Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 13, 2016 3:48 PM
Jun 2014
Here I come with a new original activity that will help you interact with other members as well as also developing skills that go beyond just drawing.

A simple and short explanation of what to do would be:
Someone writes a script and somebody else draws a storyboard for that story.

Of course we need some guides to follow. The script has to describe what's happening and the characters' dialogues, but not specific instructions on how to do every panel. The story should be between 5 and 10 pages worth of manga. And the drawing part doesn't need to be very detailed, it's just a story board. The important thing here is to learn how to layout a manga.
Here is an example of mine (just 2 pages long):

Script:

Storyboard

So if you want to participate, make a post in this thread and next friday I will randomly select the pairings.

I will also give feed back to everyone.
YamamotoSenseiMay 13, 2016 3:54 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 14, 2016 5:51 AM

Dec 2015
My Entry:
[contestant No.1]
"Storyline by"_Euphemia_chan!
"Illustration by"_Ervic Dess Sthrathos

My Sample work:
(Still on working)[5 Page's to go!!]

I ruined the last page! Heheheeheh!!!! XD!
Moriya_sanMay 17, 2016 3:40 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2016 8:15 AM
Jun 2014
Ervic_Euphemia12 said:
My Entry:
[contestant No.1]'Chibi Maker" _Euphemia_chan!

I have a Question sensei
is it okay to use chibi characters?

100% okay. As I said, the important thing is here is the layout and not the art itself.

One thing, is it only you Euphemia?
May 15, 2016 1:40 PM

Sep 2015
I am enter... ing!
can dis sig fit
May 16, 2016 2:00 AM
Aug 2014
I am participating too.
May 16, 2016 4:47 AM
Oct 2015
Silly me. I thought I was supposed to write a story/script already, and thus I didn't post my intentions of participating, since i was not finished with a story/script. But now I'm realizing that I was just supposed to say that I'm participating here, so I'll do that now.

I'm participating.

EDIT: May i ask if you, @YamamotoSensei is participating as well?
May 16, 2016 5:13 AM
Apr 2016
I'm participating

Sample work:
May 16, 2016 5:14 AM

Jan 2016
YamamotoSensei, I just received a message from Euphemia.

I guess I will join in too. :)
May 16, 2016 5:14 AM
Jun 2014
Kohakuuusch said:

EDIT: May i ask if you, @YamamotoSensei is participating as well?

I will only if the number of participants is an odd number.
Just so nobody ends up forever alone.
May 16, 2016 7:55 AM

Jun 2014
Um, when's the due date of the actual manga? Depending on that, I may or may not participate...
( ◞・౪・)◞ Your waifu is shit~ ˖°
°˖ Get a husbando~ ー(´▽` )ゝ
*does the megane thing*
(⌐⊙ω⊙)و ̑
May 16, 2016 10:23 AM
Jun 2014
DarXX26 said:
Um, when's the due date of the actual manga? Depending on that, I may or may not participate...

I think I will give 1 week for everyone to finish the script and then 3 weeks to do the pages.

Please, remember that we don't want to do detailed and completely finished pages. It's just a storyboard, Quick sketches of what the pages will look like, how the panels are placed, what you display on each panel and the way you convey the story in general. Art quality or style will not be considered when I give feedback.

I feel the need to keep repeating this as it sounds like everyone is misunderstanding, it's something that you should be able to make within 3 days even if you slack off like there's no tomorrow.
May 16, 2016 12:19 PM

Jun 2014

Okay, so everyone who participates makes a script AND a storyboard of someone's script, right? And also... Will we be cleaning up our storyboards and coloring them in another forum? That'd be cool!
Haha, sorry, last questions~ ^_^;;
worldsimoutoMay 16, 2016 12:26 PM
*does the megane thing*
(⌐⊙ω⊙)و ̑
May 16, 2016 3:21 PM
Jun 2014
DarXX26 said:

Okay, so everyone who participates makes a script AND a storyboard of someone's script, right? And also... Will we be cleaning up our storyboards and coloring them in another forum? That'd be cool!
Haha, sorry, last questions~ ^_^;;

Don't worry, you can ask all you want.

Yes, you will do a script for someone else to draw AND you will receive a script for you to draw.

I personally am not a huge fan of colouring manga pages(I mean, it's cool when you colour the firs 3-4 pages, but not a full colour manga), but that's a personal preference anyway.
I would also like to keep this activity as a way to improve layout and story telling techniques rather than artistic skills that will definitely improve by mere practice. And I think that not many member will actually have the time to completely finish all that.
BUT if you are really happy with your script or your storyboard, you can always finish it and publish it on Tapastic (of course, with permission and giving credit to the other part if there is any), share it to the club and I will be more than happy to give you feedback.
May 16, 2016 5:14 PM

Jun 2014
Kay, sure, then! I'll participate!! :D
*does the megane thing*
(⌐⊙ω⊙)و ̑
May 17, 2016 10:41 AM

May 2013
I'm in~! ^~^ tho my stories are pretty much shit, i want to improve
May 20, 2016 3:27 PM
Jun 2014
OK!!! HERE ARE THE PAIRINGS FOR THE FIRST EDITION!!!

@Martinique -- @Miyuki_chan11

@_Flit_Emily_ -- @Ervic_Euphemia12

@Eminya -- @ShojoukaChan

@Kohakuuusch -- @DarXX26

If anyone else decides to join in the next hour, he/she will be paired with me.

You have one week from now to finish the script, you can send the script to me if you want feedback before starting the storyboard. I'll try to reply on the same day.

Once you finish your script, send it to the user you are paired with, either through private message or whatever method you decide.
You will also receive one. So now you have to create a storyboard for the script you just received.

Have fun and good luck!!
May 21, 2016 1:11 AM

Dec 2015
Hai sensei!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2016 5:10 AM
Oct 2015
Alrite, Charrengo Acceptement! :D
May 24, 2016 10:40 AM
Jun 2014
I have just been told by Darxx26 that due to sudden reasons he will not be able to participate. Therefore, @Kohakuuusch , You'll have the heavenly privilege to be paired with me-sama (I'm very humble, I know).

So send your script to me instead of darxx26.
May 24, 2016 1:57 PM
Oct 2015
Okey, I humbly embrace partnering with your humble graciousness. It's truly an earth-shattering privilege.
ItrunMay 26, 2016 2:31 PM
May 27, 2016 2:40 AM
Jun 2014
I hope everyone has is script finished today, I'm sending mine right now.

From now on, we will all have a total of three weeks to finish the storyboard.
After you are done, please let everyone know so if everybody finishes before the 3 weeks have passed, we can conclude the activity sooner.

Now here are a few tips:

- Don't over do it with your art, it's just a storyboard, we only want to practice how to place panels and what to show in the panels. Art and details are not important right now. This shouldn't take you too make.

- Important things go in big panels. Changes in emotions are important(for example). If someone is punched in the face really hard and is important in the story, then draw it big.

- Remember you normally need one or two establishing panels at the start of the manga. These are panels where you show the background just so the readers can more or less identify what type of setting are they reading.

- Do not over use close ups. I don't mean don't use them at all, but you need to show the background from time to time and be varied in your perspective and panel shape. If you don't do this, even the most interesting story can turn into the most boring thing in the world.

- If you are unsure how to represent something, it's totally fine if you ave a look at existing manga, you can even copy the whole layout, after all we are just learning at the moment.
May 30, 2016 5:22 AM

Dec 2015
Okay yamamotosensei
I will do my best for my partner!
Ervic is online!
Jun 6, 2016 2:37 PM

Mar 2016
when will the next edition of this be? I think I kind of missed this edition. I was away. (If we're even doing this again) And can we do digital art or is it traditional only?
Jun 7, 2016 12:13 AM
Jun 2014
xXMaya-chanXx said:
when will the next edition of this be? I think I kind of missed this edition. I was away. (If we're even doing this again) And can we do digital art or is it traditional only?

After we are done with this edition, I think I'll leave about a week before we start the next one.
And you can do it however you want, on paper, on computer or carved in a rock. But in this case even if you can do it digitally, I would still recommend paper for several reasons:
Reason 1- The drawings don't need tp be detailed so if you suck at traditional, it's ok, doesn't matter.
Reason 2- A storyboard is a guide to help you make the finished piece, so you might want to have it at sight when doing the actual pages and having to change windows might end up being uncomfortable and not as productive. It's better to have it in front of you all the time.
Reason 3- I couldn't actually think of another reason, so just because I want you to use paper. But anyway, again, you can use whatever you want.
Jun 9, 2016 1:46 PM

Mar 2016
YamamotoSensei said:
xXMaya-chanXx said:

After we are done with this edition, I think I'll leave about a week before we start the next one.
And you can do it however you want, on paper, on computer or carved in a rock. But in this case even if you can do it digitally, I would still recommend paper for several reasons:
Reason 1- The drawings don't need tp be detailed so if you suck at traditional, it's ok, doesn't matter.
Reason 2- A storyboard is a guide to help you make the finished piece, so you might want to have it at sight when doing the actual pages and having to change windows might end up being uncomfortable and not as productive. It's better to have it in front of you all the time.
Reason 3- I couldn't actually think of another reason, so just because I want you to use paper. But anyway, again, you can use whatever you want.

Okay, I just wanted to know because it takes a while for me to scan my drawings so I could post them.
Jun 17, 2016 3:46 PM
Jun 2014
Today is the deadline and well, I haven't received any notice from anyone telling me if you have finished so I'll go ahead and post my story board based in @Kohakuuusch 's script. Here I go:

Jun 17, 2016 11:40 PM

May 2013
Here's ShojoukaChan 's story board based on my strange script. Shojouka wasn't able to upload it, so I did it instead ;3 ... Sadly..or ironically?.. i'm gonna either upload mine later or tommorow, my internet is crashing because of the weather (or at least so i think)=~=).... even linking these pics took time n many refreshes, i don't think i can upload anything

Jun 21, 2016 9:04 PM

Dec 2015
Guys I have little problem about posting my work
It will take more days before I post more pics!
My scanner just jam so this is only I scanned

Euphemia is online!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Introduce yourself.

YamamotoSensei - Jan 1, 2016

25 by IkariTheDemon »»
Aug 3, 2016 5:25 AM

Poll: » Would you guys like an Art Trade?

lightcha - May 31, 2016

16 by Moriya_san »»
Jun 28, 2016 2:55 AM

» Help me draw!

lightcha - Feb 1, 2016

13 by Moriya_san »»
Jun 23, 2016 4:26 AM

» [Game]What do you think?

lightcha - Apr 20, 2016

13 by lightcha »»
May 29, 2016 3:44 PM

» Plot disscusion

lightcha - Feb 14, 2016

2 by lightcha »»
Mar 2, 2016 4:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.