Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 13, 2009 6:46 PM

Jul 2007
Tell us which series is your favorite and why!

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 14, 2009 7:45 AM

Jul 2007
I'm going with TOS. It was my first love and the whole reason I'm even watching the others.
TNG is great too, but I just love the cheesyness of the original.
The animated series also holds a special place in my heart. It's so ridiculous. XD

May 16, 2009 9:05 AM

Jan 2008
I saw TNG first... but I prefer TOS. The crew is just a whole lot more memorable. Cpt. Kirk, Mr Spock, Scotty, Dr McCoy, Mr Chekov, Mr Sulu... tons more. XD

I liked the ideas of the episodes. The morals behind them... not to mention I just loved the crew. :P
Supreme Seireitei - Captain of the 10th Court Guard Squad

If you like Pigtailed guys, join this club! NAO!
May 16, 2009 6:27 PM

Jul 2007
Yeah I like the TOS crew better too. I mean, TNG cast is great, I really like some of them. It's just more of TOS characters are more fun.

May 17, 2009 6:49 AM

Jan 2008
I agree.
Spock and McCoy are always funny together. Sulu and Chekov just sound fun... and I like how Chekov always insists that things originated in Russia. XD
Scotty has a fun accent, and likes his drink (especially in the episode with the Kelvins x3).

In TNG... I'll admit that Data, Worf and Geordie can be quite funny at times. Picard and Riker can also be pretty funny on occasion... but it's just not the same. It's just not as funny. :P

May 17, 2009 7:38 AM

Jul 2007
Yeah. I know exactly what you mean. For me, the only stuff that comes close is Data stuff. He gets the best gags. ^_^
Oh yeah! I love the "it came from Russia" thing too! Makes me laugh every time. XD
Oh, and I can't forget MCcoy and all his "I'm a doctor, not a _____" (You can fill in the blank with your favorite). :)

May 17, 2009 10:48 AM

Jan 2008
MY favourite McCoy one was...
"Dammit, Jim! I'm a doctor, not an escalator!" when he was hauling some pregnant woman up a hill. x3

I laughed for hours with that. XD

Yep, Chekov was an irreplacable member of the crew. He rarely got a chance to have a real joke, but when he did it was always fun. XD

May 17, 2009 11:30 AM
May 17, 2009 11:48 AM

Jan 2008
LMFAO!!!!
Ahhh... I could do with a t-shirt like that... x3

May 19, 2009 7:25 PM

Oct 2008
I saw TNG first, and it's still my favourite. There is an added dimension to it that isn't really in TOS, and I don't think it's through any fault of Roddenberry's, just due to the times. When ST was first pitched, he gave it the sort of space-cowboy treatment, a "wagon train to the stars." But that was largely because the market at the time was accustomed to the time, and it would be easier for a western-type show to be pitched. 1987, allowed for more freedom of expression of Roddenberry's ideals of the future, and his humanistic perspective. We see many more intellectually grounded episodes in this series, dealing with philosophical issues. And after his death and the franchise was completely handed over, this was never completely regained through future series.
May 20, 2009 4:57 AM

Jan 2008
olmecalmighty said:
We see many more intellectually grounded episodes in this series, dealing with philosophical issues. And after his death and the franchise was completely handed over, this was never completely regained through future series.

I disagree. In TOS, almost every episode is based on a moral or philosophical issue. Each episode was written spectacularly, and the characters really portrayed their feelings, and reactions...
The fight scenes left a lot to be desired... but heck, it was the 60's, they were on a low budget, and often you were too sucked into the story to realise it.

I prefer the old Star Trek and it's "wagon train to the stars" approach. I liked the whole exploration aspect of it; how going to a new planet always posed a new threat to be overcome. They didn't just explore space... but time, and even alternate dimensions. There was never a dull moment in the Original Star Trek, even during "boring" meetings. The characters really brought the series to life, and they're completely irreplaceable.

Bones and his classic lines ("He's Dead, Jim", "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not an escalator!"). In my personal opinion his attitude to work and the crew was far more entertaining than Crusher.

Scotty just had that fun sense about him. He liked his liquor, he just sounded fun and had a few of his own catchphrases ("I can't give her any more Jim, she'll blow!"). Geordie just didn't excite me that much...

You HAVE to admit that Spock is more entertaining than Riker. It's not even worth going to the effort to prove.

And the Navigator/Helmsmen... They're just far more interesting, is all. :P

Uhura wasn't one of my favourites, I'll admit... but she was still a great character to have around. XD

(By the deterioration of my arguments, you'll realise that I've been running out of time, and have to end this post quickly to attend to another matter. Sorry. ^^)

May 20, 2009 9:08 AM

Jul 2007
I have to agree with you LordSchmee. I love TNG, and some parts of it are better. After all, it was made 20 years later, and special effects had improved a great deal, especially by the end of TNG. But TNG lacks the charm of TOS.
I will say they both focus on philosophical and moral problems, and make statements. Points to both of them for that.
As to the characters, I love some of the TNG characters, almost all of them in fact, but they just aren't on the same level as the original cast. Their chemistry isn't as good, and I just don't like them as much.
However, they're both good series, and I can respect it if someone says they personally like TNG better. It is a good series.

May 20, 2009 12:10 PM

Jan 2008
Feena-c said:
I have to agree with you LordSchmee. I love TNG, and some parts of it are better. After all, it was made 20 years later, and special effects had improved a great deal, especially by the end of TNG. But TNG lacks the charm of TOS.
I will say they both focus on philosophical and moral problems, and make statements. Points to both of them for that.
As to the characters, I love some of the TNG characters, almost all of them in fact, but they just aren't on the same level as the original cast. Their chemistry isn't as good, and I just don't like them as much.
However, they're both good series, and I can respect it if someone says they personally like TNG better. It is a good series.

Yep.
The chemistry between Spock, Kirk and McCoy... it was something you just can't replicate. You can't just say "Ok, you, you and you, do that." It was special. :P Something I definitely didn't notice (or, at least, not to the same degree) in TNG.

TNG's graphics ARE better, but it was made 2 decades later, after all. If they'd had that technology back when TOS was made, it'd have been just as good. :P

May 20, 2009 12:32 PM

Jul 2007
Personally, part of the reason I like TOS is the silly special effects. Computers take all the challenge out of trying to make things that aren't really look real on the screen. Back then they used practical effects, and I just really respect that.

May 20, 2009 3:23 PM

Jan 2008
I like how the Remastered version LOOKS better... but at the same time, it still looks simple, like the old one. XD

But I agree. Even the tribbles could have been CGI creatures, nowadays. :P

Like pokemon, or something.

May 20, 2009 4:14 PM

Jul 2007
I still haven't seen the remastered series. I want to though. The previews I saw looked great.

May 20, 2009 4:49 PM

Jan 2008
I bought Season 2, since it was the only one I'd not seen. :P I'm gonna buy 1 and 3 when I save up. XD

May 21, 2009 2:31 AM

Oct 2008
anybody watch star trek: new voyages/phase II?

i've seen a few episodes of it myself.
May 25, 2009 12:47 AM

Aug 2008
TNG all the way. Heck, I've been watching its episodes over and over. :D
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

May 25, 2009 2:32 AM

Oct 2008
KyuuA4 said:
i have to agree. i've watched my tng discs so many times, that whenever i come across any episode on tv, i'll be able to name it right away. unless it's one i don't like. can't do that with any other series.
May 25, 2009 2:40 AM

Aug 2008
olmecalmighty said:
KyuuA4 said:
i have to agree. i've watched my tng discs so many times, that whenever i come across any episode on tv, i'll be able to name it right away. unless it's one i don't like. can't do that with any other series.

I'm not liking Season 7 unfortunately though -- aside with a few eps. there.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

May 25, 2009 2:53 AM

Oct 2008
KyuuA4 said:
I'm not liking Season 7 unfortunately though -- aside with a few eps. there.
when you say i'm not liking series 7, i'm thinking about some of of the episodes that i really liked in it ( like gambit, masks, pegasus, journey's end, inheritance, lower decks, all good things). but then there's also all that crap like sub rosa, genesis, emergence, and preemptive strike. it was really back and forth. i think berman and braga were really scraping the bottom of the barrel at that point, they had given up on tng really, even making sure it's ending led into ds9. at least all good things was worthwhile.
May 25, 2009 3:00 AM

Aug 2008
olmecalmighty said:
but then there's also all that crap like sub rosa, genesis, emergence, and preemptive strike. it was really back and forth. i think berman and braga were really scraping the bottom of the barrel at that point

Unfortunately, those are even lower than many of the Season 1 stuff.

olmecalmighty said:
they had given up on tng really, even making sure it's ending led into ds9. at least all good things was worthwhile.

Funny thing is - when I saw that episode on TV ... and reached the end. I was like... "wait a minute. Is that it!?" XD

May 25, 2009 3:20 AM

Oct 2008
that last scene in all good things was one of my favorite ending scenes in a series, i thought it was dignified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIGxezrlj2I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrnmbiN4xjE

it really sat well with what tng was and brought it full circle. they could always have done better, but they certainly could have done worse.
May 25, 2009 2:32 PM

Aug 2008
olmecalmighty said:
that last scene in all good things was one of my favorite ending scenes in a series, i thought it was dignified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIGxezrlj2I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrnmbiN4xjE

it really sat well with what tng was and brought it full circle. they could always have done better, but they certainly could have done worse.

Oh don't get me wrong. I have zero complaints about the last eps. In fact, it was the perfect way to end it. Nevertheless, I never bothered with the TNG related movies afterwards.

May 25, 2009 2:37 PM

Oct 2008
the tng movies left much to be desired...

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=85049&pages=1&show=0#post7

the series just didn't translate well.
Dec 11, 2009 12:40 AM

Jul 2009
TNG is my favorite closely followed by TOS. I started watching the series with VOY but Picard and Kirk are just to awesome XD
Jan 9, 2011 8:50 PM

Jun 2010
I'd have to say Enterprise. Because it deals with a lot of the species and technology that existed when Starfleet was just starting out and how the Federation came to be.
Oct 31, 2011 1:35 AM

May 2011
Star Trek DS9 is my all time favorite series because of the characters and the story line especially when The Dominion War started. I also happen to be a huge fan of Star Trek: TOS, TNG.
Nov 2, 2011 7:11 AM

Dec 2010
DS9 ftw. Great characters and the Dominion War was epic. And I had a thing for Dax ;)
Nov 2, 2011 10:37 AM

May 2011
Elixe_Idej said:
DS9 ftw. Great characters and the Dominion War was epic. And I had a thing for Dax ;)

Which Dax (Jadzia or Ezri)? Or maybe Lela, Tobin, Emony, Audrid, Torias, Joran, or Curzon? (J/K lol)
Nov 3, 2011 7:28 PM

Dec 2010
Sora_N said:
Elixe_Idej said:

Which Dax (Jadzia or Ezri)? Or maybe Lela, Tobin, Emony, Audrid, Torias, Joran, or Curzon? (J/K lol)

Or maybe the symbiont itself lol.
Nov 4, 2011 6:49 AM

May 2011
Elixe_Idej said:
Sora_N said:
Elixe_Idej said:

You got me there! :P

I really wish they hadn’t have killed off Jadiza. She was one of my favorite characters. Ezri is cool; however, she's no Jadiza!
Oct 26, 2012 6:55 PM

Mar 2008
Sora_N said:
Elixe_Idej said:
Sora_N said:
Elixe_Idej said:

You got me there! :P

I really wish they hadn’t have killed off Jadiza. She was one of my favorite characters. Ezri is cool; however, she's no Jadiza!

I liked Jadzia too-Her byplay with Worf & Sisko were always a highlight for me in DS9.
As for my favorite ST series-The Original Series with the animated series a close second.
trekkie01Feb 17, 2013 2:05 PM
Dec 18, 2012 3:14 AM

Dec 2012
I can easily say that TNG is my favourite ST series, with DS9 in a close second. I just can't think of anybody capable of playing Picard as well as Sir Patrick Stewart did.
Since when is scientific truth established by a poll? Democratic fundamentalism is spiralling out of control.

Nothing quite says "I'm warning you!" like a hot, noxious spray of toxic bodily fluids, right out of the anus.

I rate things by how much I enjoyed them, not by how good they are. My list is less trustworthy than a right-wing political manifesto if you're looking for reccomendations.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Favourite Ships

RandomChampion - Jun 9, 2013

0 by RandomChampion »»
Jun 9, 2013 2:04 PM

Poll: » TOS VS TNG (Captains)

Emptyk - May 13, 2009

8 by removed-user »»
Dec 17, 2012 12:01 AM

Poll: » What's your favorite Movie?

Emptyk - May 13, 2009

18 by Bonzai419 »»
Nov 2, 2011 7:18 AM

» Your Favorite Quotes Repository

olmecalmighty - Aug 15, 2009

0 by olmecalmighty »»
Aug 15, 2009 11:36 AM

» Star Trek 2009 Unnamed Sequel

Emptyk - May 14, 2009

18 by Emptyk »»
Aug 4, 2009 8:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.