Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 15, 2023 10:01 AM
Jul 2021
Ok, so i have heard from everyone that monogatari series is a quality series. I have watched 1st two episodes of bakemonogatari, I can tell it's really a unique experience. However, there were so many dialogues. My question is should i pause and read everything or just try to grab as much as possible without pausing? 
Also, any other advice what and what not to expect? 
And of course, no spoilers please. 
Apr 15, 2023 10:21 AM
Jun 2022
Some of the dialogue matters, whilst others don't. It's not like you won't understand what's happening in the episode itself without reading all the words, but reading all of it could help enhance the experience.
Apr 15, 2023 10:22 AM

Mar 2020
If you are into reading, reading first the LN and then watching the anime is a great experience (you can focus more on the details rather than the dialogue, for example). Since this is something that I know most people would be against of even trying, then here's my tip: for the first time, read the dialogues but please don't bother much with the flashing texts. They are mostly describing what's going on or just a brief summary, so you can ignore those. Another thing, don't try to binge the whole thing. Going arc by arc is the best way to enjoy it, at least that's what I did. If you want to get a rough idea of how much an arc lasts, "normally" the OP changes when a new arc is present (so for example, you've been watching staple stable for Hitagi Crab, the next arc has another OP for another character, and so on).

Hope this helps, and welcome to the series!

Only you can save yourself.
I only know what I know, I guess?
Yuri enjoyer and El Cazador de la Bruja fan
Apr 15, 2023 10:25 AM

Mar 2021
It's not necessary. When some text that appears on the screen is important, the anime usually give you enough time to read it
Apr 15, 2023 10:26 AM

Sep 2020
BetterBegoneThot said:
If you are into reading, reading first the LN and then watching the anime is a great experience (you can focus more on the details rather than the dialogue, for example). Since this is something that I know most people would be against of even trying, then here's my tip: for the first time, read the dialogues but please don't bother much with the flashing texts. They are mostly describing what's going on or just a brief summary, so you can ignore those. Another thing, don't try to binge the whole thing. Going arc by arc is the best way to enjoy it, at least that's what I did. If you want to get a rough idea of how much an arc lasts, "normally" the OP changes when a new arc is present (so for example, you've been watching staple stable for Hitagi Crab, the next arc has another OP for another character, and so on).

I second this. I recently completed the first season? of the light novels. It was great.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Apr 15, 2023 10:27 AM

Sep 2020
Idk probably consider watching it in chronological order.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Apr 15, 2023 10:28 AM
Apr 2023
It's not essential but deff is fun to read, as a lot of it is excerpts from the LN which highlights more of Koyomi's inner monologue or gives more context for either current situations or upcoming events. My first watch through was before I read the LN's, so I paused and would read them and enjoyed it a lot. You won't really miss anything if you don't, but if you have the time and don't mind pausing, I highly recommend it! A lot of the time they're rather poetic, too ✨
Apr 15, 2023 10:29 AM
Mar 2020
Watching the Monogatari series can be a challenging experience at first, but eventually you’ll get used to it dont worry. So I dont feel like you need to pause it. In addition if you want a watch order list I I’ll just link it here. Glad you think its interesting and hope you’ll find it a great experience!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZN5A47Wa87ao42MxQDAvJTu4vm3pynvnwaMLcKWKMEQ/edit
Apr 15, 2023 10:34 AM
Jul 2022
don't search google to see watching order just watch it according to release order.
Apr 15, 2023 10:44 AM
Jul 2021
BetterBegoneThot said:

this is exactly what I am planning to do. Watching arc by arc instead of binge. Reading light novel first will enhance my experience? Okay, I will try for the next arc. Thanks
Apr 15, 2023 10:45 AM

Mar 2020
AkshatRajput said:
don't search google to see watching order just watch it according to release order.

Objection, Kizumonogatari should be watched after Bakemonogatari, or at least before S2. There are a lot of references about its events through the entire series, but Neko Shiro and Kabuki makes it a must watch imo. Neko Shiro presents a character and spoils a little about Kizu, Kabuki is based on the plot of Kizu [spoilers ahead of this!], a 'what if' scenario where Kiss-Shot is released after Koyomi being killed.

Apr 15, 2023 10:50 AM

Mar 2020
Hunters_are_evil said:
BetterBegoneThot said:

this is exactly what I am planning to do. Watching arc by arc instead of binge. Reading light novel first will enhance my experience? Okay, I will try for the next arc. Thanks

Not really enhance the experience, it depends on the arc you are on (ie: I liked Koyomimonogatari LN, despised the anime version, but loved Owarimonogatari one after reading its LN). For first season, I think Bakemonogatari and Kizumonogatari are the ones that are actually worth reading. Kizu I haven't read it, but people say it's different from the movies. The rest (Nise and Neko Kuro) aren't bad in terms of plot but I don't like them a lot compared to Bake.

As far as I've read: 1st season - Bake + Kizu, 2nd season - [read only Kabuki for now, imo it's not that great] and final season - Koyomi (way better than the anime) and Owari, need to read Zoku Owari. That's my personal opinion, so if you enjoy reading, again, you should try them all!

Apr 15, 2023 10:52 AM

May 2022
Hunters_are_evil said:
Ok, so i have heard from everyone that monogatari series is a quality series. I have watched 1st two episodes of bakemonogatari, I can tell it's really a unique experience. However, there were so many dialogues. My question is should i pause and read everything or just try to grab as much as possible without pausing? 
Also, any other advice what and what not to expect? 
And of course, no spoilers please. 

It’s up to you but maybe just try to read what you can without pausing or rewinding. If you get caught up trying to read every little thing it might take away from your enjoyment.

Either way, have fun watching it. It’s really a great series.
Apr 15, 2023 11:19 AM
Feb 2022
o brother cant help you here
Apr 15, 2023 12:04 PM
Oct 2015
Welcome to the series! Did something good happen? I’m going to answer for the series as a whole, since I imagine you will continue watching the other seasons if you can enjoy this one.

There is a lot of dialogue, tons of back and forth and the pace can be frantic at times. There is also a lot of wordplay that sometimes is hard to understand for non-Japanese speakers as it takes knowing the language to get the joke or observation fully. Just roll with it, it’s one of the authors proclivity’s and the sub title folks try their best to make it as relatable as possible. These are both big reasons why the entire series has not and will possibly never be fully dubbed.

As far as advice, you need to be comfortable with the series getting into borderline and occasionally straight up creepy at times. I love the series, but there are a few scenes with Hachikuji and his younger sisters that can make many feel uncomfortable. A toothbrush scene in nisemonogatari comes to mind as a prime example, If you can get through these scenes you will be fine.

Also some episodes tend to have slow moving story progression, so if you are feeling drowsy it’s best to turn it off rather than half watch an episode. It’s not really a show you can half watch and fully experience. But I hope you enjoy this first season and can continue on to enjoy the rest of the series. This series as a whole is one of those made in heaven matches of talent and execution that rarely happens and when it does it is always worth the time to experience for yourself.
ElSenseiApr 18, 2023 6:01 PM
Apr 15, 2023 12:07 PM
Mar 2020
BetterBegoneThot said:
AkshatRajput said:

Objection, Kizumonogatari should be watched after Bakemonogatari, or at least before S2. There are a lot of references about its events through the entire series, but Neko Shiro and Kabuki makes it a must watch imo. Neko Shiro presents a character and spoils a little about Kizu, Kabuki is based on the plot of Kizu [spoilers ahead of this!], a 'what if' scenario where Kiss-Shot is released after Koyomi being killed.

As someone who has watched in airing chronological and soon LN order I feel as though regardless of what order you watched it, the Monogatari series is amazing. So I feel that you should just pick an order, trust what you feel is right, and you’ll be happy. Also sup BegoneThot been a while!
Apr 15, 2023 1:40 PM
Nov 2020
It has a lot of inappropriate Underage girls interaction. So you know.
Apr 15, 2023 3:48 PM
May 2021
I don't do that at all. you can very easily understand what is happening if you at least try to pay attention to the dialogue.
Apr 15, 2023 4:23 PM
Mar 2021
Yeah I advise you don’t watch this show it’s sickening
Apr 15, 2023 4:26 PM

Feb 2016
Its probably one of the most dialogue heavy series out there and some don't matter, but play a huge role for the plot. You don't have keep pausing to read them. It gives you a lot time to read it. 
Apr 15, 2023 4:33 PM
Oct 2022
This anime is really underrated I guess I guess you can say this is very deep very deep it's not in front you'll see a kind of Harry in front you will see a kind of Harry set up but in the inside it's a really different story
Apr 15, 2023 5:16 PM
Mar 2021
just watch with pausing if you miss what seems like important dialague the go back
Apr 16, 2023 6:45 AM
Feb 2022
there are no tips just sit back and relax
Apr 17, 2023 2:23 PM
Jan 2021
IMO monogatari is experienced best as a book unless you really like abstract art. I don't see the appeal of anime if it's realistically just the novels read out loud. The aspect of not being able to set my own pace made me drop the anime near the end

More topics from this board

» How did the main character didn't get killed in the final episode?

emryuu - May 30

1 by Merve2Love »»
May 30, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 25, 2009

689 by PRIVATEMENACE »»
May 25, 1:45 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 31, 2009

357 by xVitro »»
May 21, 9:44 PM

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

29 by salarx »»
May 5, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 3, 2009

511 by Dragona_8002 »»
Apr 28, 11:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.