Forum Settings
Forums

PLEASE bring back the functions to reply in forum games

New
May 17, 11:02 PM

Feb 2018
It's really really annoying. I don't know why it was removed but it was probably some stupid reason
May 19, 6:06 AM

Feb 2018
19/05/24
please bring back the reply function in forum games
May 20, 2:09 AM

Feb 2018
20/05/24
May 20, 2:13 AM

Sep 2021
20/05/24
May 20, 3:10 AM

Jan 2017
tsukareru said:
I don't know why it was removed but it was probably some stupid reason

That's obviously an error. There is no way they'll actually disable such feature... (or would they ?)
Anyway, if you know how HTML/Inspect mode works, you should be able to temporarily enable it again.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 20, 3:14 AM

Feb 2018
Reply to Alexioos95
tsukareru said:
I don't know why it was removed but it was probably some stupid reason

That's obviously an error. There is no way they'll actually disable such feature... (or would they ?)
Anyway, if you know how HTML/Inspect mode works, you should be able to temporarily enable it again.
@Alexioos95 well it works for me on all other forum categories but in forum games. I know they have removed it from forum games for "abusing it". Whatever that means
May 20, 3:34 AM

Jan 2017
tsukareru said:
I know they have removed it from forum games for "abusing it". Whatever that means

Ah, weird.

I tried enabling the button again via HTML, and while the button was clickable and got me the mention, the script that add the text seems to have lagged, and blocked me from editing/deleting the post. After a minute it did delete my post, but i don't know if simply waiting would have treated the request.

In doubt of a possible ban, i'll just let the mods do their things... MAL rarely rollback their changes tho.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 20, 3:37 AM

Feb 2018
Reply to Alexioos95
tsukareru said:
I know they have removed it from forum games for "abusing it". Whatever that means

Ah, weird.

I tried enabling the button again via HTML, and while the button was clickable and got me the mention, the script that add the text seems to have lagged, and blocked me from editing/deleting the post. After a minute it did delete my post, but i don't know if simply waiting would have treated the request.

In doubt of a possible ban, i'll just let the mods do their things... MAL rarely rollback their changes tho.
@Alexioos95 thanks for testing it out. I guess the only option is to ask the mods to bring it back
May 22, 12:00 PM

Feb 2018
23/05/24
May 22, 1:50 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Hello there, can you please explain exactly what's wrong with some screenshots? Did this change happen recently? Like in the last week or so?
May 22, 3:28 PM

Feb 2020
Oh yeah... it's deactivated and greyed out, only just noticed this o.o
May 22, 5:31 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to ACasualViewer
Hello there, can you please explain exactly what's wrong with some screenshots? Did this change happen recently? Like in the last week or so?
@ACasualViewer

Not sure when it happened, but here is what OP is talkimg about:

Reply function is disabled in board 9 (Forum Games)
Dreaming 'bout long gone things;
Days, on end, repeating infinitely.
Like the inside of a never-ending dream,
Whilst looking for the endless morn...
Only to return to the dream again
May 22, 8:38 PM

Dec 2018
It's supposed to be disabled because of the format for conversation view.

May 22, 10:13 PM

Feb 2018
Reply to MinakoBestGirl
It's supposed to be disabled because of the format for conversation view.
@MinakoBestGirl Idk how that works. it's been disabled a couple months back or something. That was not the case some time back when was active. I don't think it was an issue. Maybe it was just some spammers abusing it or something because i remember asking some other users in fg about it and they said it got removed because someone abused it.
May 22, 10:47 PM

Feb 2023
The Reply button in forum games was disabled when Conversation View got introduced in August 2023

Forum Conversation View: Now available
 ✅ The Reply button has been disabled in the Forum Games board to enforce time-linear posts.

Replies are more than just Quotes. In the new design (which almost nobody is using 😓) they create nested conversations to make the forum look more clean and to not distract from the main discussion.

In forum games, having messages be nested within each other undermines the structure of always refering to the message above you (Which would be a different message depending if you use Classic View or Conversation View). That's why replies are disabled in forum games.

Yes, Conversation View messed up quoting and I wish they would fix that, but enabling replies would cause more problems that it would fix.
Are there any specific forum games where you would need to reply to someone?
May 22, 10:51 PM

Feb 2018
Are there any specific forum games where you would need to reply to someone?

It's mostly the only allowed chat threads and some quote a user games. But these are pretty active threads with many regulars
May 23, 10:02 PM

Feb 2018
24/05/24
May 27, 2:35 AM

Feb 2018
27/05/24
Jun 1, 2:57 AM

Feb 2018
You guys thought i forgot about this right? No!
01/06/24
Jun 1, 7:30 AM

Feb 2023
Technically there was never a time where you could "reply" in Forum Games since the feature only exists since last year. What you mean is to "quote" which isn't necessarily the same thing.

Quote got replaced by "Reply" and "Quote Reply" which are both disabled in Forum Games because of how replies work.
If you just need the quote feature for yourself there are theoretically user scripts (like this one, edit: though I haven't tested if it properly works in Forum Games) to bring it back. Alternatively you can write the BBCode manually, like
[quote=<username> message=<message_id>]<the actual quote>[/quote]
but that sounds pretty tedious if you need to quote regularly.

What you want is the old quote feature, not replies.
VaturnaJun 1, 7:40 AM
Jun 1, 6:02 PM

Mar 2010
Agreed, Why does it feel like MAL is adding MORE and more ads but less and less features on the forums and crippling the functions.

This new reply system is janky and hideous asf.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 6, 10:49 PM

Feb 2018
@Rasco @Vaturna @MinakoBestGirl @Fleeting_Dream @Loyal_Sheepling @Alexioos95 @Alriven

Ah you guys can use this extension made by a lovely user, @Onimage

I think it works on all chromium based browser. Idk i am not that tech savy when it comes to coding. It works on opera gx
https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/quote-button-for-mal/adbdhlofjlakpajdeioijlofpmohbfbn

With this I'd consider the quote issue resolved here now. Onimage solved it.
Jun 6, 10:50 PM

Feb 2018
Rasco said:
Agreed, Why does it feel like MAL is adding MORE and more ads but less and less features on the forums and crippling the functions.

see works well now, it's just a button like it used to be
Yesterday, 9:07 AM

Mar 2010
tsukareru said:
Rasco said:

see works well now, it's just a button like it used to be

Much better, why doesn't MAL get it? we are Geeks by trade but also nerds who like data, seeing our bbcodes is what attracted us to MAL imo. simplicity and overall function.
These new owners and devs who bought MAL is the blind leading the blind.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3457 by KaguraZero »»
1 hour ago

» Why does error while posting happening?

tsukareru - Jun 6

2 by tsukareru »»
Jun 6, 9:13 PM

» FAL Ace rules

RezAra_ - Jun 2

1 by alucinotronic »»
Jun 5, 3:04 PM

» Bots/fake accounts

9765 - Jun 5

0 by 9765 »»
Jun 5, 11:34 AM

» Question about forum discussion

z0idberger - Jun 4

3 by Ahmedkabeer »»
Jun 4, 10:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.