Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 11, 2023 9:49 AM

Mar 2018
I think this should be an option where, you can pick who can see that you're online or not. 
Mar 11, 2023 10:32 AM

Jan 2017
CuteChaff3503 said:
I think this should be an option where, you can pick who can see that you're online or not. 

Why tho ?
Seems like a useless feature , to me.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Mar 11, 2023 12:31 PM

Sep 2010
Alexioos95 said:
CuteChaff3503 said:

Why tho ?
Seems like a useless feature , to me.

Never heard about that thing called privacy?
Mar 11, 2023 12:58 PM

Jan 2017
ateks said:

If peoples truly did care about privacy , they wouldn't use internet , especially for social medias/forums...

As for the suggestion itself , adding an invisible mode would be useless , as lists updates are still visible anyway. (Even setting it to private doesn't stop tracks from entries stats.)
It would just be like on Discord , some users loves to be in invisible , and at some point we know they are connected.
Alexioos95Mar 11, 2023 1:11 PM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Mar 11, 2023 1:19 PM

Sep 2010
Alexioos95 said:
ateks said:

If peoples truly did care about privacy , they wouldn't use internet , especially for social medias/forums...

As for the suggestion itself , adding an invisible mode would be useless , as lists updates are still visible anyway. (Even setting it to private doesn't stop tracks from entries stats.)
It would just be like on Discord , some users loves to be in invisible , and at some point we know they are connected.

What a bullshit argument and also you can set your lists to private to hide all your updates so what are you talking about?
Mar 11, 2023 1:22 PM

Jan 2017
ateks said:
What a bullshit argument

I don't see how it's bullshit when internet is full of flaws , from which datas leaks...
But the truth is that most peoples prefer to ignore it , or worse , nowadays a lot of them just don't care anymore.

ateks said:
you can set your lists to private to hide all your updates so what are you talking about?

Even while setting your list to private , your account can still be found in the recent updates of an entry : https://myanimelist.net/anime/51535/Shingeki_no_Kyojin__The_Final_Season_-_Kanketsu-hen/stats?m=all#members
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Mar 11, 2023 1:35 PM

Sep 2010
Alexioos95 said:
I don't see how it's bullshit when internet is full of flaws , from which datas leaks...
But the truth is that most peoples prefer to ignore it , or worse , nowadays a lot of them just don't care anymore.

Just because something has flaws doesn't mean you should give up on it. Your home doors have flaws and yet you wouldn't just hand me over your keys would you?

Alexioos95 said:
Even while setting your list to private , your account can still be found in the recent updates of an entry

That's not true. I already tested that a year ago and it's not visible if you set it to private and I just tested it again and it's still not visible.
Mar 11, 2023 1:46 PM

Jan 2017
ateks said:
Just because something has flaws doesn't mean you should give up on it. Your home doors have flaws and yet you wouldn't just hand me over your keys would you?

True.

Is the connection status really the most dangerous option for privacy tho ?
Truly seems like the least concerning thing here...

ateks said:
That's not true. I already tested that a year ago and it's not visible if you set it to private and I just tested it again and it's still not visible.

Oh , i didn't knew MAL fixed that.
It was the case before , you can even find threads with peoples complaining about it. (Like that one)
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Mar 11, 2023 2:15 PM

Nov 2018
Hidden Online status like on chat apps? Sounds unnecessary to me on a website. If you don't want to e.g. reply to each comment all the time on your profile just don't do it. You're not forced to do anything here. Relax and post whenever you like it's just 'online' not your rl. 
Mar 11, 2023 5:04 PM

Oct 2022
Come on ladies, relax a little! Now that its silent.....I think it would be a nice idea if only your friends could see if you're online or not instead of choosing individuals but other then that, its not really needed.
opin·ion
[əˈpɪnjən]

NOUN

1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge:"that, in my opinion, is right" ·

Mar 11, 2023 8:42 PM

Jul 2017
I don't think that there's any harm in having a feature like that, but I also wouldn't feel any differently if it was added in. People knowing when I'm online or not doesn't concern me at all personally. 🤷‍♂️ 
Mar 12, 2023 4:12 AM

Dec 2015
It is not really an uncommon thing though. A lot of older forums software (even big commercial onces) had ghost mode features. Where admins and mods could still see the online status. Normal users not. And just because someone things it would be useless or you should just not be online if you care about privacy ... does not mean it would be a good idea.

I mean: We also have a list feature on MAL even though people could just use a text file to keep track of their watched anime.

As for this suggested feature: If you want to just browse the forums and the site then you wouldn't even update your list. (Yes you could log out for that - but that would be invoncenient.) And you could just decide to not reply on certain stuff ... but it is about other people that might expect an reply. I don't see it any different here from stuff on messenger apps. Where some even offer to not show that you read the message of the other person. (Since some people get crazy when someone reads their stuff and there is no reply within a few seconds. Boyfriend might have cheated then ... having another girl already. Lol.)
LuthandoriusMar 12, 2023 4:16 AM

More topics from this board

» Do you guys want a dislike reaction for reviews or something like it?

emryuu - 2 hours ago

3 by Darkerplayer »»
1 hour ago

» Prevent obscure Donghua from polluting the top rankings

Zarutaku - Jun 3

17 by zombie_pegasus »»
12 hours ago

» Anime/Manga Tierlist

sprain - Yesterday

1 by Zarutaku »»
Today, 5:05 AM

» Changing anime title to English.

removed-user - Feb 10, 2020

20 by SD_Sweden_W »»
Yesterday, 12:13 PM

» Rework the database algorithm.

Lucifrost - May 30

13 by Darkerplayer »»
Yesterday, 12:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.