Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Do you think it's a slice of life?
May 29, 2023 10:09 AM

Dec 2019
Okay, I know that the show's title has the words "daily lives", but I was curious how many people believe that Nichibro is not a slice of life anime since MAL removed its slice of life tag a while back. I believe they did that because their definition of slice of life says that a comedy can't be a slice of life, and Nichibro is a comedy, so it can't be a slice of life. I put MAL's full definition in the spoiler below if you want to read it.

Anyway, I think Nichibro is a slice of life anime. What do you guys think?
May 29, 2023 10:20 AM
Apr 2017
It's a comedy I think.
May 29, 2023 10:33 AM
Aug 2021
If
♪ danshi koukousei no nichijou ♫
isn't a slice of life I donno what is
May 29, 2023 10:37 AM
Mar 2022
I wish I could erase all my memories of nichibros, so that I can watch it again.It truly was one of the most relatable animes
May 29, 2023 11:16 AM
Dec 2021
Seeing things as only 1 genre really doesnt work, especially when things like "action, drama, comedy" define tone of show while "slife of life" is more of a subject matter. its both
May 29, 2023 11:19 AM
Jan 2014
Yes, but this is clearly not what people want when they search for slice of life so I understand why. Technically anything that could happen IRL is a "slice of life" but it's just getting more specific. Like how most romance anime are also technically slice of life, but romance is a more accurate type of slice of life.

So this is a slice of life gag comedy, but when people search for that that they usually want more relaxing or drama shows, not gag comedy.
May 29, 2023 11:34 AM
Nov 2021
it's an anime where you can sit and chill and no matter how many times you watch it you will feel the same thing each time so i do think it's a slice of life anime
May 29, 2023 11:54 AM

Apr 2017
It’s a slice of life comedy. I don’t know how you can watch this anime and think it’s anything other than a slice of life.
May 29, 2023 12:36 PM
Jul 2018
In my opinion, no. I'd consider it a pure comedy. Every scene has a purpose of making a joke/gag. The point of the series is to make you laugh or at least smile.

You don't pick up the show, expecting the wholesomeness of people bonding, going through their daily routine in school/work, and encountering some drama. You expect to laugh.

The only instance that I'd call it a slice of life is the setting; a common modern setting without magic, advanced technology, and crime.

All in all, I'd say the genre is solely comedy. If someone asked for specifics, I'd elaborate and say that it has a SoL subgenre.
May 29, 2023 12:46 PM
Aug 2022
yes I think it is slice of life
May 29, 2023 2:37 PM

Dec 2019
Black60Dragon said:
Technically anything that could happen IRL is a "slice of life" but it's just getting more specific.

Could you elaborate more on that? I could think of some SoL that can't happen IRL like Aria and Dragon Maid. What do you think of those?
Black60Dragon said:
So this is a slice of life gag comedy, but when people search for that that they usually want more relaxing or drama shows, not gag comedy.

Personally, I would like to see gag comedy shows when I look for slice of life anime, but I guess I'm in the minority there.
May 29, 2023 2:39 PM

Dec 2019
Eren_Cho said:
In my opinion, no. I'd consider it a pure comedy. Every scene has a purpose of making a joke/gag. The point of the series is to make you laugh or at least smile.

You don't pick up the show, expecting the wholesomeness of people bonding, going through their daily routine in school/work, and encountering some drama. You expect to laugh.

The only instance that I'd call it a slice of life is the setting; a common modern setting without magic, advanced technology, and crime.

All in all, I'd say the genre is solely comedy. If someone asked for specifics, I'd elaborate and say that it has a SoL subgenre.

It sounds like you somewhat agree with MAL's definition of slice of life. Am I right there?
May 29, 2023 3:59 PM

Oct 2021
It's definitely more of a comedy anime if you cut it down to one genre.
yes.
May 29, 2023 6:06 PM
Jan 2016
fluffycow17 said:
Comedy stories may lack progress and have mundane settings, but they have narratives focused on eliciting laughter rather than amusing moments happening naturally. Thus, Slice of Life is incompatible with Comedy, Drama, and Romance by definition.

This 'definition' seems arbitrarily restrictive. Nichibros is definitely a slice of life comedy. The whole point is the inherent comedy of "amusing moments happening naturally".

Additionally, I don't think it's incompatible with the other two either!
Slice of life drama? When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace.

Slice of life romance? So many examples probably, but Holmes in Kyoto, Tsurezure Children, and Kimi ni Todoke come to mind.
May 29, 2023 6:41 PM
Aug 2022
Vizdrom said:
If

you forgot the 🎶auhhhhhhhhhh🎶 in the end
May 29, 2023 7:06 PM
Jan 2019
I think so.
Maybe mildly tho
May 29, 2023 7:17 PM
May 2023
the best slice of life anime
Best bleach villain
May 29, 2023 11:56 PM
Apr 2023
It’s absolutely a slice of life anime since this is an accurate representation of how high school boys truly act. Pranking each other, making everything a competition, fretting about girls, and of course being bros.

It’s a slice of life that happens to be funny, since the daily lives of many high school boys also happens to be funny. The show does such a great job of adapting various behaviors. So is it ultimately a comedy? A romance? A sports anime? No.

To help, spot the difference between these two shows:

Daily Lives of High School Boys
A slice of life that happens to be comedy-like

Haven’t you heard? I’m Sakamoto
A comedy that happens to be slice-of-life-like
May 30, 2023 2:09 AM
Jun 2021
No, it’s a comedy.
it’s not an opinion
May 30, 2023 4:53 AM
Jul 2018
fluffycow17 said:
Eren_Cho said:

It sounds like you somewhat agree with MAL's definition of slice of life. Am I right there?

Yeap! That sounds right to me. There are many interpretations of the SoL genre though, so I'm quite open-minded. I wouldn't be completely against labelling this anime as a comedy either.
May 30, 2023 7:48 AM
Jan 2014
fluffycow17 said:
Black60Dragon said:
Technically anything that could happen IRL is a "slice of life" but it's just getting more specific.

Could you elaborate more on that? I could think of some SoL that can't happen IRL like Aria and Dragon Maid. What do you think of those?
Black60Dragon said:

Personally, I would like to see gag comedy shows when I look for slice of life anime, but I guess I'm in the minority there.

Technically speaking, they're not *actually* slice of life because they aren't, well, a slice of "life". Oxford Dictionary gives the definition:

"a realistic representation of everyday experience in a movie, play, or book."

But I think the idea for something like Dragon Maid, is it's the everyday life experience... but in a fantasy world. The everyday life of Dragons, and whatnot. So it's subverting expectations of the genre. I wouldn't consider them true slices of life for that reason, but they do have many elements from the genre so I mean it really doesn't matter if you call them that or not IMO.
May 30, 2023 8:13 AM
Feb 2022
it is a comedy slash slike of life
May 30, 2023 11:19 AM
Mar 2022
Is more a compilation of funny momments of their life
May 31, 2023 1:58 AM
Mar 2021
Vizdrom said:
If

I literally sang it in my head.
May 31, 2023 3:51 PM
Sep 2021
what?? they removed SoL tag?? dafuqq... i think it's a normal slice of life tho.... just like Nichijou....
May 31, 2023 4:10 PM

Dec 2019
@Mitz_17 Well, Nichijou doesn't have the SoL tag either.
May 31, 2023 4:28 PM
Sep 2021
fluffycow17 said:
@Mitz_17 Well, Nichijou doesn't have the SoL tag either.

wtfffff
well.... i dunno what to say... but the anime was really feel like SoL anime...
just like Joshikousei no Modazukai and Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro which i checked they didn't have SoL tag too..
Jun 2, 2023 2:53 PM
Jan 2019
Kind of. To me it has slice of life bits but it’s also like a parody and very comedic too. It’s a mix. Very good anime.
Jul 6, 2023 11:24 AM

Apr 2013
I think SoL comedy describes it pretty perfectly.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Mar 26, 2012

298 by vh-s »»
Aug 6, 2:33 PM

Poll: » Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jan 9, 2012

318 by Yousif_6557 »»
Jul 12, 12:37 AM

Poll: » Do you find it funny or not? ( 1 2 )

EmperorAkashi - Mar 1, 2015

62 by rmcold »»
Jun 25, 10:25 PM

Poll: » Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Feb 20, 2012

134 by Malak373 »»
Jun 1, 10:14 AM

Poll: » Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Mar 19, 2012

132 by Reckarella »»
May 25, 6:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.