Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sugar Apple Fairy Tale (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 17, 2023 3:59 PM

Apr 2023
Disclaimer: I haven’t watched Sugar Apple Fairy Tale and it’s second season all the way (yet). But I just wanted to say how I noticed that Bridget seems to get a lot of hate from the fandom to point that some people like my myself are willing to defend her. However I’m not writing this to defend her actions, but I feel that most people tend to overlook that she, along with Anne, are living in a system that looks down on women and fairy slavery is normalized; so that leave some sympathy for Bridget to some viewers (or readers).

But is it true that Bridget did bad things? Yes. But I feel like the real person we should be hating is Jonas and that green-haired fairy guy.

Minna Tomodachi, Minna Aidoru~!- Laala Manaka
Jul 17, 2023 4:12 PM

Jan 2013
People hating on Bridget more than Jonas is fucking wild. Yes, she stole Shall, but she's not exactly some cartoonish villain, she's a pretty pathetic and pitiable character. Yeah, it shouldn't be overlooked that women are definitely second-class citizens in that sort of era and time period. It goes without saying that her actions aren't justifiable, but I'm going to look at you funny if you have no empathy for her character whatsoever after you see what she's dealing with. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 17, 2023 4:43 PM
Aug 2020
Bridget forced to live life father order her to. Had no special skills cuz she was restrained like bird by her father. I find it sad and cute how she wanted attention from anne fairy. She wants freedom of chooice. I wanted to hate her but suprisingly i dont. There is lots of ppl to hate in this anime especialy that blonde fag who used anne as jumping start to his glory.
Jul 17, 2023 5:30 PM
Apr 2020
The reason bridget gets hate is due to her selfish actions . As you said women are not treated as equals which means you look out for your fellow women but bridget did not care about anne and hurt her . I have to say it's a pretty valid reason to hate her

Jonas is an even bigger fool he wants to stand out gain status and his desperation leads to so many people getting hurt . He did redeem himself later but only a bit i hope bridget follows the same path
hannibal_lJul 17, 2023 5:35 PM
Jul 17, 2023 6:27 PM

Apr 2023
hannibal_l said:
The reason bridget gets hate is due to her selfish actions . As you said women are not treated as equals which means you look out for your fellow women but bridget did not care about anne and hurt her . I have to say it's a pretty valid reason to hate her

Jonas is an even bigger fool he wants to stand out gain status and his desperation leads to so many people getting hurt . He did redeem himself later but only a bit i hope bridget follows the same path
Same. I hope she changes for the better too.
Minna Tomodachi, Minna Aidoru~!- Laala Manaka
Jul 17, 2023 11:06 PM

Jan 2019
No one has ever said that Jonas was a good guy, but also later in the season it felt like he started to change his ways ever so slightly, regretting his actions. Bridget on the other hand only hurt Anne and used Shall for her selfish request.

To add to the last part, I don't think women are treated badly in that anime, if I recall correctly, it's only sugar apple masters are more often than not, are male?
Jul 18, 2023 1:29 AM
Jan 2023
Seriously? In this world people need someone to hate. And in this series Bridget is the person/character receiving the hate.
Jul 18, 2023 5:01 AM
Feb 2016
i believe Bridget will get the potential to grow as a character and be better. i hope she gets the chance to do something for herself. It is def her father strict upbringing and misogyny fault. HOWEVER, that DOES NOT excuse her abuse and dare i say *tigger warning* SA of Shall. Her own trauma doesn’t excuse her behavior.
Jul 18, 2023 6:30 AM

Oct 2019
Not every villain needs a redemption arc, or even the slightest bit of pity.
Bridget has both a fiancé and 1 living parent who ensured she grew up comfortably. If she wanted to pursue a career as a sugar master, she could’ve courageously left everything behind and worked her way up (as Anne did).

How can you solely blame the patriarchal society of this anime for Bridget being a flat out HORRIBLE human and threatening Anne’s livelihood as a means to steal away the only companion/defender/peace of mind left in Anne’s life…? (not counting Mythrill)

This is a textbook case of Bridget needing to check her privilege. Girl’s gotta realize that her existence alone does not entitle her to anyyythinggg, especially that which belongs to someone else AND things she didn’t have the courage to work for herself. Buggin
Jul 18, 2023 9:02 AM
Aug 2017
gabfive said:
Not every villain needs a redemption arc, or even the slightest bit of pity.
Bridget has both a fiancé and 1 living parent who ensured she grew up comfortably. If she wanted to pursue a career as a sugar master, she could’ve courageously left everything behind and worked her way up (as Anne did).

How can you solely blame the patriarchal society of this anime for Bridget being a flat out HORRIBLE human and threatening Anne’s livelihood as a means to steal away the only companion/defender/peace of mind left in Anne’s life…? (not counting Mythrill)

This is a textbook case of Bridget needing to check her privilege. Girl’s gotta realize that her existence alone does not entitle her to anyyythinggg, especially that which belongs to someone else AND things she didn’t have the courage to work for herself. Buggin

fr. I don't like her, and I won't like her. she's had a life of privilege. yes, she has to do what her dad says. but that doesn't mean she has to be an asshat. she's selfish ond cruel. idc if she has any redemption. she squeezed shell's wing and hurt him. unacceptable.
Jul 18, 2023 10:14 AM
Nov 2021
LostSpectre said:
People hating on Bridget more than Jonas is fucking wild. Yes, she stole Shall, but she's not exactly some cartoonish villain, she's a pretty pathetic and pitiable character. Yeah, it shouldn't be overlooked that women are definitely second-class citizens in that sort of era and time period. It goes without saying that her actions aren't justifiable, but I'm going to look at you funny if you have no empathy for her character whatsoever after you see what she's dealing with. 

I feel like Jonas at this point seems more harmless and goofy and is thus not hated as much as Bridget. At first I despised the guy but honestly the way he was always there and tried shit and yet always failed just made me stop taking him seriously one day, on top of that it seems like he's actually kinda changing. I don't think Bridget is worse than Jonas, on the contrary actually she has better reasons to be like this. But it makes sense why she's hated so much right now, when she's not only annoying and constantly harming our fav characters but also (at least until p2 ep2) actually a threatening character that does have some power and unpredictability. Obviously I see that she's struggling and the feminist in me really wants to be forgiving but until she changes I really can't bring myself to not hate her. She's so selfish and honestly just a horrible person but I think she'll get that redemption arc so I don't wanna be too final on that.
Her dialogue is also not making this any better...the constant "no one pays attention to me :((" is obviously a real and valid feeling but it certainly could be portrayed in a less annoying way. It's like she's fishing for the audiences pity when she's dramatically breaking down on the floor and saying the most boring monologue and it makes me wanna care less about her feelings.
Jul 18, 2023 12:05 PM
Jun 2021
You can defend Bridget all you like but she is the sole reason I’m not even going to start season 2 after enjoying most of season 1. She’s a piece of shit, you can’t change my mind.
Dec 16, 2023 2:40 AM

Aug 2017
Bridget's hot. She would be a good part of a harem.
Jan 14, 4:49 PM

Jun 2009
Reply to drinfantom
You can defend Bridget all you like but she is the sole reason I’m not even going to start season 2 after enjoying most of season 1. She’s a piece of shit, you can’t change my mind.
@drinfantom lol that's some hatred, how can you even live with that cliffhanger? I need to continue watching and see her land face first in the dirt lol
Mar 5, 7:16 AM

Mar 2013
Are you guys insane? She sexually assaults him in this scene forcing him to kiss her, I have no doubt that she would ask him to do more as a companion fairy would. She does not view the fairy as an equal she views him as a pet, as a lesser being, she has made him a sex slave. How on earth are you guys not viewing the depth of depravity that stems from sexual based crimes.

She is an absolute monster. He vocally says he does not consent to her advances, does not want to be with her and she requests for her fiancee to steal away his freedom. Then she uses suicide as a coercion tactic then forces his hand into being her SEX SLAVE. How could you possibly condone this. I am personally judging each and everyone of you in this comment section and especially you OP.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sugar Apple Fairy Tale Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2023

127 by sunshine_inpiece »»
Mar 29, 6:27 AM

Poll: » Sugar Apple Fairy Tale Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2023

166 by WanderingGoddess »»
Jan 29, 11:39 AM

Poll: » Sugar Apple Fairy Tale Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2023

46 by Beweya »»
Dec 6, 2023 10:59 PM

Poll: » Sugar Apple Fairy Tale Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zaxphred - Jan 27, 2023

87 by CarbonMD »»
Dec 5, 2023 7:17 PM

Poll: » Sugar Apple Fairy Tale Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2023

66 by Wildflower3 »»
Nov 15, 2023 5:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.