Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 8, 2009 2:25 PM

Nov 2008
After having watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, RahXephon, and a few classic Gundam series, I decided to watch Macross Plus. I skipped Macross (made in 1980's) due its old animation and poor sound quality (when compared to today's standards) since I'm not that hardcore of an anime fan. I read Macross' plot summary on Wikipedia then watched this OVA. It is probably one of the best mecha/romance series and should be ranked up with the greats such as Gundam: 08th MS Team. The great 90's animation and good soundtrack were perfect complements to the great storytelling.

It is a must watch for any mecha fan.
Mar 16, 2009 1:57 AM
Oct 2008
Agreed. I saw the original Macross when I was 7 years old. It took more than 10 years until I saw another Macross title, and by then I had thought Robotech WAS the canon.

It takes a lot for an anime to wrench me from my love of Robotech (which I had devoured voraciously since SDF Macross was such a distant memory), and it just shows how badass Macross + is to have done so in only 4 episodes.

http://ghostlightning.wordpress.com/2009/03/06/top-guns/

I've written about the show at length in the above link.
Jun 20, 2009 6:11 PM

Dec 2007
I don't care what anyone says, this OVA is Yoko Kanno's masterpiece. She's done some great work since, but nothing else even compares to "Voices" in her entire career.

But yes, it is the best OVA I have ever seen. Fluid animation, 3-dimensional characters, and a plot that kept my interest from beginning to end.

Highly recommended, especially since one doesn't have to be too familiar with the Macross universe to enjoy this. I had not seen anything related to Macross before this, and I still love this OVA to death.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2019 8:13 PM
Feb 2018
Watched it again for the first time in 20 years, probably the first anime i ever saw, this is beyond 10/10. Breathtaking in every aspect. My god.
Jul 18, 2022 6:43 PM

Feb 2022
Before joining this site, I had only come across one other person who, had seen Robotech when it aired on TV in 1978 like I did. It came on about 10min after school ended, so I'd rush home every day to make sure I didn't miss a second of it (programming VCR's wasnt't very reliable yet). The whole Robotech/Macross epic had a huge influence on my becoming an Anime fan. I don't care about thy whole controversy and such with Harmony Gold, etc. I've watched it all and have enjoyed the heck out of most if it (Macross 7 not so much). I hope the media I've seen about a new series coming out produces more great mecha anime.

Macross Plus was the first series I ever bought. I stumbled across it in a comic book store around 1995. I still have it and have watched it countless times since. They released it on VCD, not DVD, and finding a way to play those old VCDs can be a challenge!
CinescentJul 18, 2022 6:47 PM
Nov 3, 2022 4:53 AM
Nov 2021
HOLY SHIT THE PRODUCTION STAFF
-SHINICHIRO WATANABE
-YOKO KANNO
-HIDEAKI ANNO
AND THE BIGGEST OF ALL
BRYAN CRANSTON VOICING ISAMU (DUB)
PURE CLASSIC SHIT
Jan 26, 2023 9:34 AM

Feb 2016
I can't believe this trash has as many views as Do You Remember Love.
その目だれの目?
Feb 15, 12:22 AM

Apr 2023
It wasn't bad all things considered, but it's not Macross. I think I would have liked it as a standalone 90s SciFi, but it doesn't have the soul of Macross and has no business calling itself Macross. It's like the directors had a good story idea and good visuals, and cashed in on the Macross franchise for extra views which sours the entire OVA for me.
There are no heroes left in man.
May 4, 12:04 AM

Dec 2013
Reply to Gatalis
It wasn't bad all things considered, but it's not Macross. I think I would have liked it as a standalone 90s SciFi, but it doesn't have the soul of Macross and has no business calling itself Macross. It's like the directors had a good story idea and good visuals, and cashed in on the Macross franchise for extra views which sours the entire OVA for me.
@Gatalis I honestly think even the owners of current macross think this was too since even recently with the new posters for the live show they've got og, 7, frontier and delta and no plus so even they dont really consider it macross even if they wont say it. Honestly surprised I don't see more people say this I looked it up and couldn't find anything
I shall destroy and hate mankind

More topics from this board

» Forgiving Guld *major spoiler alert*

arimakenshin - Jan 8, 2009

6 by Gatalis »»
Feb 15, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Macross Plus Episode 1 Discussion

HooHiraiBunny - Nov 19, 2009

25 by usern0tsc00ter »»
Nov 7, 2023 2:20 AM

Poll: » Macross Plus Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

otoko_tenshi - Jan 18, 2009

52 by Lucifrost »»
Mar 26, 2023 9:49 PM

Poll: » Macross Plus Episode 3 Discussion

HooHiraiBunny - Jun 2, 2010

16 by AdrianShephardt »»
Mar 7, 2023 9:05 AM

Poll: » Macross Plus Episode 2 Discussion

Veethorn - May 14, 2010

22 by BlaizeV »»
Aug 10, 2021 10:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.