Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 6, 2013 11:26 AM

May 2012
Since I became hooked on anime, I've started drawing the anime characters that I like, I just can't help it. Still, since I have never been to art classes or anything (I never used to draw before watching anime), I'd really like to know whether they're okay or not. They've been sketched and colored on a notebook. For starters I'll upload one and see what you think about it.
Please comment!

Ein and Zwei, from Phantom: requiem for the phantom.

EDIT: this is my deviantart profile, which I've only recently created: http://sarinda.deviantart.com/
SarindaMar 9, 2013 4:09 AM
Mar 6, 2013 1:06 PM

Oct 2010
Mar 7, 2013 11:57 AM

May 2012
Thanks for the comments! Well, here I upload my second drawing: Edward Elric, from Full Metal Alchemist.

P.S: by the way, can anyone tell me why I can't see my avatar? I mean, I already have one for myanimelist, but do I need to upload another one for the forum?

Mar 7, 2013 12:24 PM

Oct 2012
Sarinda said:
Thanks for the comments! Well, here I upload my second drawing: Edward Elric, from Full Metal Alchemist.

P.S: by the way, can anyone tell me why I can't see my avatar? I mean, I already have one for myanimelist, but do I need to upload another one for the forum?

Yea, you need another one for the forums. Kept me busy for a good hour figuring that out myself when I joined the site.
Mar 7, 2013 1:06 PM

May 2012
Hahaha it's really funny! Once again, I really like the eyes, they are extremely detailed... As for the other girl, the eye patch looks quite original on her. You know, I think that even if you make a mistake you need to your best to pretend that you intended for the drawing to look like this from the beginning. Because, believe me, many times, when I start drawing, I plan on drawing it in a certain way, but I always end up messing up somewhere, so I just have to pretend nothing happened by trying to make something up. So, what I mean is that you did a good job with that.
Hope to see more drawings of yours!
Mar 7, 2013 1:14 PM
Jul 2012
The first drawing was nice. The color of Zewi's hair ehh it didn't match like the oringinal color. But still looks great.

Second pic looks good but the legs look turned.

Keep drawing looks decent.
Mar 7, 2013 1:31 PM

May 2012
Yeah, I know about the legs, I just didn't know how to them otherwise, I'm used to doing things symmetrically, anyway, I'll work on it... As for Zwei's hair, it's really hard to find suitable colors, since in the anime the hair obviously looks different, but I don't have many color pencils so I just had to find a similar one.
Thanks for the comments!
Mar 8, 2013 7:33 AM

May 2012
This is the photo I was trying to copy, see, so I had to make up the legs...

I'm thinking about taking drawing lessons this summer, since I finish classes earlier. I really want to learn how to draw real people :) but it seems soo tricky... I prefer anime characters much better.
Hum... I actually did this drawing last week (I finished the first drawing this week), and it took me about two/three days (I usually draw with a normal pencil on the first day, and do the rest on the second and the third). Since I have classes and quite a lot of homework, I can't draw for a very long time every day... And once I start, I really can't bring myself to stop!
I In the beginning I wasn't going to color them, but I actually found the color pencils I used when I was a kid...
Anyway, right now I'm trying to look for other drawings I did last year, I hope I can find them...
Mar 8, 2013 1:03 PM

May 2012
Actually, I just made a deviantart profile yesterday. Some of my friends have it and they were encouraging me to make a profile, so in the end I did it: http://sarinda.deviantart.com/ I've uploaded another drawing there, one of my first ones, which I've only found this afternoon. I don't particularly like this one, since it didn't came out like I wanted to, but well.

Mar 8, 2013 4:00 PM

Feb 2013
Hey those are pretty good! Nice!
Mar 8, 2013 5:18 PM

Oct 2012
Sarinda said:
Actually, I just made a deviantart profile yesterday. Some of my friends have it and they were encouraging me to make a profile, so in the end I did it: http://sarinda.deviantart.com/ I've uploaded another drawing there, one of my first ones, which I've only found this afternoon. I don't particularly like this one, since it didn't came out like I wanted to, but well.
If that's what you can do without much practice, then I don't see how you can't like it! :P
Mar 8, 2013 9:02 PM

Jan 2013
Keep up the good work :)
Mar 9, 2013 1:30 AM
Jul 2012
cyquil said:
Hey those are pretty good! Nice!

Wow idk but ur profile pic of Vampire+rosario Moka makes me want to rewatch it.
Mar 9, 2013 4:20 AM

May 2012
mallobaude said:
Sarinda said:
If that's what you can do without much practice, then I don't see how you can't like it! :P

It's not that I don't like it, really, rather than that, I'd say there're other drawings which I prefer. I suppose I'm not convinced with Sebastian's clothing's coloring, mainly (it's always difficult to color black clothes, I think, but there're other drawings where it looks better).
Well, it's true I never drew before, but I wouldn't say that I'm talented, just that I have a good eye when copying the original pictures...I'm not really good at making them up, I'm afraid.
Dunois: I'm not really sure why I usually draw couples... I suppose I think it makes the drawing more...complete when I include more than one character. Moreover, it depends on the anime... In Kuroshitsuji, for instance, those are the main characters so I thought I'd look nice to put them together. The same happens with the first drawing... And yes, all in color pencils, like this is easier to erase something if you're not convinced about it, not to mention that it's easier to combine colors and shadows!

Thanks everyone! I already found the notebook where I started drawing anime last year so I might upload another one soon. In addition, today I finished another one, so I'll see which one I upload next.

P.S: by the way, should I also upload the original picture of this one...?
Mar 10, 2013 7:58 AM

Jan 2013
Sarinda said:
Since I became hooked on anime, I've started drawing the anime characters that I like, I just can't help it. Still, since I have never been to art classes or anything (I never used to draw before watching anime), I'd really like to know whether they're okay or not. They've been sketched and colored on a notebook. For starters I'll upload one and see what you think about it.
Please comment!

Ein and Zwei, from Phantom: requiem for the phantom.

EDIT: this is my deviantart profile, which I've only recently created: http://sarinda.deviantart.com/

This one is amesing, others are good to but this one is by far the best.
I draw to but i don't cnow how to draw manga style and when i am drawing i always draw from my head.Tru i have some advantages becouse my mother is profesional artist and she give me some lesons when i was younger.I don't hawe scanner so i can't post my drawings now but i will borow camera from my friend in a few days and i will take a picture of my drawings and post them.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Mar 10, 2013 8:12 AM

May 2012
Thaanks wukp!! I also think this drawing is the best of all the drawings I've got, but I hope you won't be too disappointed when I upload my other ones. Wow, your mother is a professional artist? Awesome! I don't really have anyone to teach me so I can only learn using online tutorials or by myself... Sure, upload your drawings!

I'm going to upload another one I did last summer, this one is from my favorite anime Code Geass (I've got several of them). First of all, the colors aren't completely right, Lelouch's (or rather, Zero's) cape is supposed to be black, but I'd run out of black pens so in the end I chose the purple one. Also, I think that in this drawing he looks way too friendly...but well, that might just be my impression.

All comments are appreciated!
Mar 10, 2013 12:36 PM

May 2012
No, it's not that, in the original photo you can't see the legs either so I just left it that way (also, I couldn't fit the legs even if I made them up).
Thaaanks!
Mar 13, 2013 8:56 AM

May 2012
Here's another one :) I'm going to upload all the drawings I've done up until now, since I've found the sketchbook I started using last summer. This time the main characters of Death Note, L and Light. What to say... I couldn't fit Light alright so I had to cut off his left shoulder. I don't like the fingers, overall, but well, I'll have to keep practicing, I guess.

All comments are appreciated!!
Mar 24, 2013 3:17 AM

May 2012
Manny6805 said:
These are pretty good! I think you need just practice xD For example I like drawing too, yet I don't draw well, but at my first attemps I was like "WTF IS DAT" lol So don't give up!

Gracias!! I'll keep on trying :) :)
Since I finished exams last week, I felt like drawing, so I chose to draw the main character of the anime I liked the most when I was a kid...Sakura Cardcaptor! The hair was a little tough to color, because it seemed as if it were brown, but it's not...

Please comment!! :)

Mar 24, 2013 12:59 PM

Nov 2011
If I may be blunt.

You need to branch out and not just directly copy official artwork/ other peoples' fanart. I can tell by the way they are drawn that you really don't have a lot of your basic skills down yet.

For example, the bodies are a lot wider in some cases, or the legs are too short, the lines are shaky, etc. The best examples of this are the Edward Elric one and the Light and L one. I can at least tell you didn't trace which is good, but you aren't really 'learning' by just copying anime art. You need to start with the basics if you want to actually learn to draw.

There are a LOT of books you can buy for this, or you can just use google. If you don't intend to be an actual artist and only want to draw anime for fun, then go here for some tips and basics:

http://learnmanga.deviantart.com/gallery/37100390

Look in the subfolders on the left side here:
http://learnmanga.deviantart.com/gallery/37100388

If you intend to be an actual artist then feel free to contact me and I can give you some more in-depth tutorials as well as tell you what classes you should take first.

Sorry if I sound harsh, I don't mean to. Just speaking from experience. =)
Mar 25, 2013 11:30 AM

May 2012
Amberleh said:
If I may be blunt.

You need to branch out and not just directly copy official artwork/ other peoples' fanart. I can tell by the way they are drawn that you really don't have a lot of your basic skills down yet.

For example, the bodies are a lot wider in some cases, or the legs are too short, the lines are shaky, etc. The best examples of this are the Edward Elric one and the Light and L one. I can at least tell you didn't trace which is good, but you aren't really 'learning' by just copying anime art. You need to start with the basics if you want to actually learn to draw.

There are a LOT of books you can buy for this, or you can just use google. If you don't intend to be an actual artist and only want to draw anime for fun, then go here for some tips and basics:

http://learnmanga.deviantart.com/gallery/37100390

Look in the subfolders on the left side here:
http://learnmanga.deviantart.com/gallery/37100388

If you intend to be an actual artist then feel free to contact me and I can give you some more in-depth tutorials as well as tell you what classes you should take first.

Sorry if I sound harsh, I don't mean to. Just speaking from experience. =)

I see. You are indeed right, I've never really tried drawing without copying another picture, mainly because I don't think I'm good at it and just wanted to draw the anime characters that I like. To be honest that was my only purpose, I havent't really thought about having my own style or anything... But I'd like to learn, of course, and I'll definitely check out those sites and try to have a basic knowledge on how to draw. Basically, I capture picture and trace the lines according to what I see but it's really hard for me to do without having anything as as a reference...

So I'll start working on it, but I still really enjoy copying pictures (though I know it's lazy haha). Thanks a lot for the advice anyway and I don't think it was that harsh. I'm only a beginner so adice is what I need :)

More topics from this board

» help with video editing

maxima423 - Mar 2, 2012

7 by Synergyedits »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime hoodies - Would you wear it ?

abambata - Apr 17

6 by ProGoddess »»
2 hours ago

» DBS Dream Fairy Match Girl "Nana" ("Yuna")

MasterTasuke - May 20

1 by MasterTasuke »»
Yesterday, 5:03 PM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

375 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 11:08 AM

» Anime Recommendations - MAL

hacker09 - May 16, 2022

23 by CLModerno »»
May 21, 4:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.