Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 23, 2021 4:09 AM
Dec 2020
So I'm currently watching the OG and I'm enjoying it,

Is the ending sad or happy?

I heard that the rebuild movies are basically a remake of the show

Is it good? is it better than the OG ending?

(No spoilers please)
Aug 23, 2021 4:29 AM
Nov 2020
Rejiz said:

(No spoilers please)
ok so the ending (the last two episodes) is not cannon. What they did was redid the ending with a movie called the end of Evangelion, which has a terrifying/sad ending. And then the rebuilds are a redo where things happen differently and has a happy ending. Hope this helps!
Aug 23, 2021 4:40 AM
Jul 2019
Rejiz said:

(No spoilers please)

the ending of the show is, theoretically, quite happy, just in a very atypical way. your reception of it is going to depend somewhat on the characters you like and care about the most in the show. it’s pretty controversial and upsets a lot of fans who watch it without knowing what’s coming - but i really love it myself. in a lot of ways it’s what elevates the show for me to something much greater than a standard mecha. just prepare yourself to get something totally different than the beginning of the show and try to lean into the ending even if it gets uncomfortable or confusing.

to answer your second questions, yes, the rebuild movies are technically happier, but they’re also much simpler and less interesting in my opinion. they’re worth a watch only if you really, really dislike the ending of the OG series and movies and need to see the characters of evangelion get a more stereotypically happy ending.
Aug 23, 2021 4:46 AM
Dec 2020
Jontayy said:
Rejiz said:

(No spoilers please)
ok so the ending (the last two episodes) is not cannon. What they did was redid the ending with a movie called the end of Evangelion, which has a terrifying/sad ending. And then the rebuilds are a redo where things happen differently and has a happy ending. Hope this helps!
so the last 2 episodes of the OG show is not cannon , so should I skip it and watch the movie?
Aug 23, 2021 4:52 AM

Sep 2020
Well, technically EoE's ending is not as sad as the og Evangelion's ending

No, evangelion 1.0 is the only remake you'll have from the og series and then rest of the movies have it's own story and ending, it's sort of an alternative reality
But many theories suggests that it takes place after the original evangelion ending
Aug 23, 2021 4:53 AM

Jan 2020
The ending of the series is...hopeful I guess, It could be interpreted in many ways

Also, the last 2 episodes are canon, watch them, And then watch the movie.

In many aspects the 2 endings flow parallel to each other without colliding as much as you'd expect, One just shows the more mental and psychological stuff than what's actually happening in the world.
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Aug 23, 2021 4:54 AM

Dec 2018
The ending is happy and uplifting. EoE on the other hand has a pretty melancholy ending. EoE was produced due to the backlash against the original ending, as the original ending for better or worse is quite artsy. There’s debate over whether the original ending is good, but I personally think it’s just as good, if not better, than EoE.

The rebuild movies are not remakes, barring 1.0. I don’t think they’re better than NGE or EoE, but I still think they’re good.

Also yes, the last two episodes are canon.
MonochrosanityAug 23, 2021 5:02 AM
Aug 23, 2021 4:57 AM
Nov 2020
Rejiz said:
Jontayy said:
so the last 2 episodes of the OG show is not cannon , so should I skip it and watch the movie?
you can watch it, it just won’t add anything or explain anything or even make it so the series is done
Aug 23, 2021 4:58 AM
Mar 2021
Jontayy said:
Rejiz said:

(No spoilers please)
the ending is canon. End of Evangelion is a retelling of the same ending from a different perspective.
Aug 23, 2021 4:58 AM
Nov 2020
Nitroade24h said:
Jontayy said:
the ending is canon. End of Evangelion is a retelling of the same ending from a different perspective.
true, but it’s easier for them to understand
Aug 23, 2021 4:59 AM
Mar 2021
Rejiz said:
Jontayy said:
they are canon. End of Evangelion is a retelling of those two episodes from a wider perspective (this makes sense when you get there)
Aug 23, 2021 5:00 AM
Dec 2020
Nitroade24h said:
Rejiz said:
they are canon. End of Evangelion is a retelling of those two episodes from a wider perspective (this makes sense when you get there)
Nitroade24h said:
Jontayy said:
wut? So basically the OG ending is cannon and the movies is just retelling the OG ending in a different perspective
Aug 23, 2021 5:01 AM
Mar 2021
Rejiz said:
Nitroade24h said:
Nitroade24h said:
wut? So basically the OG ending is cannon and the movies is just retelling the OG ending in a different perspective
Yeah basically. You will understand when you get there. You will basically have no idea what is going on in the last 2 episodes but the movie End of Evangelion explains it.
Aug 23, 2021 5:03 AM
Dec 2020
Nitroade24h said:
Rejiz said:
Yeah basically. You will understand when you get there. You will basically have no idea what is going on in the last 2 episodes but the movie End of Evangelion explains it.
Nitroade24h said:
Rejiz said:
Okay thanks alot, so once I'm finish with this I'll probably watch the rebuild movies, are they basically like an alternative universe?
Aug 23, 2021 5:09 AM
Mar 2021
Rejiz said:
Nitroade24h said:
Nitroade24h said:
Okay thanks alot, so once I'm finish with this I'll probably watch the rebuild movies, are they basically like an alternative universe?
I won’t spoil how, but they are connected to the original series in a way. They’re very good as well and I think you’ll like the ending.
Aug 23, 2021 5:10 AM
Dec 2020
Nitroade24h said:
Rejiz said:
I won’t spoil how, but they are connected to the original series in a way. They’re very good as well and I think you’ll like the ending.

Aight thanks again
Aug 23, 2021 5:55 AM
Jan 2021
Jontayy said:
Rejiz said:

(No spoilers please)

Bruh wtf the ending is bviously canon 🤦🏻‍♂️. There were just production problems that it turned out like it did. But it did end like anno wanted
Aug 23, 2021 6:00 AM
Mar 2021
Watch end of Eva and go on to watch the the 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and 1.0+4.0 and that will conclude everything.

Note:- ep 25, 26 ; end of Eva movie and 1.0+4.0 are alternate endings
Aug 23, 2021 6:06 AM
Apr 2021
Rejiz said:
Jontayy said:
No, the last 2 episodes are probably the best thing
Aug 23, 2021 11:07 AM
Feb 2021
Jontayy said:
Rejiz said:

(No spoilers please)
not really both ending are canon, people jusst like TOE ending more.
Aug 23, 2021 11:30 AM
Jun 2021
Neon genesis evangelion has three endings
Og evangelion episodes 25.26
End of evangelion ending
Rebuild movies ending
I didn't like og evangelion ending and the end of evangelion has bitter sweet ending
I love rebuild movies so far they are better than og evangelion imo
Aug 23, 2021 12:28 PM
Mar 2021
Jontayy said:
Rejiz said:

(No spoilers please)
what the fuck? They are 100% Canon. Where did you get this from?
Aug 23, 2021 12:29 PM
Mar 2021
Jontayy said:
Rejiz said:
you can watch it, it just won’t add anything or explain anything or even make it so the series is done
dude, the last 2 episodes literally explain the series and conclude shinji's character arc, have you even watched them?
Aug 23, 2021 4:45 PM
Nov 2020
ChireaI9 said:
Jontayy said:
dude, the last 2 episodes literally explain the series and conclude shinji's character arc, have you even watched them?
yes, but what happened to nerv? What happened to seel? What happened to the instrumentality project? What happened with the Dead Sea scrolls?
Aug 23, 2021 9:18 PM
Oct 2020
Jontayy said:
Rejiz said:

(No spoilers please)

They aren’t not canon officially, and even if they were non-canon they’re essential viewing anyway. I would not recommend skipping them. There are good parallels between end of TV and end of Eva, and they compliment each other. Both endings are important to watch.
Aug 23, 2021 9:21 PM
Oct 2020
Jontayy said:
ChireaI9 said:
yes, but what happened to nerv? What happened to seel? What happened to the instrumentality project? What happened with the Dead Sea scrolls?

You’re a bit confused, but that stuff isn’t what Eva is about. Even in EoE they don’t explain any of that stuff. All of that stuff is explained in a ps2 game, where it belongs, since it’s not important to the characters, which are the true focus of Eva.
Aug 23, 2021 11:09 PM
Aug 2020
Rejiz said:

(No spoilers please)

Basically the ending of the show is bittersweet in a positive way while the movie ending is bittersweet in a negative way however these are two different looks at the same ending meant to sort of be taken in together. Also the rebuilds have a happier ending if End of Eva leaves you too unhappy.
Aug 24, 2021 10:34 AM

Jun 2008
The last two episodes are absolutely cannon. I recommend watching those before jumping into The End of Evangelion because it adds to the experience of the film. Not to mention, episodes 25/26 are directed like experimental art films which is very unique for an animated television series. There's nothing like them in anime. The End of Evangelion is a masterpiece, but don't miss the ending episodes of the OG series.

More topics from this board

» Do you have any Evangelion merchandise? ( 1 2 )

TsutanaiFuun - May 29

57 by NaTsu_aKk0- »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

then - May 10, 2008

161 by NihilisticMystic »»
May 29, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

813 by katto_al_ameer »»
May 28, 6:48 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

227 by wallus81 »»
May 27, 1:24 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

189 by wallus81 »»
May 27, 12:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.