Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 18, 2021 7:52 AM

Feb 2021
I have seen quite a few anime that are praised and ranked highly on this site. With every show I can understand why it is loved and why it is ranked so high. But I can not say the same with FMAB. I really do not get why people love the show so much and consider it "The Greatest Of All Time". I have asked different people several times why they think this is a perfect show, but could not get a proper, well thought out, understandable answer. I have created this forum in order to have a proper discussion on to why YOU think this is the best anime and why you love it so much. Please be civil and explain yourselves properly. I do not want to spread any hate or toxicity therefore if you can't answer my question please restrain yourselves from posting on this forum post. I am just very curious.
Oct 18, 2021 8:03 AM
Jan 2021
I won't say it's the best but yeah it was quit good in my opinion for me to give it 10/10.
Oct 18, 2021 8:07 AM

Sep 2019
Has one of the best anime endings and I think that’s why it’s praised so high. Most shouen anime have crap endings. Also, the character development for Ed, Al, Scar, Roy and pride were done well. The flashbacks are makes you feel for the characters and it gives you an understanding of the world and how some of the alchemist become how they are. I think personally there is no glaring weakness to the anime. It has good animation for its time, good OST, a great ending, good fights, decent power system and the characters are endearing and funny. The show also slows the viewers to see both sides and each character feels like they have a purpose. Greed you see become sympathetic even. You also have good side villains like Solf Kimble. Lastly you have great themes about revenge, what is humanity, equivalent exchange and morality.
JosodaLosoOct 18, 2021 8:19 AM
Oct 18, 2021 8:08 AM
Sep 2020
Maybe because it simply isn't lacking in any aspect. The characters are great, the story is interesting, the music is good, animations and fights are a treat, voice acting is commendable. So one can't easily figure out any weak points of the show. There were peak moments, great plot progression and a thrill to move on to the next episode. So yeah, overall no other series in terms of being "perfect" comes close to this. Though it's not my favorite, it's still a strong 9/10.
Oct 18, 2021 8:08 AM

Feb 2021
JosodaLoso said:
Has one of the nest anime endings and I think that’s why it’s praised so high. Most shouen anime have crap endings. Also, the character development for Ed, Al, Scar, Roy and pride were done well. Father’s foil to Ed is cool and I personally love the Sins.
Can you please elaborate on the points you have listed?
Oct 18, 2021 8:11 AM

Feb 2021
Shrey_Hehe_ said:
Maybe because it simply isn't lacking in any aspect. The characters are great, the story is interesting, the music is good, animations and fights are a treat, voice acting is commendable. So one can't easily figure out any weak points of the show. There were peak moments, great plot progression and a thrill to move on to the next episode. So yeah, overall no other series in terms of being "perfect" comes close to this. Though it's not my favorite, it's still a strong 9/10.
But what makes the characters so great? What were the peaks and why were they good?
Oct 18, 2021 8:13 AM

Jan 2021
Well, anything like this is always subjective, but anyways:

For me, it pretty much comes down to the fact that it does everything (except comedy) very well, or perhaps that it does nothing badly (again, except comedy). The story is gripping, well-paced, and free of unrelated subplots for it's entire run. There are tons of memorable characters, many of whom have compelling arcs that I was invested in seeing through, and the show delivers on every single of those arcs. The sense of scale and worldbuilding are top-class as well; it did not take long for me to understand the world and how it operated, and everything that subverted that normalcy felt organic. There is a pretty solid amount of thematic depth and sociopolitical commentary. The animation is obviously fantastic. Add onto all of that what is, in my opinion, the best ending in anime, and you have yourself a masterpiece. There are shows that I've seen that do one or two aspects better, but very few pull off every aspect so consistently well.

Ultimately, it comes down to each person. Not everyone will think the same way I do, but that's why it's in my top three shows of all time, and top 5 anime period.
Oct 18, 2021 8:16 AM
Apr 2021
Because it's perfect in every regard in my opinion. It lacks nothing.
Oct 18, 2021 8:19 AM
Jul 2021
Bc the plot was basically perfect the ending was amazing and i cant find that it didnt work in this anime everythink they wanted do it happened with the perfect way
Oct 18, 2021 8:26 AM
Jan 2021
elderonn said:
I have seen quite a few anime that are praised and ranked highly on this site. With every show I can understand why it is loved and why it is ranked so high. But I can not say the same with FMAB. I really do not get why people love the show so much and consider it "The Greatest Of All Time". I have asked different people several times why they think this is a perfect show, but could not get a proper, well thought out, understandable answer. I have created this forum in order to have a proper discussion on to why YOU think this is the best anime and why you love it so much. Please be civil and explain yourselves properly. I do not want to spread any hate or toxicity therefore if you can't answer my question please restrain yourselves from posting on this forum post. I am just very curious.
One thing that I love about fmab is his fanbase
Oct 18, 2021 8:26 AM

Sep 2019
elderonn said:
JosodaLoso said:
Has one of the nest anime endings and I think that’s why it’s praised so high. Most shouen anime have crap endings. Also, the character development for Ed, Al, Scar, Roy and pride were done well. Father’s foil to Ed is cool and I personally love the Sins.
Can you please elaborate on the points you have listed?
Throughout the series we follow Ed and AL and we see how trying to bring back humanity has caused them. Ed feels guilty for what he’s down and AL questions his humanity throughout the show. To save Al Ed makes the ultimate sacrifice. The Law of equivalent exchange is addressed throughout the series so it’s a perfect ending. Also you have Lust, greed and envy who are homunculi but they’re tryna be human. They perfectly showcase the 7 deadly sins in humans. Morality is shown with Shou tucker and Hohenhiem. What Shou Tucker did was wrong but he felt it was a necessary evil for his research that will help humanity.
Oct 18, 2021 8:27 AM
Jun 2021
Yup, it's the same with me
I think it's a great show so I gave it a solid 8/10. But still I can't get why it is the highest ranked on mal and why people call it "best anime of all time". The characters were kinda annoying (repeating the same thing like 10 times) the pacing of first half was kinda off, it didn't had much emotional impact. The last few episodes were an absolute banger tho. This show really saved the best part for the end.
Not really an answer to your question but just wanted to share my thoughts
Oct 18, 2021 8:41 AM
Feb 2020
elderonn said:
it's not the best or my favorite however it's clear why it's ranked so high, it has a large amount of good to great characters and a really great all around story with good action. It's very obvious why people like it. I don't agree it's the best but it is easy for a large amount of people to like it a lot.
Oct 18, 2021 9:08 AM
Jun 2020
It has -
Great story
Great world building
Power system is nice
Ending is best
Philosophy is great
Animation is consistent
Characters are lovable (both protagonist and antagonist forces)
Story progression is great as well( in beginning it was quite rushed but that's just it)
Female cast is best, they are strong and their purpose is not just to be there for fan service.
Artstyle is unique.
And many other things that make this series a 10/10.

Only thing I didn't liked about this series is it's boss fight, but that's just it.
Oct 18, 2021 9:21 AM
Apr 2021
As fiction is interpreted subjectively, you can’t really be sure that everyone likes something for the exact same reason. In that sentence, there is also no perfect show/anime because the definition of perfection in this case is what satisfies individuals about this show. In my case, it’s that FMAB is my favourite anime. That’s because it’s, in my opinion, perfect regarding everything. And I watched it and loved it before even knowing it was popular or that there was an anime community to begin with, let alone MAL. There sure are great things people haven’t watched, thus rating this anime highly (because many good anime like Gintama aren’t watched by relatively many people). But in my opinion, FMAB didn’t really lack anything to make it less than perfect.
Oct 18, 2021 9:51 AM
Jan 2021
Here me out I have few valid reasons for it
1. It's such a well balanced story which is very hard to find in both modern and old shows
2. It has a complete satisfying ending which many people ask for from most top tier anime's
3. It has fantastic moments with a solid character development of main cast atleast they grow and you can feel it
4. Majority people watched this as their first anime so because of that it might be hugely popular
But all 3 reasons stated above are also valid reasons for this show's succes at last if I had to give it a score I would still rate it a solid 9.5/10
Oct 18, 2021 10:10 AM

May 2020
I don't know... It's ok, but overrated.
Oct 18, 2021 10:46 AM
Jul 2021
Rad_Scientist said:
I don't know... It's ok, but overrated.
just cos you didn't enjoy it as much doesn't mean that it's overrated
"criticism is necessary , insults aren't." ~ can't remember who i stole this from.
Oct 18, 2021 10:52 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
The main story is incredible so is the background story of the characters, fights are unpredictable and awesome, the anime is pretty funny and sad on the same time, the ending of Fmab is beautiful. In my opinion Fmab deserves this hight ranking.
Oct 18, 2021 10:57 AM

Sep 2021
These are my reasons
>The main reasons for its high acclamation is because it have a broad appeal, you can be of any age group and still find an interest in it.
>Explores a variety of themes like hatred, tragedy, revenge, humanity, vengeance, sacrifice etc.
>Alchemy is cool and the fights were splendid. Unlike most shounen protagonists, Edward knows when to withdraw a fight.
>The music is top notch and I often to binge at ost's like 'Xing Symphony' and 'To Be King'.
>Characters are greatly fleshed out with some of the best female cast I have seen in anime. The development of some characters like Hohenheim, Greed and Scar was magnificent.
>The plot was exceptional with great moments,spectacular reveals and the ending was phenomenal with everything packed neatly.
>There is little to no reason at all for me to hate this anime.
Oct 18, 2021 6:17 PM

Jan 2021
im actually with you on this one to be honest, it wasn’t bad, still well above average but i found it boring a lot of the time and the comedy missed most of the time. yes compared to most shonen it’s good, however if you’ve seen even a decent amount of anime there are simply lots of shows that had me much more entertained.
Oct 18, 2021 7:06 PM

Oct 2021
It's just perfect in almost every sense, even the most critical person will give it a 7.
Oct 18, 2021 9:15 PM
Mar 2021
Your mom

15 character thing
Oct 18, 2021 9:57 PM
Mar 2021
It is good in every aspect-
Story 10/10
Character- 10/10
Philosophy- 10/10

The anime gave balanced time to plot development,characters development

Non of episode is useless also non of episode is boring,being consistent for 64 episode is actually really hard because there are time when show has to go through mandatory explanations

Music ( bgm,op,ed) is amazing but still not perfect animation is ok-a-ish

As far as I remember it never do any character specific arc like killua is hxh,the whole 2nd half of toradora but still characters are memorable

At last the final arc is just amazing and it is also realistic if you compare to an average shonen
Oct 18, 2021 10:27 PM
Nov 2016
Hey y'all, your favorite FMAB hater here.

For some reason this FMAB piece of crap managed to push the right buttons on people so they ended up liking it but boy, this anime sure pushed the wrong buttons in me and I ended up disliking this overrated piece of crap so OP, you are not alone on this.

Not everything was bad though, King Bradley was pretty cool and he had pretty good action scenes as well, the ending was also pretty nice but that's about it, I disliked almost everything else and absolutely hated that forced shitty comedy.
Oct 19, 2021 12:58 AM
Oct 2020
I really like it because its a pretty consistent show, i didnt really enjoy the start but it gets better and the ending was pretty good too!
Oct 19, 2021 3:38 AM
Jul 2018
So I will try to explain why this series is so critically acclaimed.

Reasons:-
1. The story is appealing to everyone. It's a bit complex but not very much.
2. The world-building and plot twists are just incredible. The author has used great foreshadowing.
3. The story handles its themes in a very intriguing way. Every sin's death is ironic. It also discovers both sides of the war. How the victim felt and how the people who caused massive destruction have to carry the burden on their shoulders till the day they die. This is my favourite part. How can the strongest person in existence can still be weak if he doesn't understand the nature. How death can affect people. How cruel is reality and the Truth. All these themes are perfectly explored in FMAB.
4. Nearly all the characters play an important role in the story. But in this department, something feels missing.
5. The last and most important part, it has a good conclusion. Something which is really rare in shounen stories.

It was my opinion on why FMAB is a great anime. I am not saying that it is greatest of all time because there are anime which handle all the things I mentioned above in an even better way. It is also subjective whether or not you will even like the show. Because there are flaws in this show. The comedy was the biggest turn off for most people, many characters could have been handled better in the Promised Day arc. Don't even get me started on how they defeated Sloth. The biggest flaw for me was Alex and May could have been very interesting characters but they decided to use them for comedic purposes. So this was my failed attempt of explaining why FMAB is so critically acclaimed.
removed-userOct 19, 2021 3:45 AM
Oct 19, 2021 4:28 AM

Feb 2020
Because this is a shounen anime that feels very different from the rest. Edward is actually a great and intelligent MC unlike the majority of shounen MCs.

FMAB does a lot in its short episode count compared to other shounen the story doesn't waste my time like Dragon Ball, One Piece and HxH for example. Each episode is thought out and plays into the overall story. Ed and Al's motivations for getting their mother make sense and we can sympathize with them and we can sympathize with them wanting to get their bodies back. Their goal of wanting their bodies back is much better than finding my dad just because, becoming pirate king just because or becoming the strongest just because. This series also handles many themes and each character plays a role in the out come of the story.

Everything in FMAB makes sense and felt like it was there for a reason want proof just look at the way each sin is defeated/died even that has symbolism. And the ending is actually satisfying and again the story isn't drawn out for hundreds of episodes.
Oct 19, 2021 5:56 AM

Jan 2021
JosodaLoso said:
Has one of the best anime endings and I think that’s why it’s praised so high. Most shouen anime have crap endings.

That's probably because most of the shonen mangakas don't even have a clear idea of how they're gonna end their series. It literally feels like they're just going with the flow and postponing thinking about the ending until people aren't interested anymore and they're forced to write one.
Oct 19, 2021 8:44 AM
Feb 2021
While i do think the anime is overrated in this webpage
The anime is pretty solid with almost no flaws, it might not be the best in each individual point, but is great in everything

Great story, great world, great characters, great antagonist, great philosophy, main villain is just good imo

But everything else is great
Oct 19, 2021 8:56 AM
Feb 2021
RedZ21 said:
So I will try to explain why this series is so critically acclaimed.

Reasons:-
1. The story is appealing to everyone. It's a bit complex but not very much.
2. The world-building and plot twists are just incredible. The author has used great foreshadowing.
3. The story handles its themes in a very intriguing way. Every sin's death is ironic. It also discovers both sides of the war. How the victim felt and how the people who caused massive destruction have to carry the burden on their shoulders till the day they die. This is my favourite part. How can the strongest person in existence can still be weak if he doesn't understand the nature. How death can affect people. How cruel is reality and the Truth. All these themes are perfectly explored in FMAB.
4. Nearly all the characters play an important role in the story. But in this department, something feels missing.
5. The last and most important part, it has a good conclusion. Something which is really rare in shounen stories.

It was my opinion on why FMAB is a great anime. I am not saying that it is greatest of all time because there are anime which handle all the things I mentioned above in an even better way. It is also subjective whether or not you will even like the show. Because there are flaws in this show. The comedy was the biggest turn off for most people, many characters could have been handled better in the Promised Day arc. Don't even get me started on how they defeated Sloth. The biggest flaw for me was Alex and May could have been very interesting characters but they decided to use them for comedic purposes. So this was my failed attempt of explaining why FMAB is so critically acclaimed.
Can u pls list the animes which do all the things u mentioned in ur video better than fmab? Just want sone recommendations since I've run out of good animes to watch
Oct 19, 2021 9:38 AM
Jun 2020
Bushido_247 said:

I would say that if I didnt watch FMA I probably wouldn't have liked FMAB
Oct 19, 2021 9:38 AM
Jun 2020
Bushido_247 said:

Oct 19, 2021 9:48 AM
Jun 2020
Akira3210 said:
Yup, it's the same with me
I think it's a great show so I gave it a solid 8/10. But still I can't get why it is the highest ranked on mal and why people call it "best anime of all time". The characters were kinda annoying (repeating the same thing like 10 times) the pacing of first half was kinda off, it didn't had much emotional impact. The last few episodes were an absolute banger tho. This show really saved the best part for the end.
Not really an answer to your question but just wanted to share my thoughts

IF your looking for emotion, IMO FMA does a lot better. It hits different when you see Hughes be with his family and the Elric brothers be there for some part too
Oct 19, 2021 5:00 PM
Jul 2021
I don't think it's a number 1 anime but it's very much worth the watch. I gave it a 9/10,
Oct 19, 2021 6:34 PM
Apr 2021
DinoNugg said:
Bushido_247 said:

Haven't watched FMA yet, gonna watch it soon.
Oct 20, 2021 8:23 AM
Jun 2021
It's not the best anime.. but a 10/10 for sure.. it's perfect, Lacks nothing.
Oct 20, 2021 8:58 AM
May 2021
It has a great ending, great characters, great story, not one bad episode. It's generally great as a whole. Plus great op
Oct 20, 2021 12:18 PM
Jul 2020
xZabuzax said:

For some reason this FMAB piece of crap managed to push the right buttons on people so they ended up liking it but boy, this anime sure pushed the wrong buttons in me and I ended up disliking this overrated piece of crap so OP, you are not alone on this.

Not everything was bad though, King Bradley was pretty cool and he had pretty good action scenes as well, the ending was also pretty nice but that's about it, I disliked almost everything else and absolutely hated that forced shitty comedy.
O.O I'm seriously fascinated by this. It's not my favorite anime but it's fairly high up. Why did it bother you so much?
Oct 20, 2021 2:17 PM
Nov 2016
Sylvan_Sonata said:
xZabuzax said:

O.O I'm seriously fascinated by this. It's not my favorite anime but it's fairly high up. Why did it bother you so much?

If you want to know why I disliked FMAB then take a look at these threads:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1962927
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1963229&show=100

I'm doing what most of you would do if another crappy anime was rated #1, let's imagine for a minute that Dragon Ball GT (or another similar crappy anime) was rated #1, if this happens then I bet a lot of you guys would be in the Dragon Ball GT forum too, either shitting on that anime or wasting their time in it like I am around here but then again, we are all wasting our time hanging around in forums anyway, some people waste their time praising animes and other waste their time shitting on animes as well and other's do both (like I do), both are perfectly normal behaviour, that's what forums is about.

That's as honest as I can get about it.
Oct 20, 2021 4:53 PM
Jul 2021
in all honesty many anime fans I meet where I’m from (Australia) have never seen this anime, despite it being so anticipated. People love it because there are a lot of characters but they’re all got there on character development, personality traits and special abilities. They explain the conflict well and the anime is really well paced so that you’re not bored while watching it, but it doesn’t feel rushed.
Oct 20, 2021 7:00 PM

Mar 2019
Don't believe the rankings. It's the retarded fanbase that keeps it on top.

The show is pretty solid, with a great story, great narrative and ok-ish to good characters. Though I don't like "happily ever after" ending for a philosophical story, it was satisfying to watch. And somehow the anime studio respected the story and gave it their all to adapt it. It's a pretty good 8.5/10.

Anime was it's best 20000 years ago, when cavemen drew art with real depth.
Modern anime is all garbage. I miss great old days of anime.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 56 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DeviantKaos - May 9, 2010

208 by Ronin_4011 »»
Jun 2, 11:58 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DeviantKaos - May 2, 2010

232 by Ronin_4011 »»
Jun 2, 11:33 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 45 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 21, 2010

178 by DryAmeer »»
Jun 2, 5:24 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 46 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Feb 28, 2010

216 by Ronin_4011 »»
Jun 2, 3:07 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

976 by iwakur4 »»
Jun 2, 1:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.