Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 10, 9:54 PM
Nov 2019
I really appreciate a less excitable, non-traditionally ambitious, resistant to romance (understanding their place and not seeking to engage due to understanding they're not beneficial for a potential partner), but generally kind/well-meaning protagonist to ground a show.

But I also really liked the friend character and the arc of understanding that he is not special as others are, so that would also be good, or perhaps acceptable criteria for recommendation with or without less excitable protagonist.

I'm not very good with character deconstruction so I'm not sure how to explain exactly what I'm looking for, and I'm not sure if there is more of what I'm looking for, but I wanted to ask.

I'm also adverse to "fan-service" or the cliche "romance" situations in certain genre's of anime, (revealing camera angles, accidental breast touch (especially played up, blech), etc...), so if there is a show that might contain what I'm looking for but is riddled with this... I suppose it can still be suggested, but I'd appreciate forewarning so I can consider whether it's worth watching or not.

I suppose in the end what I'm looking for is a possibly relatable anime? Which I'm sure is different for different people, but if your willing to think through your viewing memories for a stranger, than think what someone who struggles to be ambitious, considers romance narrowly (doesn't appreciate "lust" induced relationships, doesn't appreciate their own "lusts", etc...), and likes to think of themselves as pragmatic (though they are likely just deluding themselves.)

It's probably discouraging to someone who might have read this far and has ideas present (thank you, that is kind to attempt to aid a stranger in their search) but I have seen some that would probably more immediately jump to mind as similar, these being:

Melancholy of Haruhi: (had some fan-service, but was tolerable, so that might be an indicator for tolerablility (though i may have become less tolerant over the years... who knows?)
ToraDora: (also fan-service, which makes me cringe now, and wonder at my penchant for indulgent attention to characters...)
Monster: (I don't know if the main character was necessarily less excitable or anything, but the villain had me intrigued to the last, and I can see some similarities in mannerisms with the antagonist and the currently suggested protagonist.)
Teen Romcom Snafu: (I... really don't know that I should admit to watching this (to myself least of all) as the angels and some interactions are quite comprimising, but the main character kept me engaged, let that reflect as poorly on me as I think it does.)
Beyond the boundary: (This may also reflect less than admirably on me, but self-sacrificial characters that are unkown/unsung (at least at first) are a bit of hook for me as well.)

Okay, I think that's all the relevant information for me to give. probably. Well maybe not, but this is too much already.

Sorry I didn't explain my searchings(?) (there's probably a better word here but I have terrible vocabulary memory, much to my chagrin.) very articulately. I'm fairly certain at times my poor habits have led to linguistic and memory based deterioration... But I hope any benevolent souls that read some or any of this can get an idea of what I'm looking for and that somehow it results in finding a gem I've yet to find wind of. If not... well, what can be expected, this is so niche and specific It's statistically improbable I've found related material already.

Thank you to any generous persons who so charitably attempt anything with this especially specific request, you have my gratitude!
May 11, 4:22 PM

Aug 2012
If I'm correctly understanding what you're looking for then maybe try:

Natsume Yuujinchou
Beautiful Bones

More topics from this board

» Looking for anime recs

Saiunknown - May 22

12 by Saiunknown »»
50 minutes ago

» I'm looking for mature, realistic high school romance media

KietaTeenRomance - May 30

9 by ConnorMcDavid97 »»
6 hours ago

» Fantasy Setting and Magics Anime

shiroha - Jun 2

8 by shiroha »»
11 hours ago

» Anime/movie suggestions?

Rance-sama - Yesterday

7 by xKursed »»
Yesterday, 4:47 PM

» Looking for chillin horror anime about ghosts

Shabo-kun - May 31

10 by Vslayer »»
Yesterday, 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.