Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Do you prefer serious or comedy focused yugioh?
Feb 3, 2023 4:32 PM

Sep 2018
As a big yugioh anime fan since the original, I noticed VRains was the last attempt for a serious yugioh anime.  Do you prefer the new slice of life comedy style.  Do you want the serious nature to come back?  It seems Sevens and Go Rush follow this more lighthearted childrens card game format while everything before it made serious consequences to losing certain duels.  I liked Sevens and Go Rush, but I do miss the older format and complex plots.
Feb 3, 2023 5:06 PM

Jul 2022
I liked YGO a lot better when they really embraced the occult and Egyptian themes for the cards and the high stakes that went along with it.

I'm enjoying Sevens well enough, but I miss the YGO I grew up with. Surprising I know.

The cards now almost remind me of when Pokemon stopped being (mostly) based on animals and started being sentient trash bags and ice cream cones.
Feb 3, 2023 5:30 PM

Sep 2018
Either way is fine, if done well. Lower stakes actually make duels more interesting, since the good guys are allowed to lose. 

I love Sevens and dislike Go Rush because the latter spends less time on slice of life and fleshing out the characters in order to make room for the alien plot, which feels to me like a waste of time since plot is never going to be the strong point of Yu-Gi-Oh, except maybe the OG.
Feb 3, 2023 5:39 PM

Nov 2020
Yu-Gi-Oh! anime series always does both serious and comedy. The thing about new Yu-Gi-Oh! rush duel era is they target viewer is for child, so they make it more comedy and ignore about serious stuff.

What Does Pot of Greed do?
Feb 3, 2023 6:13 PM

Feb 2020
I have watched one entire episode of Yugioh in my life so idk but it feels like a similar approach as Jojo would be good with being serious but not taking itself seriously at the same time.

alexw1020 said:
The cards now almost remind me of when Pokemon stopped being (mostly) based on animals and started being sentient trash bags and ice cream cones.
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Gen 1: Geodude, Graveler, Magnemite, Magneton, Grimer, Muk, Voltorb, Electrode, Exeggcute, Koffing, Weezing, Ditto (12/151)

Gen 5: Roggenrola, Boldore, Gigalith, Cofagrigus, Trubbish, Garbodor, Vanillite, Vanillish, Vanilluxe, Klink, Klang, Klinklang, Litwick, Lampent, Chandelure, Cryogonal (16/156)
Feb 3, 2023 6:47 PM

Mar 2016
Prefer serious, but i know the latter two series being seven and go rush is heavily targeted children for newer player generation promotion on tcg

Feb 3, 2023 6:55 PM

Jul 2013
In my circle, nobody talks about the anime anymore. Albaz and vsauce are the way to go.
Feb 3, 2023 7:32 PM

Dec 2020
in honesty i wouldn't want yugioh to be full on serious it'd probably come off edgy and annoying. as little as i've even heard anyone talk about sevens/gorush and had no clue they even existed until pretty recently i'm perfectly fine with them existing they don't offend me and haven't done anything to piss me off since at the end of the day the main audience has been kids they're just tapping into that more

if yugioh went back to the style of the older series out of no where i don't think it'd fly after all that change they did with recent shows, at best even if you hate the newer style you can just imagine the series ended already at whatever part you last liked the most
I like Közi a healthy amount.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This is no joke I'm really going to do it this time.
Feb 3, 2023 7:36 PM

Aug 2016
Well, even for serious series has its flaws or should I say: calmer episodes?. Remember GX used to be slice of life duels during the 1st half of the show? Remember Zexal protag, Yuma was overhated for being childish and loser? Also the 1st half of both season basically similar to GX like remember when Cathy duel against dog that can speak? Remember ARC V had Miami championship but Reiji had to cancel it due to dimensional war? Remember VRAINS was all about recap for after every 4-5 episodes?
Probably the most serious series go to DM & 5D's. All I can remember for calmer episode is only few, filler episodes like Mai vs that ninja guy (can't remember his name), the first half of Grand Championship arc, introduction of Zigfried, Leo, Vivian Wong, etc. For 5D's, simulation duel in arcade vs cup ramen man and when Yusei & Aki ice skating together.
As for me, I'm enough with Go Rush probably because it follows the same pattern with SEVENS. I do watch SEVENS, tho. But after finishing that show, and watch Go Rush, then "Okay, too much SoL, lack of serious duel". So SEVENS is just my introduction to the new mechanic called, as you all know "rush duel format".
Feb 3, 2023 9:44 PM

Aug 2012
I can't recall Yu-Gi-Oh ever having taken itself seriously
Feb 3, 2023 10:28 PM

Sep 2018
I notice a lot of people saying that yugioh was not ever serious, and this is false.  I am guessing people get this idea from watching the censored dubs. 
Feb 7, 2023 8:33 AM
Dec 2017
May as well shill season 0 as hard as you can.

Feb 22, 2023 2:22 AM

Dec 2012
If Shueisha actually gave a damn, they would have announced a Yugioh remake anime that accurately adapted Takahashi's manga that the original 1998 and 2000 anime butchered. Those 2 series were intentionally not made faithful because they had an agenda. I do give props to the 1998 anime for doing as the title (Yuugi Ou; means Game King) advertised, which is playing many different games. The 2000 anime inserted card games whenever it could even in arcs that had no card game. The 25th manga anniversary passed and they did nothing after letting Takahashi make a manga canon sequel manga and movie to this manga. Manga fans such as myself were expecting a remake anime for the 25th manga anniversary after the 20th manga anniversary and they goofed. They could have showed love to Takahashi while he was alive by letting him see his manga adapted faithfully. Instead, nothing happened and he passed away during the 25th anniversary. The worse outcome to ever happen. Takahashi's true story deserves to be told.

@Crow_Black A series that starts at chapter 1 and covers the first 59 chapters of the source material and is literally named after it is not 0. It is Series 1. Sequels and spinoffs get subtitles. Duel Monsters starts at chapter 60. It is Series 2. If you already know this then educate instead of enabling misinformation that disrespects the creator. Have a good day.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 49 Discussion

EvianBubble - Sep 12, 2010

16 by -DxP- »»
May 25, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 45 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 25, 2010

13 by -DxP- »»
May 25, 4:39 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 42 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 23, 2010

13 by -DxP- »»
May 25, 3:04 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 39 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 22, 2010

13 by -DxP- »»
May 24, 3:19 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 37 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 22, 2010

10 by -DxP- »»
May 23, 1:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.