Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 2, 2010 2:43 PM

Dec 2009
Most archive and community websites allow for comments, and I was curious to know what writers and readers thought of reviews. Please feel free to elaborate or add your own thoughts while responding! :)

As an author, are getting reviews important to you? Or is it only the quality of the review that matters, rather than the number? When a story you post receives no comments, how does that make you feel? If the archive allows, do you reply to the reviews you get? Do you make it a point to read and review other writers, or do you just exclusively write.

To the readers, do you review stories? Every story you read, or do you prefer to only be polite and leave a comment for works you enjoy? Or are you on the opposite scale, and only leave feedback on a bad work? Have you ever flamed a story, and what was your motivation? Does it upset you if the author doesn't respond to your review?

As for me, I do admit that I can be a little needy at times and therefore like to get reviews on my fics. However, I truly don't feel they are necessary as long as I am proud of my pieces. It's nice to get reviews, and of course helpful to get constructive feedback, but I won't throw a temper-tantrum if a fic gets "ignored". I know there's plenty of reasons why stories I write don't get reviews, and is no way a reflection of how I write.

I also appreciate all kinds of reviews, from well thought-out critiques, to a brief sentence of "this is good, keep writing". Honestly, I also am not offended by nasty flamers, or writing-Nazi's that just troll archives looking to knit-pick every single sentence. Every comment I get I realize there's a reason behind it, and I try to understand everyone's viewpoint. All of it can help me grow as a writer.

Back when I started writing and posting to FanFiction.net, there was no elaborate system that allowed for private messaging or authors to reply to reviews left (that I recall) - so I did not respond to my reviewers. Today, I do like to at least say "thank you" to everyone that takes the time to read and review. Unless it's an anonymous post, to which I cannot reply.

I don't often read fanfic, I'm sorry to say, only because I have such rare tastes and look for serious, quality works. But when I do find something that sparks my interest enough to read it, I will leave a review every time. I try to make thoughtful comments on what I liked, as well as what I thought could be better, and I do it in a nice manner; I never want to offend anyone. Sometimes, though, I will leave just a one-liner if I can't think of anything else to say. *shrugs*
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 2, 2010 3:09 PM

Dec 2009
I don't mind review so long as there is substance to it. I detest the "Lawl! this was epix, rite moar!" type of reviews.
Feb 2, 2010 4:19 PM

Jul 2008
In my honest opinion, a review is where you reason out why you like a story or not. If you like a story but feel that the author needs to improve a little on his or her writing then constructive criticisms are more than welcomed, because I feel that the opinions of other writers will motivate me to improve.
Feb 5, 2010 10:14 PM
Jun 2008
As an author, is getting reviews important to me? I wouls say, yes... they are important to me, but I choose not to sweat it. And the quality of the reviews definatly matters, because I like knowing what or what not a reader likes, and as someone who wishes to improve as a writer, I look for good hard critique. I used to, I admit, make the point to read and review other people's work, when they read my stories, but the problem came, some of them wrote in fandoms I was unfamiliar with. I also TRY to reply to every review given to me, if the person allows.

One of the reasons I like reviews is because, I can always tell myself a story, and I have so many ideas, I might as well post one that people are goign to listen to. Stories that get zero reviews, I look at genera, type, and fandom... same with some of the lower ones, or what type of story it is. Some fanfics, are simply going to be more popular then others.

I am, as a reader, also a critiquer. I tend to be hard, whether I like the fanfic or not, for I base my reviews on what works, and has not. I leave reviews for both good and bad fanfics, and even ones that aren't my-cup-of-tea, if I happen into them. I will also admit, I have flamed a story, or two. My motivation... well, I don't try to flame, but there are times that my words don't come through the way they needed to.

For example, this one time, I had a LOT of points to make about the fanfic, it was so bad, and I was actually trying NOT to hurt the person's feelings, and kept cutting it down, and simplifing it. Bad move seriously on my part. When I flame, I try to appologize to the authors, but I only appologize for what I did wrong, not the points I made that were correct.

One of the reasons I critique hard, is I expect people to do the same for me. The other reason is, I know from talking to some of the newer writers, they seriously don't understand the difference, persay, between fanfiction, and original work desquised as fanfiction, or that they need to put their best foot foward.

The other reason is, it is my way to counter the flamers. I rather try to encourage the person to become a better writer, rather then to quit completly. I don't care if flamers and neo-nazi hit my profile. I have a thing, where I tend to block them when I see them, because I feel that if they are willing to act like complete jerks, they can't review my work. I don't care about their opinion, and it is another way for me to stick it in their face.

Because, truth be told, there is only so much I can do to counter them in my reviews I do...
Feb 13, 2010 11:35 PM
Jun 2008
What do you guys think of, "I am not going to update until I have x number of reviews." Let's just say, I am tempted to put, "I am not going to update until I have zero or more reviews." On one of my fanfics... actually... I am going to do that.

Basically, whenever I see that, I have to question why that person is writing fanfiction. It almost seems like the soul purpose for doing it, is to garnish as many reivews as possible. The majority of the time I see this, it is on a fanfic that is well written, but not likely to get noticed, which stinks, or it is on a fanfic that is in truth, not that well written, and doesn't deserve that many reviews. I also find this behavior a gag fest.

That being said, it is one thing, when I beg for reviews on my brother's fanfics, which I scribe for. It is also another thing, to say something like, one is more likely to update it if they get reviews, or they would like one review, before they post the next chapter... espessully if they have a cliffhanger that they rather need to see someones reaction for.

I also don't like it when some fanfic writers clique, to get reviews. Over in Shugo Chara, I doubt that back in 2008, anyone actually read anyone elses stories, except to get their hormonal kicks out of them.
Feb 14, 2010 1:20 PM

Dec 2009
Honestly, within my chosen fandoms, I don't see authors giving their readers ultimatums too often. However, it is ridiculous, and clearly shows that the person is merely writing for the attention. If that's the case, then I don't believe said person has any passion for writing. A true author writes to write, because there's that part of you that desires to tell a good story, and show a connection/appreciation to your characters. If you have to threaten to halt a story should you not get any "love" - well, you obviously have no love for your own writing.

I do see author's posting "Please R&R" in their synopsis and that gets my goat. I usually stay away from fanfics that demand or beg their readers to R&R right up front because I feel it's the author announcing the story isn't that great and they want to be consoled with praise. For one, a synopsis should tell me what the story is about and lure me into reading the piece, not show the writer's need for feedback. Any quality story should stand on its own two feet, and move me enough to review. I don't want to feel like I have to at the start.

I am glad you brought up the fanfic writers clique dilemma. Whenever I see stories that have a ton of reviews, I get interested enough to check out the fic, thinking it must be awesome. And then, after finding a mediocre story or something horribly written, I look at the reviewers and realize it's nothing but the fanficcer's "groupies", or even real life friends. Sometimes it seems like those are the only people reading fanfics, but that's a shame because obviously those readers are only reading the works of their friends. Which kinda explains why my stories pass under the radar; I don't have followers, friends, or my own clique. *shrugs*
Feb 15, 2010 12:29 PM
Jun 2008
How to put it... the only reason I have such a following with my fanfiction, is because I have written so much of it. I have seen quite a few cases of "groupies" and real life friends being problematic.

I know of one case, where I came across five writers who happened to be friends in real life. I came down hard on one of the writers, and one of them went and responded that I would have five people on my case, if I said anything morre negative about one of that persons fanfics.

What they were writing, wasn't really fanfiction either, it was RPGing in a way, where each one happened to be a sister of a character from the fandom... each. They even named each of their profiles after this, and happened to mention that their OC knew the other people's OC.

There was no explanation why their character was able to be related to the canon characters. Their excuse was, the five of them knew... however, the problem with that is, when you post to the net, it isn't just for yourself, or just for your friends. While it might not matter to them, whether or not there was an explanation, good writing gives explanations of things.

I've had one writer who told me flat out, that they didn't see why they should have the negative points of their fanfic pointed out, and that mistakes weren't a big deal. Fanfiction writing though, isn't a game, but a craft. And they had not been around fanfiction enough to really understand this either...

On top of the gusher reviews, as I like to call them, I hate flamers. I still get eritated with this one review, simply because of the fact that the reviewer told me I was using to much expository narative. I became furious with them, because they couldn't tell me how I was using too much, and they couldn't explain to me what it meant. Turns out, they were just repeating stuff they read in some article, without really knowing the legists of it. Oh... and this person told me I spelled prolog wrong, and that it should be spelled prologue.
Dec 6, 2010 2:39 PM

Dec 2009
It's quite refreshing to read how those who have replied prefer to get constructive criticisms, rather than shiny, one-line-praise reviews! I'm pleased to know you all care about writing a good story for others to read. :)

In the fandom I currently write for, I was slammed several months back for leaving a review that pointed out flaws and questioned the lack of canon. I was not flaming, and I did not mean it in a cruel way. In fact, I was asking the author to ponder on some of her own plot-holes because the story had some pros, and could have been a good story if she had just thought about what she was telling us.

Instead, I got instant backlash on how stupid I was and that I ought to get my facts straight; in an ironic turn, she misspelled one of the main character's names, and soiled her letter with poor structure and further misspellings of simple words. Heh. She said she only wrote it for fun, so it didn't have to be well-written and the ideas didn't have to make sense. She went even further by blocking me (so she could have the last word - or so she thought) and adding a tagline of quote-unquote "Don't like my writing? Do me a favor and don't fucking read it!" to her profile and fics.

Her childish outburst was darkly amusing, considering the biggest reason I had even attempted to read her work was because she went trolling for reviews. She half-heartedly left reviews for other authors in the fandom (including me, though I don't believe she actually read the story) so I thought I'd show her the common courtesy of doing the same. Afterwards, I saw in the forum she was also begging for reviews, blatantly touting herself, and then said she was open to outside opinions. WTF?! Oo

Because the forum was open, I offered reasonings in my defense, intelligently and not immature as she had. And she has since removed the story, which was another show of childish rage. Again, a shame because the story had potential. *rolls eyes*

All because she couldn't handle constructive criticism. And you know what? Even a flaming negative review will have some semblance of truth to it, some tidbit of how you can improve. You just have to accept the fact that not everyone will love your work, but it's out there for everyone to read. Suck it up, and be prepared to accept criticism (brutual or sugar-coated) from people who may or may not like your fic.

And that's my own review horror story! :P

As a postscript, I'd like to mention what even FanFiction.net has to say when you go to post a review:
A well rounded critique is often the most rewarding gift a reader can give. Please use this golden opportunity to offer a well deserved praise and/or tips for improvement.

Snap. And I try to do just that. I would hope other readers would do the same for my stories.
Dec 8, 2010 4:34 PM
Jun 2008
If her work is hot off the press, report it. If she uses those tag lines in her actual fanfics, report her for not respecting the reviewer. I would also write a lengthy report, reporting her reviews and saying she's spam reviewing, using the review system so that she can get reviews. Keep an eye on her, things like that.

That said, I abide by the site rules, or try to when reviewing. And I don't put up with tirades. Actually, there are a couple of people that I've passed on to the CU, a group that specializes in rule breaking fics. One wrote all twenty plus fanfics in script format and I've given her over a year to start reformating her fics, not to mention she also said she does it because she disagrees with the rules. Another... she's plagerized a LOT of stuff. This includes, believe it or not, Shakesphere.
Jul 28, 2011 6:23 PM

Dec 2009
Yemi_Hikari, you are my idol! I admire how serious you take the world of fan fiction. w(^o^)W

I don't typically bother with contacting FanFiction.net because I've tried twice in the past - not for anything serious like this, just asking to have a subcategory created - and have not gotten replies. Not once. *shrugs* Anyway, that particular author deleted her story, and has not been back to the website since. Her profile still bashes reviewers (me, obviously) but I don't plan on wasting anymore time on her childish outbursts. Feh.
Jul 28, 2011 7:16 PM
Jun 2008
I've had luck getting fandoms and characters added. I suggested adding a few more genre and I have seen them added to the site and I suggested adding the OC tag to all of the fandoms.

I've dealt recently and I hope not to ever deal with again someone who doesn't like not just critique of her work, but of the fanfics of other writers that she likes and wants continued.

Also, you should see some of the stuff that you can find by going through the Pottersues archive. Some fanfic writers lashed out to some very nice reviews, others... somehow they ended up getting a link to where their fanfic was sporked reviewed and went off. Why people act like that I think I'll never now.
Jul 14, 2015 6:20 PM

Jun 2011
As any author would agree, reviews of their works could be considered important. It's all good that you work on a project and feel happy with it, but getting other people's opinions can help with improving it. The only problem is how people review. Obviously, constructive criticism is usually greatly appreciated ("your story was very good, but the characters didn't seem very true to themselves", "It was a bit short. Maybe try to make it a bit longer" etc.). This is how creators improve. Trolls will undoubtedly pop their heads up from time to time, but there's really no escaping them. Non-helpful comments can also be given, though how they're taken will depend on their content. Example: I did a K-On!! x Slender fanfic. One reader posted 'I'm not getting any sleep'. It wasn't a constructive comment, but I found it funny. Things like that I think are okay.
Basically, it all comes down to the individual. Some think that reviews of their works are important, some don't. I would probably place myself somewhere in the middle. I appreciate helpful reviews, and I enjoy hearing that people liked the stories I did, but I wouldn't label them as 'very important'.
Jul 22, 2015 7:51 PM
May 2014
For me, even if it is a short review that tells me something like "I like the story! Keep it up!" really helps to push myself to write more stories since it gives me a sense of purpose. It makes me feel like I'm not doing this just for myself but for others who reading my story.
Of course constructive criticism is the best since it tells how I can improve my writing and what I am doing wrong so I can improve it. But I really dislike those that just say nothing good about the story and use unnecessary swear words to express their opinion. It just really angers me. I mean I understand not all people will like my story but you don't need to swear to get your points across.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» What fandom do you write for? ( 1 2 )

megara - Oct 13, 2007

50 by windeen-windy »»
Apr 18, 2018 11:40 PM

» Advertise your fanfic ( 1 2 )

green_tea - Feb 2, 2008

55 by KHfreak813 »»
Jan 20, 2018 5:43 PM

» A ridiculously long rec list

ARandomGuy_ - Nov 2, 2015

0 by ARandomGuy_ »»
Nov 2, 2015 9:31 PM

Poll: » Name Some Great Crossovers!!!

Yemi_Hikari - Mar 13, 2009

3 by Arte21 »»
Apr 4, 2014 5:14 AM

» Mary Sue/Gary Stu

Yemi_Hikari - Feb 18, 2010

9 by Yemi_Hikari »»
Jul 13, 2011 1:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.