Forum Settings
Forums

Does anyone else hate the combat system in The Witcher?

New
Apr 23, 2015 4:58 AM
Jun 2014
This isn't a rant.

The Witcher 2 is a great game with beautiful graphics, cool characters and a good story. One thing that made me stop playing the game is the combat. It was just tedious and frustrating. Fighting in the game= rolling around like a monkey, throwing bombs, laying down traps and drinking potions. All this business just to kill one person. After beating Letho, I just lost interest because I lost my save. Now I played Shadow of Mordor yesterday and the fighting got me hyyyyyped because it was fun.
I'm writing this because I watched some gameplay trailer of The Witcher 3 on ign and it seems like they haven't changed it.
KaiwaiikillahApr 23, 2015 5:08 AM
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Apr 23, 2015 5:10 AM

Aug 2013
Yes I could never get into the witcher games which is a shame because I can tell they are really good but I get frustrated when say lighting a torch requires 5 different menus and 10 different items and so on for everything and that two swords for different enemies was annoying too. If my sword can kill a monster it can kill a human.
Apr 23, 2015 5:18 AM
Jun 2014
Exactly. Also, I'm not a sword expert but I'm sure a swordsman wouldn't waste their energy rolling around all the time in one fight.
Apr 23, 2015 5:30 AM

Aug 2014
Similar complaints were made about Dark Souls combat. Games like these shy away from the button mash for cool animations style combat that you get in stuff like Assassin's Creed and Shadow of Mordor.
FoxfireApr 23, 2015 5:33 AM
Apr 23, 2015 6:08 AM

May 2014
I, for one, hate the combat in Shadow of Mordor.
I prefer Dark Souls and The Witcher style.

and no, they will never fully change the combat. It's one of the selling points of the game. Though they did remove some rolling bits and replaced with backward dash lol.
SxsxaraelApr 23, 2015 6:26 AM
Apr 23, 2015 6:22 AM

Jul 2013
I watched an interview with one of the game developers and he said they removed the constant rolling in the upcoming Witcher 3. Because they did receive a lot of complaints regarding that. But even if they didn't I think it's will still be awesome. Throwing bombs and laying down traps, sounds like Monster Hunter.
Apr 23, 2015 6:42 AM
Jun 2014
PrimeX said:
I watched an interview with one of the game developers and he said they removed the constant rolling in the upcoming Witcher 3. Because they did receive a lot of complaints regarding that. But even if they didn't I think it's will still be awesome. Throwing bombs and laying down traps, sounds like Monster Hunter.

I like the bombs and traps. What's crazy is I still want to get the witcher 3 lol
Apr 23, 2015 7:01 AM

Oct 2013
I hated the combat for the first game. So much so that I couldn't continue after only a few hours and have not picked up the second. I hear they're good games, and what I've played of the first, I believe that, but the combat was so convoluted and awful. If the second game is like Dark Souls, I might pick it up since I kinda enjoyed the DS combat style.
Apr 23, 2015 7:14 AM

Jun 2011
Krenzin said:
I hated the combat for the first game. So much so that I couldn't continue after only a few hours and have not picked up the second. I hear they're good games, and what I've played of the first, I believe that, but the combat was so convoluted and awful. If the second game is like Dark Souls, I might pick it up since I kinda enjoyed the DS combat style.

The combat in the first game is nothing like the second or third game.
Apr 23, 2015 7:26 AM

Oct 2013
F0XFIRE said:
Similar complaints were made about Dark Souls combat. Games like these shy away from the button mash for cool animations style combat that you get in stuff like Assassin's Creed and Shadow of Mordor.

People complained about Dark Souls COMBAT!? its so fkn simple and easy to use. Whats there to complain about?
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Apr 23, 2015 9:03 AM
Jun 2014
Krenzin said:
I hated the combat for the first game.

The first one was alright. I stopped playing it after I found out that you had to read some book to pick up plants, I went back to skyrim after lol.
Apr 23, 2015 9:06 AM
Jun 2014
F0XFIRE said:
Games like these shy away from the button mash for cool animations style combat that you get in stuff like Assassin's Creed and Shadow of Mordor.

But I want the game to do the work for me! Nah, I joke. It's just annoying to have to do all of this stuff on a keyboard in 3rd person. People say The Witcher is best played with a keyboard and mouse so a 360 won't even help.
Apr 23, 2015 9:06 AM

Mar 2015
you don't play games like the witcher and skyrim for the combat, at least in my opinion.

personally the environment, the story and doing w.e you want making the decisions for the story to go on is what makes those games GOTY or candidates at least.
Apr 23, 2015 9:35 AM

Nov 2008
Lash_ said:
I'm writing this because I watched some gameplay trailer of The Witcher 3 on ign and it seems like they haven't changed it.
You're blind.

I think the combat in The Witcher 2 is pretty serviceable. It looks better and more realistic in the third game. I couldn't get into the first game and most likely never will.

Apr 23, 2015 9:55 AM

Aug 2014
daAmazinFatB0y said:
People complained about Dark Souls COMBAT!? its so fkn simple and easy to use. Whats there to complain about?

Yeah I've seen complaints that it's clunky and unresponsive. I think this view is from those who are more used to fast paced hack n' slash combat. Games like Dark Souls and The Witcher which have slower paced combat. There is also a sense of weight when you swing a weapon.

In some hack n' slash it feels as if the player character is swinging around a melee weapon the weight of a toothpick. You can charge into a group of enemies, mash a few buttons and become a twirling ballerina reaper of death. Not saying it ain't fun tough.
FoxfireApr 23, 2015 10:14 AM
Apr 23, 2015 10:04 AM
Jun 2014
deftsu said:
you don't play games like the witcher and skyrim for the combat, at least in my opinion.

personally the environment, the story and doing w.e you want making the decisions for the story to go on is what makes those games GOTY or candidates at least.

The combat is surprisingly fun in Skyrim. I still haven't mastered destruction magic in that game.
Apr 23, 2015 10:09 AM

Mar 2015
^ ehhh not that fun, it's repetitive, only thing that you can change is the weapon, otherwise just left/right click him to death :O

oh only thing i found fun and challenging with the skyrim combat was the bow and arrow (which I used all the time)
Apr 23, 2015 10:50 AM

Sep 2011
Absolutely, it didn't prevent me from finishing the game but I didn't like it at all. I was just arguing about this very thing with my brother yesterday lol. The Witcher's gameplay feels like a weird mixture of turn-based combat with action. I hate that all attacks reuse the same canned animations. I hate how slow the combat feels when compared to games like Shadow of Mordor; which you used as an example. Nothing about the gameplay makes me feel like a monster hunter, except the sword switching mechanic which is meh.

Dragons Dogma which came out around the same time as The Witcher 2 had much better combat and way better monster battles. The grabbing mechanic and how different weapons felt in that game made the combat very fun. Unfortunately the story was boring as hell and had almost zero direction. If only CDProjekt had taken pointers from that game and imported that into Witcher 3's combat.

The Witcher is one of the few games that I have played on the easiest difficulty because I wanted to ignore the combat all together and focus on the narrative. The combat feels like a chore and isn't fun. That said it's not so bad that it prevented me from beating the game. It's as bad as Dragon Age's combat or any of those pseudo-MMO action combat games.

The one thing that seems to have improved in the Witcher 3; from what I've seen in the videos. Is the fluidity of the combos. It feels less robotic. You can alter between attacking and using magic much quicker and easier in 3. I just hope the story/world is at least half as good as the hype promises. From what I've seen, it looks promising.

F0XFIRE said:
daAmazinFatB0y said:

Yeah I've seen complaints that it's clunky and unresponsive. I think this view is from those who are more used to fast paced hack n' slash combat. Games like Dark Souls and The Witcher which have slower paced combat. There is also a sense of weight when you swing a weapon.

In some hack n' slash it feels as if the player character is swinging around a melee weapon the weight of a toothpick. You can charge into a group of enemies, mash a few buttons and become a twirling ballerina reaper of death. Not saying it ain't fun tough.

Man, I don't know why anyone would compare the two. I mean, Demon/Dark Souls & Bloodborne all have a very simple combat. You have two main attacks light/strong attack and a block. I don't see why people would complain about the combat being slow? I mean sure it's not Ninja Gaiden fast, but it's definitely not slow....Unless you deliberately go for a tank-y build with a great sword. Hell in Dark Souls 1, the most common build was the Lightning Spear +10 build which was fast paced. The dodge/roll mechanics and attack speeds were a lot faster and more skill based in the Souls series than Witcher. The Witcher is more about pre-combat setup than anything. Laying a shit load of traps down, drinking your potions and then spamming the one attack button and hoping for the best. I really don't see how people can compare the two, it's like apples and oranges. Maybe I'm forgetting something dynamic about the Witcher's combat but I never remember it being particularity difficult. Just tedious as hell.

Again the only games that I can compare Witcher series to, are games like Dragon Age and other Bioware games that aren't Mass Effect series.
FullmetalRaikouApr 23, 2015 6:49 PM
Apr 23, 2015 11:56 AM

Mar 2015
Didn't mind the Witcher 2's combat, but the first game's combat made me drop it.

Apr 23, 2015 1:00 PM

Mar 2008
The first Witcher's combat felt really weird to me at first, but after an hour or so it started to grow on me.
I didn't have any issue with the Witcher 2's combat. The only thing I disliked about rolling was that it was a faster method of travel than running once fully upgraded...so that was weird.
Beat both of them on the most difficult settings though, and I don't remember the combat mechanics giving me any trouble. (Unlike Dark Souls II)

Haven't played the Witcher 3 yet. Hope to do so this summer.
Apr 23, 2015 1:21 PM

Nov 2008
Fullmetal89 said:
The one thing that seems to have improved in the Witcher 3; from what I've seen in the videos. Is the fluidity of the combos. It feels less robotic. You can alter between attacking and using magic much quicker and easier in 3.
You can also move without turning now. In other words, strafe. It also has gory finishers delivered from power stances. By that I don't mean cinematic finishers. And you can evade more efficiently without rolling. And you can shove the enemy.

Apr 23, 2015 2:18 PM

Jul 2013
Apparently you can get mods to fix it in the PC version, gonna talk from my experience with the game in my friends 360:

The combat is tedious, the menus are laid out in a rather akward manner from my perspective and the map only helped me get even more lost.
It's pretty weak from a gameplay perspective.
Apr 23, 2015 2:28 PM

Oct 2011
While TW2's combat was more arguably more fun, one thing I preferred in the first one is that Geralt really felt like a master swordsman he should be, in the sequel Geralt's main edge over his opponents is rolling, even some pitchfork wielding rabble you face can parry more effectively than him (they can do it indefinitely while it drains Geralt's stamina) and I find it ridiculous you have to spend XP points for Geralt to "learn" counterattack/riposte.
Apr 23, 2015 6:44 PM

Nov 2008
I'm surprised not one of you mentioned the targeting system. It's terrible. You have to be extremely careful not to home in on the wrong enemy, and it takes effort to switch.
EzekielApr 23, 2015 7:03 PM

Apr 23, 2015 9:21 PM

Oct 2013
deftsu said:

I don't think this is entirely true. I of course play for the story, but in The Witcher, during night in the first area, at least, you couldn't go 5 feet without getting swarmed by 3-5 hellhounds. If a game is going to have so much combat, I'd prefer it to have a more interesting combat system. I may not be playing for the combat, but in RPGs it's still a major point of the game, and takes up the vast majority of my time, time during which I would rather be having fun at the mass slaughter of foes than going "This again.... Hello Hellhound, my old friennnnd. I've come to fight with you againnnnn. Because you spawn there lookiiing creepyyyy. Your constant presence makes meee weepyyyy."
Apr 23, 2015 9:41 PM

Sep 2014
Yeah, I absolutely hate the combat in the Witcher. The second game handles it a bit better, but not by much. Despite that, I still love the series and am looking forward to the 3rd game. Combat definitely isn't its shining point, but just about everything else about the series is great.

Come to think of it though, aside from the Souls series (Demon's/Dark Souls), there aren't too many Western RPGs with good combat in my opinion.
The Elder Scrolls has always had some really shoddy combat (still better than the Witcher though), same goes for Fallout.
Fable's combat was forgettable, and having to hold down a button to absorb those orbs was annoying.
Dragon Age basically just has MMO-style combat.
Mass Effect is just a generic third-person shooter.
etc. etc.
Apr 24, 2015 4:57 AM

Oct 2013
Fullmetal89 said:

F0XFIRE said:

Man, I don't know why anyone would compare the two. I mean, Demon/Dark Souls & Bloodborne all have a very simple combat. You have two main attacks light/strong attack and a block. I don't see why people would complain about the combat being slow? I mean sure it's not Ninja Gaiden fast, but it's definitely not slow....Unless you deliberately go for a tank-y build with a great sword. Hell in Dark Souls 1, the most common build was the Lightning Spear +10 build which was fast paced. The dodge/roll mechanics and attack speeds were a lot faster and more skill based in the Souls series than Witcher. The Witcher is more about pre-combat setup than anything. Laying a shit load of traps down, drinking your potions and then spamming the one attack button and hoping for the best. I really don't see how people can compare the two, it's like apples and oranges. Maybe I'm forgetting something dynamic about the Witcher's combat but I never remember it being particularity difficult. Just tedious as hell.

Again the only games that I can compare Witcher series to, are games like Dragon Age and other Bioware games that aren't Mass Effect series.

WHAAAAT!? I don't understand people man. Its really responsive. Sometimes a little TOO responsive. I think there just too stupid to realize that you gotta take your time, plan your strategies, plan when to attack and when not to. Its not a hack n slash game.

Once you get used to it however, you start planning subconsciously and it just dumbs down to 2 simple things . Block & Attack, Roll & Attack

Thats really how it all is. The hard part is knowing when do block/roll and knowing when to attack and when not too but you get the hang of it later.

Its extremely simple and yet people STILL complain.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now

More topics from this board

» Favorite Playstation era

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 14

25 by Yuno »»
4 hours ago

» Japanese games vs. American games

coolyfruity - Aug 28

36 by Kodreyu »»
6 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3714 by Morningstar991 »»
7 hours ago

» First Pokémon game

ani2016 - Aug 18

34 by Midna »»
9 hours ago

» Favorite Nintendo Era

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 17

6 by Midna »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.