New
Jan 6, 2013 12:17 PM

Jun 2012
Resolution 181

650,000 Jews went to Israel after settling in DPs

Population statistics

brief history

Historical background is needed on this problem--

650,000 jews went to Palestine (by 1950), and this was after 5 million people were repatriated straight after WW2. Resolution 181 was drafted by the UN and then passed through a vote. This resolution is hotly debated (all of the arab countries voted against it, and many voters reported threats of death or harm if they did vote for the resolution)

population wise Jewish were approximately 30-40% of the population in 1948 and gained over 56% of the land of palestine. The Palestinians, ~65% of the population gained about 43% of the land Forgive me for Wiki
800,000 Palestinians lived in camps because they lost their land, as refugees after this exodus.

Thats the partition, and then of course, the wars come straight after (1948, six-day, yom kippur, etc). which expanded israeli land into the west bank, sinai, the north.

After that theres a lot of modern history and conflicts still going on today--
ie, the freedom flotilla incident
Freedom Flotilla

Gaza blockade

Israel vs. palestine, two questions-what can be done in the future? palestine is already recognized and where do you stand in the issue?
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 6, 2013 2:25 PM
Mar 2012
Right now, both sides are still waging war simply because of the hate that they gathered at the beginning of the war. Even if some kind of peace agreement comes to a stand, the hatred the citizens have for each other is immense, making a solution for the two very hard, given the fact that they most likely won't be moving any time soon. If the war will rage on, Palestine will suffer great losses, since the equipment of the Israelis is superior, i.e. the anti rocket shield, the guns, which are supplied by the US.

What could become quite bad is if other countries will enter the fight, most countries support the Palestinians and this would mean a mass slaughter, not that it does justify what the Israelis are doing now. What is stopping them now, is most likely pressure by the US.

A solution is something which seems very far away from this seemingly endless conflict. Perhaps if the EU or eastern Asia would show more interest instead of the biased US, there could be some kind of talks where the fighting at least stops between the armies. Because they won't think of anything decent on their own.

What is sad though, is that the hatred between the two is eternal.
Jan 8, 2013 2:48 PM
Sep 2012
From what little I can remember from my History lessons back in school, the extremists of both sides were unfortunatly successful in assasinating and ticking off those who were more leniant with the other side, which ended up like selective breeding and caused both sides to have a large majority of extremists.
This led to the downfal of peace between both sides, along with the poor management from Great Britain in the whole matter, and inevetibly caused what is happening today.

It's a very complicated situation, and like Duckonator said (Awesome name btw XD), the Arab States need to recognise Israel, accept them in the middle east (They aren't going anywhere), and solve it through Diplomacy. War never solves anything, and only causes more pain and anger in the long run (It basically gives birth to extremists).

I can't say much else tbh, it's such a complicated situation, and I can hardly see it ending anytime soon.
In all honesty, Israel should not retaliate at all, even if they do get misiles fired on them; they need to make Palastine look bad and maybe they will shy away and stop, and Israel could gain some well needed respect from the neighbouring countries. Firing back at Palastine merely justifies Palastines actions in many peoples views, most importantly the Arab Legue.
Israel needs to gain trust from the countries around it, that in my opinion is the only way it will end.
Jan 12, 2013 5:22 AM

Dec 2011
As previously stated by the posts on this thread, it is blatantly obvious that both sides have a large majority of extremists, and the fighting stems from the socio-religious hatred of both sides towards each other. Also, I believe the picture Regicide posted showing the eventual spread of Jewish owned land speaks for itself. However both the sides are at fault here.

The only thing I would like to add is that over the years mass media has had a strong Israeli bias towards the issue, but I feel that a more clear and detailed picture is beginning to form. Social media is playing a big part in this issue, and Palestine is getting its views out there and its voice is starting to be heard. An example of this would be Palestine's recent approval of Statehood.

At the same time, the people of Israel are also gaining support and are raising their voice through the same medium. The previously existing bias is slowly being eliminated.
howlingfantodsJan 12, 2013 5:31 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» General Literature Discussion

Josh - Jan 11, 2013

6 by TheOttocrat »»
Mar 15, 2013 2:10 PM

» Haiku - share us your creativity

Karpman - Feb 4, 2013

3 by Javi-Hime »»
Feb 11, 2013 2:06 PM

» Gaming - aside from entertainment, does it do anything?

Karpman - Jan 22, 2013

2 by Umbrya »»
Jan 29, 2013 12:41 AM

» The Morality of Eating Meat and other Animal Products

AnnoKano - Jan 5, 2013

25 by lpf »»
Jan 21, 2013 2:22 PM

» Capitalism, Climate Change, and the Revival of City-States

Josh - Jan 7, 2013

6 by Karpman »»
Jan 16, 2013 7:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.