Forum Settings
Forums

Hated characters that you love + those whose phenomenon you don't understand

New
3 hours ago
Sep 2015
As I announced in the title... There are two questions:

1. What characters do you love even though most people hate/dislike them and why?
Please, do NOT judge anyone's opinions. You can discuss tho!

2. What are the names of the characters whose phenomenon you don't understand?
This question is NOT about characters you hate, it IS about characters that are universally loved and incredibly popular, and yet you find them bland or boring...?

RULES... cause we kinda need them!
- You can write about characters from anime as well as from manga, manhwa, webtoons, etc... Please just provide the title they come from and information whether it is anime or manga!
- I am asking for polite comments, because as everyone knows, a character that bores one person may be another person's favorite character... and we certainly don't want to offend anyone!
- Let's also remember that these are fictional characters, and the fact that someone's fav is... for example... a murderer does NOT mean that we accept his actions!!!
_________

My answers will be in the comments.
Characters I will write about:

First question:
- Hisoka (Hunter x Hunter)
- Oh Sangwoo (Killing Stalking)
- Takumi Ichinose (NANA)
- Endeavor (Boku no Hero Academia)
- Mahito (Jujutsu Kaisen)
- Hikaru Kamiki (Oshi no Ko)
- Sakura Haruno ("Naruto")
- Near, Mello (Death Note)

Second question:
- Kakashi, Jiraya and Tsunade ("Naruto")
- and probably more...
2 hours ago
Sep 2015
2. What are the names of the characters whose phenomenon you don't understand?

All characters are from anime and manga "Naruto":

KAKASHI
I honestly admit that I loved him at the very beginning. His first appearance was fun, the first training with him was great, as was the fight with Zabuza. He was wonderful! But unfortunately... later Kakashi became more and more boring and I liked him less and less. It's not that I don't like him at all... I just don't understand why so many people love him that much. Over time, instead of getting cooler and stronger, he became... more bland and weaker :(
When it comes to his powers... I feel like he owes everything to Obito... He himself is kinda... weak.
People are also talking about his appearance... and I truly think that he isn't that handsome, xD

JIRAYA
I like him, but unfortunately his behavior irritated me terribly. A pervert to a fault. At least Kakashi hid with this book... but Jiraya openly showed what a pervert he was, even in front of kids. Yes, he taught Naruto many things and that deserves admiration and respect, and the end of his story is extremely sad (I cried)... but it won't change my opinion. He was irritating.

TSUNADE
I noticed with sadness that many people who adore her like her for her appearance. And because of this, I simply have the impression that she was created only to provide fanservice... for those who simply wanted a little bit of ecchi in "Naruto". I didn't like her personality either, but I must admit that her healing, strenght and hand-to-hand combat skills were impressive!
2 hours ago

May 2020
Its news to me that Hisoka is apparently disliked, as far as I know he is one of the fan favourites. I'm sure some people will dislike him simply because he is shown to like boys of the young variety but he's a villain for goodness sake, I feel like his unstable and crazy personality is part of what makes him so interesting.

Honestly for the most part I tend to generally agree with the character popularity, or at least I don't disagree to such a strong degree as to love a hated character, but let's try to think of some. Takemitchy comes to mind , I wouldn't say I really like him, he is a fairly standard delinquent protagonist in a fairly mediocre series, but I don't think he is quite as bad as people make him out to be. He kinda has "Naruto syndrome", being a little bit too goody two shoes and a little bit too bland to be a protagonist, but he's definitely not the worst protagonist out there as some people claim.

Mr. popo from dragonball is one character I actually really like although I don't know if he is hated per se. Again, people only see him through a racist lense because when you're a hammer everything looks like a nail, but for young me who watched dragonball and didn't even know about racism at the time he made an impression on me and I still think he is a very cool and mysterious character. I wish he actually got to do more stuff in the story but even as is I find it fun to think about his hidden potential if he actually wanted to use his powers to fight.

For the second question maybe I will go with frieren. I still have not seen the anime but it just baffles me how many people view her character as the best thing since sliced bread. Like what does she have going for her that makes her so amazing she easily takes the No.1 spot on MAL's rankings (well the anime did anyway, not sure about the character).

Other than that maybe Broly is a close second. For the longest time he was not even a canon character, I never understood his popularity. What does he bring to the table that makes him so compelling, he's just a maniac who goes crazy when fighting at full power and he's kinda strong, but in the grand scheme of things, not even that strong.
1 hour ago

Apr 2024
Doriss said:
1. What characters do you love even though most people hate/dislike them and why?

Bakugo is one of them , it looks like he's really appreciated but that's only because of stupid dumb ass fangirl who don't know anything about anime or his development making eddit of him because they are ugly , so they have to be wet and fantasm on fictional characters , but in the real communnity people don't like him because he was a hard bully , i really like him to the point he's my favourite fictional characters because i can identify to him.

Then there is Yoru who is hated since the chapter 168 because she raped Denji , i still love her (she's my fav anime girl) bc i love the fact that she is ready to do anything for her goals.

Doriss said:
What are the names of the characters whose phenomenon you don't understand?

Izuku (MHA)
Hawks (MHA)
Gojo(JJK)
Makise(Steins gate)
Hisoka (HXH)
Zakatsuki_1 hour ago
27 minutes ago

May 2018
1. I don't particularly like him, but since everyone and their mother have been hating on deku today, I thought I'd come out and say I don't think the hate is completely warranted. He's no worse than other shounen protagonists, and at the very least his character has emotions (unlike the op stone face badass isekai protag trope).

2. Frieren was probably my least favorite character of frieren, and even though I ended up liking the anime towards the very end, having such an expressionless protag affected my overall enjoyment. Even if it can be argued that her lack of expression and awkwardness is a result of her "not being human" and "being alive for centuries"... it doesn't change the fact that I disliked her character design as the mc. As a side character it would have been fine, since I don't think she's the worst ever. But for a character so well loved, I find myself not understanding her appeal.
can't yuck my yum

12 minutes ago

May 2021
"What characters do you love even though most people hate/dislike them and why?"
Takemichy. Many hate him because he is weak, but the series and himself brings a very positive message about being weak and still fighting; Saving everyone around you equal and not giving up. The show is telling a story about redemption, and if you hate him just because he is physically weak, there are countless anime with strong MCs. Its sad how so many did not understand the point of the show.

"What are the names of the characters whose phenomenon you don't understand?
Tbh I can understand every phenonmenon.

More topics from this board

» So is there any chance of any future anime taking 1 on MAL anymore? ( 1 2 3 )

00002019 - Nov 7, 2013

122 by Neterosan »»
14 seconds ago

» Who is the worst protagonist of all anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Skylar-whoo - Today

122 by Neterosan »»
4 minutes ago

» Does peoples are REALLY in love with their waifues or husbando?

Zakatsuki_ - 6 hours ago

11 by Zimmu »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » is your morals above anime?

deg - Jul 21

39 by Rinrinka »»
28 minutes ago

» Did you have favorite anime school

Kirika_Madeleine - Today

19 by Lost_Viking »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.