Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 28, 2019 6:11 PM

Sep 2015
I am about to start watching this franchise, and I was wondering which one I should watch first;
G.U. Trilogy
or
G.U. Returner?

MAL says G.U. Returner is a sequel to G.U. Trilogy, but Returner also aired before Trilogy.
I was planning on watching this series in release/airing order, but that would mean watching the sequel, G.U. Returner, before G.U. Trilogy.
Is this the way it was intended to be watched or should the U.G. Trilogy be watched first because it is a prequel?
Or does the watching order for these two even matter?

Thanks for the help.
Feb 23, 2021 6:15 AM

Jul 2016
Over a year late, but I might as well say this for anyone wondering.

Don't watch Trilogy. Pick up .hack//G.U. Last Recode for PS4 or PC, then watch Returner. Trilogy is not a good substitute for the games at all.
Feb 23, 2021 6:56 AM

Sep 2015
qwertyMrJINX said:

Don't watch Trilogy. Pick up .hack//G.U. Last Recode for PS4 or PC, then watch Returner. Trilogy is not a good substitute for the games at all.
Okay thanks. But what about if you just want to watch everything .Hack related and are insistent on watching Trilogy as well?
Feb 24, 2021 4:12 AM

Jul 2016
Salokannel2 said:
qwertyMrJINX said:

Okay thanks. But what about if you just want to watch everything .Hack related and are insistent on watching Trilogy as well?

If you must watch Trilogy, then watch it after playing Last Recode (specifically volumes 1-3). Then you'll at least understand all of the context that the movie omits.

Whether or not you choose to watch Returner before or after doesn't really matter, since Trilogy doesn't cover that part of the story.
Feb 24, 2021 7:44 AM

Sep 2015
qwertyMrJINX said:
Salokannel2 said:

If you must watch Trilogy, then watch it after playing Last Recode (specifically volumes 1-3). Then you'll at least understand all of the context that the movie omits.

Whether or not you choose to watch Returner before or after doesn't really matter, since Trilogy doesn't cover that part of the story.
okay, thanks!
I'll probs continue .hack this year so this will come in handy~

More topics from this board

Poll: » .hack//G.U. Trilogy Episode 1 Discussion

GrumpyFelo - Apr 19, 2008

26 by CcCharles »»
Apr 27, 2023 1:38 AM

» Hack//Roots closure

theanimefreak95 - Apr 4, 2015

4 by jefferye »»
Jun 17, 2015 10:06 PM

» .hack//G.U. Trilogy

nikolai_131 - Oct 23, 2007

24 by haseo16 »»
Mar 29, 2010 7:39 AM

» after the credits

sesgel - Apr 19, 2008

5 by Zoki-chan »»
May 2, 2008 2:49 PM

» Sub?

Vince - Mar 31, 2008

3 by Chicken008 »»
Apr 12, 2008 11:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.