Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 16, 2021 6:52 PM

Jun 2020
Can someone suggest me which one is better on your eyes? The old or remake one?
But please don't be like telling me "the old is better because it's classic" or something like that. Give your truly honest opinion, please.

Ah before that, is that 2018 really the remake from 1988 or both have the different story?

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
ー キノの旅 ー
Mar 16, 2021 9:19 PM

Oct 2014
Old:

- I liked the character designs better. New version character designs often looked too young and often had too-similar features between characters.
- I liked the classical music better than the more contemporary music in the new.
- Plot in new version was slightly abridged in places though I will say that the new did do two or three parts better than the old one. Plot was unchanged as far as I could tell though dialog and certain scenes were presented a bit differently.

New:

- Space battles and ships were better graphic-wise although the CGI made everything look copy-pasty and too "clean".
- Better backgrounds ie: interior and exterior of buildings, landscapes. Cooler ships.
- A limited number of scenes were done better.

Winner?

The old is better mainly for the music, fuller plot and character designs. The better art in the new version was nice but LotGH is more about the story and legion of characters than the space battles anyway. That said, the new wasn't the disaster a lot of the purists made it out to be in some of the reviews I read. Both versions are worth watching IMO.

The old I generally gave 9 scores for and 8's for the new so both are very good regardless.

As mentioned, the old is complete. The old also has prequel material (ie: the Gaidens and the My Conquest is the Sea of Stars movie).
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

More topics from this board

» Any anime where teen or younger characters are hypnotized?

Gfralp - 4 hours ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
3 hours ago

» "Ashita No Joe" or "Hajime no Ippo"

Inter_anime - Jun 4

4 by GCRyan »»
Yesterday, 8:14 PM

» recommend me anime different from what i like or hidden gems of any genre

1darling - Jun 4

9 by Ruschnav »»
Yesterday, 3:04 PM

» Looking for a good anime that has concluded

IdleSolution - Jun 4

8 by maliere »»
Yesterday, 7:54 AM

» looking for manga with a lot of secondhand embarassment and cringe

wormwormy - Jun 4

3 by RaviDavi »»
Jun 4, 9:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.