Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 2, 2023 4:49 AM

Jan 2019
Re:Zero has
- Top Tier Storytelling
- Top Tier Cast
- Top Tier Writing
- Top Tier Arcs
- Top Tier Direction
- Top Tier Developments
- Top Tier Worldbuilding
- Top Tier Lorebuilding
- Top Tier Execution
- Top Tier Depth
- Top Tier Details
- Top Tier Foreshadowings and Callbacks
and more.

Anime Adaptation Extras:
- Top Tier Voice Acting
- Top Tier Musics

I can't even name single fantasy anime or manga half good as this.
OkeanixOct 2, 2023 5:42 AM
G.O.A.T Twitter Account: https://x.com/Okeanix1
Oct 2, 2023 5:00 AM
Apr 2021
You can’t beat peak
Oct 2, 2023 5:00 AM
Aug 2022
Personally prefer tensura. But I can’t deny re zero is great.
Oct 2, 2023 5:02 AM

Sep 2021
ReZero is and always be peak Fiction
Oct 2, 2023 5:22 AM
Oct 2020
I personally like overlord and to your eternity more, re zero, while great, still kinda sorta falls into the generic isekai tropes, unlike overlord, which has a bit more originality and nothing like your generic isekao
Oct 2, 2023 5:24 AM
Dec 2022
Yes. Re:ZERO is truly peak fantasy fiction.
Oct 2, 2023 5:32 AM
Jul 2022
Jobless reincarnation is also really good and does compare to this I prefer re zero story over jobless but that’s preference
Oct 2, 2023 5:36 AM
Apr 2021
My candidates would be Hunter x Hunter or Mushoku Tensei, but Re:Zero would probarbly also be my favorite fantasy. Shows like this make me sad there has to be cut content for anime since the worlds are so rich.
Oct 2, 2023 5:53 AM
May 2022
I think it's great n all but I prefer Tensei more👀
Oct 2, 2023 6:03 AM
Oct 2021
You should watch Juuni Kokuki.
Oct 2, 2023 6:10 AM
Apr 2022
I mean MT is at that level but rezero still peak. I also know that witch hat atelier and frieren also have the potential to be at that level with their animes
Oct 2, 2023 7:01 AM
Aug 2017
one of the big 3 isekai anime beside KonoSuba and Mushoku
Oct 2, 2023 7:08 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Because there are many fantasy anime which are on higher level than ReZero,

Even generic isekai is still more fun to see than the boring S2 of ReZero,

S1 was great though.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Oct 2, 2023 7:43 AM

Jan 2019
I'd recommend Mushoku Tensei, Grimgar and Frieren if you're looking for high quality fantasy that isn't primarily comedy.

Oct 2, 2023 8:05 AM

Apr 2022
only one I can think of is Berserk, but even that ain't beating Peak:Zero
Oct 2, 2023 8:20 AM
Feb 2021
There are many great fantasy anime out there. Take for example the recent anime Frieren which I personally think will be better than re;zero (ofc I’ll wait until it’s completely released to rate it). While there is no doubt that re;zero is indeed good, I don’t think it’s the best fantasy let alone best isekai, anime such as Mushoku Tensei exist. This is not to discredit re;zero in any way, I believe that it just lacks in certain areas, I personally didn’t find the main character to be amazing for example (but like everything in this forum post it is subject to opinion).
Oct 2, 2023 9:51 AM
Jul 2023
sadik8989 said:
I think it's great n all but I prefer Tensei more👀

The fact there's a billion shows with tensei in the name and ik exactly which one you mean speaks levels
Oct 2, 2023 10:03 AM
Aug 2021
cus it is peak fantasy
Oct 2, 2023 10:37 AM
May 2021
yes best fantasy ive read/watched
Oct 2, 2023 10:42 AM
Feb 2022
Okeanix said:
- Top Tier Storytelling
- Top Tier Cast
- Top Tier Writing
- Top Tier Arcs
- Top Tier Direction
- Top Tier Developments
- Top Tier Worldbuilding
- Top Tier Lorebuilding
- Top Tier Execution
- Top Tier Depth
- Top Tier Details
and more.

Anime Adaptation Extras:
- Top Tier Voice Acting
- Top Tier Musics

Well, you are a dark souls fan. Not many things can please you
Oct 2, 2023 11:27 AM
Feb 2021
ReZero is peak but I’d say there’s a few
Oct 2, 2023 12:44 PM
May 2020
There is one, Mushoku Tensei. Though, the manga adaptation of it is straight garbage.
Oct 2, 2023 3:54 PM

Mar 2021
Foreshadowing and callbacks, I don't think a single ln series can beat DAL. I have read enough spoilers for a ton of series to justify that which leads to writing.

World building I think the gundam series like universal century are way too hard to topple since it actually has heavily politics in.

Both are mecha/sci fi so not exactly fantasy.

Aot almost had it for foreshadowing but made a ton of bad retcons in the end which led to a bad finale.

Direction wise, I think jujutsu kaisen is the best directed anime out there.
icefirestone23Oct 2, 2023 4:13 PM
Oct 2, 2023 6:58 PM
Sep 2020
The only thing holding Re:Zero back it's the anime itself, animation (s2 part 2 was worse than both s1 and s2 part 1 animation-wise) and manly skipped content from the Light novels, just check and also read the skipped content page in the Witchcult website and you'll understand what i'm talking about
Oct 2, 2023 7:40 PM

Mar 2021
I am kind of getting the opposite feeling from light novel readers really.

1. Story is too damn long. This reduce any coherence with earlier chapters. Tappei expects re zero to run as twice as long as aot but doesn't have a fraction of the resources to get that far.

2. Gore for shock value vs other forms of storytelling like foreshadowing themes.

3. Battle through Power creep

4. Resetting after arc 6. Rather than use arc 6 to wrap it up, tie it together, give a good place for anime to conclude, he decided to reset it again.

Majority of fantasy light novels that choose to go on for too long will fall off a cliff after initial hype.

We seen that with konosuba with a universally panned prequel killing its positive reception. Regardless of what people here say, positive reception will likely dip later on as competition rolls in and people can properly judge
Oct 3, 2023 1:49 AM
Sep 2022
ya I also tried a lot to find something at the same level as re zero but I failed
it's still my top 1
Oct 3, 2023 3:38 AM
Jan 2023
CrunchyCrobat said:
I personally like overlord and to your eternity more, re zero, while great, still kinda sorta falls into the generic isekai tropes, unlike overlord, which has a bit more originality and nothing like your generic isekao

sorry but how th does rezero have generic isekai tropes but overlord doesnt. overlord is just some op skeleton killing low level npcs. world building is cool tho
Oct 3, 2023 3:50 AM
Oct 2020
darthe_ said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

sorry but how th does rezero have generic isekai tropes but overlord doesnt. overlord is just some op skeleton killing low level npcs. world building is cool tho

It's protagonist is not the hero but the villain, it's protagonist is not a neet antisocial loser but a very social salary man (which is also a thing about Tanya the evil, but talking about that would be different since we all know that one is nothing like a generic isekai to begin with), it's characters are way more unique compared to a generic isekai, especially the non nazrick members (who were made by players and what they tjoyght were cool fantasy characters), and it is complete opposite showing that no matter what the heroes do, they can never win while in re zero, just like any other isekai, if the hero tries hard enough he can win with you wouldn't believe it "the power of friendship" sooo yea, that's how overlord is a way less generic isekai that re zero, not saying re zero is bad like a generic isekai, it is still different and great and I love it, but compared to overlord, it's generic isekai tropes do show
Oct 3, 2023 10:10 AM
Aug 2022
because nothing is above Zero.....
Chris_BalubasOct 11, 2023 9:08 PM
Oct 3, 2023 4:12 PM
Oct 2020
CrunchyCrobat said:
darthe_ said:

It's protagonist is not the hero but the villain, it's protagonist is not a neet antisocial loser but a very social salary man (which is also a thing about Tanya the evil, but talking about that would be different since we all know that one is nothing like a generic isekai to begin with), it's characters are way more unique compared to a generic isekai, especially the non nazrick members (who were made by players and what they tjoyght were cool fantasy characters), and it is complete opposite showing that no matter what the heroes do, they can never win while in re zero, just like any other isekai, if the hero tries hard enough he can win with you wouldn't believe it "the power of friendship" sooo yea, that's how overlord is a way less generic isekai that re zero, not saying re zero is bad like a generic isekai, it is still different and great and I love it, but compared to overlord, it's generic isekai tropes do show

You could argue that Overlord has an overpowered MC, just like your average isekai. Re has a rather underwhelming MC. He experiences character growth, unlike many other isekai MCs and he doesn't become a beacon of virtue right away. Not to mention that his only real combat value stands in his return by death ability. That very ability makes the whole 'power of friendship' trope, as you called it, actually make sense for a turn. Subaru needs multiple loops in order to piece things together, sometimes even failing to get a perfect outcome (Rem...). Not to mention the whole 'I seem to be 1000 steps ahead, but actually am 1000 steps behind' trope Overlord has. While funny, it feels like plot armor at times.

Either way, I personally enjoy both shows. I would take Re (or Mushoku) over Overlord, but I am equally hyped for the next seasons of these shops. I only wish seasons 3 and 4 of Overlord had better CGI.
Oct 3, 2023 5:43 PM
Jun 2021
Okeanix said:
- Top Tier Storytelling
- Top Tier Cast
- Top Tier Writing
- Top Tier Arcs
- Top Tier Direction
- Top Tier Developments
- Top Tier Worldbuilding
- Top Tier Lorebuilding
- Top Tier Execution
- Top Tier Depth
- Top Tier Details
and more.

Anime Adaptation Extras:
- Top Tier Voice Acting
- Top Tier Musics

can agree 100% with it being the best isekai. Not saying it's my favorite though. Slime just hits all the feels when I'm in a bad mood or had a shit day. I could just play it and feel better
Oct 3, 2023 8:15 PM
Jan 2023
CrunchyCrobat said:
darthe_ said:

Overlord falls into a lot of tropes in isekai lmao. The things you listed don’t make overlord unique overall and also just not true. Most Isekai protagonists can basically choose who they want to be, essentially being able to escape their reality, which is totally overlord. OP protagonist, being some kind of ruler, something that isn’t human, one sided fights. “If the hero tries hard enough they can win.” Usually for these isekai thats not really the case because they’re so overpowered. Re:Zero’s main theme is self-improvement, its not like most isekai where they can forget who they were in their original lives and escape reality. Thats what Subaru wanted (which is why he had a hero complex at the beginning of the series) but he had to face the person he is. IDK where you get the “power of friendship” thing from…maybe the whole self acceptance theme? Re:Zero is different from most isekai, unlike overlord. Don’t get me wrong I love the concept of overlord, but its not too different from most other isekai like reincarnated as a slime (shares a lot of troupes but I think slime is done better). Overlord is just watching someone go from a human, to a cold ruler who doesn’t have any humanity left in him, which is cool but its not anything special, win every fight. Thats another problem. The fights are just not good, they’re a total stomp with no build up whatsoever. A guy who becomes his game character where he can basically do as he pleases, with his subordinates, and wanna take over the world. Thats all overlord really is, it has a cool concept but if we’re comparing it to the isekai genre its nothing crazy. Re:Zero is just different. It does what other isekai don’t often do. When people think of isekai, the first thing they think of is “overpowered protagonist.” which is literally the plot of overlord. When they go into Re:Zero after knowing its an isekai, they’re expecting another story about a guy whos a regular human, goes into a new fantasy world, basically abandons who he was previously, and becoming OP, living how he chooses. If Subaru had the ability to do this, thats 100% what he would do. You know this just from watching the first episode. He can’t though, he has to accept the reality of himself which leaves room for a lot of character development…so yeah in conclusion Re:Zero is one of the most unique isekai out there and its not a debate. It does the opposite of what basically every other isekai does: escaping reality. I will admit you made a good point about some characters but it doesn’t matter anyway cuz nobody poses a threat to Ainz anyway, which is mid asf. Not saying re:zero doesn’t have tropes but “the power of friendship” is just false. Sure, it can be a bit shoneny at times but I don’t see how this makes it generic isekai compared to overlord of all things.
Oct 3, 2023 9:10 PM

Feb 2021
The rezero lover is back at it again.
Oct 6, 2023 11:48 AM

Apr 2021
Try fate series absolute best.
Oct 7, 2023 5:25 PM
Jul 2021
ForeverTraitor said:
I'd recommend Mushoku Tensei, Grimgar and Frieren if you're looking for high quality fantasy that isn't primarily comedy.

Grimgar LN is slow but it kinda goes hard
Oct 9, 2023 12:56 AM

Aug 2020
Reply to Chris_Balubas
because nothing is above Zero.....
@Chris_Balubas real
Oct 10, 2023 11:36 PM

Mar 2022
Reply to CrunchyCrobat
@CrunchyCrobat i'd say re:zero is more self aware of these "troupes" than most other stories.
Its a story where op loli characters and maid characters which you might consider cliche exist, but unlike any other show, they actually have depth to them and are as relevant to the story as other characters instead of just being fan service, Children actually acting like children, "Solo the world" characters actually being handled better and also having more to their character aside from them being op etc.
Which i think just makes having these troupes better.
Oct 10, 2023 11:43 PM

Mar 2022
Reply to icefirestone23
I am kind of getting the opposite feeling from light novel readers really.

1. Story is too damn long. This reduce any coherence with earlier chapters. Tappei expects re zero to run as twice as long as aot but doesn't have a fraction of the resources to get that far.

2. Gore for shock value vs other forms of storytelling like foreshadowing themes.

3. Battle through Power creep

4. Resetting after arc 6. Rather than use arc 6 to wrap it up, tie it together, give a good place for anime to conclude, he decided to reset it again.

Majority of fantasy light novels that choose to go on for too long will fall off a cliff after initial hype.

We seen that with konosuba with a universally panned prequel killing its positive reception. Regardless of what people here say, positive reception will likely dip later on as competition rolls in and people can properly judge
icefirestone23 said:
Story is too damn long. This reduce any coherence with earlier chapters. Tappei expects re zero to run as twice as long as aot but doesn't have a fraction of the resources to get that far.

There's literally so so so much lore which can be expanded upon, i have no idea what you mean by "doesnt have the resources to get that far"
Arc 4 and arc 6 introduce a shit ton of lore.

icefirestone23 said:
Gore for shock value

What else do people expect gore for? If anything the gore represents the suffering all too well.

icefirestone23 said:
Resetting after arc 6. Rather than use arc 6 to wrap it up, tie it together, give a good place for anime to conclude, he decided to reset it again.

Sorry but This is the stupidest re:zero take i've ever seen, do you have any idea how many things would be left not revealed if it ended on arc 6? That would be so terrible if we never got the answers to so many mysteries and subplots.

More topics from this board

» There will be a Season 3 Part 2 / Season 4. ( 1 2 )

Okeanix - Sep 6

50 by Profat »»
Sep 22, 11:57 AM

» Subaru's mom is the Witch of Envy (Crazy Fan Theory)

CautiousShadow - Sep 12

22 by QcDiablo »»
Sep 20, 7:22 AM

Poll: » About FAL "Fantasy Anime League" Fall 2024

AbhinavAnge - Sep 16

14 by iGotIceInMyRice »»
Sep 19, 6:52 PM

Poll: » Novel readers, do you hate Liliana?

0451 - Sep 16

11 by Okeanix »»
Sep 18, 1:34 PM

» What is the reason you're (still) watching Re:Zero? ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Mar 27

97 by WataryAndrian »»
Sep 18, 10:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.