already lacking characterization in the movie series, which is the only reason why it's even noticeable), and a minor scene displaying the party for a few seconds (for a little more context, but that was already basically omitted in the first movie as is compared to the manga, so not really a big deal).

In counterpart, they added several corrections to many scenes so far that made the dated animation (particularly character expressions, shaky blurry cuts and background blending) more watchable and actually discernable. And as of this fourth episode, we are finally seeing extended cuts with new content, such as the scene with Caska in the cave.

This by default is already the superior version for having the Bonfire of Dreams alone anyway (as long as it doesn't trim the meat of anything important in the future, that is), I'm watching both versions side by side every week and what you are saying about it being more rushed is innacurate. The first movie was already flawed by default in this regard, and the subsequent films faired a bit better than it, progressively (while still also missing quite a bit of content).
Oct 22, 2022 6:11 PM
Jun 2022
sapphicrobin said:
im in the same boat, am caught up to the manga and am only hate watching this to see the new content we’ve been promised. i will continue watching for a little bit longer but i wouldn’t blame anyone for stopping

Hehe he said boat. Boat arc lmao
Oct 22, 2022 6:16 PM

Sep 2022
i'll say it's up to you. if you want to see bonfire of dreams getting animated in the tv format that wasn't in the movie, then you should.
Oct 22, 2022 9:07 PM

Oct 2013
quiuzus said:

I'd recommend to continue watching. You didn't see all movies, but two of them, so you can still see something that you did not see before, even if you know the story from reading the manga. What's more, you can try to pay attention to details and see what, apart from additional scenes, got changed in episodes made out of movies that you had already seen. ;) But in the end, everything is up to you.
AdnashOct 22, 2022 9:12 PM
Oct 29, 2022 1:07 PM

Jan 2013
Basically watching in memorium of the creator....nothing but a tribute, watch it or not you know what happens.
Nov 25, 2022 8:52 PM
Mar 2016
I thought the movie golden age is the recap of season 1 tv now we have a tv of the movie recap. I see no point wasting my time.
Nov 26, 2022 1:16 AM

Oct 2013
KinjiKido said:
I thought the movie golden age is the recap of season 1 tv now we have a tv of the movie recap. I see no point wasting my time.

Golden Age arc movie trilogy is separate from the anime from 1997, if that's what you meant. It's not a recap, just an alternative version based on the same source material ("Berserk" manga by Kentarou Miura).

Memorial Edition is refreshed version of the movie trilogy, with improved visuals, new scenes and music themes, new shots added to existing scenes etc. It is not a recap by any means.
Feb 12, 2023 9:35 PM

Oct 2008
If you've seen most of what has been adapted and liked it, sure. If not, then don't.
Mar 6, 2023 1:02 PM

Oct 2013
I'm afraid you don't know what a recap is, @Peepsqueeker. It's definitely not a refreshed version of an existing show, and, most importantly, not a version enriched with additional content.

I can't tell what kind of thread you have been tracking, but from what I managed to notice with my own eyes and by seeing other people's comparison, the changes really made a difference. CGI got improved, so were many 2D sequences. Sure, there were many minor improvements, but they ended up with having a visible increase of quality to the scenes that got affected by them.

Besides, Memorial Edition wasn't meant to be totally new product. It was not a secret that Memorial Edition was planned out to be a TV series installment of the movie trilogy. Episodic format, improved visuals, new content. You've mentioned the case of Skyrim and its re-releases. I don't track what kind of new editions this game has gotten in the past few years, but from what I know no one said that any of them was to deliver a brand new game, not an improved version of an existing product. So it's similar situation to the Memorial Edition we are talking about, even if comparing a video game to animated show seems to be quite unwise.
Mar 6, 2023 3:46 PM

Oct 2013
Peepsqueeker said:
It's clear you misinterpreted my message so let me just ask you this simple question: Do you miss anything if you watch the Memorial edition and never watch the trilogy movies?

I haven't misinterpreted anything. I just gave a quick rundown to @KinjiKido on what to expect from Golden Age movie trilogy and Golden Age - Memorial Ediiton. You, on the other hand, have asked me a question I've already answered earlier on, when describing Memorial Edition as superior experience to watching the movies, because of all visual changes and extra content.

Peepsqueeker said:
(...) If you have seen the movies already, you don't need to watch the entire thing, you can just watch the changed parts and be done with it unless you actually want to rewatch the same thing with minor differences of which many are so subtle you probably don't even notice.

I was able to notice many differences, simply because I remembered some scenes, mostly the ones from the first movie, looking janky and having underwhelming amount of details. Extra cuts have also enhanced the experience to me, making the movie content feel more entertaining to watch. But that's me, I'm not saying that most of viewers might feel the same.

That being said, the context of this conversation was to answer the question asked by people curious about the additions offered by the Memorial Edition. Some were familiar with movies, even if not with all of them, some weren't. It's really not that deep. People can decide by themselves, after somebody provides them enough information, how to watch certain show. However, calling the Memorial Edition as a recap was unwise and that's what I pointed out, with explaining why it was not a recap by any means. Nothing more, nothing less.

Peepsqueeker said:
You're arguing, while making the same point I made in that comment.

Nope, I'm not arguing about this part of the post. I just pointed out the obvious thing that no one claimed that new releases of mentioned products (TES V: Skyrim with its Special Edition; Berserk: Golden Age Arc movie trilogy with its Memorial Edition) were brand new products. You seemed to have problem with it in the other section of your post, but if it wasn't the case, then my bad.

However, I don't know why you mentioned only two of many changes offered by the Memorial Edition. Extra cuts, new music, extended scenes, extra scenes. These are far more different than just mere visual improvements.

I guess we won't convince each other in this matter, so I suggest to just agree to disagree. No need to argue for the sake of arguing. It's better to just chill and be happy that OP's question has been answered. That's all that should matter in this thread, in my opinion.
May 23, 2023 6:38 AM

Jan 2023
As visuals can be a matter of preference and taste, I'll try to be very objective to why you shouldn't watching this adaptation and only watch the 1997 version and then deciding if you want to watch this one or not. This adaptation is very good at telling the story of the wars in Midland, HOWEVER, the Golden Age is not about the story of the wars. The Golden Age is about the relationship of Guts and Griffith, which this adaptation fails completely to tell. There are several episodes where there is not a single line of dialogue between Guts and Griffith, you can't see how much friends they are, all you see is the war and fighting scenes. The depth of the story is just not there.

If you enjoyed 1997 and wanna try this one because of how much you liked it, prepare to get disappointed. Still, there will be scenes that are much better in this adaptation (like the duel of Guts and Griffith on the snow), and some that are completely terrible with weird CGI.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk: Ougon Jidai-hen - Memorial Edition Episode 10 Discussion

von_Lohengramm - Dec 3, 2022

30 by SonnaBaka »»
May 19, 6:48 AM

» Do I need to watch the old berserk to watch this?

Pink_Chipmunk - Oct 1, 2022

17 by iluvanime69 »»
May 6, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Berserk: Ougon Jidai-hen - Memorial Edition Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Homura24 - Dec 24, 2022

51 by Rhae »»
Apr 21, 3:52 PM

Poll: » Berserk: Ougon Jidai-hen - Memorial Edition Episode 12 Discussion

Homura24 - Dec 17, 2022

30 by Rhae »»
Apr 21, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Berserk: Ougon Jidai-hen - Memorial Edition Episode 11 Discussion

Homura24 - Dec 10, 2022

27 by Rhae »»
Apr 20, 7:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.