Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 20, 2020 12:15 PM
Dec 2019
so...i'm really into dark fantasy stuff and the character desigh looks cool.
i want to know what to except if i'll be watching, will it be yaoi? normal romance? half/half?
thanks (・ω・)
Sep 25, 2020 5:32 AM
Apr 2020
one character half/half rommance (which is not the main storyline) its more of a character development...
Sep 26, 2020 3:28 PM
Dec 2019
AgueroBG said:
one character half/half rommance (which is not the main storyline) its more of a character development...

thanks, i think i'll check it out if the romance is not the main focus ^.^
Sep 27, 2020 12:38 PM
Apr 2020
chitanda-0- said:
AgueroBG said:

It isnt the main focus but there wont be a character development without it.The whole manga is very dark and sad...
If you like dark manga/anime with different type of rommance this is it for you.
Sep 27, 2020 12:55 PM
Dec 2019
AgueroBG said:
chitanda-0- said:

It isnt the main focus but there wont be a character development without it.The whole manga is very dark and sad...
If you like dark manga/anime with different type of rommance this is it for you.

i don't really mind it if it's not explicit, and since it isn't, i'm looking forward to this it looks amazing (hope they pick a good studio)
Oct 3, 2020 6:35 AM

Nov 2016
It’s definitely very gay. The main character is a trans man and he has 5 main love interests (though 2 of them are pretty one sided and unrequited by Richard), 4 of them are men and 1 of them is a woman. There’s quite a lot of focus on the romance, especially the main (gay) romances for the first and second arcs.

In the first arc Richard is a teen/young man and the main love interest for him is Henry (their relationship will be introduced in probably around ep 2 or 3 of the anime). Henry tends to see Richard as more of a friend so their relationship isn’t explicit most of the way through except for a bit of horniness on the part of Richard. There’s also Edward as a love interest for Richard though it’s pretty much one sided.

There are a couple of instances in the first arc where Richard is at risk of sexual assault, gets his shirt torn to reveal his breasts, etc., but it stops before he’s actually assaulted.

Probably going beyond where a 1 season anime will go, but the 2nd arc where Richard is now about 30 years old is much more explicit and there’s a ton of romantic and sex scenes with another love interest from vol 10 onwards.
Oct 5, 2020 4:08 AM
Dec 2019
AnimeSocMegan said:
It’s definitely very gay. The main character is a trans man and he has 5 main love interests (though 2 of them are pretty one sided and unrequited by Richard), 4 of them are men and 1 of them is a woman. There’s quite a lot of focus on the romance, especially the main (gay) romances for the first and second arcs.

In the first arc Richard is a teen/young man and the main love interest for him is Henry (their relationship will be introduced in probably around ep 2 or 3 of the anime). Henry tends to see Richard as more of a friend so their relationship isn’t explicit most of the way through except for a bit of horniness on the part of Richard. There’s also Edward as a love interest for Richard though it’s pretty much one sided.

There are a couple of instances in the first arc where Richard is at risk of sexual assault, gets his shirt torn to reveal his breasts, etc., but it stops before he’s actually assaulted.

Probably going beyond where a 1 season anime will go, but the 2nd arc where Richard is now about 30 years old is much more explicit and there’s a ton of romantic and sex scenes with another love interest from vol 10 onwards.

thanks for the info
Oct 12, 2020 10:26 AM
May 2016
I read the first volume, and while some of the elements were there, it was more about the plot and character development
Nov 3, 2020 11:17 PM
Dec 2019
NG_Chloe said:
I read the first volume, and while some of the elements were there, it was more about the plot and character development

thanks for your answer :)
Nov 11, 2020 9:55 AM
Dec 2019
Vonssi said:
For anyone still wondering (as an avid reader of the English-translated manga of the series and up to date), the main character is intersex (as mentioned in the manga synopsis and Wikipedia - not trans) and because of how he presents himself and identifies in the story as of now, I will refer to him with he/him pronouns.
Yes, there are scenes that suggest and show explicitly a lot of intimacy between him and another/other male characters, however, the story is also very focused on historical power play and tragedy (as it is set during the actual War of the Roses and Shakespearean plays), as well as some explorations of masculine and feminine aspects of his identity (I'm sorry if I got any terminologies to do with gender/sex incorrect), so I urge that you still look forward to it!! Depending on how far the animated series will go, it will be a very emotional ride and quite dark : D

" it will be a very emotional ride and quite dark" *prepares a tissue box and popcorn* welp, count me in (thx btw)
Nov 18, 2020 7:54 AM

Dec 2009
I guess you don't have to see the many possible couples as gay because you can imagine the MC (Richard) as a girl, since Richard is intersex and feminine in a lot of ways. Buuut Richard was brought up as a guy and identifies as one so there's that. The romance is one of the main points of the manga too, this series is basically a harem, and it's clearly intended for a female audience. There are many things differentiating this from a yaoi but there also are some points in common so if you don't like gay couples and gay romance, I don't think you will be able to enjoy this story.
Nov 19, 2020 11:15 AM
Dec 2019
nakisou said:
I guess you don't have to see the many possible couples as gay because you can imagine the MC (Richard) as a girl, since Richard is intersex and feminine in a lot of ways. Buuut Richard was brought up as a guy and identifies as one so there's that. The romance is one of the main points of the manga too, this series is basically a harem, and it's clearly intended for a female audience. There are many things differentiating this from a yaoi but there also are some points in common so if you don't like gay couples and gay romance, I don't think you will be able to enjoy this story.

thx for your answer :)
i don't care that much about genders in a romance if it's good
Nov 20, 2020 6:50 AM

Dec 2009
chitanda-0- said:

Personally I really liked the romance, I thought it fitted well in the angsty drama and thoroughly characterised protagonists. The UST was super nice as well, if you're into that kind of thing. I hope you like it.
Nov 20, 2020 11:41 AM
Dec 2019
nakisou said:
chitanda-0- said:

Personally I really liked the romance, I thought it fitted well in the angsty drama and thoroughly characterised protagonists. The UST was super nice as well, if you're into that kind of thing. I hope you like it.

i LOVE angst drama, but what's UST?
Nov 22, 2020 4:03 PM

Dec 2009
chitanda-0- said:

UST stands for Unresolved Sexual Tension, basically it's when characters really love each other (unrequieted feelings count as well though) but for some reason they cannot express it.
Nov 22, 2020 8:49 PM
Dec 2019
nakisou said:
chitanda-0- said:

UST stands for Unresolved Sexual Tension, basically it's when characters really love each other (unrequieted feelings count as well though) but for some reason they cannot express it.

oh ok, thx for the info :) i have no problem with that
Dec 17, 2020 6:02 AM

Nov 2016
Vonssi said:
the main character is intersex (as mentioned in the manga synopsis and Wikipedia - not trans)

He's both intersex and trans - being trans and being intersex aren't mutually exclusive or really related to eachother closely at all. It's made clear throughout the manga (though especially in the next volume, 14, after where the English release is at) that his biological sex is female, so the fact his gender is male makes him trans.
Jan 27, 2021 5:42 PM
Jan 2021
Let's just say it is a really good drama/mystery/historical tragedy piece with an exploration into sexuality, gender, and romance that isn't the main point but crucial in the story. I own 7 of the books and I will be reading up to date when I can get more, been reading this one for years (stopped a year or two back because of money) but now the 3 manga series I was keen on collecting will officially be all made into movies~!
Mar 23, 2021 5:15 AM

Aug 2020
so is it like shinsekai yori , where the gay part was only a small part of it and nothing too big ? i am not big up for yaoi stuff , but things like shinsekai yori was more than watchable , even though a lot of people said it was gay and all that .....

or is it more explicit and focused on the yaoi parts than shinsekai yori ?
Mar 24, 2021 12:04 AM

Aug 2010
Nothing is explicitly shown or anything. It's more like a part of the historical era it is set in, power control on Richard's way to the throne and also part of character development.
Mar 24, 2021 12:13 AM

Nov 2018
it’s both hella gay and no homo at the same time lol
Oct 23, 2021 3:56 PM

May 2018
It's not gay. But it will make you feel like it is.
Oct 24, 2021 1:22 AM

Dec 2015
With this great voice actor as narrator ... definitely giving this a try. Though I got careful when reading "Shoujo" for the manga (first thought shounen but already wondered about the Bishounen guys) - without many other female chars listed (and no one as main) ... I already feared Yaoi/Boys Love - even though this isn't listed in the tags.

The setting is really great. Britain and that era.
Oct 27, 2021 3:46 AM

Nov 2016
klakson188 said:

Um, there's multiple major gay romances (Richard/Henry, Richard/Buckingham, etc.) in this series, up to and including sex scenes. It definitely is gay.
Oct 27, 2021 5:01 AM

May 2018
AnimeSocMegan said:
klakson188 said:

Um, there's multiple major gay romances (Richard/Henry, Richard/Buckingham, etc.) in this series, up to and including sex scenes. It definitely is gay.

Richard is half male half female so it's debatable. In manga during romance scenes he is mostly portrayed as female. (his overarall body is female but with both sex's genitals)
He is more like a futanari material than yaoi material
Nov 9, 2021 11:21 AM

Oct 2017
klakson188 said:
AnimeSocMegan said:

Richard is half male half female so it's debatable. In manga during romance scenes he is mostly portrayed as female. (his overarall body is female but with both sex's genitals)

so he has d*ck & p**sy at the same time?
Nov 9, 2021 11:49 AM

May 2018
Zesshhi said:
klakson188 said:

Yes, but they won't show it. Also he/she has female boobs.
Nov 15, 2021 1:40 PM
Jul 2017
AnimeSocMegan said:

Richard is not trans, he is intersex.
Dec 3, 2021 4:00 PM
May 2020
AnimeSocMegan said:

Oh boy sorry but you really got the manga wrong xD maybe you should read also Shakespeares' Richard or henry's play too to understand the actual depth of it. You say so many wrong things (it's not about opinion more like about understanding) but I am too tired and I think you should read the story again. How you portray Henry shows enough that you didn't get it AT ALL (also his whole traumatic background and how his issues with women because of it). Also please use spoiler tags at least. Also Earls's intentions and what he desires.

And please people who are interested in this story it's not SHOUNEN AI or yaoi at all. Richard is intersexual, and not born as a female. He's having both signs of gender, it was said a couple of times and also by the author. He has a strong identity crisis, it's basically quite a lot for character development...

Honestly, I think this plain Fujo behavior is just sad and I hope the story won't get any stamp because of it, the beauty of this story is that it's actually NOT about gender at all...
SeiliasDec 3, 2021 5:15 PM
Dec 28, 2021 10:15 AM
Jul 2021
😂😂😂straight up
Jan 6, 2022 5:43 PM
Jul 2017
I read the manga and it does have a bit of both gay and straight, in my opinion. Richard himself is intersex so it should have already been obvious that LGBTQ+ themes would be present in one way or another. From what I remember the BL elements aren't like, hardcore or anything, but unfortunately I feel like once the seasonal crowd gets in on this show once it starts airing they'll shit all over it because it's "too gay," same thing they did with Case Study of Vanitas back in the summer when people started shitting on it just because they THOUGHT it would have BL elements when it didn't really. I'm really excited for this show and I've been looking forward to it for a long time but unfortunately anime with LGBTQ+ elements, especially those on the BL side, almost always end up getting shat on because a pretty sizeable chunk of the anime community is homophobic straight dudes who can't bear to see two male characters even brushing shoulders.
Jan 6, 2022 11:04 PM
Apr 2012
klakson188 said:
Zesshhi said:

My man, honestly you got me at futanari, I am in
Jan 7, 2022 5:44 AM

Aug 2017
AnimeSocMegan said:

thanks for the info my guy because of that i won't watch it hahaha it looked interesting to me but eh if it's really that gay then i'll pass on it
Jan 8, 2022 3:00 PM

Apr 2012
AnimeSocMegan said:

There are no trans men here. He is intersex.
Jan 8, 2022 4:54 PM
Jul 2017
RobertBobert said:
AnimeSocMegan said:

Finally someone gets it, trans and intersex are two very different things. Also all the people calling Richard a "futanari" are disgusting, that's a porn term and not a synonym for a trans for intersex person, it's gross.
Jan 8, 2022 6:46 PM

Sep 2020
texasfangirl1999 said:
RobertBobert said:

Finally someone gets it, trans and intersex are two very different things. Also all the people calling Richard a "futanari" are disgusting, that's a porn term and not a synonym for a trans for intersex person, it's gross.
Yaa that's truly disgusting. People don't even think twice before writing something like that...
Jan 8, 2022 11:33 PM

Apr 2012
texasfangirl1999 said:
RobertBobert said:

ZXEAN said:
texasfangirl1999 said:

Yaa that's truly disgusting. People don't even think twice before writing something like that...

Well, many people don't even care about shows with simple premise, what do you want from a show where you need some kind of understanding?
Jan 9, 2022 5:53 AM

Nov 2016
RobertBobert said:

He's both intersex and a trans man. They're not mutually exclusive, plenty of intersex people are trans (it's actually a lot more common than with non-intersex people). For reference I've read the entire manga in EN and JP up to this week's final chapter.
Jan 9, 2022 5:58 AM

Nov 2016
Minonoke said:

Oh boy sorry but you really got the manga wrong xD maybe you should read also Shakespeares' Richard or henry's play too to understand the actual depth of it. You say so many wrong things (it's not about opinion more like about understanding) but I am too tired and I think you should read the story again. How you portray Henry shows enough that you didn't get it AT ALL (also his whole traumatic background and how his issues with women because of it). Also please use spoiler tags at least. Also Earls's intentions and what he desires.

And please people who are interested in this story it's not SHOUNEN AI or yaoi at all. Richard is intersexual, and not born as a female. He's having both signs of gender, it was said a couple of times and also by the author. He has a strong identity crisis, it's basically quite a lot for character development...

Honestly, I think this plain Fujo behavior is just sad and I hope the story won't get any stamp because of it, the beauty of this story is that it's actually NOT about gender at all...

I've read the entire manga in English and Japanese multiple times through, plus Shakespeare's plays. What did I get wrong exactly? And yes I understand Henry's trauma with women, it's a huge part of his character.

The manga is not a BL as it is not labelled/portrayed as such but it does have a main focus gay/MLM romance.
Jan 9, 2022 6:03 AM

Apr 2012
AnimeSocMegan said:
RobertBobert said:

He's both intersex and a trans man. They're not mutually exclusive, plenty of intersex people are trans (it's actually a lot more common than with non-intersex people). For reference I've read the entire manga in EN and JP up to this week's final chapter.

He was never a trans. He is an intersex man with female organs who has always identified himself as a man.

And it doesn't matter how many intersex people are trans nowadays, we are talking about a specific work in a historical setting. By claiming that he is trans, you literally deny the character's main problem. You can read the manga as many times as you like, even 100. This does not guarantee that you can understand it correctly.

And yes, this story is typical "legal" BL with an appropriate audience.
Jan 10, 2022 1:52 PM

Jul 2019
I am so confused about this thread, you are all saying different things and contradicting each other

The question wasn't even hard, I can't believe I had to read every answer here and still came out not knowing who the fuck is right xD
Jan 10, 2022 3:55 PM
Jul 2020
probably not much, or nothing, but the mc can be trans, dint know the perfect term, so im not sure
Jan 11, 2022 3:15 AM
Apr 2020
chitanda-0- said:
i want to know what to except if i'll be watching, will it be yaoi? normal romance? half/half?
thanks (・ω・)

Short answer, yeah it's gay
Long answer, yeah it's gay asf
Jan 12, 2022 8:14 AM
May 2020
MaxPlays91 said:
chitanda-0- said:
thanks (・ω・)

god sorry so much bullshit in one post. its not yaoi at all!!!

its an historical dark fantasy, nothing more or less. Dont listen to someone clearly didn't understand the manga at all.
Jan 12, 2022 8:26 AM
Apr 2020
Minonoke said:
MaxPlays91 said:

god sorry so much bullshit in one post. its not yaoi at all!!!

its an historical dark fantasy, nothing more or less. Dont listen to someone clearly didn't understand the manga at all.

You said it yourself, I don't care about the Manga, I watched the Anime and I didn't like it, the guy asked how gay it is and I gave him my opinion, a guy who have 5 love interests all males and you say it's not gay and it's not the main focus, people already said more than enough on this post regarding the whole story of the Manga
It's just my opinion and others who already posted here you don't have to agree with it
Jan 12, 2022 11:34 AM

Jul 2007
I went and read the manga after the first episode… I wouldn’t read it if it felt like a gay story y but this one wasn’t… i felt sorry for people born like Richard at the old century and I would say the story will develop to become more and more clear later as its nor gay
Jan 14, 2022 12:48 AM

Nov 2012
bugsboy said:
klakson188 said:

My man, honestly you got me at futanari, I am in

yeah my man lets go!

My Candies:

Jan 23, 2022 7:32 AM
Dec 2019
AnimeSocMegan said:

Btw I`m not sure if anyone told you already but Richard is not a trans male. He is intersex - meaning he has a mix of both male and female genitalias. His father simply named him Richard and I quess he decided to see himself as a male with male pronouns.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baraou no Souretsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2022

89 by Skoll94 »»
Mar 19, 3:00 PM

» Is this anime BL?

wazzupdog - May 23, 2022

8 by Mishiia »»
Mar 11, 10:40 PM

Poll: » Baraou no Souretsu Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2022

17 by KatastrophicNoob »»
Sep 8, 2023 5:40 AM

» Why the low rating?

removed-user - Jan 9, 2022

20 by Lucifrost »»
Aug 28, 2023 1:47 PM

» On this day 538 years ago…

monder_Killer17 - Aug 25, 2023

0 by monder_Killer17 »»
Aug 25, 2023 12:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.