Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Goblin Slayer (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 22, 2023 10:24 AM
Jan 2020
I have been watching Goblin Slayer for a while and a YouTube recommendation said something like "Frieren, a revival to the dead genre which is Fantasy" or "Frieren, a modern take of Fantasy"

Frieren is an amazing anime with its visuals and fantastic OP but, can we, or at least I, truly agree on the statements above? I mean, Frieren started the anime off by having the heroes already won the battle with the Demon King, which is quite generic like some Etrian Odyssey stories. It just happened with no drawbacks, no one died or lost a limb and we are acting like it's normal. It's like if One Piece started by having Brook and the gangs leaving, no adventures were shown, just Brook leaving his crews and some generic flashbacks were shown. The part after it just bothers me weirdly, Frieren just walked off the gang after spending 10 years with them. 50 years passed and she just remembered "Ah yeah, my gang 50 years ago" and then came back. If 10 years was too short for her, why did she cry for her friend whom she barely knew? And then later she just didn't care for the priest to spend 20 years with him. So which is it? If 10 years was too short, then why she didn't spend her time with the rest of the gang? Or is it long and she just forgot about the gang for over 50 years? The part after this is enjoyable but this introduction to this anime left me with a sour taste, it's more of a plot device for the story afterward.

Goblin Slayer also had a similar experience but it was more of an introduction to its direction rather than a plot device. Goblin Slayer is also a fantasy that dives into realism quite heavily. Weapons, tactics, monsters, and locations play a major role in the battle (like using flour in a confined place to make an explosion). Combined with its inspiration from D&D, I find it interesting while keeping its realism.

However, I don't hate Frieren and my comments above are more like questions than complaints. Therefore, I don't understand why people keep saying Frieren is the most realistic anime currently.
Oct 22, 2023 11:09 AM
Oct 2021
well, you concern is pretty fair, im an anime watcher so pardon me if I say bs, from what we've seen so far, Frieren hasn't really tried to engage in a relationship with any humans before the heroes party due to her absurd life time (maybe only with Flamme if she was human), and we see very often how Frieren don't mind waiting 3 years in a prison cell that could be avoided by just saying who she was, + she's very lazy. Since she didn't really cared about any other human she became even more "numb" to time. About her leaving for 50 years, we need to compare the human behavior to Frieren, an adventure of 10 years it's a pretty long time for us, and even more considering that the human age expectancy might be lower than 80yo, due to not so advanced medicine like we have today and monsters wandering around, yes they do have magic but not everyone can use it (the death rate between mages make it even lower), when you complete such adventure you look forward to live a peaceful life until the end of your days, collecting the rewards that your adventure gave you. If we compare to Frieren, its like we just went through a 1 week adventure at 15yo and said "yep thats enough adventure for me", she went to learn more magics and lost the sense of time, which she might not even have in the first place.

Getting to the point, she probably never had to worry about another humans and didn't know how to care for them, learn about them and develop relationships, and when she realized that she regret it, it's pretty much the saying "You never know how something is precious until the day you lose it"
CelliderOct 22, 2023 11:52 AM
Oct 22, 2023 11:58 AM

Aug 2020
Thats a name I havent heard in a while. I found that the Etrian Odyssey community to be most attuned to Made in Abyss, even though I strongly disagree.

Vu_Qu_Huy said:
It just happened with no drawbacks, no one died or lost a limb and we are acting like it's normal.

A pretty important detail that you have completely missed is that the first episode of the hero's journey is completely from Frieren's POV. And she spells it out bluntly. That journey was just a drop in the bucket for her and that she hasnt realized how great it was until one of her companions died. Also have you seen how OP she is? Elves in classic fantasy are like super OP and Frieren is written to be apathetic at first so yea. With her realization of this and wanting to meet Himmel again, there will be no doubt that the story will tell us the details of the Demon King slaying adventure. Episodes 2-current show us that they will be exploring the past adventure in conjunction with her new party's adventure.

Vu_Qu_Huy said:
However, I don't hate Frieren and my comments above are more like questions than complaints. Therefore, I don't understand why people keep saying Frieren is the most realistic anime currently.

When people say "most realistic anime" in current year, its just a blanket praise really. I wouldnt take any hyperboles at face value. I will say that the characters do well to cradle my suspension of disbelief more than other popular anime this season.
Keep scrolling
Oct 22, 2023 9:19 PM
Sep 2021
Vu_Qu_Huy said:
I have been watching Goblin Slayer for a while and a YouTube recommendation said something like "Frieren, a revival to the dead genre which is Fantasy" or "Frieren, a modern take of Fantasy"

Frieren is an amazing anime with its visuals and fantastic OP but, can we, or at least I, truly agree on the statements above? I mean, Frieren started the anime off by having the heroes already won the battle with the Demon King, which is quite generic like some Etrian Odyssey stories. It just happened with no drawbacks, no one died or lost a limb and we are acting like it's normal. It's like if One Piece started by having Brook and the gangs leaving, no adventures were shown, just Brook leaving his crews and some generic flashbacks were shown. The part after it just bothers me weirdly, Frieren just walked off the gang after spending 10 years with them. 50 years passed and she just remembered "Ah yeah, my gang 50 years ago" and then came back. If 10 years was too short for her, why did she cry for her friend whom she barely knew? And then later she just didn't care for the priest to spend 20 years with him. So which is it? If 10 years was too short, then why she didn't spend her time with the rest of the gang? Or is it long and she just forgot about the gang for over 50 years? The part after this is enjoyable but this introduction to this anime left me with a sour taste, it's more of a plot device for the story afterward.

I believe you’ve misunderstood the first episode. 10 years was a short amount of time for Frieren so she believed that her time spent with the party wasn’t meaningful. She left to continue her journey. After 50 years she returned, mostly to fulfill her promise to Himmel to show him a better spot for the Era Meteor Shower, rather than any sentimental reason. However, little things like Himmel saving the shadow dragon horn for her, traveling with the party and experiencing the shower again, and finally Himmel passing away, she realizes how important their time together actually was and how much she cared for Himmel especially.

That realization is what the show is truly about. The party, and Himmel especially, made such a great impact on her but she didn’t understand it until Himmel passed away. She regretted not spending more time with him and not getting to know him better, it is why she is on the journey that she is in now. It is why she went to see Heiter and then Eisen after.

I hope this explanation resolves that sour taste in your mouth. I find this show especially beautiful because sometimes you don’t realize how important people are to you until time has passed you by and this show captures that so well.
Oct 22, 2023 11:57 PM
Sep 2021
because the fans are pretentious clowns
Oct 23, 2023 12:19 AM
Nov 2021
You are right. Its alright anime but all this hyping up is probably due to youtube other social media creators milking it for money cause its R13 unlike other R17 R18 anime they cant milk cause of heavy setting.
I dont think we will escape these Bland plot anime and their fans they even come and give low scores to Goblin slayer like anime. I will say leave anime for gaming/ warhammer
Anime will never be like pre 2022 literally no big badass like AoT MyHero OnePunch anymore just look
Oct 23, 2023 12:37 AM

Aug 2021
Frwiren has less personality than a plank of wood and the other heroes are non-character plot devices.

Five minutes into the show, freiren converses with her adventuring party reminiscing on their journey. She mentions that they’ve been together “for just ten years” and they act baffled and confused because ten years is a long time to them.
So you’re telling me these people have been together for ten years.
And in ten years, they haven’t figured out that elves with their long lifespan perceive the passage of time differently.Freiren percieving the passage of time differently should have been obvious in every aspect of their daily lives.This is extremely brain-dead writing,which is presnt is every aspect of the show.

Goblin slayer is miles better than this meaningless tripe.
Oct 23, 2023 1:08 AM
Jul 2023
I don't think frieren has a particularly unique world or magic system, but I don't think it's really focusing on that. Frieren is about frieren, her immortality, her regrets caused by her immortality, and her trying to make up for those regrets. Goblin slayer focuses on goblin slayer and goblin slaying, as well as just how deplorable goblins truly are in order to prevent the viewer from feeling any sympathy.
Oct 25, 2023 1:05 AM

Nov 2019
neither one is realistic here, in goblin slayer, after so many events, they don't ever learn that goblins are a threat, even here in season 2 we have characters who still underestimate goblins, again despite countless towns destroyed, and even big cities almost got destroyed u would think people in this verse learn nope, Goblin Slayer has to constantly remind them, and why make it a harem with a aromantic MC that's is to say you won't have a romantic build up ever, lazy, pointless

as for Frieren, well she's clearly a Mary Sue nuff said
Dec 15, 2023 2:13 PM
Feb 2019
My understanding is that thus whole episode is meant to introduce the audience to the theme of time, which flows throughout the series. In this instance, yes 50 years has passed & to her, that may not have been much time. But upon learning of her friend the hero’s death, her true, deeper feelings surfaced. Grief brought about by death often does this. In everyday life we often skim cross the surface and don’t realise what’s truly important or who’s truly important. Only upon their death & passing does the pain and love of that person hit us in the face.

The 10 year thing is to remind us, that although it isn’t a long time in her life. It is still long enough to form bonds & experiences strong enough to ripple throughout our whole life. Her relationship with the Hero is like that, as too with her mentor. It’s this realisation, that she had ignored something that she actually cherished, that until his death, hasn’t realised how important it was, that made her realise she didn’t want to regret the passing of another friend - the priest. Hence her decision to remain with him for the next 20 years. And it was also because it was his request that she take the girl with her, that that was the real reason she took her.

It was the story signalling the story moving into the 2nd Arc. Frieren’s normal, starting place reality (1st arc) was her detached, lonesome world she’d spent the last 50 years in. In fact, other than the 10 years with the Hero party, time with her mentor & her years with her min in her village before it was pillaged by demons - she has always lived alone, anonymous. Now the story is signalling to us that the main character is about to begin her journey of change. Or growth, however you like to see it.

Next she catches up with the last member of the Hero’s party and takes on another character, Stark. Again, in the latest episodes time is revisited whereby the lord asks how long they’ve been together, Stark says 1 year & the girl says 3 years. The girl constantly brings up the issue of time, reminding us the audience about how Frieren experiences time so differently from those around her but that doesn’t mean she’s excluded from forming caring meaningful relationships. And I believe, that is what this current journey is about, as much as it’s about other things.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Goblin Slayer II Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2023

148 by butaniumbc »»
May 29, 8:30 AM

» kinda vanilla

KuroudoAkabane - Jan 17

27 by Dzulfaiz49 »»
May 28, 5:50 PM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer II Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2023

95 by d_lynne »»
Apr 26, 4:17 PM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer II Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2023

83 by d_lynne »»
Apr 26, 3:35 PM

» New Animation Studio

darkia1416 - Jan 21

16 by MadanielFL »»
Apr 23, 8:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.