Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 10, 2013 2:06 PM
Nov 2012
Because, let's be honest, no man with some self-respect would create a setup like Hikari --> Manaka --> Surface guy and dedicate some ridiculous time to it (24 episodes). Is this why Japan is the holy land of NTR?

For starters, let's assume the writers are all males.
Writing a story where the main character is in love with a childhood friend (that means, FOR YEARS), and said girl falls in love with a very, very plain guy from one moment to another. Like, come on, do you even love yourself?
Yes, I know most of us, including anime/manga writers have unfinished love businesses of every kind, childhood crushes and broken hearts. But to jump straight into the enemy field and actually ENDORSE the person that took the one you liked/loved away? Haha, seriously. Even taking the time and resources to make Hikari the least likable possible in order to keep the ball spinning.

In the end, I feel like it's them reminding themselves how bad of a fit they were for the girl of their dreams and how ''cool'' the guys those girls feel in love with were.
I may be proved wrong after finishing the series, but there is a 50% chance of this being a Manaka-Surface guy ending. Hell, I can't even remember his name, since he's so plain and boring.

This completely reminds me of Sakurasou, where the childhood girl friend loses. Wasn't the writer a female? Strange place Japan is, indeed.

/rant
And no, this anime is not NTR. It's straightforward low-self steem.
GateLambdaOct 10, 2013 2:12 PM
Oct 10, 2013 2:57 PM

Dec 2010
Ignoring how sexist (despite your disclaimer) and presuming your rant was, I disagree with what you're saying about Tsumugu/Kihara. He doesn't say much and is serious, but I can already tell that he's very interested in the sea, and might conversely to Manaka, want to become a sea person. His brief scene making fishnets with his father (?) was also telling of a lonely and hard childhood, making me want to know more about his backstory.
Oct 10, 2013 3:03 PM

Dec 2011
This setup about instant love and friends stabbing each other in the back is a unique characteristic of shoujo manga, so yes, it might as well be shoujo anime but with moe art style.

But it's using Hikari's POV much more than the others and signifying his torn heart, producing similar feeling of mindbreak like NTR H anime albeit in smaller dose. In shoujo story NTR doesn't exist but otherwise it does~

btw, who is this childhood friend in Sakurasou?
Oct 10, 2013 3:29 PM

Mar 2013
wuhugm said:

I think he's thinking of the girl he met in high school prior to going to Sakurasou, but she's definitely not a childhood friend (unless there's someone else in the novels I don't know about).

Also, I could see how a guy would write a story like this. When I think of stories myself, they are basically all dramas, and, honestly, straight, easy romances are not very easy to when you want a lot of drama. Because just problems between two characters and not involving other people seems like it would lead them breaking up if they just don't get along. I haven't ever imagined a story like that (aside from it going the other way with girl -> guy -> girl) but I could easily see myself making something like that, though I would probably still make it end with the main guy getting the girl.
Oct 10, 2013 3:32 PM
Nov 2012
wuhugm said:
This setup about instant love and friends stabbing each other in the back is a unique characteristic of shoujo manga, so yes, it might as well be shoujo anime but with moe art style.

But it's using Hikari's POV much more than the others and signifying his torn heart, producing similar feeling of mindbreak like NTR H anime albeit in smaller dose. In shoujo story NTR doesn't exist but otherwise it does~

My bad, she is not a childhood friend, but rather a Middle-school, High-school friend. In the end, it's the same setup, since they've known each other for a couple of years already.
Oct 10, 2013 3:34 PM

Aug 2013
Blame feminists.
Oct 10, 2013 5:15 PM

Dec 2011
In several shoujo manga, which this anime and sakurasou share similarities, love is a flimsy thing.

It's often we see characters falling in love in very short time, even in a single chapter after their meeting. Love at first sight kinda thingy, completely overwriting any affection and relation with other guy/girl. To me it's simply plot device.

I don't particularly like this fateful meeting setup either.

but most of the time, the main protagonist will have a happy ending (Hikari) so don't worry........ UNLESS IT'S AN NTR ANIME!!! BWAHAHHAHA!!! Which I hope will be~
Oct 11, 2013 2:12 AM

Apr 2013
It's worth noting that Nagi no Asukara and Sakurasou are both written by Mari Okada (scripts and story for nagi and series composition for Sakurasou.) She's very, very, into group unrequited love stories. This show feels extremely similar to Anohana, which she also wrote. In fact, aside from the lack of ghosts, this show feels almost exactly the same. She's a good writer, but I feel that she's too been too reliant on her bag of tricks lately, although she can do a lot better. For instance, she wrote Aquarion Evol, which does have its own silly love quadrangle, but also has a lot of other stuff going on. I still like this show, but it just feels overly familiar most of the time.
Oct 16, 2013 10:45 PM
May 2008
Normally I would agree with you, as in most cases, I identify myself with the main character. I feel his pain as my pain. But with this anime for whatever reason I dont. Maybe its because while Hikari seems like the main character the story seems to be more about Manaka than him. Maybe its my surface dwelling bias, but I identify more with the surface dude.
Oct 17, 2013 2:41 AM

Nov 2012
GateLambda said:
wuhugm said:

My bad, she is not a childhood friend, but rather a Middle-school, High-school friend. In the end, it's the same setup, since they've known each other for a couple of years already.

Actually, they don't even know each other that much. He met Nanami in High School, and since Sakurasou begins at the beginning of their second year, they only really know each other for exactly one year. Supported by the fact that Nanami didn't use to go out at all because of her financial troubles/VA school, it's not like they used to hang out together in their free time, effectively giving them little time to really get to know each other and form any kind of meaningful bond other than being classmates that talk during school hours.
Oct 29, 2013 11:26 AM

Jun 2012
Why would you post such an ignorant, sexist rant?
Shoot first, think never.
Nov 19, 2013 4:03 PM
Sep 2013
No, it simply wasn't written by writers whose aim is to please and fulfill the wishes of its male viewers. Wait, maybe it still is.

And how is it strange that there's unrequited love? That is MUCH more realistic than your usual romance anime. If you think that's "strange" than the strange one here is you.

Wait, there is unrequited love in most romance anime, it's just that the MC is usually not on the losing end and that seems to be what really matters. How self-centered and hypocritical you NTR ragers are gets me raging too.
Nov 19, 2013 4:48 PM

Oct 2013
I like how the "not sexist, but" qualifier on a statement almost always means that it's sexist
Nov 20, 2013 7:38 AM
Sep 2013
this really has to have a hikari x manaka ending, even if you dont prefer that pairing it's the right way to take the story. you can't forget that kaname is a character, who most likely is in love with chisaki. now, we don't quite know about their character development pre-show, but if manaka goes for surface dweller, then all of that "character development" for kaname goes to waste(because then of course chisaki is taken by hikari). then who will kaname be with, the slug? poor guy.

i don't think it's entirely fair to say it's going to end up like sakurasou either, mashiro was probably the right way to take that story as well (childhood friend shouldn't just win by default obviously). however, that story could have been handled in a much better way, and someone said the writers for these two shows are the same? faith lost.
Nov 24, 2013 7:18 AM
Oct 2012
amazingsil said:
this really has to have a hikari x manaka ending, even if you dont prefer that pairing it's the right way to take the story. you can't forget that kaname is a character, who most likely is in love with chisaki. now, we don't quite know about their character development pre-show, but if manaka goes for surface dweller, then all of that "character development" for kaname goes to waste(because then of course chisaki is taken by hikari). then who will kaname be with, the slug? poor guy.

i don't think it's entirely fair to say it's going to end up like sakurasou either, mashiro was probably the right way to take that story as well (childhood friend shouldn't just win by default obviously). however, that story could have been handled in a much better way, and someone said the writers for these two shows are the same? faith lost.

oh my god your stupidity just amazes me

all the character development for Kaname and his love for Chisaki? Kaname ships Chisaki x Hikari, LOL. Don't you remember the first episode? He hasn't shown any feelings at all. Because hes the NEUTRAL CHARACTER.

Look, there are 3 guys and 2 girls. Unless there is a 3-person relationship, someone is alone. And its most likely to be the person who almost never talks but simply observes everyone.
Nov 24, 2013 10:40 PM

Oct 2009
violets said:
I like how the "not sexist, but" qualifier on a statement almost always means that it's sexist

Aerea said:
Blame feminists.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Nov 24, 2013 10:44 PM

Apr 2007
The head writer of this series (Mari Okada) is a woman, for the record.
Nov 24, 2013 10:51 PM

Oct 2009
ona said:
The head writer of this series (Mari Okada) is a woman, for the record.

No, she's the anime series composition, not necessarily the writer.
If anything its under the label of Project-118 before the anime released, first published in Shounen Magazine Dengeki Daioh.

Edit: To make it clear, this is how anime story is produced
It is not as simple as, write a story --> get animated
It is a complicated process of improvisation and feedback from Director, Scriptwriter, Episode director, and the whole production staff. This is especially true because Nagi no Asukara is not based on an already written manga (with premade stories). That's why I think it's silly to say the whole story was depends on just one person, and for sexist reasons too.

azzuReNov 24, 2013 11:19 PM
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Nov 29, 2013 3:41 PM

Jun 2011
I don't see how they're "taking the time and resources to make Hikari the least likable possible". In my opinion, they've taken him in a great direction - when I first started watching, I didn't like his standoffish attitude, but they really reshaped him and had him mature.

In my opinion, the show is more about children coming of age, developing as individuals, and eventually forging their own paths. The romantic developments are simply tools used to further that progression; trials and tribulations, so to speak. As far as I can see, they're simply hinting at the possibility of a ManakaxTsumugu pairing just to keep the development rolling - so long as the characters develop by the end of the show, it doesn't really matter who ends up with who. The fact that Hikari is willing to give up on Manaka is simply a byproduct of his continued maturation.

Finally, I fail to see how any of the points you brought up are sexist in any way.
'I met many people. We were separated. And then reunited. This tune contains all those feelings.'
- Nanaka Yatsushiro, Myself;Yourself, Episode 13
Dec 10, 2013 5:46 PM

Oct 2010
Genomax said:
I don't see how they're "taking the time and resources to make Hikari the least likable possible". In my opinion, they've taken him in a great direction - when I first started watching, I didn't like his standoffish attitude, but they really reshaped him and had him mature.

In my opinion, the show is more about children coming of age, developing as individuals, and eventually forging their own paths. The romantic developments are simply tools used to further that progression; trials and tribulations, so to speak. As far as I can see, they're simply hinting at the possibility of a ManakaxTsumugu pairing just to keep the development rolling - so long as the characters develop by the end of the show, it doesn't really matter who ends up with who. The fact that Hikari is willing to give up on Manaka is simply a byproduct of his continued maturation.

Finally, I fail to see how any of the points you brought up are sexist in any way.

I second this. What even distinguishes one person plainer than the other anyways? Everyone is pretty plain one way or another and liking someone for their plainness is not detrimental to the character at all.

In fact, I’d assume the writing would be geared more towards females than for males because we follow Hikari’s stumbles in his love life. We see his devotion, and his development to move on from clinging onto Manaka to supporting her with whatever choice, learning how to interact with everyone on a more mature basis. It's a freaking female fulfillment material there (not saying it fully is).

I don’t really get the part where you say, “jump straight into the enemy field and actually ENDORSE the person that took the one you liked/loved away?” Do you mean that Hikari set aside his romantic desires and decided to let Tsugumu have Manaka? It’s more like Hikari deciding to support Manaka in whatever she decides. Plus, if he impulsively acts on his feelings, not only does that change the relationship he has with Manaka but it changes his relationship with everyone else as well. This show isn’t solely based on romance which shoujos are, making the romantic pursuit far bit easier when taking the pesky ex-girlfriends/boyfriends, jealous outsiders, etc, away. This show concentrates on people’s interactions, people’s choices, and how those choices affect their interactions.

I kind of see your point of view of Tsugumu fulfilling a girl’s preference in guys but eh. It’s really a matter of tastes. I don’t think I can ever be head over heels over a guy who is as honest, and virtuous as Tsugumu. Heck, I’d argue that the stereotyped playboy or the cheerful one, like Kaname, are the ones who get the girls in real life but eh.

I personally thought Tsugumu was boring as well but I think his traits are the quiet type, the kind that doesn’t really stand out. It makes Manaka’s infatuation with him so compelling since she’s able to see those traits. Doesn’t make them any more interesting as a couple though, IMO. As standalones, they’re awesome characters (Manaka to a lesser extent). Together, it’s just troubling, like the Hikari and Manaka relationship.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2013

186 by basskiller »»
May 18, 11:53 PM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

168 by basskiller »»
May 17, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2014

652 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 3, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2013

385 by Wishimog »»
Feb 18, 10:10 PM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

353 by trabeus1 »»
Jan 18, 5:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.