Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 24, 9:47 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
No, this site was built around being PG13, not 18+. People can lie about their age on the web anyway.
Aug 25, 9:17 AM

Apr 2015
Reply to SteelingMax
@CatSoul i agree, you're now over 18 and still doesn't understand my point, i get disagreeing with me, but pretending that the exception disproves the rule is asinine, i already talked about this in an earlier post.
I'm not saying the exception disproves the rule. I'm saying the rule you came up with is inherently flawed and ineffective.

You have a problem with bad reviews (ones that just say "peak peak peak"), but there are plenty of people over the age of 18 who act like that. I haven't also really seen this problem in action. People write bad reviews, but the top reviews for everything I look up are normally at least decently coherent.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 25, 1:52 PM

Feb 2015
Reply to CatSoul
I'm not saying the exception disproves the rule. I'm saying the rule you came up with is inherently flawed and ineffective.

You have a problem with bad reviews (ones that just say "peak peak peak"), but there are plenty of people over the age of 18 who act like that. I haven't also really seen this problem in action. People write bad reviews, but the top reviews for everything I look up are normally at least decently coherent.
@CatSoul you're doing it again, "plenty of people over the age of 18 who act like that", they are not the norm, that's why we call it "acting like a teenager", i've met plenty of people that were really smart before turning 18, but guess what, they're smarter have way wisdom, knowledge
and self control, now that they're older.

I just really feel as a whole that having teenagers on social media is a really bad thing and if we could at least limit some of the interaction, as in not able to write reviews, it would be better for everyone, MAL also has really inflated scores for shonen and CGDCT "genres" plus every popular flavor of the season show with eye candy animation or waifus, not even mentioning tons of non-sensical reviews that feel like euphoric ramblings from people that don't really have enough vocabulary and knowledge about the topic, to be writing about it.

imo 14 should be the minimum age to create an account, at 16 you can now comment on forums, plus sending/receiving public messages, then at 18 you can write reviews and receive/send private messages.

I just started this topic bc of the Makeine review i saw, it's another awful anime with a pretty coat of paint and pretending to subvert expectations and seeing such a high score and raving reviews that rubbed me the wrong way, but now moderators moved the topic out of the anime page, so it loses most of the impact and some of the context.
Reviews and scores are something i don't really like from MAL, there are people that don't even follow the 10 point score system and pretend 6 is the lowest score they can give, it makes no sense, and you end up with people with score averages over 8.5, people that score shows before watching, people that create accounts to boost anime they like or drag down stuff they dislike, i'm just tired of being burned on watching anime with over 8.0/10 and finding absolutely nothing good about it, aside of maybe some technical aspects.

enough rambling

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Timezone and default to UTC

nahgito - Jul 5

4 by Charmeleon480 »»
Aug 30, 12:38 AM

» Being able to track and view our submitted contributions to the database.

YOUAreBalding565 - Apr 21, 2021

15 by St0rmblade »»
Aug 29, 2:24 PM

» "Source" filter in anime search

lapampam - Aug 27

0 by lapampam »»
Aug 27, 12:04 PM

» So when can we universally change display names to English?

Nyron - Jun 27, 2023

14 by dragula88 »»
Aug 27, 11:25 AM

» Some Minor QoL for Manga/Anime Entries

Roth - Aug 27

0 by Roth »»
Aug 27, 12:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.