Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 8, 2:54 PM

Dec 2018
I was looking at the Tower of God anime ("Kami no Tou") and thought about how weird it is for it to be using a Japanese romaji title, instead of an English or Korean one.
Same with "Ore dake Level Up na Ken"

It isn't a Japanese series. That isn't the original title. This isn't even a Japanese website.
I get that the anime were (mostly?) made in Japan, but still.

The titles should really either use the original Korean title or the English one.

Other Korean things on the website (other anime like The God of High School or Noblesse, and manhwas like the Tower of God manhwa, Lookism, Solo Leveling, or Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint) use English titles, so it's weird that only some of the anime adaptations, like Solo Leveling or Tower of God, use Japanese romaji titles. I don't even see a single one that uses the original Korean title, unlike how every Japanese thing uses a romaji title.

If changing the titles would cause too big of a problem, I'd like to at least see an explanation for why some Korean anime adaptations use Japanese titles while others use English.
My only guess is that it's because the anime adaptations for these specific series are mainly Japanese (as in, the main version of the anime adaptation is Japanese and uses Japanicized names like "Shun Mizushino" or "25 no Yoru")
AlzeanaJul 8, 3:55 PM
Jul 8, 3:28 PM
Aug 2016
The Tower of God and Solo Leveling anime are Japanese productions with Japanese names, the names they were originally released under. If they were Korean productions, they would use the Korean names.

For another foreign language source material comparison: Ie Naki Ko is called Ie Naki Ko and not Sans Famille or Nobody's Boy. The Japanese production was released under the Japanese name, not the French title of the novel, or that of its English translation.
And an even more illuminating example: Haha wo Tazunete Sanzenri, a Japanese adaptation, and Eomma Chaja Sammanli, a Korean adapation of Dagli Appennini alle Ande (From The Appenines to the Andes), a part of the novel Cuore (Heart), originally published in Italian. What matters is the original name of the production, not the source material, though one is usually derived from the other (except in this case where the Japanese title translates to 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother).

As for manhwa using English titles, some of them simply have English titles. The God of High School and Noblesse are still called that in Korean, the titles are simply transliterations. I don't pretend to know what the underlying reasons are for the ones where the names don't line up (like Solo Leveling), I can't say I ever interacted with these titles before.
Jul 8, 6:30 PM

Mar 2008
It would be easy to fix by just giving a generic term like "native title" so no need for extra identification of changing everything manually and this was suggested ages ago. The devs dont watch this board.

More topics from this board

» The required minimum length for reviews should be lower.

scrimau - Oct 19, 2020

31 by Madmatt505 »»
Yesterday, 7:40 AM

» Modernise club and blog comments and add in edit feature for club comments

_cjessop19_ - Nov 13, 2023

2 by LittleStar »»
Yesterday, 1:16 AM

» Warning message in Messages that tell us that the person only accepts messages from friends only or has it disabled entirely

_cjessop19_ - Jul 23

12 by Shishio-kun »»
Jul 31, 1:42 PM

» Add the option to choose the episodes or chapters you watched

WraFh - Jul 31

0 by WraFh »»
Jul 31, 9:43 AM

» Ability to sort Interest Stacks by different means

_cjessop19_ - Mar 8

3 by IridescentJaune »»
Jul 30, 4:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.