Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 11, 2023 1:09 PM

Nov 2008
Is the content of this movie adapted from a light novel?

Or is it anime original content?

(I know that the series deviates from the light novels, but it's still based on the light novels, so I was wondering if the movie is the same.)
Apr 11, 2023 1:19 PM
May 2022
MironBiron said:
Is the content of this movie adapted from a light novel?

Or is it anime original content?

(I know that the series deviates from the light novels, but it's still based on the light novels, so I was wondering if the movie is the same.)

Yes the movie as far as I know is Canon. Without spoiling, basically the movie adapts to what happens after the end of the series adapted.
Apr 11, 2023 1:20 PM
Sep 2021
yeah it's canon :).
Apr 11, 2023 2:11 PM

Aug 2021
unfortunately, yes it is
Apr 11, 2023 2:31 PM

Jul 2015
This movie is 100% canon and conclusion the series. Sadly, we would most likely never see more Violet again. 😭

Apr 11, 2023 5:23 PM
Nov 2021
kxlel02 said:
unfortunately, yes it is

you understand my pain😪
Apr 11, 2023 5:41 PM
Jan 2022
Yes it is. Hope we get more of this series in the future
Apr 11, 2023 5:50 PM
Mar 2021
MunkeeMan said:
kxlel02 said:
unfortunately, yes it is

you understand my pain😪

i finally found my people
Apr 11, 2023 6:08 PM
Nov 2020
It’s canon but shit. It destoys the whole purpose of Violet overcoming her love’s death
Apr 11, 2023 6:41 PM
Jan 2021
People really hate the ending? It’s not like she regresses to an embryo because of the plot twist. She learns to be emotionally available and independent, which don’t change after the fact. Think about how it would play out had she not developed and had bro not “died.” She would basically be his special needs super soldier daughter. The ending was amazing (even though I was completely caught off guard with it being a romantic relationship, I seriously thought it was a father-daughter type the whole time)
Apr 11, 2023 7:17 PM
Jan 2013
FreddyCartman said:
It’s canon but shit. It destoys the whole purpose of Violet overcoming her love’s death

Exactly, I fucking hated this movie
Apr 11, 2023 8:43 PM
Sep 2021
**Spoilers** Irrelevant to the post - but I thought, the movie was beautiful and very emotional. I personally connected with Violet more as a character than any anime I have watched before. Getting to see her have a happy ending when so many others didn't get that chance really was beautiful to me. It was definitely a plot twist that he was alive but it was still hinted at during the show that he could have been alive. The Major being alive didn't discredit what Violet went through and accepting his possible death. In fact her last letter in the tv series was about how she would continue to wait till she would be able to see him again and would always believe that he is alive out there. I actually feel that the Major being alive allowed us to see a whole new side of Violet that we wouldn't have saw if he had actually passed. In fact there would have really been no reason to make a movie imo if he had actually passed as the plot wouldn't really have been focused on Violet such as in the first movie.
Apr 11, 2023 11:05 PM

Oct 2020
as far as i'm aware it's canon,
a follow up and ending after the series
Apr 12, 2023 12:50 AM
Feb 2019
Yes it is and it's lovely
Apr 12, 2023 2:34 AM

Feb 2021
Not really, it is not canon in the original novel. Thankfully.
Apr 12, 2023 2:36 AM

Feb 2021
Orbakun said:
MunkeeMan said:

you understand my pain😪

The movie is ass. 🤝🏻
Apr 12, 2023 2:36 AM

Feb 2021
Orbakun said:
MunkeeMan said:

you understand my pain😪

The movie is ass. 🤝🏻
Apr 12, 2023 5:02 AM
Jul 2017
Why is everyone shitting on the fact that the Major is alive. The entire story was about Violet becoming independent and discovering herself as an actual human. Just because he’s alive doesn’t discredit any of the progress that she made throughout the series. Also as someone who specifically watched the anime then read. Was it not foreshadowed throughout, the possibility of him being alive. I expected an ending similar to the movie and thought it was beautifully done overall.
Apr 12, 2023 7:21 AM

Jun 2010
GhostMuttt said:
The ending was amazing (even though I was completely caught off guard with it being a romantic relationship, I seriously thought it was a father-daughter type the whole time)
It's interesting to see how accepted this type of twist is in Violet Evergarden considering the visceral reaction it conjured up back in Usagi Drop.
Apr 12, 2023 10:38 AM
Oct 2020
Pretty sure the light novel is the one that's canon, not the movie, thankfully. I think the movie deviated enough of the light novel to not be considered canon...
Apr 12, 2023 10:52 AM

Jan 2020
elderonn said:

It is, this movie is literally an adaptation of the LN last volume. In fact they are just almost the exact same aside extra content in the LN, both the movie and volume 3 were supposed to be released at the same time but movie got delayed so the LN volume got published first.
Apr 12, 2023 10:53 AM

Feb 2021
Reinheit_Hezen said:
elderonn said:

It is, this movie is literally an adaptation of the LN last volume. In fact they are just almost the exact same aside extra content in the LN, both the movie and volume 3 were supposed to be released at the same time but movie got delayed so the LN volume got published first.

Really? Damn. I remember hearing that the movie is anime original.
Apr 12, 2023 11:43 AM

Jan 2020
elderonn said:
Really? Damn. I remember hearing that the movie is anime original.

You are not the only one, idk why but a significant number of people believe this too. Probably they read something in random clickbait websites when search about the movie in google, it happens.
Apr 12, 2023 12:20 PM
Jan 2023
Does it really matter
If it’s good I’ll watch it
Apr 12, 2023 1:28 PM
Jan 2021
Asturaetus said:
GhostMuttt said:
The ending was amazing (even though I was completely caught off guard with it being a romantic relationship, I seriously thought it was a father-daughter type the whole time)
It's interesting to see how accepted this type of twist is in Violet Evergarden considering the visceral reaction it conjured up back in Usagi Drop.

Not familiar, plan to read it soon though.
Apr 12, 2023 10:45 PM
Jun 2020
elderonn said:
Orbakun said:

The movie is ass. 🤝🏻

What's the problem y'all have with it? I thought it was pretty good, so genuinely want to know what ya don't like about it.
Apr 12, 2023 11:14 PM

Feb 2021
CaffeinatedRoman said:
elderonn said:

The movie is ass. 🤝🏻

What's the problem y'all have with it? I thought it was pretty good, so genuinely want to know what ya don't like about it.

It regressed everything that violet went through as a character. It made the beautiful ending for the series obsolete. Also the major x violet ship is weird and pedophilic. He is like 31 and she is 16 (at the time of the movie). He was more like a father figure to her than a lover. Also him being alive is a deus ex machina.
Apr 13, 2023 12:45 AM
Jun 2020
elderonn said:
CaffeinatedRoman said:

It regressed everything that violet went through as a character. It made the beautiful ending for the series obsolete. Also the major x violet ship is weird and pedophilic. He is like 31 and she is 16 (at the time of the movie). He was more like a father figure to her than a lover. Also him being alive is a deus ex machina.

Alright yeah fair enough, I can't say I disagree. I do agree that the way their relationship ended up didn't feel right. I still enjoyed watching it, but those are some pretty understandable problems to have with it.
CaffeinatedRomanApr 13, 2023 12:59 AM
Apr 13, 2023 1:19 AM
Dec 2018
elderonn said:
CaffeinatedRoman said:

idk I just completely disagree with this assessment. I personally thought that the movie was handled better than a majority of the show and think that the conclusion and character arcs that violet and the major went through were more than satisfying and a beautiful end that expands upon the original show as opposed to undermining it. Also I definitely did not see their relationship as romantic in anyway. I interpret Violet and the majors relationship as father and daughter similar to how Claudia wishes he could care for her as the Major did. Whenever the word 'love' came up as a topic I saw it in the sense that she is able to recognize what platonic love is, not romantic. Even as the film ended there was no hint of any romantic relationship developing between the two that I could see.

Character arcs don't need to be equivocally symbolic or represent completely moving on imo. I think that wanting her to move on from the Major is a choice she could have made as a character that she did not follow up on because she wanted definitive closure and happiness.

I can understand that in a symbolic sense she regressed but, taking how she feels into context, I don't think she regressed at all. In a vacuum, at the end of the show she moved on from the attachment she had to the Major to writing for others and expressing emotions while learning along the way. By the end of the movie she reconciles with the major and decides to spend her life on the island with him instead of working as a doll. I get why someone wouldn't like this change in a vacuum, but the rest of the film and the show develops how Violet feels about the Major and her decision to seek him out after finding out about his survival is not out of character for her.

The only point I will concede is that the major surviving is a deus ex machina trope, but I still think that the material that came as a result of it was worth his miraculous survival. Honestly I think the bigger stretch is finding out he lived based off the penmanship out of all the undelivered letters. Even considering the implausibilities of the Majors situation, the violet evergarden series itself has a bevy of problems regarding believable events some of which I think are much more notable than the Movie's.

tl;dr I think the movie is excellent and does not undermine the original at all.
Apr 13, 2023 3:18 AM

Nov 2008
Does the major turn out to be alive in the novels as well?

Or is that an anime original addition?

I don’t mind spoilers.

Also:

How does the movie differ from the light novel’s final part?
MironBironApr 13, 2023 3:32 AM
Apr 13, 2023 7:02 PM
Jul 2022
MironBiron said:

I don’t mind spoilers.

Also:

Spoilers for the Light Novels Below

In the light novels, the story diverges during the train defense arc. Instead of Dietfried being on the train and saving Violet, Gilbert parachutes in with spec-ops and saves her. He apologizes for letting her think he died, etc.

In the anime, Gilbert was rescued by the enemy who mistook him for one of their own. Due to multi-faceted guilt, as explained in the film, Gilbert decides to dedicate his life caring for the fatherless children of the island.

In the manga, Gilbert was rescued by his allies and put in charge of a spec-ops team. Gilbert maintained contact with Claudia (unlike the anime) and made him lie to Violet about his death.

There are a *lot* of stories that happen afterwards. Violet begins dating Gilbert, eventually.

(In both adaptions Gilbert is in his early 20s when he meets Violet again)
Apr 16, 2023 1:05 PM

Jan 2009
OmegaFramework said:

Gilbert maintained contact with Claudia (unlike the anime) and made him lie to Violet about his death.
Oh, thank god they omitted that in the movie. Would've been extremely weird to watch that, imo.
Apr 18, 2023 2:06 PM
Jul 2021
Asturaetus said:
GhostMuttt said:

Spoilers for Usagi Drop, but nah, comparing this to that where the 20-30 yo man literally raises a little girl and then marries her is just not it.

Not only is the age difference here about half (or less) compared to that, but here we at least get signs from early on that Violet does think of him romantically and vice versa. At least that was my impression.

You're allowed to not like what happens in the movie, but Usagi Drop is much, much, much worse in that sense.
Apr 19, 2023 12:36 PM
Nov 2021
FreddyCartman said:

THANK YOU ! i thought i was the only one who didn't like it.
the movie was beautifull visually and music production was great, but the plot really dissapointed me. it was especially wierd for me because i didn't even consider them lovers in the first place, i liked the ambiguity of their relationship in the original anime.

The whole movie just seemed very fan-servicy
Apr 19, 2023 12:38 PM
Nov 2021
OmegaFramework said:
MironBiron said:

I don’t mind spoilers.

Also:

Spoilers for the Light Novels Below

In the light novels, the story diverges during the train defense arc. Instead of Dietfried being on the train and saving Violet, Gilbert parachutes in with spec-ops and saves her. He apologizes for letting her think he died, etc.

In the anime, Gilbert was rescued by the enemy who mistook him for one of their own. Due to multi-faceted guilt, as explained in the film, Gilbert decides to dedicate his life caring for the fatherless children of the island.

In the manga, Gilbert was rescued by his allies and put in charge of a spec-ops team. Gilbert maintained contact with Claudia (unlike the anime) and made him lie to Violet about his death.

There are a *lot* of stories that happen afterwards. Violet begins dating Gilbert, eventually.

(In both adaptions Gilbert is in his early 20s when he meets Violet again)

honestly, as much as i don't really like the movie, i prefer it over the light novel's version
Apr 26, 2023 5:52 PM
Jan 2021
Asturaetus said:
GhostMuttt said:

Just finished it and I’d say it’s much different, daikichi raised rin from when she was a child and their was a 24 year age gap. Violet and Gilbert’s age gap is like a decade less and they met when she was a young teen, so he wasn’t metaphorically wiping her ass like daikichi did.

I really wanted to be pissed at you for spoiling it for me but I can’t be bothered with an ending that bad 🙁
May 30, 2023 9:56 AM
May 2023
Asturaetus said:
GhostMuttt said:

I don't think this is a comparison that makes much sense once you look past the surface. The problem with Usagi Drop's ending is not just that it's an age gap romance or pseudo-incest or whatever, it's that:

1. Daikichi is not just a father figure to Rin, he literally shoulders every conceivable responsibility and undertakes every action that a parent normally would for their own child, and he has done that since she was 6 years old. In all but blood and paper, he is her dad and worked really hard at doing it right.
2. After everything established about Daikichi's character and his attitude towards raising her, it's impossible to believe he would choose to be with her in that way. It's completely out-of-character, i.e. contradiction, i.e. objectively bad writing.

The only situation I can think of to compare to Usagi Drop would be that pants-on-head-retarded subplot in Rakugo Shinjuu
which is not only completely unnecessary but again completely undermines and contradicts everything ever established about their relationship and character. Josei mangaka 0 for 2
asinineobsequiesMay 30, 2023 9:59 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Movie Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

aku_mado - Sep 18, 2020

324 by Weasel244 »»
May 21, 1:27 AM

» Romance between gilbert and violet ( 1 2 )

NaCreamy - May 7, 2021

75 by Arminken »»
May 3, 2:42 AM

» The ending is horrible in my opinion ( 1 2 3 )

GRG3 - Sep 3, 2023

104 by EntireInternet »»
Mar 24, 2:33 PM

» Usagi Drop similarities (spoiler)

RealNath - Jan 26

14 by veroubri »»
Jan 27, 5:36 AM

» Should I watch the movie or TV show first?

Damon_dinh - Aug 9, 2023

29 by Ronaldthompson »»
Oct 15, 2023 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.