Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 13, 2022 8:20 PM

Dec 2021
[SPOILER WARNING]

Ok, I enjoyed Gurren Lagaan, it's a pretty cool show, however, something I couldn't stand was how Simon was treated. Kamina and Simon were a dynamic duo, yet pretty much 80% of the characters failed to see that. All they did was dick ride Kamina. Now me personally, i think Kamina is a cool character, he is a natural born leader and outgoing, while Simon is more timid. Simon helped Kamina get out of sticky situations and win the battle, even Kamina acknowledges that. Unfortunately, everyone just sees Kamina as a hero and ignores Simon. The worst part was when Kamina died, literally nobody seemed to give a shit about Simon. Some of these people knew how important Kamina was to Simon, yet they didn't give a fuck. That shit was honestly insane to think about. The only people that were there for him was that little mole rat thing and Nia. Rossiu, (even though I started to hate him a lot later on in the series) actually had a shred of human emotion and acknowledged the fact that Simon was in pain, only to be stopped by Yoko. Even though it was a pathetic, halfhearted attempt, at least it seemed like he gave a shit compared to others. Absolutely nobody was there for him or tried to comfort him. Honestly, that changed my whole view on the series.

Putting all that shit aside, the fight scenes go hard because of the team work and unity, however, I still can't ignore the fact that Simon was treated like fucking shit. Once Simon did something, everyone went fucking crazy for him, even though he was doing what he was doing the whole time, even when Kamina was alive. But yeah, Gurren Lagaan is a 9/10.
Aug 13, 2022 9:32 PM
Oct 2020
LeftRightBitch said:
[SPOILER WARNING]

Ok, I enjoyed Gurren Lagaan, it's a pretty cool show, however, something I couldn't stand was how Simon was treated. Kamina and Simon were a dynamic duo, yet pretty much 80% of the characters failed to see that. All they did was dick ride Kamina. Now me personally, i think Kamina is a cool character, he is a natural born leader and outgoing, while Simon is more timid. Simon helped Kamina get out of sticky situations and win the battle, even Kamina acknowledges that. Unfortunately, everyone just sees Kamina as a hero and ignores Simon. The worst part was when Kamina died, literally nobody seemed to give a shit about Simon. Some of these people knew how important Kamina was to Simon, yet they didn't give a fuck. That shit was honestly insane to think about. The only people that were there for him was that little mole rat thing and Nia. Rossiu, (even though I started to hate him a lot later on in the series) actually had a shred of human emotion and acknowledged the fact that Simon was in pain, only to be stopped by Yoko. Even though it was a pathetic, halfhearted attempt, at least it seemed like he gave a shit compared to others. Absolutely nobody was there for him or tried to comfort him. Honestly, that changed my whole view on the series.

Putting all that shit aside, the fight scenes go hard because of the team work and unity, however, I still can't ignore the fact that Simon was treated like fucking shit. Once Simon did something, everyone went fucking crazy for him, even though he was doing what he was doing the whole time, even when Kamina was alive. But yeah, Gurren Lagaan is a 9/10.

facts 🗣️
now watch Gundam The Origin.
Aug 13, 2022 9:45 PM

May 2017
The reason Simon was getting shunned was because he could barely fight anymore and he tried too much to be like Kamina putting everyone in danger. They gave him time to come back to his senses but he couldn't. Nia was the one person to get him out of his depression because she was an outsider and could see Simon for who he is instead of a Kamina tryhard. After his speech in episode 11, everyone started to see that.
Aug 13, 2022 9:47 PM
Feb 2022
LeftRightBitch said:
[SPOILER WARNING]

Good analysis. I agree
Aug 13, 2022 11:35 PM
Jul 2018
On what basis do you think that no one gives a fuck about Simon? Provide some sources because it kinda looks like you just assumed it out of the blue.
Aug 14, 2022 12:16 AM

May 2021
That was the point..
Aug 14, 2022 1:41 AM
Jun 2020
I can see where you are coming from but I think they just got angry at him because he kept trying to be like Kamina and lead the way for everyone like Kamina would have if he was still alive but he kept failing at it miserably and constantly putting them in danger. And if I remember correctly, this went on for quite a while, not just one or two times, so they got annoyed with him because he’s not just being useless but also putting them in danger.
Aug 14, 2022 3:32 AM

Jan 2021
The entire show revolved around the theme of 'the rise of the underdog', which is explicitly portrayed with humans living underground in the beginning.
Simon embodied that theme more than anyone else. That's what his journey was about, and that's what the story was about.
Aug 14, 2022 7:54 AM
Aug 2021
That's not just some "mole rat thing" his name is Boota.
Aug 14, 2022 12:25 PM
Aug 2022
I think that’s the entire point of this duo. Kamina always fought his hardest no matter the circumstance and brought everyone near him together. Simon would always want to do the opposite thinking what he would was his complete best.

He does get some character growth towards the end obviously. Kamina was meant to be some sort of teacher / idol to Simon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1154 by skullcandy123166 »»
Jun 17, 4:17 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Sep 1, 2007

162 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 30, 8:04 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 25, 2007

180 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 30, 7:33 PM

» Too much sexism and homophobia here, I feel bad

Dije - May 10

22 by KayKimii »»
May 10, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.