Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Yuri is My Job
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 8, 2023 9:21 AM
Aug 2021
Although the manga had a similar initial backlash about the characters, i do think that people are being harsher on Ep1 because of the comedy tag MAL has put on this show. To me it's plainly the wrong tag, it is not COMEDY, this story is more about melodramatic arcs. 
Lot of people may be expecting a regular SoL cutesy Yuri, this is not it. it is no Scum Wish or Nana but it's also not a bubbly all happy girls. 
And, on a personal note, I do think that also the Seyuus/voice direction choices do not help, too much childish cute voices specially from one of the adult characters.  Which also makes them misdirect the perception of the show seriousness. :S. 
Hopefully with the next couple of episodes people realize the story has a bit more depth. 
Apr 8, 2023 9:33 AM
Feb 2022
But it is SoL cutesy yuri XD
Apr 8, 2023 10:26 AM
Oct 2022
gawed said:
Although the manga had a similar initial backlash about the characters, i do think that people are being harsher on Ep1 because of the comedy tag MAL has put on this show. To me it's plainly the wrong tag, it is not COMEDY, this story is more about melodramatic arcs. 
Lot of people may be expecting a regular SoL cutesy Yuri, this is not it. it is no Scum Wish or Nana but it's also not a bubbly all happy girls. 
And, on a personal note, I do think that also the Seyuus/voice direction choices do not help, too much childish cute voices specially from one of the adult characters.  Which also makes them misdirect the perception of the show seriousness. :S. 
Hopefully with the next couple of episodes people realize the story has a bit more depth. 

you're probably right, before watching the first episode it looked like a generic CGDCT comedy with yuri, but it seems like it's more focused on the drama and diving into the girls' lives, I wasn't expecting that so I also didn't like it very much, but it seems promising so I'll keep watching
Apr 8, 2023 10:41 AM
Jun 2021
Beautiful 😍😍😍😍
Apr 8, 2023 12:09 PM
Aug 2021
Ravenclaw690 said:
gawed said:

you're probably right, before watching the first episode it looked like a generic CGDCT comedy with yuri, but it seems like it's more focused on the drama and diving into the girls' lives, I wasn't expecting that so I also didn't like it very much, but it seems promising so I'll keep watching

indeed I recommend watching it completely. if the anime adapts the arcs I think it will, it should get to a very good climax that makes good use of the personalities and flaws. it's not a masterpiece but it's not a full cliche boredoom either.
Apr 8, 2023 1:18 PM
Sep 2021
Agreed. YimJ has more in common with a daytime soap than a comedy. That so many people in the episode discussion thread are comparing it to Blend-S is nuts. This series is practically its exact opposite.
Apr 9, 2023 11:22 AM
Mar 2012
Both the Comedy and Slice of Life tag are wrong. Replace them with Drama.
Apr 9, 2023 1:48 PM
Apr 2014
Don't know which anime you watched but the first episode had a bunch of comedy moments. So i guess the tag is correct
Apr 13, 2023 11:36 AM

Feb 2020
I don't see any problems with these tags. They are 100% correct.
Apr 13, 2023 7:29 PM
Oct 2018
I didn't even look at the tags besides yuri, but melodrama is (rightfully) always going to score poorly. That's not even the issue with the first two episodes. It's that every character is entirely unreasonable and mean about it  making all of the potential love interests instantly hateable. Like the scenario is so unreasonably mean to the main girl that it kind of needed to be comedy. Instead it just comes off as cruel and the characters appear to be really dumb. "Omg I'm so mad that you broke this rule we didn't tell you about in this job we blackmailed you into." or "Oh, I can't tell which one is the real her, the act she is clearly putting on for the customers or the mean spirited cruel obviously real personality she has all the rest of the time."
Apr 15, 2023 9:59 PM

Dec 2016
RinTheWanderer said:
I didn't even look at the tags besides yuri, but melodrama is (rightfully) always going to score poorly.

This isn't a melodrama. A melodrama is a story where the characters' interactions are meant to move the audience with extravagant theatricality. Something like One Piece scenes where the main cast are running rivers of tears and allows them to gather inner strenght to overcome their feats with power of friendship. that's a good example of melodrama.

This is straight out comedy that could even be portrayed in an american sitcom. I remember when Jerry Seinfeld told the plot of his upcoming sitcom about a guy who had a fender bender with some random guy and a judge sentences the culprit to become the butler for the other guy. It's a ridiculous setting that obviously screams comedy for how ludricrous the coercion of one guy becoming the servant of another.

RinTheWanderer said:
Like the scenario is so unreasonably mean to the main girl that it kind of needed to be comedy. Instead it just comes off as cruel and the characters appear to be really dumb.

The tone and ambiance is still on par with comedy. You're just blindsided because Hime is meant to be everyone's pin cushion (look out for the definition of mean comedy). I've said it before and I'll say it again, Konosuba is pretty much the staple of mean comedy and some people are just too unaware of the term or expect all entertainment to be just tea parties and tickle fights.
Apr 16, 2023 5:23 AM

Sep 2009
what the hell are you talking about OP? This is clearly a comedy. And who said comedy can't have drama?! I refer you to Gintama, one of the most famous comedies in anime, but has some of the extreme drama arcs. Just because something is a comedy, doesn't mean it can't have a proper plot.
Apr 16, 2023 10:10 PM

Jan 2013
The problem has nothing to do with it not being comedy.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 17, 2023 9:54 AM
Oct 2018
Kimurah said:
RinTheWanderer said:
I didn't even look at the tags besides yuri, but melodrama is (rightfully) always going to score poorly.

This isn't a melodrama. A melodrama is a story where the characters' interactions are meant to move the audience with extravagant theatricality. Something like One Piece scenes where the main cast are running rivers of tears and allows them to gather inner strenght to overcome their feats with power of friendship. that's a good example of melodrama.

This is straight out comedy that could even be portrayed in an american sitcom. I remember when Jerry Seinfeld told the plot of his upcoming sitcom about a guy who had a fender bender with some random guy and a judge sentences the culprit to become the butler for the other guy. It's a ridiculous setting that obviously screams comedy for how ludricrous the coercion of one guy becoming the servant of another.

RinTheWanderer said:
Like the scenario is so unreasonably mean to the main girl that it kind of needed to be comedy. Instead it just comes off as cruel and the characters appear to be really dumb.

The tone and ambiance is still on par with comedy. You're just blindsided because Hime is meant to be everyone's pin cushion (look out for the definition of mean comedy). I've said it before and I'll say it again, Konosuba is pretty much the staple of mean comedy and some people are just too unaware of the term or expect all entertainment to be just tea parties and tickle fights.
Konosuba is one of my favorite comedies and is very funny. This show is not funny. The scenes where they tell off the main character for not knowing the menu is not the show making a joke about how unreasonable the staff is, it's trying to pass it off as correct, as if she was the one that made the mistake. The characters are being melodramatic to the extreme and I don't know how you could possibly argue otherwise. Being mean AND funny can be fine, but they aren't being funny and thats the problem.
Apr 18, 2023 1:37 AM
Aug 2014
It's the same yuri garbage that has been poppin up so fucking much over the last year.
Apr 20, 2023 1:05 AM
Aug 2018
TheSekiryuutei said:
It's the same yuri garbage that has been poppin up so fucking much over the last year.
 Still better than those garbage isekai hetero harem that keep popping up every second.
Apr 20, 2023 8:29 AM
Jan 2021
I don't necessarily agree with everything you've said OP, but you are absolutely right that the should should be tagged as drama, because that's what it is. there are some comedic elements, but the main core of the story is the relationship drama between the 4 main girls, plus the side drama with Nene and an as of yet unintroduced in the anime character
Apr 20, 2023 8:38 AM
Nov 2013
It's pretty much a soap opera, just with cute girls. It can be funny, but a lot of the story revolves around the never ending drama.
Apr 20, 2023 8:39 AM
Jan 2021
baymaxemon said:

if you read the manga you would not be saying this
Apr 20, 2023 10:35 AM

Dec 2016
RinTheWanderer said:
Kimurah said:

Konosuba is one of my favorite comedies and is very funny. This show is not funny. The scenes where they tell off the main character for not knowing the menu is not the show making a joke about how unreasonable the staff is, it's trying to pass it off as correct, as if she was the one that made the mistake. The characters are being melodramatic to the extreme and I don't know how you could possibly argue otherwise. Being mean AND funny can be fine, but they aren't being funny and thats the problem.

The whole town that Kazuma and friends saved from the Destroyer in season 1 placed Kazuma on trial and found him guilty for destruction of property with a very thin case. Kazuma steals Kyouya's sword without any warning about him being a total con man and a fillibuster. Likewise he steals Chris & Megumin's panties without proper explanation of what he can do with his "steal" skill. Bigger coercion moment comes when Kazuma drags Aqua into their new world without any notice. Just pointing out Kazuma's cunning skills. I could go on and on how Konosuba does play the UNREASONABLE coercion tune every time it can, but somehow in Watashi no Yuri it's just not the same according to people like you?

Regarding the humor, you know what they say, it's all subjective. I've read dozens of people that don't like the Konosuba humor and they call it unfunny. Even I had a hard time adjusting my expectations for most of season 1 to finally get it.
KimurahApr 20, 2023 10:42 AM
Apr 20, 2023 9:34 PM
Oct 2018
Kimurah said:
The whole town that Kazuma and friends saved from the Destroyer in season 1 placed Kazuma on trial and found him guilty for destruction of property with a very thin case. Kazuma steals Kyouya's sword without any warning about him being a total con man and a fillibuster. Likewise he steals Chris & Megumin's panties without proper explanation of what he can do with his "steal" skill. Bigger coercion moment comes when Kazuma drags Aqua into their new world without any notice. Just pointing out Kazuma's cunning skills. I could go on and on how Konosuba does play the UNREASONABLE coercion tune every time it can, but somehow in Watashi no Yuri it's just not the same according to people like you?

Regarding the humor, you know what they say, it's all subjective. I've read dozens of people that don't like the Konosuba humor and they call it unfunny. Even I had a hard time adjusting my expectations for most of season 1 to finally get it.
Correct. Playing unreasonable coercion as comedy is completely possible and can be hilarious. This show just doesn't do that. You can tell in konosuba they are telling that joke. The author clearly thinks the characters are being unreasonable or assholes. The author of this anime is not presenting it as a joke. That's the very large difference. The narrative the author is trying to spin with that scene, is that the staff is correct and our main girl is wrong. The narrative konosuba constantly tries to spin is that our main characters are assholes that are very frequently in the wrong for comedic effect.

The direction of the scene, and the main characters reaction to the events are all crucial context that differentiate these examples. the only unreasonable person joke this anime is telling is getting blackmailed to work at the cafe in the first place. It wasn't especially funny how they pulled it off, but it was clearly intended to be funny. The delivery is 9 times out of 10 far more important than the punch line. The order being in german was also a joke, but the main character being expected to know that wasn't. Neither was her getting yelled at for calling the other girl onee-sama. That part is supposed to be dramatic instead of comedic, which is why it comes of as mean but not funny.

You also bring up kazuma's cunning and that level of devious intelligence is a large factor to why it works. The only character in this show with even an ounce of cunning is the boss.
Apr 22, 2023 12:30 PM

Mar 2014
LeftieAlex said:
baymaxemon said:

if you read the manga you would not be saying this
They are unlikely to reach those darker parts, bro.

12 episodes. Early series was mostly SOL with soft comedy and SOME melodrama.

Late series is a entire diferent beast.
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
May 27, 2023 9:59 PM
Mar 2012
Can the mods change the tags for this now? It's abundantly clear from the latest episodes this show is a Drama and not a Comedy. Keeping it as a Comedy is misleading.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 22, 2023

62 by Delphantasist »»
Jun 13, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu! Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 8, 2023

40 by Delphantasist »»
Jun 8, 3:36 PM

Poll: » Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu! Episode 9 Discussion

Mcsuper - Jun 1, 2023

46 by Delphantasist »»
Jun 8, 3:31 PM

Poll: » Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu! Episode 8 Discussion

Marinate1016 - May 25, 2023

43 by Delphantasist »»
Jun 3, 9:14 PM

Poll: » Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu! Episode 6 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 12, 2023

29 by Delphantasist »»
May 31, 7:12 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.